• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Lusankya

Wow, the puzzle design sometimes sucks.
I have to clear a room using "Paralyze", but I don't have any ammo for it and the game didn't give me one in the last ten dispensers. Great, so I can't complete the puzzle room and my chapter grade won't be an A anymore and I have to replay the entire chapter for the trophy. A good way to decrease the motivation, really.

Edit: Okay, loading the last save point was enough, there was one dispenser I had overlooked. Still, why does the game wants to give me the ammo type I already carry the maxmimum amount of?

FluxWaveZ

I have to clear a room using "Paralyze", but I don't have any ammo for it and the game didn't give me one in the last ten dispensers. Great, so I can't complete the puzzle room and my chapter grade won't be an A anymore and I have to replay the entire chapter for the trophy. A good way to decrease the motivation, really.

I thought the dispensers right inside the arcade rooms always gave the player the ammo that was needed?

fourth chapter? happened to me as well, was really frustrated with it.

Huh, guess not.

When I was playing the game for review, there were a couple of times where I seemingly did exactly what I needed to perfectly clear out a room, yet the game didn't register it that way. It sucked.

Scanna

fourth chapter? happened to me as well, was really frustrated with it.

Jealous of everyone playing the game right now.

But the tracking info says my LE is estimated to arrive tomorrow, so I'm hoping that holds true and it will be here when I get home from work.
Mine has not even shipped yet. I feel like NISA is punishing those paying more money for the game.

Decided to watch the cutscenes while I wait. I like the 2D animation more than 3D model cutscene.

GamerJM

Banned
Christ, why is this game's opening so long? It took me like over an hour before the game let me save. I wanted to play through it to get a taste of what the game was like before I go to do something else.

Breads

Banned
I thought this was just a silly side story when it was announced.

The first 20 minutes looked like it had more of a budget than the entire first game!

Not much else to say. Trying desperately not to get spoiled so I'm not reading much!

FluxWaveZ

I thought this was just a silly side story when it was announced.

The first 20 minutes looked like it had more of a budget than the entire first game!

Not much else to say. Trying desperately not to get spoiled so I'm not reading much!

Yes, DR:AE has far more production values than DR1 or DR2, surprisingly.

Yes, DR:AE has far more production values than DR1 or DR2, surprisingly.
Yeah, I think AA5 had more budget than the others as well.

So far from what I saw of cutscenes, I am liking the story. Most of the kids are annoying except the green-haired girl. So it will be nice taking them down.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
When I was playing the game for review, there were a couple of times where I seemingly did exactly what I needed to perfectly clear out a room, yet the game didn't register it that way. It sucked.

I think if an enemy sees you, it counts as a "fail", even if you kill all of them the way you're supposed to.

FluxWaveZ

I think if an enemy sees you, it counts as a "fail", even if you kill all of them the way you're supposed to.

That's correct, I've had times where the enemies saw me while setting things up and I just went "screw it." During those 1-2 times where it didn't give me the expected result, though, I could have sworn I didn't get any kind of alert that they saw me, and I had set up the domino effect perfectly using the bullets they demanded. It was weird.

AE is a step forward for the series in everything in my opinion. Story pacing, graphics, although I don't see the gameplay being the same for DR3 I hope they stick to this style of game, with a nice 3rd person view camera and free roaming. Of course instead of shooting bears we would just have to find clues and solve puzzles and whatnot.

We forget though, DR1 and 2 were PSP games. Sure we got the remastered Vita version, but AE was made from the ground up for the system.

Roto13

You would not be able to make a decent third person shooter on a visual novel budget. It just wouldn't happen.

DanganRonpa 1 and 2 characters weren't even animated.

Lusankya

Okay, I finished the game and overall quite liked it. Mostly because of the story, but actually the gameplay was okay. I wish there were more and harder puzzle rooms and less shooting, but it was good enough.

Anyone has the platinum trophy already? Some questions:
- You need to get A rating in all 5 chapters, do you have to get an A for a single difficulty or can you change after your first playthrough when you get the chapter select?
- Is there any way to find out in what chapters you missed what collectibles? Or am I supposed to play through the whole game again and just search better?

BTA

If you care about trophies then I recommend the hardest difficulty. You get much more Monokuma coins there and you need a lot of them to get some trophies.
It's not even that hard.

Think I'll go with that, then. My copy will apparently arrive Friday... hopefully.

Hugstable

Banned
Restarted the game on Despair mode and already got back through Chapter 1 again, this time though getting the A Rank since I actually knew that Restarts could hurt my rank now and what the "Report Card" evaluation is. Playing through Chapter 1 on Despair though, it really doesn't feel much more difficult than the Komaru normal mode, at least with these starting enemies since they are pretty easy enough, especially if you can get the drop on the red eyes.

Stanng243

This game is twisted. The intro is incredible, and the game looks great. The weird part is when i tried to open the trophies tab, it closed the game. That was abnormal.

Trophy list hasn't be uploaded yet on Sony servers, you can't synchronize your trophies for the moment. It should be corrected soon.
Seriously, that's dumb. you'd think it would be uploaded before release.

As for the game, I'm not liking the kid in the mask.
Too much like a Nagito Jr.
I'm only on the second chapter, but does this game connect more to the others besides Toko,
Byakuya, Nagito and references to the first games characters?

Yomidi

So it looks like Amazon Italy delayed the game to 11th September. I have no idea why but.....I only feel despair.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

Edit: Okay, loading the last save point was enough, there was one dispenser I had overlooked. Still, why does the game wants to give me the ammo type I already carry the maxmimum amount of?

There's some other oddities I've noticed. For example, in one puzzle room, you need to use the "Link" ammo to view some numbers from an enemy perspective. Except I have a terrible short term memory and would have to use them multiple times before I would get them straightened out. Of course I had to reset...except when I restarted, I only had two Link shots when I originally walked into the room with like six, and all of the containers were already emptied. That wasn't enough to see all of the numbers in the room again (you need three at minimum), so I had to reset AGAIN to view everything. (Thankfully the numbers are static and don't change with every reset.)

OMG Aero

Does this game push the Vita to its limits or something?
I can't open the Twitter app or even the photos app while having the game running which I've never seen with any other Vita game.

Labrys

Does this game push the Vita to its limits or something?
I can't open the Twitter app or even the photos app while having the game running which I've never seen with any other Vita game.

It uses extended RAM. It might have something to do with the localization as the Japanese version didn't use it.

You can open options though, that's all I was able to do with it open.

Finished Chapter 1 last night, came back today to start Chapter 2 only to find that I've been hit with a glitch where I can't load my game. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do (unless somebody knows of a fix), which is pretty annoying- there goes three and a half very slow hours down the drain. Not a good first impression at all.

Well, I guess this will teach me to make sure to keep multiple saves going forward. Let's see how fast I can speedrun the first chapter.

LiK

LE arrived!

COAbOzEUYAAIu9T.jpg

I feel like I had heard about the save glitch a few weeks back. Definitely can't hurt to have multiple save files.

For sure. At least it happened early on for me- skipping scenes will probably make catching up pretty fast, since there seemed to be a lot of talking.

Edit: And now I'm all caught up again. It only took an hour, and this time I got an A rank and an extra collectible I never found the first time. It could have been a lot worse.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished chapter three and that made me extremely uncomfortable.
Komaru's sexual assault, the panty shots of a rape victim (who's also a child, and and to top it off you're forced to strip said child to her underwear.

Labrys

Komaru's sexual assault, the panty shots of a rape victim (who's also a child, and and to top it off you're forced to strip said child to her underwear.

Yikes, I didn't know if they were gonna change that/censor it, it almost completely slipped my mind. I'm not looking forward to getting to that point.

I went ahead and added a warning to the first post, stay safe everyone.

That made me pretty uncomfortable too. Like, having the backstory is one thing but having all that stuff alongside that backstory...I thought it was really poor taste.

Lusankya

That made me pretty uncomfortable too. Like, having the backstory is one thing but having all that stuff alongside that backstory...I thought it was really poor taste.

Yeah, that was certainly weird. I guess to lighten up the tone a little bit, because
she
has the saddest backstory?

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that was certainly weird. I guess to lighten up the tone a little bit, because
she
has the saddest backstory?

Yeah, there has to be some sort of cultural dissonance there, because certain decisions they made there aggravated things in a very wrong way.

Stripping down Kotoko or a mini-game for Komaru's sexual assault was way too much and highly unnecessary. The game has another weird moment like this where Komaru's clothes get ripped off during battle for some reason, but at least that wasn't tied to anything close to what Kotoko's issues were.

I'll say that for a game that could have been all about upskirt shots at all moments, it does an interesting job of avoiding that at most times.

Top Bottom