• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Scanna

FYI: There's a save bug being reported that happens at the end of Chapter 2/Start of Chapter 3.

If you save your game in between chapters 2 & 3 then try to load that save, it might not work. Always make sure to have a backup save and try to avoid saving at the prompted save after Chapter 2 finishes.

It happened to me between chapter 4 & 5. Now I can't play the game anymore.

Yasumi

Banned
*She

You're right. I understand that dark humor has always been a big part of the series, but I personally feel like they should steer clear of jokes to do with that specific topic
after the way they handled chapter 3.

Honestly, it seems perfectly in line with the issues the other kids have and is handled as such.

*Chapter 1 spoilers*
Masaru's alcoholic father physically and verbally abused him, driven to steal to supplement his father's alcoholism. He was terrified of disappointing his father, of being abandoned. In the game, Masaru kills a massive pile of "challengers" to prove his strength, and beats the shit out of his own arm to show he doesn't tolerate his own weakness. He's broken due to never being able to show weakness, it made him into a mass murderer. He killed his parents with no regrets.

*Chapter 2 spoilers*
Jataro was also abused by his parents, told that he shouldn't exist. His mother puts a mask on him to hide his good looks, but he rationalizes it as being so ugly that his face shouldn't be seen. He has to create a personal "safe place" in his mind to deal with the constant abuse, not just from his parents, but from his peers as well. He comes to rationalize that it's easier to be hated than to be loved. Jataro's interest in art and distance between himself and others has pushed him to become fascinated with dioramas, and he talks about finding dead bodies, and shows them with their limbs bolted through and pinned to crosses. He's also broken, turned into a sociopathic mass murderer. He also killed his parents with no regrets.

*Chapter 3 spoilers*
Kotoko's sexually abused from an early age for the sake of her acting career, her mother also prostituting herself. She wants a normal life, not that of an actress, but she puts up with the abuse for the sake of her mother's happiness. Her father cheated on her mother too, using the money Kotoko earned from acting. Her concept of sexuality is warped, distorted by the constant abuse. She doesn't understand that someone of her age shouldn't be sexually suggestive, she only has what she experienced with the producers she was prostituted too. The tickle machine is a sign of this. The clothes ripping is a sign of this. They represent the trauma Kotoko experienced. She's broken too, turned into a sexually abusive mass murderer. She also killed her parents with no regrets.

I'll stop there character-wise. Each of the children experienced their own unique trauma, and it effected them all very deeply, permeating their entire personalities. Unless your feelings come from a more personal experience, Chapter
's subject matter is really handled no differently than the other traumatic topics that are brought up.

LAA

Both the jap dub and theme are up in EU, I'm downloading them right now.
If only my copy arrived too.

Ah thanks dude. Been looking on the Web store and couldn't find it but was there on Vita store. Awesome! Now I need to make some space... (and I even have a 64GB card...ha ha.)

EDIT: Pretty annoying. They really hid the option to change language and you can't do it on a pre existing save. Only when you start a new game there's an option at the bottom to press triangle to set up an English or japanese voice. As I say I think I am fine with the English dub on this one however. Doesn't seem as bad as the others were. At least to me anyway. May beat it in English then japanese after at some point...

Kinsei

Banned
Honestly, it seems perfectly in line with the issues the other kids have and is handled as such.

*Chapter 1 spoilers*
Masaru's alcoholic father physically and verbally abused him, driven to steal to supplement his father's alcoholism. He was terrified of disappointing his father, of being abandoned. In the game, Masaru kills a massive pile of "challengers" to prove his strength, and beats the shit out of his own arm to show he doesn't tolerate his own weakness. He's broken due to never being able to show weakness, it made him into a mass murderer. He killed his parents with no regrets.

*Chapter 2 spoilers*
Jataro was also abused by his parents, told that he shouldn't exist. His mother puts a mask on him to hide his good looks, but he rationalizes it as being so ugly that his face shouldn't be seen. He has to create a personal "safe place" in his mind to deal with the constant abuse, not just from his parents, but from his peers as well. He comes to rationalize that it's easier to be hated than to be loved. Jataro's interest in art and distance between himself and others has pushed him to become fascinated with dioramas, and he talks about finding dead bodies, and shows them with their limbs bolted through and pinned to crosses. He's also broken, turned into a sociopathic mass murderer. He also killed his parents with no regrets.

*Chapter 3 spoilers*
Kotoko's sexually abused from an early age for the sake of her acting career, her mother also prostituting herself. She wants a normal life, not that of an actress, but she puts up with the abuse for the sake of her mother's happiness. Her father cheated on her mother too, using the money Kotoko earned from acting. Her concept of sexuality is warped, distorted by the constant abuse. She doesn't understand that someone of her age shouldn't be sexually suggestive, she only has what she experienced with the producers she was prostituted too. The tickle machine is a sign of this. The clothes ripping is a sign of this. They represent the trauma Kotoko experienced. She's broken too, turned into a sexually abusive mass murderer. She also killed her parents with no regrets.

I'll stop there character-wise. Each of the children experienced their own unique trauma, and it effected them all very deeply, permeating their entire personalities. Unless your feelings come from a more personal experience, Chapter
's subject matter is really handled no differently than the other traumatic topics that are brought up.

There are two major differences between the way that child is handled handled compared to the other kids.
1. You (the player) never abuse the other kids. With Kotoko you have to strip her down against her will.
2. I never got the feeling the panty shots whenever she fell down were to represent the truma they experienced. To me they just felt like creepy fan service.

Jazzem

Started this today, and the sting of the box being in shabby condition (thanks game.co.uk >_<) went off after playing, still very much has the Danganronpa spirit intact even with the change in genre.

I'm not too far in but my only concern is I'm also not fond of the kids...Komaru and Toko are a fun duo though that play off each other well.

15hrs in, just got to the last Chapter. I'm taking my sweet ass time looking for the collectible pages, posters and books. Some of the best moments in the game came out of me picking one up and having a small funny talk with Toko. I haven't finished the game yet, but it's safe to say this is my favourite Danganronpa so far.

BTA

The LE actually arrived this morning, so I'm pretty happy about that. Can't wait to start digging in tonight.

Eblo

Just got the game today and made it to the first save point. Is it just my imagination, or did Feep start to laugh
at the end of one of his lines in the first fantasy scene?

mankoto

I think that's Kinsei's point, and that he would like to see less of that kind of silliness in Danganronpa 3.

If you mean like Komaru as in having a romantic interest in her, he never ever implies anything like that. He likes her as a character after her speech, if that's what you mean, but it's explicitly stated that he's basically a pedophile and openly admits it. This is why Komaru says something akin to "It's kind of cute that he admits it, in a way," and Toko replies with what is basically, "Uh... what?"

Your interpretation is far too serious for what they were going for with
Haiji's character quirk.
Or maybe it isn't, and it just serves to show
how messed up or socially isolated he is. It is implied he and his father violently assaulted Monaca.

Maybe I missed something because I just passed that scene and that's not what happened at all.

You can see that convo here

She seems pretty uncomfortable being near him now. Which makes a lot of sense considering what she just went through.

There are two major differences between the way that child is handled handled compared to the other kids.
1. You (the player) never abuse the other kids. With Kotoko you have to strip her down against her will.

The best I can honestly tell you is that she's being attacked all over with very sharp scissors. So in a way you aren't forcefullystripping her as you put it. Her clothes are turning into tattered rags. That's the only way I can think of it making sense.
*Chapter 4 Spoilers*
Especially considering that's what happens when you fight Genocide Jack. If you get attacked too much, Komaru's clothes will be torn off as well. Granted sure this really isn't justifiable. But, it at that point, if felt as if if I have to fight another human (I'm near the end of chapter 4 I feel) their clothes would come off too.

Felensis

Banned
Got my copy today and just finished DR1 a few days ago. I've DR2 as well. DanganGAF which one do you recommend to play first?

Kinsei

Banned
Maybe I missed something because I just passed that scene and that's not what happened at all.

You can see that convo here

She seems pretty uncomfortable being near him now. Which makes a lot of sense considering what she just went through.

There's another scene later.

FYI: There's a save bug being reported that happens at the end of Chapter 2/Start of Chapter 3.

If you save your game in between chapters 2 & 3 then try to load that save, it might not work. Always make sure to have a backup save and try to avoid saving at the prompted save after Chapter 2 finishes.

It happened to me inbetween Chapters 1 and 2. It sounds like a good idea to just avoid saving and quitting between two chapters.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, checked USPS, it said it was delivered today with another package I was waiting for, I go upstairs & turns out they're waiting for me on the stairs!!

.............& then I open the CD case to find out the top part of the case cover is broken. Guess I'll find a spare case, but damn, WTF. First time I gotten a damaged LE from NISA.

Anyways, here's the track listing:

1. DSO_Danganronpa
  2. Let's Play With Monokuma
  3. Ultra? Despair? Girls?
  4. Cute Girl's Battlefield
  5. Wonderful Dead 001
  6. Warriors of Hope
  7. Genocide's Fever Time
  8. It's a Monokuma World
  9. Ultra Despair Girls
  10. Ultra Delusional GIrls
  11. We Cannot Change the World
  12. It's a Kid's World
  13. Versus
  14. Crying for Love in Hell
  15. The Way We Live

So my amazon order with free super saver shipping has been preparing to ship for four days and still hasn't yet.

I know its free shipping, but it usually doesn't take this long. Getting nervous. I want the game damnit!

Estimate is 7th-11th so I guess it can still come but its cutting it close.

I fear how crazy I'll go waiting for Corpse Party: Blood Drive. Its the end of the trilogy so I'll be really waiting that out.

Garraboa

Why the hell would my package need to go all the way to Chicago if it was already in Texas and just needed to go south?!

I guess I'll be playing next week :(

Labrys

Ugh, 20 minutes in and the
warriors of hope
characters are so annoying, so poorly designed, and so badly voiced that if I had the sense to buy the physical version I would already be returning it.
Everything else was great, lovely graphics, but not sure I can get past these.

I thought the same thing, definitely give it a little more, it gets better. As for the voices, they do too but if you wanted to try a change of pace try the Japanese voice track.

I'm playing the game with the Japanese VAs and the children are fine.

I love this game btw, it's great so far... even if I've been ignoring it a bit because of MGSV.

Labrys

I'm playing the game with the Japanese VAs and the children are fine.

I love this game btw, it's great so far... even if I've been ignoring it a bit because MGSV.

My second run is going to be with Japanese VA, right now I'm going through with dub. Monaca, Nagisa and Kotoko are the most passable, I cant stand the other two.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright let's start this & woah, these DR1 references in the opening.
Why was that rocket on the moon if it returned in the opening of DR1? & dat anime girl clock the otaku guy liked. Weren't those magazines the same ones in the Play Room in DR1?

Someone refresh my memory, who voices Komaru? She sounds familiar.

Hikami

Playing with English VA, the only person's voice I dislike so far is Kurokuma.. Everyone else sounds fine.

Thoraxes

So I have the JP VA DLC downloaded, however i'm not finding any options to change the voices.

In the System > Options menu there's nothing.

When I start a new game there's nothing.

What do I have to do?

Edit: Aw shit, I figured it out.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright let's start this & woah, these DR1 references in the opening.
Why was that rocket on the moon if it returned in the opening of DR1? & dat anime girl clock the otaku guy liked. Weren't those magazines the same ones in the Play Room in DR1?

Someone refresh my memory, who voices Komaru? She sounds familiar.
Cherami Leigh.

Roto13

Playing with English VA, the only person's voice I dislike so far is Kurokuma.. Everyone else sounds fine.

The two Kumas both sound kind of bad. I miss Monokuma as a character. I wish the robots were a Monokuma hivemind or something. Though that would make the puzzles weird.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You have to press Triangle somewhere on the main menu. I had the choice when starting a new game, I think on the difficulty.

...ah, you figured it out.

Kind of amazed at how many anime cutscenes there are, considering the original two didn't have any.

@FluxWaveZ: Couldn't quote due to your post containing spoilers, but considering how DR2 would avoid upskirt shots (despite...other fanservice-y moments), I'm not surprised they did it here either, despite free camera movement & Komaru having a skirt. Would I'm willing to bet considering the previous two games, there'll be (not sure why I'm spoiler tagging this)
some kind of bathing scene

Cherami Leigh.
OOH, Kneesocks from Panty & Stocking and Patty from Soul Eater.

......oohhhhh, & Asuna from Sword Art Online, that's probably why I thought the voice sounded familiar.

Just started this last night, on Chapter 2. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Is there a guide to all the hidden Warriors of Hope anywhere?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....the more I watch these CGI cutscenes, the more I'm getting a flashback to those awful stills from VLR where the models just looked terrible & creepy at times, like they look like clay or something, but it's just this uncanny valley of CGI. Doesn't help the movement at times is....off.

Like, the actual in-game graphics are fine (same for VLR), it's just when those cutscenes happen.

FluxWaveZ

I think the cutscenes are totally fine. The models just all have some kind of underbite or something else going on with their mouths that's odd, but other than that I like the cutscenes.

Just started this last night, on Chapter 2. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Is there a guide to all the hidden Warriors of Hope anywhere?
I'd like to know this as well. Maybe missed 2 in the 2nd chapter and 1 possibly in the 3rd.

Also, how do you give
the hitlist cards to Hagakure? After I returned to the secret lair I kept trying to give the 3 I had just found and kept getting awkward silence between Koko and Fufu.

I think the cutscenes are totally fine. The models just all have some kind of underbite or something else going on with their mouths that's odd, but other than that I like the cutscenes.
I only really noticed it with Toko.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, the mouth was easily the worst part, as I saw a close-up of Komaru's mouth & gaaah. I think the mouths were also the part that felt the most off in VLR's CGI stills.

I'll probably get used to them, considering how many they are, I guess it's just when they move around a lot like when you're introduced to the Warriors of Hope that it's more noticeable. Honestly, if they just touched up a few things, it's close to what I'd imagine DR in 3D.

So when do these hidden warriors & such start appearing? I'm still on the prologue & figured I'd try searching around, but the game was like "nah, you defeated everyone, time for a cutscene"

Oh yeah, the mouth was easily the worst part, as I saw a close-up of Komaru's mouth & gaaah. I think the mouths were also the part that felt the most off in VLR's CGI stills.

I'll probably get used to them, considering how many they are, I guess it's just when they move around a lot like when you're introduced to the Warriors of Hope that it's more noticeable. Honestly, if they just touched up a few things, it's close to what I'd imagine DR in 3D.

So when do these hidden warriors & such start appearing? I'm still on the prologue & figured I'd try searching around, but the game was like "nah, you defeated everyone, time for a cutscene"
You'll see a tutorial explaining it.

It doesn't start until late in Chapter 1.

BTA

So I just started this with Japanese voices, and it's kinda weird how the OP is just straight up the Japanese one if you do that, with no translated text for the character names or their voice actors. The logo earlier on is similarly not translated. Could someone please post a list of the Warriors of Hope's VAs? Some of them sound really familiar but I don't want to go look it up myself in fear of spoilers; even looking up the OP on YouTube is dangerous since I already saw something I wish I didn't in the related videos when I looked up the trailer on a whim a few weeks back.

And I think the cutscene/3D model style's weird but fitting, in a way.

GoldStarz

Does anyone know what an Excellent combo for the
Burn Bullet
is? I've managed to get one with literally every other bullet except that one.

GoldStarz

I don't know any for that one, but would you mind sharing the ones you found?

Break--Powerfully + Correctly
Move--N/A
Dance--Strongly + Harshly
Detect--N/A
Knockback--Painfully + Sadly
Paralyze--Gracefully + Beautifully
Burn--Energetically + Abundantly (Good Combo, not Excellent)
Link--Hatefully + Endlessly

Hikami

Break--Powerfully + Correctly
Move--N/A
Dance--Strongly + Harshly
Detect--N/A
Knockback--Painfully + Sadly
Paralyze--Gracefully + Beautifully
Burn--Energetically + Abundantly (Good Combo, not Excellent)
Link--Hatefully + Endlessly

They're not exclusive to the bullet type, you could use those excellent combos you listed on any bullet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Okay, I got a good laugh when you get your hacking gun back after
being modified for "game balance purposes"
, especially since it reminds me of (DR2 spoilers)
DR2's big twist at the end

.....though is there a reason that I'll find out later as to why "that" character is called Servant when we know the name of said character?

Edit: Man, I seriously dig the design of everyone's eyes/pupils.

Top Bottom