• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Lusankya

For the trophy (Japanese translation)

Always 10 thousand for 365 days

Get 10000 Monokuma medals

Do you need to own the 10000 coins all at once or is it enough if you gathered that many coins over the course of the game, but spent part of it on upgrades and Bling Bullets?

Dominator

Got my copy yesterday, but won't be able to play until probably around Christmas lol. Too many games eating my time and the semester just started. I want to give this my full attention, Danganronpa became one of my favorite series after playing the first two.

I've been watching a let's play of this on YouTube and watched till The Warriors of Hope were introduced - who are awfully designed and pretty insufferable.

So far the story has been uninteresting. It feels like something a 13 year old would come up with. Maybe I'm just too old? I'll keep watching to see if it gets better, but so far I feel pretty good about skipping this one.

kewlmyc

I've been watching a let's play of this on YouTube and watched till The Warriors of Hope were introduced - who are awfully designed and pretty insufferable.

So far the story has been uninteresting. It feels like something a 13 year old would come up with. Maybe I'm just too old? I'll keep watching to see if it gets better, but so far I feel pretty good about skipping this one.

So you watched half of the prologue? Yeah, the story's boring until then because only 15% of the characters have been introduced.

LiK

thanks for letting us know how much you're not playing this game and not enjoying it.

Yasumi

Banned

Would you like some confirmation with that bias?

Wubbys

Does thos game work on vita tv? I loved the first two and want to pick this up but i dont have an actual vita just the tv.

thanks!... so, anyone got any third-hand impressions? :) ...

So you watched half of the prologue? Yeah, the story's boring until then because only 15% of the characters have been introduced.
I want to imagine the poster watching LOTR.
It is a thriller, which has to build up suspense. It is not going to go all out in the first 10 minutes.

FluxWaveZ

This is coming from someone with a 999 avatar... incredible.

jonjonaug

I've just cleared chapter 2.

Everything about the game that's just Toko and Komaru running around the city while commenting on things and having various things happen to and around them is great. Everything outside of that is kinda...not.

Luckily once the prologue is done the former is 90% of the game.

thanks for letting us know how much you're not playing this game and not enjoying it.

You're welcome!
qV2HN1C.jpg

This is coming from someone with a 999 avatar... incredible.

Please stop acting like Danganronpa is even in the same league as Zero Escape. Comparing them is just....no.

I've just cleared chapter 2.

Everything about the game that's just Toko and Komaru running around the city while commenting on things and having various things happen to and around them is great. Everything outside of that is kinda...not.

Luckily once the prologue is done the former is 90% of the game.

Interesting. I quite like Komaru, so that sounds quite promising.

Bro I like started the first 5 minutes of FF7 and it was like all this green sparkles around and some girl appeared and I was like nah this is dumb.

FluxWaveZ

Please stop acting like Danganronpa is even in the same league as Zero Escape. Comparing them is just....no.

It's apparent you came in looking for a bone to pick, because I wasn't comparing Danganronpa's supposed quality to Zero Escape's. I thought someone who was a fellow enthusiast of visual novels and story/text heavy games would know better, but I guess not.

Judging a game like that by watching a YouTube playthrough for the game's first 15 minutes...? I can't even take your opinion on Zero Escape seriously now knowing that.

It's apparent you came in looking for a bone to pick, because I wasn't comparing Danganronpa's supposed quality to Zero Escape's. I thought someone who was a fellow enthusiast of visual novels and story/text heavy games would know better, but I guess not.

Judging a game like that by watching a YouTube playthrough for the game's first 15 minutes...? I can't even take your opinion on Zero Escape seriously now knowing that.

I apologise then. I misread your post.

EDIT: 15 minutes? Try a little over an hour. I'm judging what I've seen so far, and I'm not really liking what I've seen. Simple as that. Like I said I'll keep watching, but my first impressions are not good.

LiK

look, you already mentioned you're not interested in this game before so it's time to move onto something else. constantly telling us how you're happy to skip the game even tho you're not playing it is bordering on threadshitting. if you wanna watch the story play out in a LP, feel free to discuss it in the spoilers thread.

I love both ZE and Danganronpa and I don't like comparing them because they're each their own thing.

I played both and love both franchises.
But yeah, you can't judge a story-based 8-10 hour game on the first 30 minutes. Heck, Hatoful Boyfriend doesn't even get really started until you unlock the special mode.

If I judged Telltale games by the first 30 minutes, then I would have never played any of them.

hamchan

:-/

Dude, this is such an awful post. I'm surprised you even typed it up.

Geez, was my post really that bad? I didn't think I'd get slammed like I'm some kind of witch. I was just posting my honest impressions, sheesh.

LiK

Geez, was my post really that bad? I didn't think I'd get slammed like I'm some kind of witch. I was just posting my honest impressions, sheesh.

if someone went into the 999/VLR OTs and said "hey, I just watched an hour of the LP for this game and this looks bad. glad I skipped this dumb game.", how would you reply?

hamchan

if someone went into the 999/VLR OTs and said "hey, I just watched an hour of the LP for this game and this looks bad. glad I skipped this dumb game.", how would you reply?

Also "Looks like some juvenile created this one. I guess I'm too old for this nonsense"

Implying everyone who likes it is young/juvenile/not mature.

I'd say keep playing/watching? Oh wait, I already said I was going to do that in my post.

bigkrev

Is their a guide for Bling Bullet combinations anywhere? A quick google search turned up nothing, and I don't want to spend my coins on stuff that sucks!

Jeeez you guys are getting _very_ defensive about the game.

For someone who is insecure about the game (like me) it's good to have varied opinions and it's worth knowing that the beginning seems to be uninteresting. I also read his post as a subliminal question whether the game will stay this way.

Btw what's with taking avatars as a satisfactory indicator of one's set of beliefs? If this was the case I could easily dismiss every positive opinion with 'lol danganronpa avatar, bias!'

jonjonaug

Interesting. I quite like Komaru, so that sounds quite promising.

The Prologue is boring outside of
the five minutes of Nagito being his usual self while breaking the fourth wall
and runs way too long. Once Toko shows up the game gets a lot more fun. Think of it like the first hour or two of a Persona game. USG takes its sweet time introducing all of the characters and concepts, but gets good once it does.

I don't blame you for being bored by the kids though. I find myself struggling to stay awake in any cutscenes that just focus solely on them, and
their long "I'm an abuse victim let's kill everyone" spiels before every boss fight so far are just really dull and go on for way too long while just sort of repeating themselves, which is sort of surprising after how well Dangan Ronpa 2 was able to evoke sympathy for even the chef kid at the end of chapter one with just a few cheap lines.

I will say though that (chapter 2 end spoilers)
the mask kid's face reveal during his execution (?) scene was freaking hilarious

Also "Looks like some juvenile created this one. I guess I'm too old for this nonsense"

Implying everyone who likes it is young/juvenile/not mature.

If a
group of little kids with rainbow coloured hair that call themselves ultimates and are controlling robotic bears
isn't juvenile then I sure as hell don't know what is.

The Prologue is boring outside of
the five minutes of Nagito being his usual self while breaking the fourth wall
and runs way too long. Once Toko shows up the game gets a lot more fun. Think of it like the first hour or two of a Persona game. USG takes its sweet time introducing all of the characters and concepts, but gets good once it does.

I don't blame you for being bored by the kids though. I find myself struggling to stay awake in any cutscenes that just focus solely on them, and
their long "I'm an abuse victim let's kill everyone" spiels before every boss fight so far are just really dull and go on for way too long while just sort of repeating themselves, which is sort of surprising after how well Dangan Ronpa 2 was able to evoke sympathy for even the chef kid at the end of chapter one with just a few cheap lines.

I will say though that (chapter 2 end spoilers)
the mask kid's face reveal during his execution (?) scene was freaking hilarious

Thanks a lot for this write up. I'm looking forward to when Toko finally shows her ugly face. :p

FluxWaveZ

Btw what's with taking avatars as a satisfactory indicator of one's set of beliefs? If this was the case I could easily dismiss every positive opinion with 'lol danganronpa avatar, bias!'

I don't think you're refuting what I was doing by referring to avatars. Unless you want to be more specific about how that was fallacious?

BTA

For someone who is insecure about the game (like me) it's good to have varied opinions and it's worth knowing that the beginning seems to be uninteresting. I also read his post as a subliminal question whether the game will stay this way.

Same here. As someone who clearly wants the game in his hands ASAP, I can understand liking it a lot. But as I'm also someone who knows I'll likely have issues with some of its content, it's hard to see that people are already being so harsh about criticism (I agree that it could have been delivered better, but it's not exactly a big deal).

LiK

Same here. As someone who clearly wants the game in his hands ASAP, I can understand liking it a lot. But as I'm also someone who knows I'll likely have issues with some of its content, it's hard to see that people are already being so harsh about criticism (I agree that it could have been delivered better, but it's not exactly a big deal).

dissenting opinions and criticisms are fine. it depends on where it's coming from for me. but I'm done with this thread. gonna wait for the game to arrive and play through it before I come back and give my impressions.

Moonlight

Banned
I've played up to... well, a little past meeting Toko. Enjoying the game so far - and I mean the game so far - which surprised me quite a bit. It's rough, no doubt about it. There's something really finicky and over-sensitive about the shooting (and the camera pulls in way too much), and that married with the apparently finicky hitbox of the Monokuma weakpoints makes things very awkward, but chaining a bunch of nice shots feels surprisingly good, and as with anything Danganronpa, there's a real charm in the odd and occasionally clunky mechanics. In any case, I was expecting the game itself to be a slog, but so far I've found it perfectly enjoyable.

I obviously can't really say much about the story so far, but if I can say nothing else, it's that Komaru is a fantastic protagonist. She's certainly not remarkable in the way a lot of DR characters tend to be, which is a point the narrative itself takes great pains to remind us of, but she's anything but milquetoast (something I can't really say toward her brother), and almost kind of refreshing to see a character acting so... normally toward her circumstances. Even Hajime, which I would say is a character archetype that Komaru skews closer toward, normalized to his situation in a way Komaru certainly hasn't thus far.

With this in mind, I think my favourite scene with Komaru thus far has to be (very light chapter 1 spoilers):
her reacting so happily to Toko promising to help her escape. It's a surprising outburst, but given everything she's experienced so far it's completely understandable and cements a lot of Komaru's insecurities as a consequence of her imprisonment. Not to mention it sets the tone for her and Toko's amazing chemistry with each other.

It helps that Cherami Leigh fucking kills it.

Can't say overmuch about the game's villains thus far, but they're certainly a bit hit and miss. I'll say I really liked the implication at the start of their (end of prologue spoilers)
meeting with Komaru that they were about to induct her into their club before she, eh, 'ruined it'
. Monaca is certainly the standout of the group, which I'd say makes up for a handful of the shortcomings given how important she is relative to the rest of the members - her little monologue at the end was definitely well done.

Also, the UI is brilliant. I think I might still prefer DR2's just speaking toward my basic preferences, but it lives and breathes that surreal scrapbook pop aesthetic that the series embraces and does it without affecting utility. It's gaudy and vibrant and it puts a goofy grin on my face whenever I pull up the menu. It's good stuff.

And the little chibi characters in the corner own. My favourite is Komaru on the ducky ride, who's introduction probably gave me the biggest and dumbest laugh I've had playing the game so far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shipping was now updated to 3-day priority, though only update was from yesterday on "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS". I want to assume/hope since tomorrow will be 3 days since the shipping label was created yesterday, that's when I should get the game. That seems to be when I got the other DR LEs from what I remember, after 2 days when the game is released.

Roto13

Oh, wow, I guess you haven't seen defensiveness until you've seen people try to convince themselves that DanganRonpa is better than Zero Escape.

Hello despair! Just started it. I hope they explain more about how she was stuck in a building for 1 year and a half in a supposedly fine island?

Well, it's not like anyone would know she was there.

Nothing, my save file must be corrupted. This sucks, it seems I won't finish the game then.

You can skip the cutscenes if you want to give it another try. The game isn't really that long without all that story.

If a
group of little kids with rainbow coloured hair that call themselves ultimates and are controlling robotic bears

Do you really think there can't possibly be more to those characters than that?

jonjonaug

So in the end it's still not possible to have subtitles with the English cutscenes or am I just missing something?

Yeah. The subtitles are all hard coded into the video, and the original video doesn't have them. The reason that the Japanese audio pack is 1.8 GB while the full game is 2.3 GB is because all of the cutscenes are redone.

My guess is that the engine doesn't provide for dual audio functionality in the video files, or turning subtitles on and off. So providing English cutscenes with and without subtitles wouldn't have fit on the cart.

Steel

Banned
If a

Danganronpa's has always had juvenile over-the-top plot points(hell, everything about Ultimates in general is way over-the-top) and they're more than self-aware of that. It's their blunt attempt at mind-fuckery, which Zero Escape is better at. That being said, taking things at face value in this type of game isn't suggestible.

On another note: I nominate
Jataro kemuri
(very very light Prologue spoiler) as the most annoying character in any Danganronpa game.

Roto13

Danganronpa's has always had juvenile over-the-top plot points(hell, everything about Ultimates in general is way over-the-top) and they're more than self-aware of that. It's their blunt attempt at mind-fuckery, which Zero Escape is better at. That being said, taking things at face value in this type of game isn't suggestible.

On another note: I nominate
Jataro kemuri
(very very light Prologue spoiler) as the most annoying character in any Danganronpa game.

He's my favourite of the new characters, though. He's so weird. :p

Top Bottom