• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

BTA

Not clicking the spoilers since I don't know the specifics, but I've had an idea of some places this game goes that apparently aren't handled particularly well for a good while now thanks to people playing the Japanese version, so I'm thankful that there's a warning in the OP now. That being said- since it's spoilered I'm not sure it will necessarily help most people, but not wanting to spoil people makes that complicated, hmm. Maybe an additional less specific warning would help?

Labrys

Not clicking the spoilers since I don't know the specifics, but I've had an idea of some places this game goes that apparently aren't handled particularly well for a good while now thanks to people playing the Japanese version, so I'm thankful that there's a warning in the OP now. That being said- since it's spoilered I'm not sure it will necessarily help most people, but not wanting to spoil people makes that complicated, hmm. Maybe an additional less specific warning would help?

I went ahead and made it a bit more frank while providing a link to the ESRB page.

Also, got a C on chapter 2. Sorry, Feep.

Steel

Banned
I just finished chapter three and that made me extremely uncomfortable.
Komaru's sexual assault, the panty shots of a rape victim (who's also a child, and and to top it off you're forced to strip said child to her underwear.

Yeah.... Oddly enough
my first time through that part when Jill is figthing kotoku, I tried to use the spirit bomb on her
the game errored out and I couldn't even reopen the game until I did a hard restart of my vita. Even had to go through the emergency startup screen. I thought it was fitting.

VegiHam

Wait, OP says MSRP is thirty quid, but the PlayStation store wants thirty five? The heck is this inflated digital price stuff about?

jonjonaug

Yeah.... Oddly enough
my first time through that part when Jill is figthing kotoku, I tried to use the spirit bomb on her
the game errored out and I couldn't even reopen the game until I did a hard restart of my vita. Even had to go through the emergency startup screen. I thought it was fitting.

Same thing happened to me against the boss of chapter 5. It looks like the 3x lust attack thing doesn't play well with bosses.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I've ordered from NISA a half dozen times...

"Your item was undeliverable as addressed at 11:24 am on September 3, 2015. It is being returned if appropriate information is available."

Are you fucking kidding me?

And nobody is picking up on the Support Line right now, despite the fact they should be there another hour.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chapter 1:

Aw...
I was expecting Yuta to be alive at some point in the game like a certain someone in Danganronpa 1, sad to know he's dead dead.

I finally got my LE today.

I've started up the game, and played for a little bit. I'm enjoying it, although the game play is nothing special (but I don't like these sorts of games).

The story is interesting. It definitely has that Danganronpa feel, but it's different from the previous two in the general tone and atmosphere. I'm enjoying Toko a lot more in this than I did in the original game (although she grew on me by the end). The writing for both Komaru and Toko is pretty enjoyable, and they make for a pretty odd twosome.

fates

LE arrived!

COAbOzEUYAAIu9T.jpg

Mine arrived today too. I wasn't expecting that other box. I don't think they mentioned it on the features of the LE.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Yeah...just finished Chapter 3.
Up until that point I thought the game handled its subject matter okay... but that "motivation" game definitely went a bit too far for me.

Diablos54

Has anyone got a working link to the JPN sub DLC? The one in the OP doesn't seem to be working for me and I can't find it in the store ether!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Finally got my copy today :D

Does anyone knows how long this game is? I remember the first game being about 25 hours, and the 2nd one being about 30 hours. Is Ultra Despair Girls around that range or shorter?

jonjonaug

And finished. The first couple of chapters are slow, but the game really picks up in chapter 3.

Good stuff: The interactions between Komaru and Toko are great. The majority of the game is them talking to each other and I never got bored of their interactions. The gameplay wasn't great or anything but it was a lot better than I was expecting it to be.
Every moment with Nagito in it was superb. Komaru considering both Toko her friend was great, Komaru considering Jack her friend was great, literally everything about the power of friendship in this game was super great. Akira Ishida called me "garbage right until the end" when I got a D in chapter 5 and that was great too.

Bad stuff: The first couple of chapters are kinda slow and Monaca is kind of a boring villain at the start. The children are just kind of boring villains in general. Still having to spend coins to unlock stuff in the extras menu after clearing the game is a pain in the butt.

Are trophies not syncing with the PSN servers? I keep getting error NP-10234-0.

Me too. I asked earlier and someone replied that the Sony servers haven't been updated with trophy info.

I saw a thing that said to restore system and I lost all the trophies previously unlocked, although they are in my notifications.

Kinsei

Banned
So after chapter three and everything in it, chapter four has you
Team up with a pedophile, and Komaru says he's kinda hot for being so upfront about being a pedophile. It's obvious he's a villain, but still.

I really hope Danganronpa 3 has none of this stuff in it.

I haven;t found them all (I got the trophy after just one or two), but If I had to guess it's either 14 or 15. The reason I say that number should be obvious if you look at the names and read the descriptions of the ones you've found.

If it is
because they are related to the first games cast (which is what I originally thought) I don't think it's the case because
I found one that doesn't seem to be related to them.

If it's something completely different then I don't know.

Kinsei

Banned
If it is
because they are related to the first games cast (which is what I originally thought) I don't think it's the case because
I found one that doesn't seem to be related to them.

If it's something completely different then I don't know.

That's what I'm getting at. At first I thought I was wrong because I found someone that wasn't blood related but then noticed she was the manager of a baseball team.

That's what I'm getting at. At first I thought I was wrong because I found someone that wasn't blood related but then noticed she was the manager of a baseball team.

Oooooooooh.... Missed that tidbit.
read that she was a manager of a team but missed that it was a baseball team.

Hmmmmmm....

Also, I kinda laughed when [chapter 2 spoilers]
Komaru found the picture of Chihiro and his dad and she said, "I hope she's OK."

Hitagi

Neo Member
Game, theme and japanese dub dlc out on european store.
Jap dub 1,8 gb = RIP 16 gb memory card /sadfrog

Flandy

Just started up the game. Am I crazy or does this game have Anti Aliasing? Looks pretty clean for a Vita game. Maybe I've just gotten used to sub native trash :lol

jonjonaug

So now that I've cleared the game: Are there any guides out there for all of the notes/book/hunting card locations? I'm missing some, and I really don't want to miss out on the conversations about the
captives
, or any of Toko's "this book is SHIT" rants.

Once you clear the game you just get a percentage completion of how many items of each type you've collected throughout the whole game, it doesn't tell you which chapters are missing items...so I'd really like to have that.

Moonlight

Banned
If there's one thing I think would have improved the game's playability drastically without touching a single other thing, I think it'd have been if they added gyroscope adjustment to the aiming. So many fine adjustments to make aiming for the eye weakpoints that the stiffness of the aiming itself and the Vita right stick just isn't cut out for. I think the gyroscope would have been perfect for that sort of thing.

Lusankya

So after chapter three and everything in it, chapter four has you
Team up with a pedophile, and Komaru says he's kinda hot for being so upfront about being a pedophile. It's obvious he's a villain, but still.

I really hope Danganronpa 3 has none of this stuff in it.

Uhm,
he is not a pedophile, otherwise he wouldn't like Komaru. What he means with "the younger, the better" are young women (fully developed), not children before they hit puberty.

FluxWaveZ

Uhm,
he is not a pedophile, otherwise he wouldn't like Komaru. What he means with "the younger, the better" are young women (fully developed), not children before they hit puberty.

That's not how I took it. They were being pretty explicit about the fact that
Haiji likes girls younger than Komaru. Haiji straight up says that Komaru isn't young enough for him at some point prior to the one Kinsei is talking about.

Lusankya

That's not how I took it. They were being pretty explicit about the fact that
Haiji likes girls younger than Komaru. Haiji straight up says that Komaru isn't young enough for him at some point prior to the one Kinsei is talking about.

Hmm, I need to re-read this section then.
I thought he liked Komaru. Also why would a pedophile ever say out loud he/she is a pedophile? In reality pedophiles wouldn't even tell their closest friends or family members that they suffer from this psychiatric disorder, because they know how other humans pre-emptively assume they are all evil criminals.

FluxWaveZ

Hmm, I need to re-read this section then.
I thought he liked Komaru. Also why would a pedophile ever say out loud he/she is a pedophile? In reality pedophiles wouldn't even tell their closest friends or family members that they suffer from this psychiatric disorder, because they know how other humans pre-emptively assume they are all evil criminals.

I think that's Kinsei's point, and that he would like to see less of that kind of silliness in Danganronpa 3.

If you mean like Komaru as in having a romantic interest in her, he never ever implies anything like that. He likes her as a character after her speech, if that's what you mean, but it's explicitly stated that he's basically a pedophile and openly admits it. This is why Komaru says something akin to "It's kind of cute that he admits it, in a way," and Toko replies with what is basically, "Uh... what?"

Your interpretation is far too serious for what they were going for with
Haiji's character quirk.
Or maybe it isn't, and it just serves to show
how messed up or socially isolated he is. It is implied he and his father violently assaulted Monaca.

FYI: There's a save bug being reported that happens at the end of Chapter 2/Start of Chapter 3.

If you save your game in between chapters 2 & 3 then try to load that save, it might not work. Always make sure to have a backup save and try to avoid saving at the prompted save after Chapter 2 finishes.

LAA

Anyone know if/when japanese voices will be on EU PSN? English dub does seem better than how I remember it, but played the last 2 in jap

Prelude.

Anyone know if/when japanese voices will be on EU PSN? English dub does seem better than how I remember it, but played the last 2 in jap
Both the jap dub and theme are up in EU, I'm downloading them right now.
If only my copy arrived too.

Bad stuff: The first couple of chapters are kinda slow and Monaca is kind of a boring villain at the start. The children are just kind of boring villains in general. Still having to spend coins to unlock stuff in the extras menu after clearing the game is a pain in the butt.
I think my biggest let-down was the executions. I was thinking their executions would relate to their ultimates, but NOPE!

Kinsei

Banned
I think that's Kinsei's point, and that he would like to see less of that kind of silliness in Danganronpa 3.

If you mean like Komaru as in having a romantic interest in her, he never ever implies anything like that. He likes her as a character after her speech, if that's what you mean, but it's explicitly stated that he's basically a pedophile and openly admits it. This is why Komaru says something akin to "It's kind of cute that he admits it, in a way," and Toko replies with what is basically, "Uh... what?"

Your interpretation is far too serious for what they were going for with
Haiji's character quirk.
Or maybe it isn't, and it just serves to show
how messed up or socially isolated he is. It is implied he and his father violently assaulted Monaca.

*She

You're right. I understand that dark humor has always been a big part of the series, but I personally feel like they should steer clear of jokes to do with that specific topic
after the way they handled chapter 3.

Mepsi

Finally release date for this in the UK, waiting eagerly for the Amazon delivery chappy to drop off my copy =D.

Top Bottom