• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Switters said:
If you've just rung the second bell and haven't been through the catacombs I would recommend grabbing the divine ember from the moth boss and farming green shards from the slimes in the sewers, then upgrading a weapon down the divine path. It permakills the skellys and makes that section of the game much more bearable.

does divine do magic or anything

2AdEPT

i nerini del buio said:
So, I just killed Havel (btw good lord is that ring useful) and opened the door to darkroot. I'm a SL20 thief, is darkroot doable or should I go somewhere else before?

I think there are some parts of Darkroot to avoid, but most parts are doable...moon butterfly is the only boss so far besides Taurus that I did by myself without dying a lot....but haven't tried SIF nor the hydra. This level is VERY important to do at least partially before the depths and blighttown owing tothe plethora of easy moss drops form the tree creatures.

Darkroot is a grinding souls playground....most of the guardians of the immediate area near the bonfire and gate respawn. SL 20 is a little low to be taking on the ghost forms of the thief and knight in the area (although I pushed the knight off the cliff and he did not repsawn allowing me to grind the Cleric and sorcerer easily one ata time. each gives 2000 souls a pop.) If you are having trouble interrupting the cleric's heal spell just do the sorecerer.....if you beat Havel he will be easy. So here is a way todo it for lower levels and/or noobs:

ONe at a time is the key.
1.) GO to the left of the stairs a couple steps once down the stairs.
2.) FIre an arrow at the sorcerer (he is to the left in the forest jsut to the right of a tree at 10 or 11 o'clock if 12 noon is straight down the stairs.) DOn't go in to the trees after him or you will aggro the thief and Kight who are ghosts and you cannot lock onto them....dead in one or two hits at SL 20 (same as Havel but here you can't lock on).
3.) he will aggro and come after you; shooting souls arrows
4.) draw him up to the area near the doorway..lots of hiding places form thesoul arrow.
5.) get him to come at you, then get him between you and the cliff....depending on your weapon and stamina you can combo him three or four times in a row right off the cliff.
6.) ONce he is gone you can try getting the Kight out of the way...I died a lot but it made doing the sorcerer firtst over and over more fun. Once I pushed him off the cliff he didn't respawn, then I could go along the side near the cliff and remain undetected. Got to see the cat lady and attempted to get the chest where the mushroom people are, but as slow as they are, the mushroom things pack a good one hit punch so watch out! I purposely said no to the covenant so that I could grind longer...if you join the covenenant and attack the members they will permanently be aggro the rest of the playthrough.

TheBear

Is there a trick to summoning other players outside a boss door, or is it just wait and hope? I'm wasting humanity trying to find someone to help me with the Capra Demon :(

Speevy

Banned
bigjimmystyle said:
Is there a trick to summoning other players outside a boss door, or is it just wait and hope? I'm wasting humanity trying to find someone to help me with the Capra Demon :(

Beating this guy can be either easy or hard, depending on how lucky you are.

If you manage not to get trapped against a wall, you can probably get up the stairs, which is your key to healing and buys you time to kill the dogs.

Once the two dogs are dead, you can actually just stand outside this guy's range and let him swing a few times. Then hit him when he misses.

If you have a powerful enough sword you'll have him dead in like 5 seconds.

xuchu

Hey, I just beat the pinwheel boss in the catacombs but I don't want to venture forward onto the tomb of giants cos it's really dark in here (apparently I need an item to illuminate the way) Is there a shortcut back up to firelink shrine?

Septimius

bigjimmystyle said:

No. Just stick around and be patient. Everyone's experienced becoming nearly religious when waiting for these things. I could SWEAR that playing while lying upside-down would help people summoning me.

Remember that you can only summon people that are within your level range, which is +/- 10% in this game (which is REALLY, REALLY stupid when you compare it to the 10lvls +/- 10% that was in Demon's Souls. That would mean that a level 20 could summon a level 10 and 32, which makes for a lot more players than just 18-22). If you're abnormally high or low level, you'll be in for a tough time finding someone in your range.

Americanmushroom said:
Is there some kind of tool/way to 'teleport' between bonfires?

Yes, if you join a specific covenant.

Speevy

Banned
Question:
The Hydra in Darkroot basin, what shield do you need to block those things he is shooting at you?

Im assuming all this shit I'm carrying is worthless since I can't sell it. Any other need for me to carry loads of stuff, or should I be dropping it?

Speevy

Banned
abstract alien said:
Im assuming all this shit I'm carrying is worthless since I can't sell it. Any other need for me to carry loads of stuff, or should I be dropping it?

If you know you can pick it up easily from any number of baddies, drop it.

TheBear

Thanks for the help guys. I almost beat him first go without even knowing wtf was going on, and then he's beaten the shit out of me about 20 times after. I'm only level 17 though and I'm still using the Drakesword.

Speevy

Banned
bigjimmystyle said:
Thanks for the help guys. I almost beat him first go without even knowing wtf was going on, and then he's beaten the shit out of me about 20 times after. I'm only level 17 though and I'm still using the Drakesword.

Hell I'm using it at level 29. I just haven't found a better weapon, or should I say a better sword.

I could probably upgrade something like a spear or axe, but I'm so used to using a sword.

WTF GAPING DEMON... WTF; it's mostly one hit kills. I thought: ok i'm not gonna get eaten again: and now he just walk over me and instant death. My lifebar was full.. WTF!

Fuck fuck fuck, I got cursed. What do, GAF?

I'm in the middle of
the Depths, on the bonfire.
Are the purging stones sold by the
merchant/cleric dude on the top of the church?
Is it faster to go to New Londo? I have 0 souls btw :) They cursed me while
in Human form and I guess that
insta-kills you, right?

Halp :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
abstract alien said:

Don't drop it. Hold on to it until you get the Bottomless Box. Then store it. Later in the game (after ringing the second bell), you'll be able to sell it.

Risk Breaker said:
Fuck fuck fuck, I got cursed. What do, GAF?

I'm in the middle of
the Depths, on the bonfire.
Are the purging stones sold by the
merchant/cleric dude on the top of the church?
Is it faster to go to New Londo? I have 0 souls btw :) They cursed me while
in Human form and I guess that
insta-kills you, right?

Halp :(

Yes dude at church will sell it to you for 3000

Septimius

Americanmushroom said:
WTF GAPING DEMON... WTF; it's mostly one hit kills. I thought: ok i'm not gonna get eaten again: and now he just walk over me and instant death. My lifebar was full.. WTF!

He is a mean, big thing. But he's easy to deal with. When he throws his face to the ground, run up and whack him on the nose, once. When you're close to him and in front of him when he's down like that, he will start crawling forward. And that move does A LOT of damage, so stay away from anything that moves on him (legs, tail). But once he's done he has this incredibly long vulnerable moment. Hit him. Otherwise, stay away from his shenanigans and take of his tail. Also, stay away from the side that can pick you up.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
fought and killed the gaping dragon. much easier to kill than capra demon even though my attacks were superficial. Now onto Blighttown or do I go to defeat the butterfly boss? GAF help.

Septimius said:
He is a mean, big thing. But he's easy to deal with. When he throws his face to the ground, run up and whack him on the nose, once. When you're close to him and in front of him when he's down like that, he will start crawling forward. And that move does A LOT of damage, so stay away from anything that moves on him (legs, tail). But once he's done he has this incredibly long vulnerable moment. Hit him. Otherwise, stay away from his shenanigans and take of his tail. Also, stay away from the side that can pick you up.
hmmm... i can't seem to do him much damage (drake sword) even when he's 'down' and i try to hit his face. It's like only half a centimeter(lifebar) per hit. lol i guess it's normal but it's definitely harder then the gargoyles i think. Thanks for the advice :)

Grisby

Should I buy the poison ring before going into Blighttown? Is it super useful? I have about 15,000 souls and am wondering if I should level or buy the ring.

Grisby said:
Should I buy the poison ring before going into Blighttown? Is it super useful? I have about 15,000 souls and am wondering if I should level or buy the ring.

just grab the, minor spoilers,
Spider Shield. Its in the depths, drop down the butchers hole and grab it before dropping down to the rats area, if you don't have it already.

Grisby

odin toelust said:
just grab the, minor spoilers,
Spider Shield. Its in the depths, drop down the butchers hole and grab it before dropping down to the rats area, if you don't have it already.

Wait. I thought I got every item in that area. There is a corpse over on the far upper side but I don't know how to get to it.

Verano said:
fought and killed the gaping dragon. much easier to kill than capra demon even though my attacks were superficial. Now onto Blighttown or do I go to defeat the butterfly boss? GAF help.

lol for me it is the complete opposite. I killed capra demon at second try. Just killed the dogs then wen up the stairs, hit him, fell off the stairs then went back up hit him etc. very easy. Maybe there's something i'm really missing at gaping demon...

Grisby said:
Wait. I thought I got every item in that area. There is a corpse over on the far upper side but I don't know how to get to it.

Pretty sure you just have to walk to it. no trick. Drop down and walk around the outside edge, to the right iirc

Wimps

You don't need to be human to get better drops. You need to have humanity. Try it out GAF and look at your Item Discovery meter.

ok i understand his pattern,
i tried mostly in the back but didn't really understand that he was always going straight forward after 'falling down'. that made it much easier

Septimius

Grisby said:

Drop down the shaft behind one of the butchers in the early stages of The Depths

Sir Garbageman said:
Nope, is it in the central chamber?

No, after you
ring the bell
, go
down the stairs

BTW,
don't kill the egg hatching thing that's there. talk to it and say yes

I just noticed this lovely topic! I’ll post my question here since the Official Thread wasn’t responsive.

Should I use the souls and twinkling titanite to upgrade my black knight sword? I have been using the bandit’s starting axe, upgraded to +5, for the entire game (I am now in Blight Town), but am just now able to wield the black knight sword.

Better idea to keep working on my axe or just wait for something else? I kind of like the knight sword, but it’s a bit slow. But even un-upgraded it is doing much better damage than my +5 axe.

Where can I find Large Titanite Shard? Just had an epic 20-minute fight with
Sif
, even at SL58 he was great, in the end I managed to read all his moves, so I did the last 1/3 of his HP with no Estus.

Also, for all that is holy and mighty, someone point me towards a good weapon. I'm using Black Knight Sword (Halberd +5 is crap), and the thing is slow like hell.

LogicStep

So my new guy is SL 42 Stats are:

Vit 10
Att 12
End 40
Str 16
Dex 13
Res 12
Int 10
Faith 12

Out of all of the castings I think Pyro would be the best suited for this character I think... how exactly does pyro get more damage? I don't see it requiring int or anything so how does one boost its damage? I would have liked faith but pumping points into dex vit and faith seems a little much at this point. I would like to pump dex for the extra damage from the weapons I'm using and vit for health. What do you guys recommend?

Zomba13

Americanmushroom said:
hmmm... i can't seem to do him much damage (drake sword) even when he's 'down' and i try to hit his face. It's like only half a centimeter(lifebar) per hit. lol i guess it's normal but it's definitely harder then the gargoyles i think. Thanks for the advice :)
I just ran around his back. He head buts the ground, I run around him, he shuffles a bit I hit his tail area, he raises his head, I back off, rinse and repeat.

NIN90

What helped me tremendously against tough enemies and bosses was getting a decent shield. Just get yourself a Hollow Soldier Shield and upgrade it to +5. It's not much of an investment and I been using that exact same shield up until now (end of Blighttown, SL 38). It's just way easier to block attacks from Black Knights or the Capra Demon than having to constantly dodge because your shield is too weak.

Deadstar

So I just killed the
moth boss
and now I went to the top of the tower to find a
stone blacksmith. How do I wake him from his slumber? Also, who can create divine weapons? I have the divine ember now and I am playing a faith build. Also, where can I get more faith spells? I've had the same three for the last 20 hours.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
NIN90 said:
What helped me tremendously against tough enemies and bosses was getting a decent shield. Just get yourself a Hollow Soldier Shield and upgrade it to +5. It's not much of an investment and I been using that exact same shield up until now (end of Blighttown, SL 38). It's just way easier to block attacks from Black Knights or the Capra Demon than having to constantly dodge because your shield is too weak.
Ah thank you...I've been having the damndest time against the Capra Demon. I'll try this out

Septimius

Deadstar said:
So I just killed the
moth boss
and now I went to the top of the tower to find a
stone blacksmith. How do I wake him from his slumber? Also, who can create divine weapons? I have the divine ember now and I am playing a faith build. Also, where can I get more faith spells? I've had the same three for the last 20 hours.

He'll stay dead. Give it to Andrei (Undead Parish)

Raxus

I just got past sen's fortress after FINALLY beating the boss. I realize the heater shield will no longer cut it and I need a better shield. What should I do/get?

Top Bottom