• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Raxus said:
I am at sen's fortress and the serpents are giving me hell. Is the drake sword not even worth it at this point? Should I look to upgrade something else? Or should I go get another dragon scale from the hydra and upgrade my blade again?

In sens there will be a lightning spear, get it! You will love it. It's better than my +5 Raw Halberd. Just try to advance through the stage.

If I have 2 attunement slots can I somehow put the same spell in both slots so I have more of them? For example, having 10 heal miracles instead of just 5.

Sullichin

electroshockwave said:
If I have 2 attunement slots can I somehow put the same spell in both slots so I have more of them? For example, having 10 heal miracles instead of just 5.

Yes. Well I don't know where you can get those other miracles, but I have 2 slots for my fireballs.

electroshockwave said:

Sullichin said:
Yes. Well I don't know where you can get those other miracles, but I have 2 slots for my fireballs.

Mind...fucking...blown...

I just became the most monstrous Pyromancer on the planet.

Six attunement slots for the win.

duckroll

Ken said:
Where is it exactly?

If you find a chest mimic, kill it and you get it. It's somewhere in the middle of the stage. Kinda hard to explain exactly. I don't think most players going through it the first time will actually miss that room though.

hamchan

duckroll said:
If you find a chest mimic, kill it and you get it. It's somewhere in the middle of the stage. Kinda hard to explain exactly. I don't think most players going through it the first time will actually miss that room though.
Awww I was gonna explain but spoiler the chest mimic part. It's a really great moment getting eaten by the chest but oh wells too late now. It's after the Indiana Jones giant rock moment inside the building, on the bottom floor.

Raxus

duckroll said:
I have gotten pretty far. I am at the point where you can adjust where the boulder falls. I would have gotten farther but I entered a lift that was a hidden death trap. Am I close?

Also, what are the stats on the lightning spear (I do not have that yet) and the great dragon axe?

chris121580

deim0s said:
Try not to go right then. It helps a lot if you're mobile, less than half of your equip burden. Try not to lock as well, so you could maneuver to rid of the dogs first.
Thanks. I'm wearing light equipment so I can move quickly. I think locking on is my problem. I try not to go right but sometimes he forces me in that direction

duckroll

hamchan said:
Awww I was gonna explain but spoiler the chest mimic part. It's a really great moment getting eaten by the chest but oh wells too late now. It's after the Indiana Jones giant rock moment inside the building, on the bottom floor.

Well, that's why I didn't tell him where it is. Lol. Now he'll wonder about it!

Sullichin

electroshockwave said:
So I need 2 copies of the spell or miracle? I've only been able to buy one from Petrus.

Yeah. the pyro trainer in firelink had another fireball spell I could buy, already had one since I started as pyro.

johntown

Banned
hamchan said:
With that being said it is always a good idea to hit any chest first before opening it.

duckroll

Raxus said:
I have gotten pretty far. I am at the point where you can adjust where the boulder falls. I would have gotten farther but I entered a lift that was a hidden death trap. Am I close?

Also, what are the stats on the lightning spear (I do not have that yet) and the great dragon axe?

Sounds like you missed it.
It's in the room with the elevator going up that you turn left into when following one of the boulders down the stairs.

Ken

duckroll said:
Well, that's why I didn't tell him where it is. Lol. Now he'll wonder about it!

Well, after my first encounter with a Mimic in Anor Londo, I've been whacking every single chest I come across. :p

By the way, is it the same Lightning Spear that's dropped by one of the Mimics in Anor Londo? I have a Lightning Spear in my inventory, but I recall it not having great durability? If the spear is the same in both AL and Sen's, I might not go and grab it.

Here's the one I have:

160 PHYS/160 lightning/180 Durability

So my SL level is 40 and I really need some humanity. Do you think that I will be able to farm humanity at
Queelag
? Will I get picked up?

I actually prefer the sewers boss,
but I may be a bit high for that

Also I have a +3 lightning spear, but I actually prefer Halberds, so I actually wanna lightning that. Besides pole arm class, are there other weapons that I should look at? I just got comfy with hiding behind a shield and parrying, but I'm more than open to trying other swords and stuff.

Right now you could say that I'm a STR build. 24 str, 12 dex. 14 faith, so I could go faith build too.

Babalu.

Is there anyway to get the Black Knight Straight Sword if I've already killed the guy in the tower?

After looking at the weapons, it seems like this is the sword to get since i'm pumping strength and a little dex/endurance.

i'm using the drake sword right now but would like something new.

I was also thinking about the Zweihander but i'm not sure if I can use a shield with it or if it will be too big for tight corridors.

Anyone know whats a good regular (not slash) sword like that if I can't use these?

johntown

Banned
ssolitare said:
So my SL level is 40 and I really need some humanity. Do you think that I will be able to farm humanity at
Queelag
? Will I get picked up?

Also I have a +3 lightning spear, but I actually prefer Halberds, so I actually wanna lightning that. Besides pole arm class, are there other weapons that I should look at? I just got comfy with hiding behind a shield and parrying and etc.
The rats in the sewers are your best bet for humanity.

ssolitare said:
Queelag
? Will I get picked up?

Also I have a +3 lightning spear, but I actually prefer Halberds, so I actually wanna lightning that. Besides pole arm class, are there other weapons that I should look at? I just got comfy with hiding behind a shield and parrying, but I'm more than open to trying other swords and stuff.

Right now you could say that I'm a STR build. 24 str, 12 dex. 14 faith, so I could go faith build too.

I was so happy to see a summon sign outside of Quelaag.

I really wish you could move away from your summon signs. Drop one down and go farm or something, hope they fix that.

Raxus

duckroll said:
Sounds like you missed it.
It's in the room with the elevator going up that you turn left into when following one of the boulders down the stairs.
After toying with the boulder I went exploring before proceeding down and I ran into the elevator. I adjusted the boulder so it is not a problem so I am not worried getting back. I just have to get through SOOOOO many serpent guards to get to it and I hate the lightning mages.

Should I just use titanite shards to upgrade the lightning spear a few levels?

johntown

Banned
ssolitare said:
Well I farmed them for 30 minutes straight with the serpent ring and didn't get a single humanity. Keep trying?
Wow I got lots without the serpent ring from the ones closest to the bonfire. Back where there are like 4 or 5 of them.......at the end of the hall of near the one that jumps out of the box.

johntown

Banned
demosthenes said:
I was so happy to see a summon sign outside of Quelaag.

I really wish you could move away from your summon signs. Drop one down and go farm or something, hope they fix that.
You cannot move away from your summon sign??

Moofers

Is the "Bloodstained Skirt" worth hanging onto if I'm not going to wear it? I want to get 5K in frampt souls for it, but I'm worried there might be another use.

Raxus said:
After toying with the boulder I went exploring before proceeding down and I ran into the elevator. I adjusted the boulder so it is not a problem so I am not worried getting back. I just have to get through SOOOOO many serpent guards to get to it and I hate the lightning mages.

Should I just use titanite shards to upgrade the lightning spear a few levels?

That's what I did and I have no problems with that section of the place now. It's just the later place. Be sure to have lots of aarows ready :).

walbertsmith said:
Posted this in the main thread too, but it clearly moves way too fast:

Found some info on reddit that could help folks play co-op with friends

HOW TO EASILY CO-OP WITH FRIENDS

I'm not sure if many have figured this out yet, but I haven't really seen it posted here.
I was watching a stream of some dude playing Dark Souls the other day and he was constantly summoning his friend into his boss fights/areas. I asked him how he did it and he happily told me. Apparently, whenever you drop your White Soapstone, it's placed on a random server. If you drop it again, it's placed on a server different than the one it was before. So a buddy of mine thought we'd try out this guy's method of summoning his friend. My friend would drop his soapstone, and wait about 20 second, and drop it again until I told him I seen it, which I did eventually, every time. Sometimes it took five minutes, one time it took around 11 minutes, but that's because the first two times I seen his stone, he dropped another one before I told him I seen it, so the summon would fail.
TL;DR: Drop Soapstone near buddy every 20-30 seconds. Buddy should see it eventually when it lands on his server. Summon him up

Are you sure about this? I've been trying to summon my friend for 35 hours out of the 45 hours I played this game. We never managed to see each other's sign and we tried many different methods. Never had any problem in Demon's Souls. We both have our PS3 in DMZ etc.

I always assumed that switching server required you to quit the game and join again and even then it's not guaranteed from my own experience. I've ended up in the same server after quitting (same messages at same spots). It's really annoying because no one really knows how the lobbies/servers work.

Facism

Facism said:
how do you get the miracles associated with princess guard?

Wiki says i get the miracles through piscaca. Who ro what is a piscaca? The livechat is pretty fucking shit for getting questions answered. The guys who write it are proper up their own arses it's unbelievable.

BlindCommunication said:
Are you sure about this? I've been trying to summon my friend for 35 hours out of the 45 hours I played this game. We never managed to see each other's sign and we tried many different methods. Never had any problem in Demon's Souls. We both have our PS3 in DMZ etc.

I always assumed that switching server required you to quit the game and join again and even then it's not guaranteed from my own experience. I've ended up in the same server after quitting (same messages at same spots). It's really annoying because no one really knows how the lobbies/servers work.

Are you in different covenants? In the reddit thread, someone stated they found more success when they both left their covenants.

Edit: Also make sure both of your levels are within 10% of each other; if not, then you for SURE can't join each others' games.

Patapwn

54-46! said:
Regarding STR and DEX, how do I know if a weapon is a "advanced" or a "powerful" one?

Do you mean STR and DEX scaling? Because some weapons have high scaling S/A class, mid scaling B/C class and low scaling D/E /No scaling. (S high E low) The higher the scaling the more your STR and DEX apply to damage output.

If you have high STR and DEX a weapon with S/A/B class scaling might be a good choice.

Aside from that, you know a weapon is powerful if you hit an enemy with it and it dies :p

walbertsmith said:
Posted this in the main thread too, but it clearly moves way too fast:

Found some info on reddit that could help folks play co-op with friends

HOW TO EASILY CO-OP WITH FRIENDS

I'm not sure if many have figured this out yet, but I haven't really seen it posted here.
I was watching a stream of some dude playing Dark Souls the other day and he was constantly summoning his friend into his boss fights/areas. I asked him how he did it and he happily told me. Apparently, whenever you drop your White Soapstone, it's placed on a random server. If you drop it again, it's placed on a server different than the one it was before. So a buddy of mine thought we'd try out this guy's method of summoning his friend. My friend would drop his soapstone, and wait about 20 second, and drop it again until I told him I seen it, which I did eventually, every time. Sometimes it took five minutes, one time it took around 11 minutes, but that's because the first two times I seen his stone, he dropped another one before I told him I seen it, so the summon would fail.
TL;DR: Drop Soapstone near buddy every 20-30 seconds. Buddy should see it eventually when it lands on his server. Summon him up

Damn, I didn't see that - thanks for posting in here.

Wasn't common knowledge to me, but makes perfect sense.

Septimius

demosthenes said:
Hmm? I'll stay in the same area and it will vanish if I'm too far.

Is each 'area': "Undead Parish" broken into zones?

Yes. Each fog-gate or otherwise logically different parts. For an example, in the De
pths, you can stay near the boss room, but not enter it. You can go all the way to the frogs, but you cannot go back up the short-cut

It is the same way as in Demon's Souls. Fog gates logically splits an area like undead burg into different zones.

walbertsmith said:
Are you in different covenants? In the reddit thread, someone stated they found more success when they both left their covenants.

Edit: Also make sure both of your levels are within 10% of each other; if not, then you for SURE can't join each others' games.

We weren't in any covenant at first, didn't work at all then we both joined Way of the White covenant since it's supposed to help tremendously for co-op (according to wikis). And our levels are exactly the same, we figured out early it could be a problem.

Going to try your method tonight, hope it will work!

Are there any weapons out there that scale with strength that aren't huge slow swinging hammers / swords / axes? In hindsight kinda wish I went w/ Dex instead.

BlindCommunication said:
We weren't in any covenant at first, didn't work at all then we both joined Way of the White covenant since it's supposed to help tremendously for co-op (according to wikis). And our levels are exactly the same, we figured out early it could be a problem.

Going to try your method tonight, hope it will work!

Nice, let us know how it goes! Curious if it's a legitimate workaround.

Incidentally, it's not my method, just saw it posted somewhere and thought it could help here. I can't try it myself since I'm the only RPG nut amongst my friends (also the only one that loves crushing, soul-defeating difficulty in games), so it's not really for me anyways, hah.

elty

Can anyone recommend a place to farm souls early on? I read the wiki and it said the big skeleton gives 500 souls each near the ruin area from Firelink. The problem is the small skeleton there gave no souls and they are not weaklings. I have not even beat the boss in undead parish yet so the area I can access is limited, although I opened up the lower undead burg and have a master key.

I just want to bump my STA and STR a bit and make a +5 wing spear before moving on.

Thanks!

NEO0MJ

Pretty happy, I just beat the first black knight. I died so many times and wasted all my black firebombs for nothing. When I was going to quit I faced him one last time and countered him until he died. Was sooo happy that moment.

But this got me thinking about my stats. As a Bandit what should I focus on?

elty said:
Can anyone recommend a place to farm souls early on? I read the wiki and it said the big skeleton gives 500 souls each near the ruin area from Firelink. The problem is the small skeleton there gave no souls and they are not weaklings. I have not even beat the boss in undead parish yet so the area I can access is limited, although I opened up the lower undead burg and have a master key.

I just want to bump my STA and STR a bit and make a +5 wing spear before moving on.

Thanks!

Undead Burg is a good place; just keep running around there if you're just looking for a few souls early on without fighting anyone too difficult. Also, if you've got the humanity to spare, DEFINITELY kindle the bonfire there. So, so handy.

elty said:

Thanks!

Early on, try this, take the shortcut ladder from the first bonfire.
head up the ramp till you get the dragons attention, wait for him to rain fire down. Drop back down to avoid damage, collect 300 souls, repeat

Or, what I did was just run though the undead parish between the two bonfires over and over. Each run nets around a thousand souls plus, and I got much better at those mobs so I could get to the boss with full estus.

matmanx1

After several attempts I finally took out the boss of the Depths this morning. The boss itself was not all that tough but I neglected to deal with a certain sorcerous NPC before I walked through the fog door and ended up getting pelted before I figured out where the little sneak was hanging out.

The good news is that I gained enough souls for 4 levels and still have 5k left over for weapon and armor upgrades. I guess it's off to Blightown next but I need to figure out where that ring is that allows you to walk at normal speed in water first.

Mdk7

Guys i need some help... i don't know where to head next!!
I Killed
Nito, the Scaleless dragon and the Four Kings
I know i'm supposed to kill another huge boss, but i really don't know where to go.
I remember seeing a lava-like place from a cutscene, but
if i go under the Quelaag chamber, in the Demonic Ruins, i just see people with eggs on their backs and... the Ceaseless Discharge.
Nothing else.

Help please! :p

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm thinking what the best build will be for my thief, mainly using my bandit's dagger, with soul blast as secondary. What's the best build for my stats in this would you say, and what's the max for hp and stamina in this area?

vehn

Mdk7 said:
Guys i need some help... i don't know where to head next!!
I Killed
Nito, the Scaleless dragon and the Four Kings
I know i'm supposed to kill another huge boss, but i really don't know where to go.
I remember seeing a lava-like place from a cutscene, but
if i go under the Quelaag chamber, in the Demonic Ruins, i just see people with eggs on their backs and... the Ceaseless Discharge.
Nothing else.

Help please! :p

Go kill the stuff in the nothing else!

Ferrio

Banned
So i have yet to get summoned once... is it just not common to be summoned in the undead burg places? I remember being summoned everywhere in demon souls... this is kinda bummer. That's my favorite part :(

devenger

I have a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer.

I restarted as a cleric. How do I use the Heal spell?

I sat at the bonfire and Attuned Magic. It's now sitting in the "north" position on my D-pad menu (shield in the right, mace on the left). But when I push up nothing happens. When I push any and every button, nothing happens.

I just can't make the sucker go!!!

edit: and... new page, never getting answered ;)

54-46!

Patapwn said:
Do you mean STR and DEX scaling? Because some weapons have high scaling S/A class, mid scaling B/C class and low scaling D/E /No scaling. (S high E low) The higher the scaling the more your STR and DEX apply to damage output.

If you have high STR and DEX a weapon with S/A/B class scaling might be a good choice.

Aside from that, you know a weapon is powerful if you hit an enemy with it and it dies :p
I mean, how do I know which weapons benefit from either DEX or STR?

As far as scaling goes, I have no idea what you just said heh.

Top Bottom