• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Grisby

So this merchant before the gaping dragon is selling 'glorious armor'. Is this a wise purchase? I mean, I'm 15 hrs or so in the game and still wearing my warrior hard leather armor.

Also, this soul farming spot in darkroot basin, is that after blighttown or do I still have a way's to go?

So if I wanted to upgrade one of my weapons on the Lightning path, what would I have to do exactly?

I have my weapon upgraded to +5 normally, and I've read I have to get it to +10 before I can start on the lightning path. Is that correct? After I do that, is there a certain blacksmith that can do it, or would any do?

Thanks.

Phenomic

Okay Dark Souls veteran's lets have a spoiler filled chat about my progression shall we =D

Okay so I have to get those 4 souls to get to the final boss. Finished up Crystal Cave and the Abyss, so that leaves me with Tomb of the Giants and Demon Ruins. Last time I went to do both of these I pretty much got obliterated and was depressingly sad. Mainly because no bonfire + 7 Capra Demons = no fun and Tomb of the Giants is dark and the big skeletons tend to eat my face off.

Point being which is the best place to progress to next and which one should I save for last?

Also, if anyone who does read this wants to actually team up that would be good also. Not sure if I can do it tonight unless you own at the game and we roll face, but PM's for these areas are always welcome until I complete them if anyone's interested.

Raxus

Thanks for the help, I got the eagle shield. Now I gotta farm some souls to level up my endurance (again) in order to keep my quick roll before I go back to sen's fortress and continue the game.

walbertsmith said:
Posted this in the main thread too, but it clearly moves way too fast:

Found some info on reddit that could help folks play co-op with friends

HOW TO EASILY CO-OP WITH FRIENDS

I'm not sure if many have figured this out yet, but I haven't really seen it posted here.
I was watching a stream of some dude playing Dark Souls the other day and he was constantly summoning his friend into his boss fights/areas. I asked him how he did it and he happily told me. Apparently, whenever you drop your White Soapstone, it's placed on a random server. If you drop it again, it's placed on a server different than the one it was before. So a buddy of mine thought we'd try out this guy's method of summoning his friend. My friend would drop his soapstone, and wait about 20 second, and drop it again until I told him I seen it, which I did eventually, every time. Sometimes it took five minutes, one time it took around 11 minutes, but that's because the first two times I seen his stone, he dropped another one before I told him I seen it, so the summon would fail.
TL;DR: Drop Soapstone near buddy every 20-30 seconds. Buddy should see it eventually when it lands on his server. Summon him up

Reposted this because it works!!! After spending 35 hours since launch to co-op with my friend and being unsuccessful, we tried this method tonight and we managed to summon each other 6 times! Cleared Undead Burg, Undead Parish and Lower Undead Burg together.

This workaround definitely works, basically one of us planted down their sign and we would wait 1 min (instead of 30 seconds because we wanted to make it safe) to let the soul sign appear in the other person's world/server. If still no sign after 1 min, replant.

Took about 5-10 mins of planting and waiting in average. Though it's still really down to luck because we had to keep trying for one hour at some point before I could see my friend's sign. Fortunately it was much faster the other times.

Whilst it's far from being as smooth as it was in Demon's Souls , it's as good as it gets at the moment for sure. Seems like your soul sign switches from a server to another each time you replant it, no need to exit the game nor PSN/XBL.

Raxus

Where can I get some chunks of titanite so I can upgrade my thunder spear further? I already killed the 2 dark knights around undead burg and the one in the asylum.

Phenomic

Raxus said:
Where can I get some chunks of titanite so I can upgrade my thunder spear further? I already killed the 2 dark knights around undead burg and the one in the asylum.

Okay sorry I had to look up the name of the enemy.
The Darkwraiths which you can fight after you drain the water in new Londo seem to drop them in a pretty steady rate. I got quite a few from killing them over and over.

Question about upgrades, I gave the guy in the
undead parish
the tinder box from the
depths
. I boosted my Axe to +6, but now I can't seem to go any farther without taking it down the raw (ewww) path. It just doesn't show up in the regular improvement path window. I have 2 more large tanite shards, what else am I missing?

Raxus

Badgerst3 said:
How can I drop all the extra crap armor and shields I have?
After the second bell is rung a dino NPC shows up where the pond used to be and "purchases" items in exchange for souls. Be careful not to sell some items though since they can be upgraded to create other weapons.

LogicStep

Damn I can't decide what to do with my character. I kinda want to get some faith in so I can get some nice spells but at the same time it makes me feel like it will gimp my character in other areas. I think I'll just go with dex and use pyromancy spells.... That sounds good?

How many scales until
the stone dragon upgrades my breath attack?

A question about a certain weapon:
Is there another way of getting the uchigatana other than by killing the merchant?

GrizzNKev

Banned
I need a strategy for killing
Seath the Scaleless.

I have a fully upgraded lightning spear, and I know I have to
destroy the crystal behind him to be able to deal damage
, but in the videos I've seen, people just stand in front of him and kill him with magic without even getting hit. What's the best way to kill him up close? I get cursed and killed every time.

Phenomic

GrizzNKev said:
Seath the Scaleless.

, but in the videos I've seen, people just stand in front of him and kill him with magic without even getting hit. What's the best way to kill him up close? I get cursed and killed every time.

Do you have Pyromancy at all? Basically I just used the Iron Skin move and wailed on it.
Also I put on the highest curse gear I could find even if it had low defense

GrizzNKev

Banned
Phenomic said:
Do you have Pyromancy at all? Basically I just used the Iron Skin move and wailed on it.
Also I put on the highest curse gear I could find even if it had low defense

No pyromancy. Just physical attacks.

fionel

BlindCommunication said:
Reposted this because it works!!! After spending 35 hours since launch to co-op with my friend and being unsuccessful, we tried this method tonight and we managed to summon each other 6 times! Cleared Undead Burg, Undead Parish and Lower Undead Burg together.

This workaround definitely works, basically one of us planted down their sign and we would wait 1 min (instead of 30 seconds because we wanted to make it safe) to let the soul sign appear in the other person's world/server. If still no sign after 1 min, replant.

Took about 5-10 mins of planting and waiting in average. Though it's still really down to luck because we had to keep trying for one hour at some point before I could see my friend's sign. Fortunately it was much faster the other times.

Whilst it's far from being as smooth as it was in Demon's Souls , it's as good as it gets at the moment for sure. Seems like your soul sign switches from a server to another each time you replant it, no need to exit the game nor PSN/XBL.

Thank you for posting this. This sounds neat but if I get unlucky I dont think I would want to keep trying for an hour.

Phenomic

Can someone tell me what the 4 bosses are that I have to kill to get to the final boss?

*Perhaps there's only 3 that I needed, but I'm still curious because nothing seems to give me a final answer.

*Just found out I had the wrong boss in my head ... lol

Havok

GrizzNKev said:
Seath the Scaleless.

Did this about an hour ago - Always be circling to your right (his left side), attacking the tentacle thing there. The crystals should never hit you long enough to curse you (if at all), and when he charges up the blue ball, indicating a big crystal meth death party, bail out and run away until it recedes. Pretty simple all in all.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GrizzNKev!

*Boss name*
Seath
is
blind

There's a ring that could help you with that ;)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Havok said:
Did this about an hour ago - Always be circling to your right (his left side), attacking the tentacle thing there. The crystals should never hit you long enough to curse you (if at all), and when he charges up the blue ball, indicating a big crystal meth death party, bail out and run away until it recedes. Pretty simple all in all.

I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Thanks! It worked on my first try, he didn't touch me once. :D

Zimbardo

could someone tell me if there's a camp fire in the 'New Londo Ruins' area?

i was through there once and got to the 4 kings, but i couldn't find a camp fire. got killed and its a helluva trek all the way back.

bit of a nuisance.

masterofcoin said:
So if I wanted to upgrade one of my weapons on the Lightning path, what would I have to do exactly?

I have my weapon upgraded to +5 normally, and I've read I have to get it to +10 before I can start on the lightning path. Is that correct? After I do that, is there a certain blacksmith that can do it, or would any do?

Thanks.

id like to know this to.

For example, ive upgraded my Estoc to +5. it then dissapears from the upgrade menu when i talk to the blacksmith, and dissappears also from when i try to upgrade it myself at the bonfire.

People talk about giving the blacksmith something to get it to +6 or to upgrade it with magic..but i have NO idea how to do this. Any help would be appreciated as it isnt really explained in the manual or the game...

I defeated the gaping dragon, but wasn't able to get his tail off for the loot drop. If I get summoned into another's game, and try to take his tail off, can I get the item?

electricpirate said:
Question about upgrades, I gave the guy in the
undead parish
the tinder box from the
depths
. I boosted my Axe to +6, but now I can't seem to go any farther without taking it down the raw (ewww) path. It just doesn't show up in the regular improvement path window. I have 2 more large tanite shards, what else am I missing?

If I understand you right, get out of the Modify Equipment menu and go back to Reinforce Weapon. You should be able to get it to +7 on that screen now.

JimtotheHum said:
I defeated the gaping dragon, but wasn't able to get his tail off for the loot drop. If I get summoned into another's game, and try to take his tail off, can I get the item?

No only the summoner can see item drops unless he/another summoned drop an item.

Guevara

Got the hardcover guide! It is awesome and thorough.

Edit, and if anyone has specific questions I'm happy to look stuff up

GrizzNKev

Banned
Now that that's over with, I'm off to face the
Four Kings.
Any advice for them? I got killed pretty quickly on my first two attempts but that was a while back.

GrizzNKev said:
Now that that's over with, I'm off to face the
Four Kings.
Any advice for them? I got killed pretty quickly on my first two attempts but that was a while back.
take em out as fast as possible

Phat Michael said:
id like to know this to.

For example, ive upgraded my Estoc to +5. it then dissapears from the upgrade menu when i talk to the blacksmith, and dissappears also from when i try to upgrade it myself at the bonfire.

People talk about giving the blacksmith something to get it to +6 or to upgrade it with magic..but i have NO idea how to do this. Any help would be appreciated as it isnt really explained in the manual or the game...

Modify Equipment is for ascension -- so once you hit +5, you have to get out of reinforce and go to modify and choose the next branch of your path. Once you choose something there (Raw, Divine, Whatever), you go back to reinforce and you proceed further down your path for the chosen upgrades, repeating as necessary.

GrizzNKev

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
take em out as fast as possible

Yeah, I got them down to half heath on my first attempt just now. Not bad. But how do I dodge those purple homing attacks? That's my only real threat.

GrizzNKev said:
Yeah, I got them down to half heath on my first attempt just now. Not bad. But how do I dodge those purple homing attacks? That's my only real threat.
I didn't bother dodging. Key is take them out before the next one appears. The most I ever had on screen during that fight was 2 of them. Just block it and take the damage then keep whaling. Obviously heal when absolutely necessary.

GrizzNKev

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I didn't bother dodging. Key is take them out before the next one appears. The most I ever had on screen during that fight was 2 of them. Just block it and take the damage then keep whaling. Obviously heal when absolutely necessary.

Ok. I'll report back when I defeat them. I recently had the idea that completing this game should be a rite of passage. Turn 18, and play Dark Souls. When you finish it, people will see you as a true man or woman.

Havok

GrizzNKev said:
I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Thanks! It worked on my first try, he didn't touch me once. :D
No problem! That boss isn't that difficult once you've got it figured out, but the run from the bonfire to him just makes the entire thing so much more of a pain in the ass than it should be. Best of luck with
The Four Kings
, I gave up after the first time since you have to run so far back.

Havok

wastedyears said:
I plan on primarily using spears (like I did in Demon's Souls), so which stat or stats should I focus on?
Dexterity and Endurance, probably. Spears scale with Str/Dex, but I haven't had much use out of grabbing Str points.

Any advice for jack-of-all-trades to take on the
four kings
? I know I want to ace them sooner rather than later and will probably try ti grab some summons on my way, but still... I watched a video of a dude tanking through, which is all well and good, but my build has a lot less endurance (1/2) and a lot less vitality than he did (he was using the catarina armor with lightning spear and the ring of defense against physical attacks)... I can cast spells if they help, but don't know what I should focus on; my pyromancy is pretty deadly, but I don't know how the
four kings
deal with fire damage...

I mean, is that something even worth exploring? Or do the cast times vs damage yield kill it... what about Iron Flesh? Would that help?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Four Kings
DEFEATED! Is there anything else down there that I need? I'm thinking of heading down to pass through
Ceaseless Discharge
's area and find that next boss I need to fight.

GrizzNKev

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Any advice for jack-of-all-trades to take on the
four kings
? I know I want to ace them sooner rather than later and will probably try ti grab some summons on my way, but still... I watched a video of a dude tanking through, which is all well and good, but my build has a lot less endurance (1/2) and a lot less vitality than he did (he was using the catarina armor with lightning spear and the ring of defense against physical attacks)... I can cast spells if they help, but don't know what I should focus on; my pyromancy is pretty deadly, but I don't know how the
four kings
deal with fire damage...

I mean, is that something even worth exploring? Or do the cast times vs damage yield kill it... what about Iron Flesh? Would that help?

I would advise waiting until later. You don't need to face them until near the end of the game.

Speevy

Banned
Catacombs help

Where is the other necomancer in the Catacombs? I killed the one who has two archer assistants near the bottom, but things keep coming alive again. Also, am I supposed to run up where those spinning blades are? Because I hate those things. And is there a freaking bonfire somewhere around the bottom? Please tell me there is.

GrizzNKev said:
I would advise waiting until later. You don't need to face them until near the end of the game.

What about
Darkwraith Covenant
? Does that factor into when I take them down?

Also, how do you get across the top-most (I think) beam with the pendulums on it in Sen's? I tried sprinting, caught one, and fell to my death. :(

How do I get someone to join me to fight Capra? I'm human, and I'm waiting outside the boss fog, but there's no white signs. I put mine down, but that brought me into someone else's game. What do I do? I'm only SL 20 or so!

ZackieChan said:
How do I get someone to join me to fight Capra? I'm human, and I'm waiting outside the boss fog, but there's no white signs. I put mine down, but that brought me into someone else's game. What do I do? I'm only SL 20 or so!

If you were PS3 and your level were higher, I'd come help... but I'm level 42 and down in blighttown...

To answer the question, so long as you're human, you just look around for white glowing runes like the orange help messages and when you walk over, you'll get "press x to summon" or whatever.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, I'm near the beginning of the game. I'm playing a Knight, and I'm under the bridge at the right spot to get the Drake Sword. A few questions:

1) Will regular short bow and regular arrows be okay?

2) I apparently don't have the necessary stats to wield a bow properly. Will this greatly decrease my ability to properly hit the tail and get the sword?

3) If it does, what stat increases your ability to use a bow? I assume it's DEX.

Speevy

Banned
thetrin said:
So, I'm near the beginning of the game. I'm playing a Knight, and I'm under the bridge at the right spot to get the Drake Sword. A few questions:

1) Will regular short bow and regular arrows be okay?

2) I apparently don't have the necessary stats to wield a bow properly. Will this greatly decrease my ability to properly hit the tail and get the sword?

3) If it does, what stat increases your ability to use a bow? I assume it's DEX.

It is dexterity. You don't have to go overboard. Just level it up a few times and decide later how much more you want. Arrows are pretty useful in a tight spot, but this game has too few opportunities to snipe early on. Also, standard arrows are enough to cut the dragon's tail off. Takes about 20. Drake Sword will be a huge boost to your ability to handle the game's enemies, but it in itself won't get you that far.

Top Bottom