• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Interfectum

About summoning someone within 10% of your level... is there a good guide that tells you want level you should be at what boss. Isn't there a chance that you could grind out levels so much that you never run into someone your level at a particular boss (thus screwing yourself over)?

Indrew

Neo Member
fludevil said:
I have a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer.

I restarted as a cleric. How do I use the Heal spell?

I sat at the bonfire and Attuned Magic. It's now sitting in the "north" position on my D-pad menu (shield in the right, mace on the left). But when I push up nothing happens. When I push any and every button, nothing happens.

I just can't make the sucker go!!!

edit: and... new page, never getting answered ;)

You need to be holding a catalyst in order to cast miracles.

fludevil said:
I have a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer.

I restarted as a cleric. How do I use the Heal spell?

I sat at the bonfire and Attuned Magic. It's now sitting in the "north" position on my D-pad menu (shield in the right, mace on the left). But when I push up nothing happens. When I push any and every button, nothing happens.

I just can't make the sucker go!!!

edit: and... new page, never getting answered ;)

I just figured out how to use magic myself, but I'm guessing for miracles you have to equip whatever item allows you to cast miracles, then hit the corresponding bumper button (RB or LB) depending on which hand it's in.

For me, I have the sorcerer's wand in my left hand so I hit LB to cast whatever spell is equipped.

devenger

Indrew said:

... What's a catalyst? I'm guessing you mean I need to hold something besides my weapon.

(Having "this is my rifle, this is my gun" flashbacks...)

edit: ahh, okie that narrows it down. Thanks, I was going to ask about straight up magic too.

scosher

54-46! said:
I mean, how do I know which weapons benefit from either DEX or STR?

As far as scaling goes, I have no idea what you just said heh.

Toggle Item Display. Bottom-left side of screen, you'll see the icons for Str/Dex/Int/Fai in that order, and either a "-" or a letter next to each. Scaling, from worst to best, is ranked E -> D -> C -> B -> A -> S. So depending on how your weapon scales, you should be pumping up that stat. Note, there are weapon ascension paths that change a weapon's scaling. The Magic upgrade for example will change a sword to scale with Int, and drop their Str/Dex scaling to E rank. Divine upgrade changes scaling to Faith.

johntown

Banned
fludevil said:
... What's a catalyst? I'm guessing you mean I need to hold something besides my weapon.

(Having "this is my rifle, this is my gun" flashbacks...)

edit: ahh, okie that narrows it down. Thanks, I was going to ask about straight up magic too.
I think he means a Talisman and it an object you need to have to cast miracles.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, I need a plan.

I'm traversing the Catacombs and my main goal right now is to kill the Necromancer. I previously chopped the first one to death, and poison arrowed the second one until he died. Easy stuff. But this area is so constricting, and these regenerating skeletons don't give me a second to aim my bow so I can poison the third one. Add the archers and I'm toast.

I have no magic. I'm a level 28 knight with all my major stats (as in everything besides intelligence, attunement, faith, and resistance leveled up in the area from 16-20).

I'm wearing a full set of elite knight armor (some of the pieces have been upgraded) with a knight shield +2 and Drake Sword.

This level would be so much easier if I could just kill this guy.

vehn

Speevy said:
Okay, I need a plan.

I'm traversing the Catacombs and my main goal right now is to kill the Necromancer. I previously chopped the first one to death, and poison arrowed the second one until he died. Easy stuff. But this area is so constricting, and these regenerating skeletons don't give me a second to aim my bow so I can poison the third one. Add the archers and I'm toast.

I have no magic. I'm a level 28 knight with all my major stats (as in everything besides intelligence, attunement, faith, and resistance leveled up in the area from 16-20).

I'm wearing a full set of elite knight armor (some of the pieces have been upgraded) with a knight shield +2 and Drake Sword.

This level would be so much easier if I could just kill this guy.

get a divine wep

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
GAF, I went to
the depths post-Capra Demon battle. Fought against 2 butchers and those weird rodents. Saved that dude from his barrel prison and I somehow fell all the way down in some shaft then I tried to find a way up but again I fell from another shaft after killing that giant rat and I desperately want to go up to where I fought the Capra Demon. I scouted the sewer area, defeated those bug-eyed frogs, slimes and regular rats. So now I venture a bit more where I find a knight selling items and a door I havent opened yet. So this is where you guys come in...the thing I want from the sewers is a bonfire or at least advice on how to get up to where I fought the capra demon. I have 6000+ souls on me and I dont want to be killed. I have 2 flasks left for me to use as well as few humanity...so I need to be guided the fuck out of the sewers to level up. Also, where does thet door where the knight merchant lead to?

Reknoc

Verano said:
GAF, I went to
the depths post-Capra Demon battle. Fought against 2 butchers and those weird rodents. Saved that dude from his barrel prison and I somehow fell all the way down in some shaft then I tried to find a way up but again I fell from another shaft after killing that giant rat and I desperately want to go up to where I fought the Capra Demon. I scouted the sewer area, defeated those bug-eyed frogs, slimes and regular rats. So now I venture a bit more where I find a knight selling items and a door I havent opened yet. So this is where you guys come in...the thing I want from the sewers is a bonfire or at least advice on how to get up to where I fought the capra demon. I have 6000+ souls on me and I dont want to be killed. I have 2 flasks left for me to use as well as few humanity...so I need to be guided the fuck out of the sewers to level up. Also, where does thet door where the knight merchant lead to?

The way out is on the opposite end of the merchant to your left. If you picked up a key in the area with the frogs, or have the master key, you'll find a bonfire behind a door near where the dredgling with the flaming stick is (in the corridor full of slimes on the ceiling).

Furio53 said:
Ok can someone explain to me what the human and hollow stuff actually mean?

Hollow: Undead, default mode, limited multiplayer (can only help)

Human: Use humanity to become human, lose it when you die, full multiplayer (can give/receive help, can also invade/get invaded), NPC's are generally more receptive towards you

Septimius

Furio53 said:
Ok can someone explain to me what the human and hollow stuff actually mean?

Hollow is when you're undead.

You can become human by offering a humanity to revert hollowing at a bonfire. The difference is that you can summon people when you're human, but you can also be invaded. You can lay down your summon sign when you're both hollow and human.

If you use a "Humanity" you will 'bind' one humanity (the counter next to your health) to your character. The more you have, the higher curse resist and item discovery you'll have (more items drop from mobs)

Reknoc

Being human also allows you to kindle bonfires at the cost of humanity which give you more estus flasks when you rest at it.

Dreweyes

Which NPC's have you guys killed? I killed the guy at the Fireshrine immediately after he told me about the bells. He never saw that cliff coming... >:)

Darkone

Need help where i can find better weapon then Gargoyle's Halberd which i upgraded to +5.
i am currently on my way yo Blighttown.

QP3

Quick question

A few times i have randomly front-kicked an undead enemy. Is there specific way to do this, or is it just random? Thanks!

Furio53

Thank you guys! So being human is a risk/reward thing? Like I can get better items but I can be invaded and killed by other guys? Hm...

QP3 said:
Quick question

A few times i have randomly front-kicked an undead enemy. Is there specific way to do this, or is it just random? Thanks!

The game tells you this, push forward and R1 at (almost) the same time.

You also can do a forward jump attack pushing R2 instead of R1.

UrbanRats said:
Is it true that you get better loot when human?

Your item discover increase by 20 points, so yes, it could make you get better or more items.

Furio53 said:
Thank you guys! So being human is a risk/reward thing? Like I can get better items but I can be invaded and killed by other guys? Hm...

- Being human allow yo to kindle bonfire (giving 1 humanity) and the next time you rest in kindled bonfires, it will give you 10 flasks instead of 5.
- Your chances to get more items increase by 20 points.
- You can get invaded but you can summon help for bosses.

EDIT: also it seems like you need to be human to interact with some NPC, I dont know if this is really true because when I go human, I dont last a lot.

EasyMode

QP3 said:
Quick question

Tap towards on the left stick and R1 at the same time. It depends on the weapon too, not all of them let you do the kick.

Edit: Beaten by seconds... This is a good move against those turtley spear soldiers.

Mother of God, I need help before the red fire breathing dragon. Too many times I try to run up the bridge and I get roasted to a fucking crisp. Someone helppppppppp meeeeee =( SL 14

QP3

sotodefonk said:
The game tells you this, push forward and R1 at (almost) the same time.

You also can do a forward jump attack pushing R2 instead of R1.
Thank you very much. And now that you mention it I do remember the game telling me this. I guess I was too giddy with excitement to absorb it all.

sotodefonk said:
Your item discover increase by 20 points, so yes, it could make you get better or more items.

Untrue... being human has zero effect on item discovery. However, holding humanity (whether hollowed or human) DOES improve your item discovery. This can actually be verified on your status page.

Also note that holding more humanity has severe diminishing returns:
1 = 20% increase
2 = 5% increase (total of 25%)
3 = 4%
>3 = 3%

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Can anyone tell me where the skeleton area near the start leads to? I am near the Undead Parish now but wanna go back and check that path.

kodt

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Can anyone tell me where the skeleton area near the start leads to? I am near the Undead Parish now but wanna go back and check that path.

Catacombs, probably too high for you until you have rang both bells at least.

QP3 said:
Thank you very much. And now that you mention it I do remember the game telling me this. I guess I was too giddy with excitement to absorb it all.

Dont worry, I hardly use it, because you need to be moving for it to work, when I try to do it still always end up attacking.

QP3 said:
Mother of God, I need help before the red fire breathing dragon. Too many times I try to run up the bridge and I get roasted to a fucking crisp. Someone helppppppppp meeeeee =( SL 14

You cant get help for that, you still need to run through it, but keep in mind you dont need to run the entire bridge, stick to the right and there is some stairs that go down, where the undead enemies are.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Reknoc said:
The way out is on the opposite end of the merchant to your left. If you picked up a key in the area with the frogs, or have the master key, you'll find a bonfire behind a door near where the dredgling with the flaming stick is (in the corridor full of slimes on the ceiling).

yeah found that out by myself just now. Thanx anyway.
Also, what about that huge chamber nearby the knight merchant?? Boss battle? Also there's a white corridor before reaching the merchant along the bonfire path in the sewers. New area or boss battle? Also where do I go from here in the sewers?

Switters

24FrameDaVinci said:

Best thing you can do is grind up some vitality so he doesn't one shot you.
Running across the bridge stay right and try to avoid the arrows. Getting hit will stun you and reduce your momentum. As soon as you see the stairs leading down DO A BARREL ROLL before the dragon strikes again. Pay attention to his audio cues, he'll roar before he charges.

Keep a look out once there for a corridor leading down to a shortcut to the previous bonfire.

walbertsmith said:
Untrue... being human has zero effect on item discovery. However, holding humanity (whether hollowed or human) DOES improve your item discovery. This can actually be verified on your status page.

Also note that holding more humanity has severe diminishing returns:
1 = 20% increase
2 = 5% increase (total of 25%)
3 = 4%
>3 = 3%

Umm I saw at my status when being hollow my item dicover was 300 (using the ring) and after going human it increased to 320, although, I dont remember if I had any humanity. maybe those percentages are for the base 100 points? In that case it makes sense if I had 1 humanity at that time.

UrbanRats said:
Is it true that you get better loot when human?

You get better loot by having more humanity (the number in the upper left hand corner), your status as "human" or "hallowed" doesn't change drop rates.

sleepykyo

Facism said:
Wiki says i get the miracles through piscaca. Who ro what is a piscaca? The livechat is pretty fucking shit for getting questions answered. The guys who write it are proper up their own arses it's unbelievable.

That's another thing that feels like a step back from Demon's Souls. They introduce themselves once and then they never show the name again. Basically makes all the npcs more confusing and less memorable.

KAOz

Short bus special
Where can I find a really good anti-magic shield?

I don't know where to look. Currently at a certain boss in New Lando, and wielding a Eagle Shield +5 (or higher). And yeah, no, not working. Need something really good there.

Sullichin

KAOz said:
Where can I find a really good anti-magic shield?

I don't know where to look. Currently at a certain boss in New Lando, and wielding a Eagle Shield +5 (or higher). And yeah, no, not working. Need something really good there.

I know when I went back to Undead Asylum, killing an aggro NPC got me a shield that had magic resistance. Crest Shield I think. No idea if it's good though, I don't use it and I suck at this game.

Dever

Banned
Is there a bonfire or a shortcut in Sen's fortress? I found the cage that goes down, but will it still be down if I die? Do I have to leave it down there and make way up again?

edit: nvm

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
guys i really need help with what weapons i should upgrade.

i wanna use a sword, at this moment in time ive just done the second bell, and im still using the drake sword.

i have a long sword and astora sword a sunlight long sword, and a few others, are any worth upgrading if so into what ?

So, I just killed Havel (btw good lord is that ring useful) and opened the door to darkroot. I'm a SL20 thief, is darkroot doable or should I go somewhere else before?

2AdEPT

Indrew said:
It' called a Talisman for miracles and one can be purchsed from the Fatih guy in the Firelink for 500 souls. I got a second one later off the the ground buyt I can't remember where....wherever there is a dead faith guy or sorcerer or something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
i nerini del buio said:
So, I just killed Havel (btw good lord is that ring useful) and opened the door to darkroot. I'm a SL20 thief, is darkroot doable or should I go somewhere else before?

Hmmm...you can TRY it, I suppose, but personally I'd wait a bit longer. There's some pretty tough enemies if you're going in from that entrance.

Probably asked already, but how exactly do you fix your estus flasks to restore more health? I did come across the required item (can't remember the name right now) but using it just gave me 5 humanity (promptly lost through dying) but didn't affect the health gained from flasks. Is it an option given at bonfires, not that I noticed any options (I sat at a few before I ended up using this item)?

Switters

ashley678 said:
guys i really need help with what weapons i should upgrade.

i wanna use a sword, at this moment in time ive just done the second bell, and im still using the drake sword.

i have a long sword and astora sword a sunlight long sword, and a few others, are any worth upgrading if so into what ?

If you've just rung the second bell and haven't been through the catacombs I would recommend grabbing the divine ember from the moth boss and farming green shards from the slimes in the sewers, then upgrading a weapon down the divine path. It permakills the skellys and makes that section of the game much more bearable.

Seraphis Cain said:
Hmmm...you can TRY it, I suppose, but personally I'd wait a bit longer. There's some pretty tough enemies if you're going in from that entrance.
The other entrance is near the blacksmith right? There's the titanite guy there though
I guess I should just try XD

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
i nerini del buio said:
The other entrance is near the blacksmith right? There's the titanite guy there though
I guess I should just try XD

I beat the Titanite guy right around your level. He's not hard.

satriales

24FrameDaVinci said:
Take off all your armour so you run quicker. I first run to the patch of oil and then back just to trigger the dragon so that he kills all of the other enemies on the bridge. Then leg it as fast as you can and keep to the right and down the stairs.

Top Bottom