• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

chris121580

vcassano1 said:
Thanks. But I am human but I cannot see any white writing on the ground (except for my own White Sign Soapstone when I put that down). Is there a particular place where it appears prior to the Capra Demon?
Don't put your soapstone down or someone will summon you. You just have to be patient and wait for someone to put theirs down. Hanging around the bridge right outside that boss door is where people put it most of the time

I used the black soapstone to bail on a summon after he ran around blighttown bottom in circles and stopped following my lead (he seemed lost and I was out of healing and poisoned). I could not get summoned to a game in the timeframe immediately after -- just bad luck or does the comment about "affecting relations" on the black soapstone have some penalty for use?

Baha said:
If they fall off the ledge, can I quit and re-load my save in hopes that they'll have dropped something?

Yes, if any enemy or NPC drops an item and it's suspended in the air or something, it will reappear on stable ground after you quit to the title screen and load back in.

MedIC86

Okay so i killed the
gargoyles
and so far i got the
dragonsword

are there any noteworthy items i missed so far in the game (shields, etc?)

Trevelyon

Do PvP encounters scale down within' a few levels give or take, when repelling invaders for the
forest covenant
missions, or is it whomever is in the forest at that time and you get summoned to, irrespective of lvl progression, you take on.

Just been getting seriously waxed every time I get summoned, whereas I've been able to mix it up with some regular black phantoms.

Trevelyon said:
Do PvP encounters scale down within' a few levels give or take, when repelling invaders for the
forest covenant
missions, or is it whomever is in the forest at that time and you get summoned to, irrespective of lvl progression, you take on.

Just been getting seriously waxed every time I get summoned, whereas I've been able to mix it up with some regular black phantoms.

This is how I feel too, whenever they invade, I rock them and when I invade, I get worked.

vcassano1 said:
Thanks. But I am human but I cannot see any white writing on the ground (except for my own White Sign Soapstone when I put that down). Is there a particular place where it appears prior to the Capra Demon?

That's a tricky spot. I've helped on four bosses and here's where I lay my sign each time, some work better than others:

(Gargoyles) : somewhere in the vicinity of the 2 ladders you climb right before them, usually after the first on the ledge.
(Capra) : on the bridge right before
(Boss 3) : Either in the room with the bonfire or the staircase leading up
(Boss 4) : right next to the bonfire

It varies. Some will put it by the bonfire, some will put it by the boss door... others may put it somewhere entirely random (if they're trying to do specific coop with someone else, perhaps?).

chris121580

corrosivefrost said:
That's a tricky spot. I've helped on four bosses and here's where I lay my sign each time, some work better than others:

(Gargoyles) : somewhere in the vicinity of the 2 ladders you climb right before them, usually after the first on the ledge.
(Capra) : on the bridge right before
(Boss 3) : Either in the room with the bonfire or the staircase leading up
(Boss 4) : right next to the bonfire

It varies. Some will put it by the bonfire, some will put it by the boss door... others may put it somewhere entirely random (if they're trying to do specific coop with someone else, perhaps?).
Yeah, definitely the bridge for the Capra Demon though since there really isn't a bonfire nearby

scosher

Interfectum said:
should i upgrade my estoc with +lightning?

Absolutely. It kicks ass. Did the same for my toon, and I even use it in the left hand instead of a shield when I'm dealing with trash mobs (the quick poke is a great way to lead into your R1 or R2 attacks, with whatever weapon you use). Obviously for more difficult fights or bosses, you need your shield, but I find DW'ing the Estoc + whatever in right hand (I use Falchion) is a fun combo.

Shai-Tan

Banned
kamorra said:
I feel like I'm running against a wall. :( I have a lvl25 pyromancer, my stats are
Vit 16
Att 14
End 17
STR 18
Dex 13
Res 12
Int 10
F 8

I finished the
Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles
I also beat that strange boss in the room below the
smith
right before the
forest.
I still have only the first spell because I can't find someone who sells/teachs me more and I'm using the Drake Sword. Where should I go next? How should I put points in my stats if I want a pyromancer who's still able to fight with better weapons? And what are some must have weapons/armor/spells I need?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Capra Demon in lower section of undead burg (you possibly missed finding it) then it gives you a key to go to the depths; you will also find a pyromancy trainer there in the depths.. dont accidentally kill him :) use roll to free. also dont forget to open the shortcut in that area where capra demon is back to firelink shrine
regarding stats I will let someone else answer that

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RS4- said:
If you don't have the min dex (12) for the short bow to get the drake, don't bother. It'll take ages. You're better off farming to get 12 dex and take the 20-30 arrows vs the 50, maybe even 100 if you're not meeting the requirements.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the input. I'll just grind the souls for the DEX so I don't want to kill myself later.

orion434

If I upgrade to a Quelaag's Fury does it matter what weapon I use to make it? Is using a Scimitar any different than using a Falchion? Will it do the same damage and have the same attack animation?

chunk3rvd

How do the upgrade paths for sheilds and armour differ to weapons? Am I missing out on potential opportunities by taking my sheilds/armour past +5?

chunk3rvd said:
How do the upgrade paths for sheilds and armour differ to weapons? Am I missing out on potential opportunities by taking my sheilds/armour past +5?

I don't think so - taking them past +5 is sort of diminishing unless something dramatically changes at the end of a particular upgrade path.

Shields are considered as weapons for upgrades and as such their damage increases and stability (which I guess is how much Stamina is lost during a hit, I dunno) increases slightly. I didn't find it worth it to upgrade the shields until the endgame where I had an abundance of materials.

As for armor - you'll find sets of armor that cannot be upgraded due to their very high stats and properties - I think that these are the best to use. Furthermore, your materials can be used on weapons rather than armor, so nah, don't upgrade armor unless you've got spare T. Shards and then even so, try to min/max.

johntown

Banned
Trevelyon said:
forest covenant

There are no level restrictions in the Forest Covenant. I kept trying to fight a guy who was SL 114 and I was only SL43.

chunk3rvd

we.are.the.armada said:
I don't think so - taking them past +5 is sort of diminishing unless something dramatically changes at the end of a particular upgrade path.

Shields are considered as weapons for upgrades and as such their damage increases and stability (which I guess is how much Stamina is lost during a hit, I dunno) increases slightly. I didn't find it worth it to upgrade the shields until the endgame where I had an abundance of materials.

As for armor - you'll find sets of armor that cannot be upgraded due to their very high stats and properties - I think that these are the best to use. Furthermore, your materials can be used on weapons rather than armor, so nah, don't upgrade armor unless you've got spare T. Shards and then even so, try to min/max.

Thanks for the advice. I've been farming the slime corridoor in the depths for a bit so I have a bunch of Large T. Shards that are burning a hole in my pocket but I'll save them for now if it's not worth it

What about my short bow? Worth taking past +5? I have fairly high dex (24 on a SL31 character) so I already do some decent damage with it

Also, where is the earliest I can get a long bow?

chunk3rvd said:
Thanks for the advice. I've been farming the slime corridoor in the depths for a bit so I have a bunch of Large T. Shards that are burning a hole in my pocket but I'll save them for now if it's not worth it

What about my short bow? Worth taking past +5? I have fairly high dex (24 on a SL31 character) so I already do some decent damage with it

I can't remember where I got my long bow but both aren't worth taking above +5 because there are better options in terms of damage:

Compound Bow: Get this bow by entering into Londo Ruins, past the large ghost building where Ingward is on the roof, and above the gateway to Valley of Drakes. The bow is on a body up there.

Pharos Bow: This bow is so amazing if you have a high DEX build since it's got S-Rank DEX modification. It drops off Pharos, a specter in the Forest past the 20,000 soul gate. Pharos is at the far end, near the NPC cat that gets you to join Forest Guard. He's sort of near the specter thief, maybe 20 yards behind that guy.

This game...

Highs and lows...

Smiles and cries...

You can go from being utterly hopeless at the start of Blightown to putting that mother-fucker Quelaag on farm.

To having 12 humanity and 30,000 souls, grow complacent and get lose it all with the giant mushroom men in Darkroot Basin while just poking around.

In the end...I think I`m okay with it.

Look at me...I`m growing as a person!

Baha

I need tips/advice regarding a Anor Londo fight:
So Lautrec...I figure I have to kill his caster first but if I aggro one, they all aggro. I have a +10 Halberd, a +10 pyromancy flame & a +5 long bow. I can deal the dmg I need to deal but they quickly overwhelm me. Can you even co-op this fight?

Baha

Ghost_Protocol said:
Does anyone know how to get past the egg-covered hollow vendor in Queelag's Domain without killing him?

You have to say yes to him the 1st time. Otherwise you're kinda sol and have to kill him to get by.

Darkone

I am at the ninja merchant at Blighttown, what weapon is reccommended to buy from him?
i have 24 STR at the moment but it will go higher.

I love this game but Im so OCD about doing everything right, finding every item, and spending souls. Im honestly trying to slow the story down cause I'm afraid I'll miss something lol.

Let me sum up where Im at in the game and see if you guys have some suggestions on what I should do next.
Lvl 27 Pyromancer
Vit 13 - Attunement 14 - End 17 - Strength 20 - Dex 15 - Res. 13 - Int. 10 - Faith 8
Weapon-Drake/Pyro Glove+5
Sheild- Crest or Spider
Rings- Evil Eye/Blue Tearstone
(Only rings Ive found, wasted my ring that breaks when you die to save my souls when I was carrying back my 20k+ after the Rat fight)
Armor- Is a Mix of Eastern, Black Leather, and Hard Leather (I have the Elite Knight set too but not wearing any of it)

Beat Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping, and Butterfly bosses. Oh course all the minis along the way like Knights, Boar, and such are dead along with the guy blocking me from going to Dark Root.

Got a ton of souls killing the giant rat and bought the the item to unlock the "cliff glitch farming spot".
Havent used the spot to farm souls to level up yet just been using the spot to farm souls to buy stuff. Ive used it to purchase a few standard weapons I havent found yet, purchased all the Pyro spells, got the bonfire repair/upgrade kits, and a few little odds and ends.
I even purchased the Sorcery spells Magic Sword/Sheild but then found out...you cant magic enhance the Drake, so for now a waste for me (Should I buy the socery rings?!?)

I feel as if I should finally break down and start upgrading these weapons but my OCD'ness is making me question what I should make as I dont wanna waste craft items. I have already turned in 2 embers to the blacksmith also. As for "special" weps Ive collected I do have the Blck Knight GS, Gargoyle Axe, and Dragon King Axe.

Totalriot

chunk3rvd said:

I think there is a longbow somewhere in the in Darkwood Grove near the bonfire next to the Hyrda. Instead of going left to the Hydra take the path to the right. There is a Black Knight nearby.

As for upgrading, personally I only use the bow to shoot down enemies from a safe spot so I don't really care about the damage I do. I also only use standard arrows most of the time and make sure to have 500-1000 with me.

chunk3rvd

we.are.the.armada said:
Pharos Bow: This bow is so amazing if you have a high DEX build since it's got S-Rank DEX modification. It drops off Pharos, a specter in the Forest past the 20,000 soul gate. Pharos is at the far end, near the NPC cat that gets you to join Forest Guard. He's sort of near the specter thief, maybe 20 yards behind that guy.

Are there any negatives to killing
Pharis
? Are they an NPC you can interact with at some point or just a one-off enemy with a good drop?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
posted this in the other thread, but I suppose it's better placed here:

are some more forgiving than others? I joined the way of white when I first started, then switched to the forest one when I was offered it. The monk is currently only repeating a questline dialog about his lady, will he be pissy with me once that is through? ;-/

I really don't want to pay for absolution. shit's so expensive I would have to break my forest covenant oath and farm there and that feels a bit risky.

The
Capra
demon is destroying me. I try and run
up the stairs to separate from the dogs and kill them first but no luck.
In fact, most of the time they corner me immediately and crush the life out of me. I am a warrior with a Halberd. Any suggestions?

Deadstar

What is a good way to get humanity quickly? Tried placing my summon marker near boss entrances but was only summoned by one person which only gave me 1 humanity. I'm trying to farm green titanite in the depths but I haven't gotten one yet. There's a video of a guy doing it on youtube but he has 8 humanity.

Brobzoid

Deadstar said:
What is a good way to get humanity quickly? Tried placing my summon marker near boss entrances but was only summoned by one person which only gave me 1 humanity. I'm trying to farm green titanite in the depths but I haven't gotten one yet. There's a video of a guy doing it on youtube but he has 8 humanity.
the depths are usually good for that imo. rats sometimes drop it.

TheExecutive said:
The
Capra
demon is destroying me. I try and run
up the stairs to separate from the dogs and kill them first but no luck.
In fact, most of the time they corner me immediately and crush the life out of me. I am a warrior with a Halberd. Any suggestions?

are you capable of killing the dogs in one hit?
I'd try walking through the fog and block the first hit of the big bloke and then swing at the dogs killing them if you have the stamina for it (blocking one capra hit, swinging at the dogs and the most likely blocking another capra hit). Otherwise; block the first hit and then try to go for the stairs by rolling to the left and booking. You might also try to run a circle a couple of times to insure that you get a good opening (run up the stairs onto the ledge and then drop down as all three of them are on you, etc)

Brobzoid said:
the depths are usually good for that imo. rats sometimes drop it.

are you capable of killing the dogs in one hit?
I'd try walking through the fog and block the first hit of the big bloke and then swing at the dogs killing them if you have the stamina for it (blocking one capra hit, swinging at the dogs and the most likely blocking another capra hit). Otherwise; block the first hit and then try to go for the stairs by rolling to the left and booking. You might also try to run a circle a couple of times to insure that you get a good opening (run up the stairs onto the ledge and then drop down as all three of them are on you, etc)

I can and do kill the dogs in one hit. I am afraid my stamina may not be able to handle the amount of abuse that will be given.

chunk3rvd

Thansk for all the help so far people. Got destroyed during my first invasion last night by some mage looking guy with a long weapon that did fire damage. Figure I should work on upgrading my equipment for now and not my levels as competition will only get tougher if I level up

One last question - I remember someone saying that the people who did the original Demon's Souls maps on geocities.jp were doing new ones for Dark Souls. Does anyone have a link to these if they are up yet?

Brobzoid

TheExecutive said:
I can and do kill the dogs in one hit. I am afraid my stamina may not be able to handle the amount of abuse that will be given.
then I'd say try blocking the first hit and bailing to the left and try for the stairs.

When I did it, I had a +3 winged spear and a crescent grass shield (which isn't all that smart cus it doesn't 100% reduce physical on block). blocked the first side slash from
Capra
and one dog, then rolled to the left, between the dog and
Capra
. booked for the stairs, and took out both dogs on the door ledge with a single stab* while blocking in case
Capra
got to me. Dex heavy thief, pretty good endurance + the crescent shield which boosts stamina regen, so it might not be applicable to you. ;-/

*pure luck I think. they don't always come at you the same way so sometimes I had to stab twice.

Well my first PvP experience was underwelming.

Guy invaded me while I'm mid fight in woods.
Here he comes running at me in a cloak and and he's invisible, has a spear that does lightning damage it looks like and is in a cloak.

I cant target him so my spells are flying wildly lol, I run up and try to slash him but go right through him causing no damage....

He parrys me and then stabs me for the insta kill...

Man, I feel so weak now..

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
24FrameDaVinci said:
Capra is fucking me up big time. I mean, wow, I cant even make it to the stairs.

That's what you get for invading his home. He didn't invade your home, so why do you think you can invade his?

Deadstar

Beepos said:
So I'm about 20 hours into the game and just realised there was a blacksmith in Firelink right at the start and the first one you meet isn't before the first bell tower wow hahahah.

Really? Where is he?

vcassano1 said:
We've got the same problem. What level ate you?

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the
out of the way brick wall with the tapping coming from inside it in the wheel skeleton section of the Catacombs?
I want to go in there and see if it's the
Nun
I'm supposed to rescue. I can't figure out a route into there, and I've already killed the boss and cleared out the rest of the area.

Oh. And what's with the
sleeping snake enemy in Sen's Fortress?

Stimpy

Can someone post the list of the ideal route through the game please, I've seen the official guide one but I seem to remember someone saying that you came to a dead end in one area if you followed that, thanks.

Deadstar

ZackieChan said:
We've got the same problem. What level ate you?

You should not be able to put down your white sign if you are human. Having humanity or beating a boss does NOT make you human. Take off your helmet, do you look like a monster? If so, you are hollow. To become human you need to offer humanity to a bonfire to "reverse hollowing."

Baha

Guess I'll post this here since it really helped me out. Anor Londo spoilers:
So if you do invade Lautrec, here's what you can do to make the entire thing a lot easier AND kill all three enemies. Once you spawn in his world, walk a few feet to where the checkered tiles on the ground begin. Pull out a bow and snipe the caster. It should do only 1 damage and aggro both him and the spear man. Lautrec should stay where he is. From here just take on the spearman and avoid the caster's spells. It's pretty easy considering that the spear man tele graphs his moves and the caster will miss if you constantly moving. The caster is easy afterwards because no one ever taught him how to block. Lautrec is a push over without his cronies, good luck

we.are.the.armada said:
I can't remember where I got my long bow but both aren't worth taking above +5 because there are better options in terms of damage:

Compound Bow: Get this bow by entering into Londo Ruins, past the large ghost building where Ingward is on the roof, and above the gateway to Valley of Drakes. The bow is on a body up there.

How do you hit someone who is wearing ring of fog, like the theif and the bowman?

Ourobolus said:
Is there a bonfire after the Taurus Demon? I just got to Undead Parish and stabbed the pig in the ass, but...there a fire?

Before you went across underneath the dragon and killed the rats, there was one.
The next one is a bit up from where you are -- you need to get into the church and exit out the right side to head toward the next one.

scosher

Ourobolus said:
Is there a bonfire after the Taurus Demon? I just got to Undead Parish and stabbed the pig in the ass, but...there a fire?

Yes, at the other end of the Hellkite bridge. Only way to access it is to run through it. Hide at the middle of the bridge, wait about 20-30 seconds, and the dragon will fly out to the middle of the bridge. As soon as he leaves his perch, jet toward the end (you can run under his legs), and reach the bonfire. You can also open a gate there for a shortcut.

Deadstar said:

If your already in the Depths you could always farm the 10 or so rats near the bonfire. 10 - 20 minutes of rat killing should net you a few humanities.

Top Bottom