• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:
It is dexterity. You don't have to go overboard. Just level it up a few times and decide later how much more you want. Arrows are pretty useful in a tight spot, but this game has too few opportunities to snipe early on. Also, standard arrows are enough to cut the dragon's tail off. Takes about 20. Drake Sword will be a huge boost to your ability to handle the game's enemies, but it in itself won't get you that far.
That's fine. So far I'm not finding the game SO difficult that the Drake Sword is integral to my survival. If nothing else, it's a leg up on the competition.

Right now, I'm able to aim and shoot the bow despite my stat deficiencies. Should I be okay for cutting of the dragon's tail? That may seem like a weird question.

If not, I'll have to grind a bit to level up as well as earn enough souls to buy more arrows.

Speevy

Banned
I never tried it like that, but I would assume so. Just buy a ton of arrows and just keep hitting it until it falls off.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:
I never tried it like that, but I would assume so. Just buy a ton of arrows and just keep hitting it until it falls off.
Cool, sounds good. I'm done for the day, but I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks, Speevy.

Cesar

Banned
So I'm using the black knight great sword, and have enough strenght and dexterity, but my guy still almost falls out of balance when using it. is this normal or do I need to upgrade my stats even further to use it correctly?

Gonna keep asking until someone answers..

how do you upgrade weapons past +5? Ive seen the upgrade path but once i upgrade a weapon to +5 it disappears from the upgrade list at the blacksmiths/or the bonfire.

Have an Estoc +5 and want to advance it (Have some blue titanite or whatever and some twinkling titanite) how do i get the option to make this magic + etc

Septimius

thetrin said:
2) I apparently don't have the necessary stats to wield a bow properly. Will this greatly decrease my ability to properly hit the tail and get the sword?

3) If it does, what stat increases your ability to use a bow? I assume it's DEX.

There is a stat requirement to wield most weapons. If you don't meet it, your damage will be greatly reduced. If you go to the equipment menu, then choose the weapon slot, and in the 'choose which weapon' menu press square, you will see a menu with all stats about the weapon you're looking at.

Phat Michael said:

how do you upgrade weapons past +5? Ive seen the upgrade path but once i upgrade a weapon to +5 it disappears from the upgrade list at the blacksmiths/or the bonfire.

Have an Estoc +5 and want to advance it (Have some blue titanite or whatever and some twinkling titanite) how do i get the option to make this magic + etc

At this point you need to go to the right black smith and do "Modify equipment". When you've moved it onto its right path (gotten it to either +6 normal or +1 magic) it will reappear in the normal menu. Rickert of Vinheim is the guy for making a +5 weapon into a +1 magic. He's in New Londo

corrosivefrost said:
Modify Equipment is for ascension -- so once you hit +5, you have to get out of reinforce and go to modify and choose the next branch of your path. Once you choose something there (Raw, Divine, Whatever), you go back to reinforce and you proceed further down your path for the chosen upgrades, repeating as necessary.

Ah thanks! finally! ah ok thanks man. so basically, is this done at the blacksmith? i think i tried this and he said i had nothing to modify with? which isnt true as i do have blue titanite and twinkling titanite or whatever...do i just have to have the stuff with me in order for him to do this?

Phat Michael said:

You are going to need Large Ember. and teh ember after that.

Cesar said:
So I'm using the black knight great sword, and have enough strenght and dexterity, but my guy still almost falls out of balance when using it. is this normal or do I need to upgrade my stats even further to use it correctly?
As long as you have 32 str and 18 dex you should be fine.

Naeblish

Grisby said:
So this merchant before the gaping dragon is selling 'glorious armor'. Is this a wise purchase? I mean, I'm 15 hrs or so in the game and still wearing my warrior hard leather armor.

Also, this soul farming spot in darkroot basin, is that after blighttown or do I still have a way's to go?
I bought it yesterday just after beating the close by boss
gaping dragon
. That and the helmet. The helmet looks nice but the armor is making me much slower, it's much heavier then the hard leather armor (was wearing that too). Now i have to get havel's ring first. I kinda regret not just spending the souls on lvling up, but oh well. You probably won't wear the armor in blighttown anyway since it has low poison resistance.

ARRGH!

So I have a +10 spear. How do I use the moonlight butterfly soul to turn it into the uber spell spear?

I've tried both blacksmiths and I'm not getting the option.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I took the easy route in killing
Ceaseless Discharge
. I'm headed down to the next fog door and found the next bonfire, but I'm wondering if I have to clear the whole area to use it or just that one nearby enemy. I would have just done it but I think three bosses is enough for one day.

d0c_zaius

2 questions:

is it really possible to melee the Hydra? I managed to take off one head with arrows but I have run out. This is in Ash Lake.

is there a way to get back to firelink from here or do I really need to go all the way back up through blighttown etc?

thanks for the help!

Totalriot

bigdaddygamebot said:
ARRGH!

So I have a +10 spear. How do I use the moonlight butterfly soul to turn it into the uber spell spear?

I've tried both blacksmiths and I'm not getting the option.

Only the blacksmith in Anor Londo can turn +10 Weapons into Special Weapons

d0c_zaius said:
2 questions:

1. Yes it it, but
after a few chooped off heads it gets easier just to shoot the boss

Have you already killed the Moonlight Butterfly or do you have the Master Key? If so, just unlock the tower on the far right side of the area. But be careful, a very tough knight waits behind the door. Kill him or run to the left upstairs. At the end you will find the locked door leading to Undead Burg.

If you cant open this door yet, there ist still another way: I suppose you got there from the Valley of Drakes and found the bonfire in the tunnel. When leaving the tunnel don't turn left to get to the Hydra. Turn right and follow the small path all the way up - or down for some treasure - and you'll end up in the part of Darkroot Basin with the Moonlight Butterfly. From there it is very easy to get back to Undead Parish. Just run past the demon if you haven't killed him.

corrosivefrost said:
If you were PS3 and your level were higher, I'd come help... but I'm level 42 and down in blighttown...

To answer the question, so long as you're human, you just look around for white glowing runes like the orange help messages and when you walk over, you'll get "press x to summon" or whatever.

Well, is my online just jacked if I'm not seeing ANYTHING? Or maybe I'm just playing late. Unfortunately, I'm going to Vegas for the weekend, so no DkS until Sunday night. :(

Septimius said:
There is a stat requirement to wield most weapons. If you don't meet it, your damage will be greatly reduced. If you go to the equipment menu, then choose the weapon slot, and in the 'choose which weapon' menu press square, you will see a menu with all stats about the weapon you're looking at.

At this point you need to go to the right black smith and do "Modify equipment". When you've moved it onto its right path (gotten it to either +6 normal or +1 magic) it will reappear in the normal menu. Rickert of Vinheim is the guy for making a +5 weapon into a +1 magic. He's in New Londo
Ur a star. Thanks mate.

Totalriot

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay, what kind of shard do I need for the Quelaag Fury sword and where do I find it?

You need the Soul of Quelaag (Boss in the Blighttown) and a +10 curved Sword. Then you need to get to the blacksmith in Anor Londo to craft it.

Insaniac

darkwing said:
anyone know where the second pyromancer is?

after you beat quelaag there is a hidden wall that leads to another firekeeper. If you join their covenant and upgrade your pyromancer glove to +10 (supposedly) you should see her on one of the pillar islands near the water wheel. Joining the covenant will get you the "Great chaos fireball" spell. Also if you talk to Laurentius while you have the great chaos fireball spell afterewards, he will LEAVE firelink FOREVER. So be wary of that.

darkwing

Insaniac said:
after you beat quelaag there is a hidden wall that leads to another firekeeper. If you join their covenant and upgrade your pyromancer glove to +10 (supposedly) you should see her on one of the pillar islands near the water wheel. Joining the covenant will get you the "Great chaos fireball" spell. Also if you talk to Laurentius while you have the great chaos fireball spell afterewards, he will LEAVE firelink FOREVER. So be wary of that.
so this is the only spell I can get after the first pyromancer? no greater combustion?

johntown

Banned
Can someone tell me where the Eagle Shield is? I know it is in Blightown but I have looked all over the place and I cannot find it.

Concerning Sif:

I felt so bad killing him. He went from big-ass monster to "aww...hurt puppy. :(" in no time flat. Is there a way to spare him? Please say no, I already killed him.

Totalriot

Insaniac said:

No need for killing the boss and joining the covenant. She is sitting there all the time but easily missable. There are lots of rumors about her about joining the covenant first or having a +10 Flame but I think the main problem is that lots of people have just trouble orienting in the damn swamp. For the record: I found her by accident with a +12 Flame and Quelaag still alive.

Edit:
darkwing said:
so this is the only spell I can get after the first pyromancer? no greater combustion?
No, she has some fine spells to offer, like Greater Combustion, Flame Storm, Fire Whip... really nice toys. She can also upgrade your Flame beyond +15

duckroll

Great Chaos Fireball + Phalanx + Bonfire = Infinite Souls

Edit: Damn, posted in the wrong thread, oh well, enjoy the wisdom anyway! Lol.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
d0c_zaius said:
2 questions:

is it really possible to melee the Hydra? I managed to take off one head with arrows but I have run out. This is in Ash Lake.

is there a way to get back to firelink from here or do I really need to go all the way back up through blighttown etc?

thanks for the help!

You'll need a shield that has 100% physical damage reduction. From there it's all a matter of standing far enough out into the water to get the hydra in melee range, and blocking the initial hits so you can run and get some 2-handed shots on each head. After the first 4/5 it's easier just to range down the body though as the last head tends to plant itself in deep water, which you'll die if you enter.

From what I have seen there is no shortcut from the ash lake back up to firelink shrine. Unfortunately you will have to traverse the tree of stupid tough mushrooms and tear-inducing curse frogs. Putting so many of them in there, and on each "landing" was absolutely stupid.

Have fun!

Totalriot

johntown said:
Can someone tell me where the Eagle Shield is? I know it is in Blightown but I have looked all over the place and I cannot find it.

This is hard to explain. When you start at the bonfire in the middle of the level just continue the route you would normally go to get to the swamp. Eventually you will reach the ladder going down leading to a cavern entry where one of the big trolls waits for you. Don't take this ladder but look out for another ladder on this platform. Take it an follow the path at the end you will find the shield guarded by one the undeads.

I may be wrong with the exact location of the ladder leading to it but it is definatly between the ladder going up from the bonfire and the ladder leading to the cave.

johntown

Banned
Totalriot said:
This is hard to explain. When you start at the bonfire in the middle of the level just continue the route you would normally go to get to the swamp. Eventually you will reach the ladder going down leading to a cavern entry where one of the big trolls waits for you. Don't take this ladder but look out for another ladder on this platform. Take it an follow the path at the end you will find the shield guarded by one the undeads.

I may be wrong with the exact location of the ladder leading to it but it is definatly between the ladder going up from the bonfire and the ladder leading to the cave.
I know exactly where that is.

Thanks!

Insaniac said:

is there no way to save him? i don't want to join chaos just to him killed for some reason.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I feel like I'm running against a wall. :( I have a lvl25 pyromancer, my stats are
Vit 16
Att 14
End 17
STR 18
Dex 13
Res 12
Int 10
F 8

I finished the
Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles
I also beat that strange boss in the room below the
smith
right before the
forest.
I still have only the first spell because I can't find someone who sells/teachs me more and I'm using the Drake Sword. Where should I go next? How should I put points in my stats if I want a pyromancer who's still able to fight with better weapons? And what are some must have weapons/armor/spells I need?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ManeKast

What exactly are the red colored phantoms? Just summoned a really powerful and generous one who gave me awesome gear. Just a generous player?

Billen

Banned
Is it possible to join your friends, similar to the way where you could use the stone and tell your friends what corner it was in when playing Demon's Souls?

Also, been trying to invade/summon on the 360 version and so has my friends. Swedish broadband of great quality. Still, it hardly works at all. :D

RS4-

thetrin said:
That's fine. So far I'm not finding the game SO difficult that the Drake Sword is integral to my survival. If nothing else, it's a leg up on the competition.

Right now, I'm able to aim and shoot the bow despite my stat deficiencies. Should I be okay for cutting of the dragon's tail? That may seem like a weird question.

If not, I'll have to grind a bit to level up as well as earn enough souls to buy more arrows.
If you don't have the min dex (12) for the short bow to get the drake, don't bother. It'll take ages. You're better off farming to get 12 dex and take the 20-30 arrows vs the 50, maybe even 100 if you're not meeting the requirements.

Mdk7

Guys how do i create boss weapons?
I have a Partizan +10, i have the Moonlight
Butterfly
soul, but i don't understand how the process works...
Help me please! :D

chris121580

Man, 20 hours in and I just now made it past the 3rd boss. It took me at least 50-100 tries. I must be the worst Dark Souls player ever :lol Suffice it to say, I was fist pumping all over my apartment for about 5 minutes. To me, that boss the equivalent to the 2nd level boss on the horse in Ninja Gaiden.

Patryn

GMUNYIFan said:
You'll need a shield that has 100% physical damage reduction. From there it's all a matter of standing far enough out into the water to get the hydra in melee range, and blocking the initial hits so you can run and get some 2-handed shots on each head. After the first 4/5 it's easier just to range down the body though as the last head tends to plant itself in deep water, which you'll die if you enter.

From what I have seen there is no shortcut from the ash lake back up to firelink shrine. Unfortunately you will have to traverse the tree of stupid tough mushrooms and tear-inducing curse frogs. Putting so many of them in there, and on each "landing" was absolutely stupid.

Have fun!

Regarding 1:
You don't even have to use a 2-handed weapon. I did it with my Estoc+5. In fact, once you kill the first head, it becomes ridiculously easy (and more annoying) because you'll have created a dead zone, where the heads will strike down around you, but won't hit you, so you'll have to end up running around to where the heads hit to actually kill them off. If a head is in a bad position (I had the last head clipping into the mountain) just run around him, and the heads will hit in different areas.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
How on earth do I summon help for the Capra Demon? I've been summoned into other people's games for it, but I can't for the life of me work out who how to get their help!

So... I thought I had read that you can use the same spell twice if you have two free slots? It doesn't really work... maybe I read wrong.

xero273

vcassano1 said:
How on earth do I summon help for the Capra Demon? I've been summoned into other people's games for it, but I can't for the life of me work out who how to get their help!

you have to be human. and for ppl to get summoned in your game they have to be within 10% of your level. If they meet all those criterias, they need to put the white soapstone sign around that area and you should see a white summon sign.

Risk Breaker said:
So... I thought I had read that you can use the same spell twice if you have two free slots? It doesn't really work... maybe I read wrong.

You can. for example, say you are pyromancer. your initial spell is fireball, it has 8 uses. later on you can buy that same spell again. if you equip both fireball spells you double the uses so fireball can be used 16 times. i hope this answer your question.

chris121580

vcassano1 said:
You have to be human by using humanity at the bonfire and then you will see white writing on the ground where you can summon people for help

Baha

Anybody here in the level 58-68 range who's cleared Anor Londo? I need some help getting past those 2 black knight archers. I'm out of poison arrows and I'm in a bit of a pinch.

xero273 said:
You can. for example, say you are pyromancer. your initial spell is fireball, it has 8 uses. later on you can buy that same spell again. if you equip both fireball spells you double the uses so fireball can be used 16 times. i hope this answer your question.

Ah, yes, that's it. Thanks :)

Totalriot

Mdk7 said:
Guys how do i create boss weapons?
I have a Partizan +10, i have the Moonlight
Butterfly
soul, but i don't understand how the process works...
Help me please! :D

Only the Blacksmith in
Anor Londo
can use boss souls to create special weapons.

Baha said:
Anybody here in the level 58-68 range who's cleared Anor Londo? I need some help getting past those 2 black knight archers. I'm out of poison arrows and I'm in a bit of a pinch.

That is probably the worst part of the stage – I lucked out and ran right up to the right side archer and shield blocked his attack, causing him to side step off of the ledge and fall to his death. I found it very difficult to snipe these guys since they are so fast, so try melee combat against him if you’ve got a good amount of stam for blocking. Also,
immediately after that guy is a balcony with a hallway and the first door on the left is a bonfire and Sunbro.

kamorra said:
I finished the
Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles
I also beat that strange boss in the room below the
smith
right before the
forest.
I still have only the first spell because I can't find someone who sells/teachs me more and I'm using the Drake Sword. Where should I go next? How should I put points in my stats if I want a pyromancer who's still able to fight with better weapons? And what are some must have weapons/armor/spells I need?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Go back to the bridge with the Drake. On the side you began on (after beating Taurus) there's a door you can now unlock that will take you to lower Undeadburg and then the Depths. There's also a guy trapped behind a door in lower Undeadburg who can teach you spells.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
spandexmonkey said:
Go back to the bridge with the Drake. On the side you began on (after beating Taurus) there's a door you can now unlock that will take you to lower Undeadburg and then the Depths. There's also a guy trapped behind a door who can teach you spells.

Ah, thank you!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
chris121580 said:
You have to be human by using humanity at the bonfire and then you will see white writing on the ground where you can summon people for help

Thanks. But I am human but I cannot see any white writing on the ground (except for my own White Sign Soapstone when I put that down). Is there a particular place where it appears prior to the Capra Demon?

Baha

we.are.the.armada said:
That is probably the worst part of the stage – I lucked out and ran right up to the right side archer and shield blocked his attack, causing him to side step off of the ledge and fall to his death. I found it very difficult to snipe these guys since they are so fast, so try melee combat against him if you’ve got a good amount of stam for blocking. Also,
immediately after that guy is a balcony with a hallway and the first door on the left is a bonfire and Sunbro.

If they fall off the ledge, can I quit and re-load my save in hopes that they'll have dropped something?

Top Bottom