• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Pkm said:
I love this game but Im so OCD about doing everything right, finding every item, and spending souls. Im honestly trying to slow the story down cause I'm afraid I'll miss something lol.

Let me sum up where Im at in the game and see if you guys have some suggestions on what I should do next.
Lvl 27 Pyromancer
Vit 13 - Attunement 14 - End 17 - Strength 20 - Dex 15 - Res. 13 - Int. 10 - Faith 8
Weapon-Drake/Pyro Glove+5
Sheild- Crest or Spider
Rings- Evil Eye/Blue Tearstone
(Only rings Ive found, wasted my ring that breaks when you die to save my souls when I was carrying back my 20k+ after the Rat fight)
Armor- Is a Mix of Eastern, Black Leather, and Hard Leather (I have the Elite Knight set too but not wearing any of it)

Beat Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping, and Butterfly bosses. Oh course all the minis along the way like Knights, Boar, and such are dead along with the guy blocking me from going to Dark Root.

Got a ton of souls killing the giant rat and bought the the item to unlock the "cliff glitch farming spot".
Havent used the spot to farm souls to level up yet just been using the spot to farm souls to buy stuff. Ive used it to purchase a few standard weapons I havent found yet, purchased all the Pyro spells, got the bonfire repair/upgrade kits, and a few little odds and ends.
I even purchased the Sorcery spells Magic Sword/Sheild but then found out...you cant magic enhance the Drake, so for now a waste for me (Should I buy the socery rings?!?)

I feel as if I should finally break down and start upgrading these weapons but my OCD'ness is making me question what I should make as I dont wanna waste craft items. I have already turned in 2 embers to the blacksmith also. As for "special" weps Ive collected I do have the Blck Knight GS, Gargoyle Axe, and Dragon King Axe.

Wow, you're almost on the exact same path I'm on, except I started as a Wanderer and morphed into a Pyro. The next step you'll need to take is replacing the Drake as your primary sword, it's just not sufficient for the next stages. I'd recommend upgrading a large 2H weapon which knocks enemies down, and a weapon to wield when you need to keep your shield up, you'll probably find a really nice spear soon so don't upgrade one of those. Bring one down the Divine path, and one down the normal +10 path. You'll probably be heading to Blighttown now, which is a great area to farm green/ large shards.

Pkm said:
I love this game but Im so OCD about doing everything right, finding every item, and spending souls. Im honestly trying to slow the story down cause I'm afraid I'll miss something lol.

Let me sum up where Im at in the game and see if you guys have some suggestions on what I should do next.
Lvl 27 Pyromancer
Vit 13 - Attunement 14 - End 17 - Strength 20 - Dex 15 - Res. 13 - Int. 10 - Faith 8
Weapon-Drake/Pyro Glove+5
Sheild- Crest or Spider
Rings- Evil Eye/Blue Tearstone
(Only rings Ive found, wasted my ring that breaks when you die to save my souls when I was carrying back my 20k+ after the Rat fight)
Armor- Is a Mix of Eastern, Black Leather, and Hard Leather (I have the Elite Knight set too but not wearing any of it)

Beat Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping, and Butterfly bosses. Oh course all the minis along the way like Knights, Boar, and such are dead along with the guy blocking me from going to Dark Root.

Got a ton of souls killing the giant rat and bought the the item to unlock the "cliff glitch farming spot".
Havent used the spot to farm souls to level up yet just been using the spot to farm souls to buy stuff. Ive used it to purchase a few standard weapons I havent found yet, purchased all the Pyro spells, got the bonfire repair/upgrade kits, and a few little odds and ends.
I even purchased the Sorcery spells Magic Sword/Sheild but then found out...you cant magic enhance the Drake, so for now a waste for me (Should I buy the socery rings?!?)

I feel as if I should finally break down and start upgrading these weapons but my OCD'ness is making me question what I should make as I dont wanna waste craft items. I have already turned in 2 embers to the blacksmith also. As for "special" weps Ive collected I do have the Blck Knight GS, Gargoyle Axe, and Dragon King Axe.

Pretty similar to you (A bit higher level, same place).

A couple notes: That ring the sorcerer sells affects you pyromancies. Go get it, 30% damage boost is very nice.

If you haven't yet [spoilers] return to the asylum to get some more gear, there's a nice shield, and a ring that's usefull for the Hydra fight and blightown [/spoilers]

Finalow

i killed (blighttown spoiler)
Eingyi, near the big white spider.
so, bye bye to ''all pyromancer magics''? =|

chris121580

24FrameDaVinci said:
Capra is fucking me up big time. I mean, wow, I cant even make it to the stairs.
For someone who spent hours against this guy and finally beat him last night, let me give you the steps on how I did it:
As soon as I walked through the door, I targeted the demon. He will come at you with both weapons at the same time(not blockable) so when he does, roll to the right. Immediately put up your shield and hold it down and back your way towards the stairs. Once you've done that, take out each dog. If you can, go to the left of the stairs, you can drop down on the demon and stab him. It works pretty well but keep in mind that he can climb up there too so you're not fully safe. I'm a pyromancer so I stayed far away from him and used up all my fireballs. Once I was out of those, I used firebombs. I found that to be the easiest way to do it. 2 most important things: roll out of the way when he comes down with both weapons and keep your shield up to block anything else he tries to do. Hope this helps

Finalow

chris121580 said:
For someone who spent hours against this guy and finally beat him last night, let me give you the steps on how I did it:
As soon as I walked through the door, I targeted the demon. He will come at you with both weapons at the same time(not blockable) so when he does, roll to the right. Immediately put up your shield and hold it down and back your way towards the stairs. Once you've done that, take out each dog. If you can, go to the left of the stairs, you can drop down on the demon and stab him. It works pretty well but keep in mind that he can climb up there too so you're not fully safe. I'm a pyromancer so I stayed far away from him and used up all my fireballs. Once I was out of those, I used firebombs. I found that to be the easiest way to do it. 2 most important things: roll out of the way when he comes down with both weapons and keep your shield up to block anything else he tries to do. Hope this helps
that's how i did it: stay behind and let the two players with you kill it.
;)

vhfive

ok so I just beat the gaping dragon (with the help of 2 npcs :p) and now I don't know where to go or how to get out of the sewers

vhfive said:
ok so I just beat the gaping dragon (with the help of 2 npcs :p) and now I don't know where to go or how to get out of the sewers

Right by the shortcut to the bonfire there was a spot with a merchant and a huge metal door. You recieved a key that will open that door, and that will lead you down to the next area.

If you haven't though, you may want to double back up to the surface and check out the optional areas you may have missed to get some new equipment.

FINALBOSS

Banned
electricpirate said:
Pretty similar to you (A bit higher level, same place).

A couple notes: That ring the sorcerer sells affects you pyromancies. Go get it, 30% damage boost is very nice.

If you haven't yet [spoilers] return to the asylum to get some more gear, there's a nice shield, and a ring that's usefull for the Hydra fight and blightown [/spoiler]

If you're pyro/sorc that ring should be your first investment.

vhfive

electricpirate said:
Right by the shortcut to the bonfire there was a spot with a merchant and a huge metal door. You recieved a key that will open that door, and that will lead you down to the next area.

If you haven't though, you may want to double back up to the surface and check out the optional areas you may have missed to get some new equipment.
lol not sure how to get back to the surface but I've killed havel and the hydra. Is there anything else I should do before proceeding

vhfive said:
lol not sure how to get back to the surface but I've killed havel and the hydra. Is there anything else I should do before proceeding

Heh. Head back through where you came in, and walk back up the ramparts till you get to the third level or so, then head back through that path till you get back to a larger room with water in the middle. One side has a merchant and the gate to the next area, also in the room is a long staircase. Take that up and unlock the door (this is the shortcut), climb the ladder and head out to the bonfire room, which is right there.

From the bonfire room it's a short trip back to the surface, through the room of slimes (for grinding Large shards), then back to the butchers room, then the exit back to the Undead Burg.

Near the Hydra is the
butterfly
with another ember box. There's also the locked door there which leads to a great Soul farming location, and a covenant to join if you'd like to PVP.

Back in Firelink
you can get back to the tutorial area
there's a tough boss fight in there and a couple of decent items back in there.

duckroll

Question about stat scaling:

I've been pumping points mainly into Dex, because of my B scaling Dex weapons. Yesterday I hit 40 on Dex, and I noticed that suddenly there was a drastic sharp decrease in the impact of raising the stat. Before this, each level would increase my weapon damage stat by 4-5. But once I hit 40, every level put into Dex would only give a 0-1 stat increase on the weapon damage. So I decided not to put anymore points into Dex instead. Is there any reason to increase the stat any further? Is there some barrier I can eventually hit which will start to give good damage increase returns again after that point? Or is it all downhill from here?

i'd love some advice on what to do next, post-gargolyes.

just killed the gargolyes and rang the first bell. my understanding is that i can either go into the depths and deal with capra, which sounds like a bitch, or head into darkroot garden, which didn't seem too bad from my one venture through there. i'm a lvl 17ish wanderer, been using the same armor and weapon (axe +1) for a while and recently acquired soul arrow which helps a ton. i do feel like i should be moving on to a new weapon or something by now, though not sure i want the drake sword since it sounds a bit game-breaking in places (and everything else i've picked up is shittier than my axe). any advice would be dandy, thanks!

I'm currently trying to do the lower area of Sen's, having killed the main boss, the rock thrower, and 1 Titanite demon.

Once I finish there where should I go? Should I head to Anor Londo or should I go to Londo Ruins?

I have 5 or 6 of the temporary curse talismans and am about level 50 or 51 as a pyromancer. I really want to get some humanity so a place where I can get summoned a lot at my level would be good.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Where's the best gear for the thief in the game, do you peeps know? I'm still using the gear I had at the start of the game, I've run the first bell and about to go to the lower depths of the Burge, I've killed the boss in the forest, and current Soul level is 60.

sixghost

duckroll said:
Question about stat scaling:

I've been pumping points mainly into Dex, because of my B scaling Dex weapons. Yesterday I hit 40 on Dex, and I noticed that suddenly there was a drastic sharp decrease in the impact of raising the stat. Before this, each level would increase my weapon damage stat by 4-5. But once I hit 40, every level put into Dex would only give a 0-1 stat increase on the weapon damage. So I decided not to put anymore points into Dex instead. Is there any reason to increase the stat any further? Is there some barrier I can eventually hit which will start to give good damage increase returns again after that point? Or is it all downhill from here?
Prepared to be extremely bummed out by this:
Most people are suggesting now that you should upgrade your weapons to lightning rather than +15 normal. DEX/STR scaling is either broken or severely underpowered. I was at a DEX or 38 or 39 with a +10 B scaling bandit's knife, and upgraded to Lightning to see how it was, and it immediately did like 50-60% more damage at least, to just about everything. It kind seems like everything after your weapon req. in DEX or STR is a waste at this point. You can get a lightning weapon with 20 DEX for the min req. and be outdamaging a +12 DEX scaling weapon at 40 DEX. I think people say it evens out around 50 DEX, but that's really not worth it for all the stat points wasted.

Oh well though, something to learn for my next character.
ZombieFred said:
Where's the best gear for the thief in the game, do you peeps know? I'm still using the gear I had at the start of the game, I've run the first bell and about to go to the lower depths of the Burge, I've killed the boss in the forest, and current Soul level is 60.
Head to Demon's Ruins, through Queelag's area, and get the gold-hemmed robes. They're the best light weight armor in the game.

Skirn

God... DAMN IT!

The Firelink Shrine NPC in the cave that upgrades Estus Flask's dead. I was going to upgrade mine to +3 but I only found some shitty loot outside. Is there any way I can upgrade my flasks now or am I screwed?

Should've killed that turd
Latriac
when I had the chance.

duckroll

sixghost said:
Prepared to be extremely bummed out by this:
Most people are suggesting now that you should upgrade your weapons to lightning rather that +15. DEX/STR scaling is either broken or severely underpowered. I was at a DEX or 38 or 39 with a +10 B scaling bandit's knife, and upgraded to Lightning to see how it was, and it immediately did like 50-60% more damage at least, to just about everything. It kind seems like everything after your weapon req. in DEX or STR is a waste at this point. You can get a lightning weapon with 20 DEX for the min req. and be outdamaging a +12 DEX scaling weapon at 40 DEX. I think people say it evens out around 50 DEX, but that's really not worth it for all the stat points wasted.

Oh well though, something to learn for my next character.

What I don't understand here is, how can it "even out" around 50 DEX? My issue is that by looking at the raw stats, if I boost my DEX from 40 to 44, my right hand weapon damage stat on the level up screen literally only increases by 2. So based on that, if I pump my DEX up to 50, the damage stat increase from 40 DEX to 50 DEX would only be about 4-5 points. If a lightning weapon can do significantly more damage than a +12 weapon at 40 DEX, I don't see how it can ever "even out" at 50 DEX.

Is there something I'm missing?

Guys, where is the vendor
Shiva located in Blighttown? Is he on the platforms connected to the big waterwheel elevator or on a patch of land in the swamp or something?
I already saw him once in the forest but now... :/

Skirn said:
God... DAMN IT!

The Firelink Shrine NPC in the cave that upgrades Estus Flask's dead. I was going to upgrade mine to +3 but I only found some shitty loot outside. Is there any way I can upgrade my flasks now or am I screwed?

Should've killed that turd
Latriac
when I had the chance.

Yeah, you can in
first bonfire at Anor Londo and in Chaos Shrine in Blighttown below spider boss.

sixghost

duckroll said:
What I don't understand here is, how can it "even out" around 50 DEX? My issue is that by looking at the raw stats, if I boost my DEX from 40 to 44, my right hand weapon damage stat on the level up screen literally only increases by 2. So based on that, if I pump my DEX up to 50, the damage stat increase from 40 DEX to 50 DEX would only be about 4-5 points. If a lightning weapon can do significantly more damage than a +12 weapon at 40 DEX, I don't see how it can ever "even out" at 50 DEX.

Is there something I'm missing?
Lightning weapons can only be upgraded to +5 Lightning, after that the weapon can never be made to do any more damage since that upgrade path removes stat scaling. If you choose to go the +15 normal path, your stat scaling remains, and your weapon's damage can be increased with every additional point you put into DEX, up until 99, the maximum for any stat.

Well reading your response again I think that isn't what you were asking. I haven't tested it personally, that's just the number that I've seen thrown around a few times concerning this. It might be anywhere from 50 to 60.

finalozzo said:
i killed (blighttown spoiler)
Eingyi, near the big white spider.
so, bye bye to ''all pyromancer magics''? =|
Only bye bye to toxic cloud AFAIK.
You could also buy a 2nd poison cloud from him (the other can be found at the bottom swamp of blighttown).

Skirn

we.are.the.armada said:
Shiva located in Blighttown? Is he on the platforms connected to the big waterwheel elevator or on a patch of land in the swamp or something?

Yeah, you can in
first bonfire at Anor Londo and in Chaos Shrine in Blighttown below spider boss.
Phew, that's a relief.

Off to Anor Londo, wherever that is. I guess it's through New Londo?

we.are.the.armada said:

Yeah, you can in

I'll trade you -- tell me how to hit people who are "spectre" like Pharos in the forest. I want that bow.

--

Anyway, to answer your question, just below the water wheel, you'll see a door type structure on ground level -- he'll be leaning on it to the right of the opening (and the ninja bodyguard will be on the other side). If you're entering blighttown using the water wheel, there's no way you can miss seeing him... I saw him and was trying to figure out if I'd been invaded or something... he's just all non-chalant in his eastern armor.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
At some point in the early part of the game, when you return to Firelink Shrine and go left to the little reflecting pool, something starts growling (or maybe snoring?), complete with subtitles going "hnggggg....grrrrr.....". What's this about?

corrosivefrost said:
I'll trade you -- tell me how to hit people who are "spectre" like Pharos in the forest. I want that bow.

--

Anyway, to answer your question, just below the water wheel, you'll see a door type structure on ground level -- he'll be leaning on it to the right of the opening (and the ninja bodyguard will be on the other side). If you're entering blighttown using the water wheel, there's no way you can miss seeing him... I saw him and was trying to figure out if I'd been invaded or something... he's just all non-chalant in his eastern armor.

I hit them like regular enemies, only issue is that you cannot target them. Also, if he dies by falling, be sure to quit to the title and reload you game in order to get the drops.

As for Shiva, by ground level you mean the swamp level? Or the level that has the gray stone doorway adjacent to the water wheel (with the red wolves in it)? Thanks man!

Baha

Skirn said:
Phew, that's a relief.

Off to Anor Londo, wherever that is. I guess it's through New Londo?

It's beyond Sen's Fortress, also...
If you have a fire keeper soul, SAVE IT. You'll get a chance for revenge and to re-light that bonfire in Anor Londo.

bistromathics said:
At some point in the early part of the game, when you return to Firelink Shrine and go left to the little reflecting pool, something starts growling (or maybe snoring?), complete with subtitles going "hnggggg....grrrrr.....". What's this about?

Go ring the second bell to find out

vehn

bistromathics said:

It's Kingseeker Frampt

sixghost said:
Lightning weapons can only be upgraded to +5 Lightning, after that the weapon can never be made to do any more damage since that upgrade path removes stat scaling. If you choose to go the +15 normal path, your stat scaling remains, and your weapon's damage can be increased with every additional point you put into DEX, up until 99, the maximum for any stat.

Well reading your response again I think that isn't what you were asking. I haven't tested it personally, that's just the number that I've seen thrown around a few times concerning this. It might be anywhere from 50 to 60.

Is there a chance that the upcoming patch will change some of the stats / scaling of weapons to be better balanced?

I'd love if they dropped the damage on the drake sword by 50 pts

we.are.the.armada said:
I hit them like regular enemies, only issue is that you cannot target them. Also, if he dies by falling, be sure to quit to the title and reload you game in order to get the drops.

As for Shiva, by ground level you mean the swamp level? Or the level that has the gray stone doorway adjacent to the water wheel (with the red wolves in it)? Thanks man!

ground level with swamp.
If you want to talk to him and are at the bonfire down there, exit the tunnel and hug the right wall... after you kill the second bug, you should be at the ramp up to the waterwheel (I think it's a ramp... maybe a ladder)... anyway, he's right there against the wall next to a square door like opening with the ninja on the reverse side.

sixghost

Sir Garbageman said:
Is there a chance that the upcoming patch will change some of the stats / scaling of weapons to be better balanced?

I'd love if they dropped the damage on the drake sword by 50 pts
I've got no idea. They patched out the curse stacking, so I guess it's possible? I would really love that, as I've got about 20 points in DEX sitting there doing nothing but scaling my bow damage.

Macattk15 said:
Any point in upgrading the Gargoyle Tail Axe? Seems like the plain ol Battle Axe is better to upgrade :(

The gargoyle axe has some extra resistances and such, long range, and it scales with dex, unlike the standard axe which scales more with strength.

Mindman

I seriously can't beat the Taurus Demon. :( He hits me, I'm stunned, can't move, and he hits me again. Within 3 hits, I'm dead.

I'm level 14 pyromancer. Any tips/suggestions? I've tried the suggestions in the OP. So close, but so far away..

Mindman said:
I seriously can't beat the Taurus Demon. :( He hits me, I'm stunned, can't move, and he hits me again. Within 3 hits, I'm dead.

I'm level 14 pyromancer. Any tips/suggestions? I've tried the suggestions in the OP. So close, but so far away..

The way I beat him:

First, kill the archers then get him to spawn. Quickly sprint back to the tower and land a jump down critical attack as he stands at the base of the tower. Next, sprint away from him get about halfway down the bridge. Keep your distance and stay out of his range, lock on and chuck 3 or 4 fireballs at him while continuing to back up.

After he whiffs a giant attack, run past him back to the tower, climb up and rinse and repeat til dead. Basically just don't bother standing toe to toe with him and you should take him down with fireballs / jump attacks.

sixghost

Mindman said:

Get in range of his attack, roll or walk backwards out of range, then pelt him with your fire spell. You really need to get used to rolling to dodge boss attacks.

d0c_zaius

thanks Totalriot, GMUNYIFan and Patryn for the responses!

Pretty sad that I have to go all the way back up through hell to get to Firelink :(

abstract alien said:
Just out if curiosity, I won't get penalized for some reason if I drop my humanity at my bonfire so I don't lose it will I?
You can drop "active" humanity? If you mean the humanity bits in your inventory then those don't go away if you die.

Stampy

Please can anyone help me. I had a large stash of souls and humanity and I have dropped down from the place where crow leaves you after you come back from revisiting unded asylum. I have dropped down to the pool in the middle, but after I came back to life, there was no green bubbles to recollect my souls and humanity. Arghhhhh!!! :( Can anyone experiment or no maybe where i can look to find them? :/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stampy said:
Please can anyone help me. I had a large stash of souls and humanity and I have dropped down from the place where crow leaves you after you come back from revisiting unded asylum. I have dropped down to the pool in the middle, but after I came back to life, there was no green bubbles to recollect my souls and humanity. Arghhhhh!!! :( Can anyone experiment or no maybe where i can look to find them? :/

You should check were you dropped from, not to. Did you jump down from the second floor? Check there.

Top Bottom