• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

So I just got the game, and I wanna play a melee character, which starter class would be the best?

Im trying to decide between Knight and Warrior.

1stStrike

Banned
mjc said:
FUCK THE CAPRA DEMON

That is all.

He's really not hard. Just clam up behind a large shield in the beginning, spear a dog or two to death and circle around him and up the stairs. It's cake from then on.

DualShadow said:
So I just got the game, and I wanna play a melee character, which starter class would be the best?

Im trying to decide between Knight and Warrior.

I went knight as my first class and didn't regret it later on, but was not happy at the start. In the beginning, I felt slow and weak though. That heavy armor really doesn't help much at first.

Sullichin said:
So.. do you guys think that farming spot in the forest is intentional?

Stampy said:
YES!!! I have found them. Apparently the crow took the liberty to take those souls to the undead asylum. I can't believe what a lucky thing this was. The bubbles weren't even visible. I was just trying to go there for the slightest chance chance they might be there and then after seeing nothing, I went to the nest to return to the firelink shrine and instead i got the message that i have recovered souls...

awful hard to say what is & isn't intentional with these guys :) . was the 4-2 spot in demon's souls intentional?...

24FrameDaVinci said:
I need help with Capra Demon and would be willing to help after we kill him in my world. Any takers? SL18 Sorc Ps3

Just so you know, if you have the Master Key you don't even need to fight him, ever.

Mid game spoilers. Fire Keeper
So it looks like that gold bastard killed the Fire Keeper at the shrine. Do I use the black eye orb to get revenge?

Sir Garbageman said:
So it looks like that gold bastard killed the Fire Keeper at the shrine. Do I use the black eye orb to get revenge?

Yea you can use it later on in
Anor Lando

Sanic

Decided to rent this, can't defeat the first 'boss's. Cool! Is that fight optional? I'm talking about the second time you confront it.

Orayn

Pandoracell said:
Decided to rent this, can't defeat the first 'boss's. Cool! Is that fight optional? I'm talking about the second time you confront it.
The time you encounter it immediately after getting your weapon and shield? That's not optional. What's giving you trouble?

Sir Garbageman said:

yes, you will notice when it's the right time.

1stStrike

Banned
Pandoracell said:

Welcome to Dark Souls. The trick to this game is to learn the enemies moves and be able to avoid them and react accordingly. Also, this will show you their weakness. In the case of the first boss in the asylum, his weakness is his back. Just make sure you stay behind him, roll through his legs, etc. and attack him from behind.

SaitoH

Sir Garbageman said:

Happened to me too -though I was pretty damn sure it was going to.

REVENGE!

Grinchy

Banned
New L
ondo Ruins
question. Basically, should I even be here right now?

I've made it to the lower part, and before I get too much further in I'm just wondering if I should be here at all.

I just beat Q
uelaag
. Should I have done something else before coming here?

1stStrike

Banned
Grinchy said:
New L
ondo Ruins
question. Basically, should I even be here right now?

I've made it to the lower part, and before I get too much further in I'm just wondering if I should be here at all.

I just beat Q
uelaag
. Should I have done something else before coming here?

Unless you want to join the covenant in that location go to Sen's Fortress, or clear out the
hydra
from the forest. Save that place for later in the game, as there's some nasty enemies in there.

Grinchy

Banned
1stStrike said:
Unless you want to join the covenant in that location go to Sen's Fortress, or clear out the
hydra
from the forest. Save that place for later in the game, as there's some nasty enemies in there.
Damn that's what I was afraid of lol.

I cleared out the
blob that looks like the 1-1 boss in DeSouls
and I got the elevators working. I just kept getting a weird feeling that I was in an area I didn't need to be in yet. If you don't mind, where should I go right now?

anddo0

Why can't I open certain doors.
A door located in Anor Lando says "sealed by the great lords power". I ran into a similar door with a yellow glow in the demon ruins

1stStrike

Banned
Grinchy said:
Damn that's what I was afraid of lol.

I cleared out the
blob that looks like the 1-1 boss in DeSouls
and I got the elevators working. I just kept getting a weird feeling that I was in an area I didn't need to be in yet. If you don't mind, where should I go right now?

Like I said, Sen's Fortress. Back track out to Firelink Shrine and go to the bonfire by the blacksmith, and into Sen's Fortress. This will eventually lead you to the next area. After beating this area, you should then make sure all of your weapons and stuff are as upgraded as you can get them, and then go from there. My recommendation on order is:

Duke's Library / Crystal Caverns > Lost Izalath > Tomb of the Giants > New Londo

anddo0 said:
Why can't I open certain doors.
A door located in Anor Lando says "sealed by the great lords power". I ran into a similar door with a yellow glow in the demon ruins

Don't worry about that until later on. You need to do some stuff first before you can go in there.

Grinchy

Banned
1stStrike said:
Like I said, Sen's Fortress. Back track out to Firelink Shrine and go to the bonfire by the blacksmith, and into Sen's Fortress. This will eventually lead you to the next area. After beating this area, you should then make sure all of your weapons and stuff are as upgraded as you can get them, and then go from there. My recommendation on order is:
Oh I see, I was reading it as "continue in that area if you want to join the covenent or go to Sen's. I get it now though haha. Thanks for the help!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Any tips for combatting the heavier enemies in this game? The Knight (The guy with the red cape) is about the biggest enemy I'm comfortable with fighting right now.

I think Im ~level 14 and I reached
the lift in the Undead Parish that takes you back to the starting area where the bird drops you off

There's a huge guy wearing a ton of armor, and a caster on the second floor. Doesn't really feel like I do much damage to them, and that's if I can even manage to land a hit.

Playing a Cleric with a Knight Shield and a War Pick with a semi-full set of chainmail.

Johnas

Tomat said:
Any tips for combatting the heavier enemies in this game? The Knight (The guy with the red cape) is about the biggest enemy I'm comfortable with fighting right now.

the left in the Undead Parish that takes you back to the starting area where the bird drops you off

There's a huge guy wearing a ton of armor, and a caster on the second floor. Doesn't really feel like I do much damage to them, and that's if I can even manage to land a hit.

Playing a Cleric with a Knight Shield and a War Pick with a semi-full set of chainmail.

Luring that big guy outside (down the steps) into that patio-type area might be useful. For the bigger guys I try to stay close to them with my shield up, if they don't manage to land a hit on your shield you can whip behind them and backstab pretty quickly, or at least manage to get two regular hits before they get turned around.

I forget specifically what kind of attacks he has though.

Is your pick upgraded at all?

1stStrike

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
No bonfire in
New Rondo Ruins
? This trip to the
four kings
is killing me. I'm not liking this fight at all.

Nope, there's no bonfire in there at all. The nearest thing is a shortcut which opens the door in the
valley of drakes so you can make a run from the elevator into that section of New Londo if you die

I only died once in there, and one shotted the bosses - so it was luckily not that bad.

A few questions since I can't play more tonight:

About the Forest:

Can I enter the forest covenant if I turn it down once? I tried talking a second time but I didn't get a choice again.

I found the wolf, but he seems a bit too powerful right now. If I'm only hitting him for 50 damage, should I be fighting him later?

Is there a bonfire in the darkroot other than the one below where the knight was?

Where should I go? Forest or Blight town? I just finished the Depths and have been running around since.

elty

Petrus (the guy that teaches miracle in Firelink Shrine) asked me for 2400 souls to talk about
secret undead mission
. Do I have to pay him or it is optional?

Tomat said:

the lift in the Undead Parish that takes you back to the starting area where the bird drops you off

I found that part quite difficult. I ended up picking up the drake sword and it made it a lot easier since I hit significantly harder against those enemies. Warning: Drake sword is quite powerful and you might feel like it is a bit cheap. I felt as though the next boss was a little easy because of it.

1stStrike said:
Nope, there's no bonfire in there at all. The nearest thing is a shortcut which opens the door in the
valley of drakes so you can make a run from the elevator into that section of New Londo if you die

I only died once in there, and one shotted the bosses - so it was luckily not that bad.
Damn. To add insult to injury suddenly every time I try to summon someone into my world it fails.

gdt

Tomat said:

War Pick?

Ditch that shit and get the Drake Sword asap.

mujun

prodystopian said:

About the Forest:

Can I enter the forest covenant if I turn it down once? I tried talking a second time but I didn't get a choice again.

I found the wolf, but he seems a bit too powerful right now. If I'm only hitting him for 50 damage, should I be fighting him later?

Is there a bonfire in the darkroot other than the one below where the knight was?

Where should I go? Forest or Blight town? I just finished the Depths and have been running around since.

1. Not sure.

2. I'd try later if that's all the damage you are doing. Trick is
to stay between his legs/under him the whole time.

3. Yep go to
the door with the shiny lock. Hit the wall to it's left and bam, hidden bonfire. Also the bonfire you use as a base if you want to grind in the forest.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
gdt5016 said:
War Pick?

Ditch that shit and get the Drake Sword asap.

I thought that weapon was considered cheese? I planned on staying away from it.

mujun

Charmicarmicat said:
Where can i pick up the Server sword? Trying a Google search Of Dark Souls + Server is obviously not very helpful :p

It's
in the Blighttown swamp, far right corner (when looking over the swamp from bottom of the scaffolding that you climb down) surrounded by leeches. Past the shortcut to the Great Hollow.

1stStrike

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
Where can i pick up the Server sword? Trying a Google search Of Dark Souls + Server is obviously not very helpful :p

Coming down from
Blight Town - hang a left and go to the far edge of the swamp where the slugs are. It's way in the back corner on a corpse and there's a bunch of slugs surrounding it. Hard to miss.

The special ability on it doesn't give you much
health
back, but I went ahead and upgraded it to a +10 Fire Server and it's pretty beastly with speeds rivaling that of the Queelag's Furysword, yet without the downsides that come from Chaos weapons.

mujun said:
1. Not sure.

2. I'd try later if that's all the damage you are doing. Trick is
to stay between his legs/under him the whole time.

3. Yep go to
the door with the shiny lock. Hit the wall to it's left and bam, hidden bonfire. Also the bonfire you use as a base if you want to grind in the forest.

Thanks! Should I be doing blight town first, though?

Is there a merchant in this game that sells arrows other than the one in undead burg?

TheBear

bigjimmystyle said:
What's the next best sword to use after the Drakesword, via upgrades or otherwise?
I currently have some titanite, divine ember, and some gold resin.

Hoping someone could help me with this. Is Astoras Straight sword an upgrade? Or a katana?

prodystopian said:

About the Forest:

1. Yes but you need to pay the absolution fee, 2k souls * your level. I turned it down at first and was bummed but after I grinded out 68k souls (on their own protectors hehe) they were willing to talk to me again

I would suggest finishing up the front end of the forest if you haven't done so and get the
butterflyboss
then if you wish, grind on the guardians and then head to blighttown. make sure you bring PLENTY of poison cures. O and the women who sells these cures also sells poison & fire arrows. As well as humanity

elty

I found a bug when I am fighting that big armor knight in Undead Perish. I saw it coming so I was running like hell, I ran
all the way to the first gate (before you fight the boar), and it chased me all the way. However after attacking once near the stair there, it just turned away and slowly walking back to its spawn point. I followed him and keep attacking his back, he didn't fight back and die. I think enemy has certain limited area, and if they get out of the area they will try to get back to the spawn point without reacting to you.

I used the same tactic to beat Havel.
I entered from Darkroot Basin, enter the door to lure it out. It would attack once then head back into the tower, allowing me to get 2-4 free hits. I repeated this for awhile and eventually brought him down.

elty said:
I found a bug when I am fighting that big armor knight in Undead Perish. I saw it coming so I was running like hell, I ran
all the way to the first gate (before you fight the boar), and it chased me all the way. However after attacking once near the stair there, it just turned away and slowly walking back to its spawn point. I followed him and keep attacking his back, he didn't fight back and die. I think enemy has certain limited area, and if they get out of the area they will try to get back to the spawn point without reacting to you.

I used the same tactic to beat Havel.
I entered from Darkroot Basin, enter the door to lure it out. It would attack once then head back into the tower, allowing me to get 2-4 free hits. I repeated this for awhile and eventually brought him down.

This is true of a lot of miniboss type enemies in both Demon's and Dark Souls.

Edit: Thanks razgriz.

mujun

prodystopian said:
Thanks! Should I be doing blight town first, though?

Is there a merchant in this game that sells arrows other than the one in undead burg?

I'd leave
Sif
till later.

So you've finished the Depths? If you have then, yeah, I'd do Blighttown. It's not hard as long as you are careful (ambushes, precarious paths and poison). Make sure you find and rest at the bonfire closest to the boss, too. Otherwise you'll have to do a lot of it again.

mujun

bigjimmystyle said:
Hoping someone could help me with this. Is Astoras Straight sword an upgrade? Or a katana?

Not exactly sure what you mean, you pick it up in a certain spot and it can be upgraded to +5.

O and one thing about blighttown, if you are part of the forest covenant they'll be a merchant you can buy, katanas, claws, great axes, flameburg, demon spear, etc. from down in the bottom of blighttown. A lot of people ask about him later so I figure I'd give you a heads up

TheBear

mujun said:
Not exactly sure what you mean, you pick it up in a certain spot and it can be upgraded to +5.

Well I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to go and find it or whether I should focus on upgrading another blade.

bigjimmystyle said:
Well I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to go and find it or whether I should focus on upgrading another blade.
I upgraded it to +2 and found that it was still weaker to the drake sword at +0, tho my str/dex wasn't that high, probably 16/14 at the time. Not worth it imo because it uses twinkling shards I believe and those are harder to come by than normal titanite. I'd suggest upgrading a different weapon instead.

mujun

bigjimmystyle said:

80 physical damage and 80 magic damage. Can be upgraded to +5. Requires 14 faith to use and scales with faith.

Top Bottom