• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Ashkeloth

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm completely out of Transient curses, and certainly don't want to be going into that boss fight with half health on a character I've never put a point of VIT into. Is there a special route through, or do I just have to run the same path I did the first time to get to the gate?

Natiko

Banned
Aaron said:
They do, though it's somewhat rare.
Ashkeloth said:
I'm pretty sure I've had a couple of pieces of Blue Titanite drop from them on occasion, but it seems to be very scarce when I consider the amount of times that I have ran through that area and had to kill all four of them.

The wiki says they apparently do as well.

Thanks, I guess I'll keep at it some more and move on when I just get too bored.

glaurung

Another question that I asked in the main thread and did not get a reply:

When I hit the enemies, the impact effect sometimes has a green hue. Does this mean I am earning humanity from the hit? It cannot be about poisoning or other status ailments, because I am using very simple weaponry.

Is there a viable way to read the humanity meter? I notice it gets brighter every now and then... Or it could be just my imagination.

Soma

Ashkeloth said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm completely out of Transient curses, and certainly don't want to be going into that boss fight with half health on a character I've never put a point of VIT into. Is there a special route through, or do I just have to run the same path I did the first time to get to the gate?
Here's a really fast way to get to the boss fight in New Londo from the Firelink Shrine elevator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoeFbH8hHc

The first part shows the way to get there and the rest shows the guy fighting the boss so I don't know if you want to spoil yourself on that.

So, I have a (maybe stupid) question about attunement. I am thinking about buying some spells for my wanderer down the road but I want to clear this up first. If you have attuned a spell/miracle to an attunement slot, is it possible to replace the spell in that slot with another spell later on, or are you stuck with it for the rest of the game? And if it is possible to replace it, will you lose the scroll of the first spell? I just want to be on the safe side before using up my souls.

Thanks!

Ashkeloth

moonspeak said:
Here's a really fast way to get to the boss fight in New Londo from the Firelink Shrine elevator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoeFbH8hHc

The first part shows the way to get there and the rest shows the guy fighting the boss so I don't know if you want to spoil yourself on that.

Not going to lie. I totally just stumbled into that area by accident a couple of minutes ago. Suffice to say, faces and palms have had a meeting.

Thanks for the help regardless.

As to the above, yeah, you can re-attune magic to slots whenever you want, and you don't lose any spells you've bought already.

Guys, I've completed the Undead Parish, beaten the Gargoyles and rung the bell, where would you recommend I head next? So far it seems like my options are: Black Forest, The Depths, Darkroot Basin...anything I'm missing?

Ashkeloth

PumpkinPie said:
Guys, I've completed the Undead Parish, beaten the Gargoyles and rung the bell, where would you recommend I head next? So far it seems like my options are: Black Forest, The Depths, Darkroot Basin...anything I'm missing?

Either kill the Capra Demon and go to the depths using the key it drops, or, if you have trouble with him still at your current level, go to the forest and kill the Moonlight Butterfly, since it's really easy, especially if
you summon the NPC witch whose summon sign is hidden in the bushes under the stairs that lead to the boss fog door.

Ashkeloth said:
Either kill the Capra Demon and go to the depths using the key it drops, or, if you have trouble with him still at your current level, go to the forest and kill the Moonlight Butterfly, since it's really easy, especially if
you summon the NPC witch whose summon sign is hidden in the bushes under the stairs that lead to the boss fog door.

I've beaten Capra, I think I might go to the forest first though. I did go in a little but stopped at the fog door as I wasn't sure I wanted to fight another boss yet. Thanks :)

Styles

glaurung said:
Another question that I asked in the main thread and did not get a reply:

When I hit the enemies, the impact effect sometimes has a green hue. Does this mean I am earning humanity from the hit? It cannot be about poisoning or other status ailments, because I am using very simple weaponry.

Is there a viable way to read the humanity meter? I notice it gets brighter every now and then... Or it could be just my imagination.

I think it just indicates your retaliation to their attack, caused by your blocking. Try this: Block an undead soldier's attack with your shield then immediately hit it. I think that's all to it.

It's dark when you're hollow and glows when you're human.

Zeliard

Pegasos123 said:
Are there any shortcuts in blighttown?...it was a torture to get out of there after the boss...all the way up again

From the bonfire in the swamp head to the right after leaving and go up the structure via the ladders. Go through the cave with the three trolls then cross the bridge and you'll be underneath Firelink.

Corky said:
Dear GAF :

I have a garbage STR build and gear that doesn't suit my playstyle because all of my weapons are slow/slower ( trying to not die .... ).

I have lots of weapons, rare and the like, yet tragically my "best" weapon seem to be a run of the mill great axe +10.

Yea I'm in the same point. I've gotten my STR up to 24 but soon realized I don't enjoy using all the big weapons. Fortunately I've been going with the Halberd and loving it so far and just plan on switching it over to an elemental weapon so the scaling doesn't matter.

Can someone confirm this is the way to go to get all goodies from the Forest Covenant?

1. Join Forest Covenant.

2. Invade 3 times to kill the host and get the Fog Ring.

3. Go to Blight Town, buy all the weapons you want from Shiva.

4. Kill the Ninja, loot the ring, thus breaking the covenant.

Totalriot

Castor Krieg said:
Can someone confirm this is the way to go to get all goodies from the Forest Covenant?

1. Join Forest Covenant.

2. Invade 3 times to kill the host and get the Fog Ring.

3. Go to Blight Town, buy all the weapons you want from Shiva.

4. Kill the Ninja, loot the ring, thus breaking the covenant.

Sounds about right. I am wondering if you could just leave via the church guy before doing 4. or if he is then gone.

orion434

How can you defeat Pharis without making him fall off a cliff? Last night I tried to lure him out but he'd always go back to shooting Arrows right near the cliff. I'd go back to the Bonfire and try for another bait... but he just won't bite. Then I thought... maybe he won't fall off the cliff? No 2nd swing made him fall to his death and I was out a chance of his Bow-drop. I want that dam bow!

So I'm a level 29 Thief using a Longsword + 7 and a Hollow Shield or something. I'm playing it wrong aren't I?

I picked Thief because I didn't know at the time that the Master Key was a gift that any class could choose. Not sure at this point that I can play a true thief because I don't have a lot of confidence in my parrying ability. I've thought about upgrading my Bandit Knife and using it as an offhand weapon maybe.

How do others like to play this class?

OMG, I just killed the
Gaping Dragon, which I found pretty "easy" after a few tries, and the bonfire being so close just made it better
and got 25k souls... I don't know what to do with them, I guess I should go to the blacksmith and upgrade my weapons and stop using the Drake Sword.

matmanx1

I'm having a rough time with the boss of Blighttown. I feel like I'm doing tiny damage to her and yet she can explode one time and pretty much kill me. More Fire resist would help (and I picked up the Tattered Gear from near where she is which has decent fire resists) but the bigger problem is that this is not going to be a winnable fight for me unless I can down her quicker.

My best weapons are my Drake Sword and my Short Bow +10, neither of which I can enchant with Magic Weapon or Resin. Short Bow does about 35 damage a hit on her and Drake Sword is about twice that much. I'm level 36 which I don't consider to be drastically under leveled for her and I've cleaned out pretty much all of the rest of Blightown so it's either kill her or go somewhere else.

I'm guessing that Magic or Lightning damage would be more effective on her but there doesn't seem to be any easily obtainable magic or lightning weapons in my level range that I know of. Other thoughts I've had include trying to poison her with some poison arrows (is that feasible?) or trying to proc Iaito's bleed on her (possible?) while using some Resin. Either of those strategies are going to require me to backtrack all the way out of Blighttown which is a huge drag and my number one beef with Dark Souls over Demon Souls. No hub world for resource purchasing adds alot of backtracking over some pretty nasty terrain. =/

So, any suggestions for me on that fight? Any help would be appreciated.

matmanx1 said:
I'm having a rough time with the boss of Blighttown. I feel like I'm doing tiny damage to her and yet she can explode one time and pretty much kill me. More Fire resist would help (and I picked up the Tattered Gear from near where she is which has decent fire resists) but the bigger problem is that this is not going to be a winnable fight for me unless I can down her quicker.

My best weapons are my Drake Sword and my Short Bow +10, neither of which I can enchant with Magic Weapon or Resin. Short Bow does about 35 damage a hit on her and Drake Sword is about twice that much. I'm level 36 which I don't consider to be drastically under leveled for her and I've cleaned out pretty much all of the rest of Blightown so it's either kill her or go somewhere else.

I'm guessing that Magic or Lightning damage would be more effective on her but there doesn't seem to be any easily obtainable magic or lightning weapons in my level range that I know of. Other thoughts I've had include trying to poison her with some poison arrows (is that feasible?) or trying to proc Iaito's bleed on her (possible?) while using some Resin. Either of those strategies are going to require me to backtrack all the way out of Blighttown which is a huge drag and my number one beef with Dark Souls over Demon Souls. No hub world for resource purchasing adds alot of backtracking over some pretty nasty terrain. =/

I don't believe you can get lightning weapons til after you beat her. If you want to use arrows, and for the human part, it does extra damage.

I'd suggest using Iaito, after the depths, you can really notice the inadequecies of the drake sword. I got that weapon to +5 then made it divine +5 but that's because I want to focus of Faith. If you plan to stick with melee, I suggest staying close to the right eye, you can dodge a lot of attacks by staying there. Once you see the human part of her hug the rest, it means she's going to AOE so GTFO. That AOE is also blockabale if you have a good shield, just make sure everytime you go into attack you leave a bit of stamina to either roll or block. I did this boss solo and while it took forever, I beat it. Since then I've killed up I think somewhere near 15-20 times for others. If you are having trouble you can always try to summon. I was summoned in 8 times in 2 hours yesterday @ lvl 42

NIN90

matmanx1 said:

You tried summoning Maneater Mildred? She tanks very well in that fight so you can just keep slashing away at the boss.

psy18

Just cleared then NG+ and got the "dark" ending. WAY BETTER than the "good" ending.
You walk back to lordvessel to see Frampt, Kaathe & other primordial snakes bowing to you and and hail you as the dark lord. Not much but better than being burned :p

NG+ is way tougher so if you guys need to farm/create stuff better do it in first play.

johntown

Banned
matmanx1 said:

I feel you on that boss. I usually like to do everything on my own without help but after about 30 tries and not even able to get her down past half her health I did some summoning.

I had the Maneater Mildred which actually lasted for the whole fight and some other guy which needless to say did not and with both of them it was still rough fight which if I did one thing wrong would have ended really quick.

psy18

johntown said:
How so? Enemies take lots more hits to take down? What level did you start NG+ at?

Yeah they have more HP and their attack hurts a lot more.
Started at around 75-80. I moved on to NG+ after I got all the weapons I wanted.

matmanx1

NIN90 said:
You tried summoning Maneater Mildred? She tanks very well in that fight so you can just keep slashing away at the boss.

I haven't summoned Mildred yet but I just watched a video on IGN and she actually holds up really well for someone in a loin cloth. I did summon 2 players last night on one attempt and we were doing pretty well until that AOE killed us. I really feel like that without that move she'd be a total pushover.

I also noticed on the IGN video that the guy was using a Crystal Shield which I know you can buy from the vendor in the Depths. It's unrepairable but if the Fire Defense and Stability are higher than my Hollow Shield then it might be worth the investment to use on certain fights.

Totalriot

psy18 said:
Just cleared then NG+ and got the "dark" ending. WAY BETTER than the "good" ending.
You walk back to lordvessel to see Frampt, Kaathe & other primordial snakes bowing to you and and hail you as the dark lord. Not much but better than being burned :p

NG+ is way tougher so if you guys need to farm/create stuff better do it in first play.

So you already beat the game twice? Nicely done, you are fast :)

johntown

Banned
matmanx1 said:
I haven't summoned Mildred yet but I just watched a video on IGN and she actually holds up really well for someone in a loin cloth. I did summon 2 players last night on one attempt and we were doing pretty well until that AOE killed us. I really feel like that without that move she'd be a total pushover.

I also noticed on the IGN video that the guy was using a Crystal Shield which I know you can buy from the vendor in the Depths. It's unrepairable but if the Fire Defense and Stability are higher than my Hollow Shield then it might be worth the investment to use on certain fights.
The AOE attack kept killing me too (one shot). I had to let the guy I summoned and the NPC do most of the melee attacks while I would hit her ranged.

I thought Quaelag's explosion only happens if you attack her tail. It took only 3 or 4 tries for me to kill her. On the kill, she hadn't done her explosion attack at all.

So from reading previous posts, apparently some sort of forest area opened up after killing the Gargoyles? Where is that? I'm just after killing Quaelag right now, and Sen's Fortress is still way too tough for me, so I'm not sure where to go next (I was thinking Catacombs since I got a divine weapon in blighttown).

johntown

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
I thought Quaelag's explosion only happens if you attack her tail. It took only 3 or 4 tries for me to kill her. On the kill, she hadn't done her explosion attack at all.

So from reading previous posts, apparently some sort of forest area opened up after killing the Gargoyles? Where is that? I'm just after killing Quaelag right now, and Sen's Fortress is still way too tough for me, so I'm not sure where to go next (I was thinking Catacombs since I got a divine weapon in blighttown).
Where did you find a divine weapon in blightown?

Risk Breaker said:
OMG, I just killed the
Gaping Dragon, which I found pretty "easy" after a few tries, and the bonfire being so close just made it better
and got 25k souls... I don't know what to do with them, I guess I should go to the blacksmith and upgrade my weapons and stop using the Drake Sword.

If you havent already..Go buy the seal to unlock the door in Dark Woods. Right inside he door is the soul farming spot. Will cost you 20k souls to buy the seal but you will make them back in 10minutes of just kiting.

Even if your like me and are against power level off this spot at least then you can churn out about 15k souls every 10minutes so you can buy anything you need really fast.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mildred is... variable. First time on the boss I summoned her and she effortlessly ground it down to the extent I thought she realistically was going to be able to solo it. Feeling a bit guilty about cheesing the fight I went 2h and jumped in... only to eat a blast wave to the face and get 1-shotted...

Next 4 attempts Quelaag smeared her, real quick. So don't expect her always to do so well.

Problem was I'd spent so long in Blighttown I ran out of arrows and then humanity, and ended up having to abort via climbing out through New Londo Ruins.

Quite a trip!

Although it was pretty much a failure as a run, I learned so much about navigating the swamp I have no qualms about going back in. If you have a fast moving character you can pretty much roll point-to-point ignoring everything. At one point I went back up to the first bonfire and came back down training every mob in the area and got to the bonfire nearest Quelaag's without getting touched.

kamorra said:
Which is the first spell that I should buy from the pyromancer trainer?

Combustion is excellent, it's like a melee fire attack, it's become one of my staple attacks, as it does about 3x my physical damage (Glove is at +9, plus the sorc ring), it's fast and you don't lose any stamina for it.

After that, the iron skin spell is awesome, I used it to just tank the
bear cats

Then bust out more fireballs and fire orb. Sweat is pretty situational, I haven't fought a fire enemy since I bought it.

johntown said:
Where did you find a divine weapon in blightown?

Sorry, Valley of Drakes, right outside of Blighttown.

If you run along the edge of the cliff you'll eventually reach a sleeping dragon with 3 items under it. He'll wake up if you get close to him but you should have enough time to grab the items before he kills you- he swiped me for about 95% of my health bar and I was able to escape. Alternatively, if you don't want to die, you can probably wake him up and run out before he hits you. He's easy enough to kill from a distance because his attacks follow a predictable pattern.

Pkm said:
If you havent already..Go buy the seal to unlock the door in Dark Woods. Right inside he door is the soul farming spot. Will cost you 20k souls to buy the seal but you will make them back in 10minutes of just kiting.

Even if your like me and are against power level off this spot at least then you can churn out about 15k souls every 10minutes so you can buy anything you need really fast.

Thanks, will do :) I'm against power leveling as well, but I guess it's a nice investment.

johntown

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Sorry, Valley of Drakes, right outside of Blighttown.

If you run along the edge of the cliff you'll eventually reach a sleeping dragon with 3 items under it. He'll wake up if you get close to him but you should have enough time to grab the items before he kills you- he swiped me for about 95% of my health bar and I was able to escape. Alternatively, if you don't want to die, you can probably wake him up and run out before he hits you. He's easy enough to kill from a distance because his attacks follow a predictable pattern.
The Asotria Sword? That is a divine weapon?

Frostburn

Mister Zimbu said:

She can do that attack whenever she wants, at least from what I experienced. Sometimes she would do the AOE attack over and over and not much else and I wasn't even near her. I had a hard time keeping her in view so I could see her bend down to signal the attack, that was my hardest part of the fight, that and making sure I didn't get trapped in from her lava attack. It was without a doubt the hardest fight I've had, I think it was due in part to me being annoyed by the framerate in the area outside her and the run from the bonfire to make another attempt.

johntown

Banned
test_account said:
How? I get toasted everytime :(

EDIT: And i'm way too slow to run back and take cover.
It is difficult to explain but run a little bit on it (you will get hit once) and the dragon will kill off all the soliders. Once they are gone for some reason you can make it to the middle before he toast you. Once you get to the middle there are stairs to the right which you need to go down.

EDIT: Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCLla8tQ6k

kodt

Banned
matmanx1 said:

I beat her with the Drake Sword. Just run straight up in her face, if you are close she doesn't do that fire-spray which creates lava pools. If you are right next to her many of her attacks miss, but I had no issue blocking them.

Just watch out when she raises up as she may do this AOE fire attack, just roll out of there when she does that.

Doing some PVP the other day, once I get invaded in the
inner darkroot garden
how can I leave the area? After getting invaded 3 times (and winning! *flex*), I went back to the door and found it fogged, and I couldn't get through. I ended up having to homebone to get out of there.

Also, what
nest
do I drop stuff in to do the trades? the one that takes me
back to the asylum
or something else?

Top Bottom