• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Tomat said:
I thought that weapon was considered cheese? I planned on staying away from it.

It is pretty cheese - but the game is pretty hard even with it. Attacking at the wrong time and not paying attention will still get you killed.

I personally didn't use it - I used a halberd + shield combo.

You should get yourself the winged spear in the cemetery outside Firelink Shrine and try to upgrade it at the blacksmith. Works great for killing the big guy as it has decent range (can force him to whiff his attacks, move in hit him once, back out. He looks intimidating but really he's not that bad.

TheBear

razgriz417 said:
I upgraded it to +2 and found that it was still weaker to the drake sword at +0, tho my str/dex wasn't that high, probably 16/14 at the time. Not worth it imo because it uses twinkling shards I believe and those are harder to come by than normal titanite. I'd suggest upgrading a different weapon instead.

Thanks for that, what sword would you suggest then?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'll try that. I figured I should stick to hammers/low stat requirement weapons since Im playing as a Cleric.

bigjimmystyle said:
Thanks for that, what sword would you suggest then?
I used a winged spear or drake sword all the way to blighttown then switched to a iaito. It depends on your build though, if you have high strength theres a bunch of heavier weapons to choose from. I've kept dex and strength below 20 so I stick with spears and curved swords.

I'd say try out a bunch of weapons and see which ones you like, both in the sense for damage and animation. Then upgrade it a bit, I find that upgrading your weapons giving you more damage output than just leveling up.

I'm in Blight Town getting ready to fight the boss, and I'm feeling a little weak so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions for my character, especially on possible equipment. Or just to see if I'm on a good path.

I made a Thief focusing on Dex/End, stats are: lvl 42, vit 10, attune 14, endurance 20, str 14, dex 30, resist 10, int 14, faith 11. I've dabbled a little into sorcery to use the utility spells like Magic Weapon/Aural Decoy/Hidden Body/Light/etc.

My equipment is all the starting equipment still. Bandit Knife +7, Thief Mask and Black Leather armor all +3. Caduceus Kite Shield +5, Long Bow +5, and I have the Iaito katana +5, which I use against guys who I can't backstab. Tin Banishment Catalyst for spellcasting.

Am I doing okay? Any armor or anything I should be looking out for?

tokkun

Cross-posting from other thread:

How difficult is it to get the fog ring in the Forest Covenant? I'm only about level 30 and since it sounds like there is no level balance in Forest invasions, I guess I might get demolished. I don't want to join the covenant and give up the easy soul farming if I won't be able to finish it.

voodoopanda said:
I'm in Blight Town getting ready to fight the boss, and I'm feeling a little weak so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions for my character, especially on possible equipment. Or just to see if I'm on a good path.

I made a Thief focusing on Dex/End, stats are: lvl 42, vit 10, attune 14, endurance 20, str 14, dex 30, resist 10, int 14, faith 11. I've dabbled a little into sorcery to use the utility spells like Magic Weapon/Aural Decoy/Hidden Body/Light/etc.

My equipment is all the starting equipment still. Bandit Knife +7, Thief Mask and Black Leather armor all +3. Caduceus Kite Shield +5, Long Bow +5, and I have the Iaito katana +5, which I use against guys who I can't backstab. Tin Banishment Catalyst for spellcasting.

Am I doing okay? Any armor or anything I should be looking out for?

There's a crimson set of armor that is at the top of blighttown that I found useful. For the boss, stick close to the face and once you learn when she does her AOE you should be ok. Summon help if you need it, you're like the perfect level for that boss when it comes to summoning help. Does the Caduceus shield block 100% of physical dmg? If not I suggest leveling up a hollow shield, at +10 it has one of the highest stabilities for medium sized shields

tokkun said:
Cross-posting from other thread:

How difficult is it to get the fog ring in the Forest Covenant? I'm only about level 30 and since it sounds like there is no level balance in Forest invasions, I guess I might get demolished. I don't want to join the covenant and give up the easy soul farming if I won't be able to finish it.

Its really a crap shoot, you need 3 wins to get it but its kind of random as to who you invade. Its possible that you won't be the only invader too. As long as the host dies, it counts as a win for you, you don't need the last hit. I say just go for it, try to wear it at times when you think Japanese players won't be on :)

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
So, regarding the Painted World:
I just beat the undead dragon and now I'm here. I assume Priscilla is past that, but I don't know how to get there.
Any help would be appreciated.

1stStrike

Banned
Captain Pants said:
So, regarding the Painted World:
I just beat the undead dragon and now I'm here. I assume Priscilla is past that, but I don't know how to get there.
Any help would be appreciated.

Do a
jump attack (forward +strong attack) on the body. It'll pop up onto its legs - after that, just jump below.

Badgerst3

I continue to struggle with a lack of humanity. I cant kindle fires to 10 health flasks or summon npcs.

Just not finding it/getting it. I am close to the
gargoyles and the undead church
and want to use a npc for the boss fight, i just have no humanity.

I even summoned myself to anothers world and helped fight a bit before dying thinking that may get me a humanity point. No such luck.

kinda frustrated. ideas?

1stStrike

Banned
Badgerst3 said:
I continue to struggle with a lack of humanity. I cant kindle fires to 10 health flasks or summon npcs.

I even summoned myself to anothers world and helped fight a bit before dying thinking that may get me a humanity point. No such luck.

kinda frustrated. ideas?

Help someone fight and defeat the gargoyle boss. You'll be awarded with 12,500 souls and 1 point of humanity. They must defeat the area boss and you must not die along the way.

mujun

Badgerst3 said:

kinda frustrated. ideas?

Yep, it sucks. From should fix it. When you hit the depths you can farm it with rats but even then (and even with a ring that helps) I am lucky to get more than 2 or 3 an hour.

Badgerst3

1stStrike said:
Help someone fight and defeat the gargoyle boss. You'll be awarded with 12,500 souls and 1 point of humanity. They must defeat the area boss and you must not die along the way.

Thx will try.

After the gargoyle battle-how do I exit back to my world with my new humanity point?

Last time I was summoned, I just kept fighting till i died and was sent back to my world.

Won't want to lose a newly aquifer humanity point.

Aaron

Badgerst3 said:
Thx will try.

After the gargoyle battle-how do I exit back to my world with my new humanity point?

Last time I was summoned, I just kept fighting till i died and was sent back to my world.

You are sent back after the boss dies.

I really don't think people need to worry about humanity early in the game. When you hit the Depths is about when it starts to matter anyway. I supplemented myself with healing spells before I could kindle. I was more than fine for the first 15 hours.

1stStrike

Banned
Badgerst3 said:
Thx will try.

You don't get anything unless the boss is actually killed at the end, so this means that you need to not fuck up and die. It sounds like you have a lot to learn about this game and how to play your character, so doing some coop battles should hopefully help with that as there's no risk to them for you.

Aaron said:
You are sent back after the boss dies.

I really don't think people need to worry about humanity early in the game. When you hit the Depths is about when it starts to matter anyway. I supplemented myself with healing spells before I could kindle. I was more than fine for the first 15 hours.

A lot of people need to be human for just the gargoyle fight so they can summon
Solaris
or a friend as that's a pretty difficult fight - actually, the most difficult fight - for that early in the game, and for quite a while afterward.

After that, yeah, it's not important until later.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Been trying to get weapon help in OT, but my posts tend to get ignored. So reposting:

Are regular upgraded weapons eventually better than unique weapons? I have Zweihander that I'm upgrading (currently at +7), but I can also upgrade my Black Knight Sword. Which one should I stick with?

1stStrike

Banned
ProudClod said:
Been trying to get weapon help in OT, but my posts tend to get ignored. So reposting:

Are regular upgraded weapons eventually better than unique weapons? I have Zweihander that I'm upgrading (currently at +7), but I can also upgrade my Black Knight Sword. Which one should I stick with?

Amazingly, I just replied you in OT.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, I happened upon a Firekeeper soul today while taking a leisurely jog. What are these used for?

mujun said:
Yep, it sucks. From should fix it. When you hit the depths you can farm it with rats but even then (and even with a ring that helps) I am lucky to get more than 2 or 3 an hour.
2-3 an HOUR? I've been playing for like 6 hours, and I've only ever gotten a total of like, 6 humanity. I have a couple humanity items, but that's it.

1stStrike

Banned
thetrin said:
So, I happened upon a Firekeeper soul today while taking a leisurely jog. What are these used for?

Boosts up how much your flask heals you. Turn it into a firekeeper. Do NOT use it from your inventory.

thetrin said:

Upgrading your Estus Flask. Give it the lady behind bars down the stairs near the Firelink bonfire.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Baloonatic said:
Upgrading your Estus Flask. Give it the lady behind bars down the stairs near the Firelink bonfire.
Great!

...how the fuck do I get back there?

I just got to the second bonfire, near the very first Blacksmith you meet. Don't tell me I have to trek all the fucking way back.

mujun

1stStrike said:
Boosts up how much your flask heals you. Turn it into a firekeeper. Do NOT use it from your inventory.

I'll ask you directly because I've gotten no love on the previous two attempts.

What do I do with the Right of Kindling?

thetrin said:
Great!

...how the fuck do I get back there?

I just got to the second bonfire, near the very first Blacksmith you meet. Don't tell me I have to trek all the fucking way back.

to the left of where you found that soul (on the altar in the church), there's a set of elevators. They take you right back to firelink shrine.

--

Isn't the rite of kindling just something that lets your kindle a fire more than once? IE -- to level 3 or 4 so you get 15 or 20 flasks off it?

1stStrike

Banned
mujun said:
I'll ask you directly because I've gotten no love on the previous two attempts.

What do I do with the Right of Kindling?

It lets you kindle a fire up to 20 flasks beyond the original 10 flask limit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
corrosivefrost said:
Isn't the rite of kindling just something that lets your kindle a fire more than once? IE -- to level 3 or 4 so you get 15 or 20 flasks off it?

Yup.

thetrin

corrosivefrost said:
to the left of where you found that soul (on the altar in the church), there's a set of elevators. They take you right back to firelink shrine.
SHIT! That is awesome. Thanks a lot. I didn't realize that. I was getting sniped from above, and ran out of the church before I died. Never got a good look at what the church had to offer.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
1stStrike said:
Amazingly, I just replied you in OT.

Thanks man. That was helpful. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, if I want to have the best DPS weapon in the game for a STR/DEX build, what should I be working towards?

mujun

1stStrike said:
It lets you kindle a fire up to 20 flasks beyond the original 10 flask limit.

So I just keep it in my inventory and then put more humanity into the bonfire of my choosing? Can you do it at Firelink?

1stStrike

Banned
ProudClod said:
Thanks man. That was helpful. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, if I want to have the best DPS weapon in the game for a STR/DEX build, what should I be working towards?

At lower levels, an elemental weapon. Fire or lightning, hands down. Fire at +10 does some fantastic damage, but a +5 lightning weapon is also killer. As you level up, they don't scale though, so they become less useful (I'm talking like very high in levels - I'm level 130 right now and they're still fantastic).

It sounds like you're not going to be using a lot of Great weapons, so I'd recommend going for Queelag's Furysword, or a +10 Fire Scimitar. Either/or would serve you well. The bonus to going with fire is that you don't need to worry about needing 10 humanity at all times to get the full amount of damage out of it. I ran tests earlier and my Fire Server actually did more damage anyway. The Server is a Fantastic sword if you make it fire and +10 - I highly recommend it.

mujun said:
So I just keep it in my inventory and then put more humanity into the bonfire of my choosing? Can you do it at Firelink?

Yeah, just kindle fires whenever you have spare humanity. It stacks up to 20 and the same fires will still be kindled on your next play through - including Firelink.

Speevy

Banned
I know I'm gonna regret asking this based on all the horror stories, but where is
Blighttown?
I have its key now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Dear GAF :

I have a garbage STR build and gear that doesn't suit my playstyle because all of my weapons are slow/slower ( trying to not die .... ).

I have lots of weapons, rare and the like, yet tragically my "best" weapon seem to be a run of the mill great axe +10.

I have and can wield Snoughs hammer, "Havels Weapon", things like that, but even with my almost 50 str swinging these takes about 5 minutes per swing and opens me up for 10 counterattacks before I regain my composure.

Any idea?

maomaoIYP

Anyone knows at what stat level does it stop contributing per point increase to weapon damage?

I'm using the bandit's knife, which has dex boost at B. My dex is about 45, and roughly from 40 onwards I stopped getting a damage increase to my weapon with every point into dex. Instead it more or less plateaued off into a point of damage per 2 points of dex.

I'm asking because I want to consider end game options. A weapon that gives a stat boost stops being useful like this, I might as well ascend it into a lightning or fire version, and spend all those extra stat points into something else.

Edit: Found my answer on page 17. Duckroll asked the exact same thing. If the info is true, then I guess the developers intended players to make more balanced characters stat-wise instead of the old Demon Souls standard of plugging everything into a single stat.

maomaoIYP

Speevy said:
I know I'm gonna regret asking this based on all the horror stories, but where is
Blighttown?
I have its key now.

It's right next to the dude selling you stuff right before you went to fight the boss that dropped you the key.

It's not that bad a section, it's no where as hard as area 5 in Demon Souls

1stStrike

Banned
Corky said:
Dear GAF :

I have a garbage STR build and gear that doesn't suit my playstyle because all of my weapons are slow/slower ( trying to not die .... ).

I have lots of weapons, rare and the like, yet tragically my "best" weapon seem to be a run of the mill great axe +10.

I have and can wield Snoughs hammer, "Havels Weapon", things like that, but even with my almost 50 str swinging these takes about 5 minutes per swing and opens me up for 10 counterattacks before I regain my composure.

Any idea?

You need to be patient and time all your swings for when your opponent misses or is staggered. Try using backstabs, or a lighter shield and parry. A riposte or backstab from one of the Great weapons will do some pretty crazy damage.

If anything, the larger weapons require greater tactics and more thinking ahead. You need to be quick, as you always have that delay - which is pretty similar to that of a mage using a powerful spell. It's all about timing.

For times when larger weapons aren't practical, make a +10 Fire weapon or a +5 lightning weapon. They don't scale based off your stats and should get you through the game quite well, as both are very powerful.

Sorry people but I have yet another question... which do you think would be a good place to farm souls (to heal my curse) in Undead Burg, Parish or Lower Undead Burg?

I'm thinking Undead Parish, in the area before the gargoyles, but I'm not sure. I can also access the Depths and Darkroot Garden, but... not confident enough :p

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Risk Breaker said:
Sorry people but I have yet another question... which do you think would be a good place to farm souls (to heal my curse) in Undead Burg, Parish or Lower Undead Burg?

I'm thinking Undead Parish, in the area before the gargoyles, but I'm not sure. I can also access the Depths and Darkroot Garden, but... not confident enough :p

If you go to Darkroot Garden, just grind there to get 20,000 souls to unlock the gate in the woods there. Here you can trick a few enemies in here and get 7,000 souls per minute, and they're right next to the bonfire so you can repeat this and grind about 50,000 souls in no time quickly. I did this to get ot level 60 from 23 in less than 2 hours

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
1stStrike said:
At lower levels, an elemental weapon. Fire or lightning, hands down. Fire at +10 does some fantastic damage, but a +5 lightning weapon is also killer. As you level up, they don't scale though, so they become less useful (I'm talking like very high in levels - I'm level 130 right now and they're still fantastic).

It sounds like you're not going to be using a lot of Great weapons, so I'd recommend going for Queelag's Furysword, or a +10 Fire Scimitar. Either/or would serve you well. The bonus to going with fire is that you don't need to worry about needing 10 humanity at all times to get the full amount of damage out of it. I ran tests earlier and my Fire Server actually did more damage anyway. The Server is a Fantastic sword if you make it fire and +10 - I highly recommend it.

Yeah, just kindle fires whenever you have spare humanity. It stacks up to 20 and the same fires will still be kindled on your next play through - including Firelink.

Awesome :) Where can I upgrade to fire? I have the ember, but I just don't know where the blacksmith is. I'm assuming he's in Anor Londo... if so, how do I get there?

1stStrike

Banned
ProudClod said:
Awesome :) Where can I upgrade to fire? I have the ember, but I just don't know where the blacksmith is. I'm assuming he's in Anor Londo... if so, how do I get there?

He's in the catacombs after a dead end spiraling stairway. You'll need to drop down to some platforms in order to get to him. Expect to die your first time or 5 trying :)

glaurung

I am not very far into the game, just rang the first bell in the tower and now I am looking around the Darkroot areas (which are horrible with their undead metal colossi and asshole black knights that stab me so hurtily).

I am using a +2 Spear and I was wondering when I would be able to get my hands on something a bit more fancy? The dwarf smith next to the cathedral sells something called a Pike, is that worth the upgrade?

Ashkeloth

From my limited experience with Strength based characters, the Pike has basically the same stat scaling as the spear, but requires 24 STR. On the bright side, it has disgustingly long range. I managed to kill Havel and get his awesome ring from the Watchtower Basementwithout ever being touched when I was way underleveled and he'd kill me in one hit.

Generally, like the last souls game, you can get good equipment if you know where it is and are good at running away.

If you have any more info on your current/intended build, I could give more specific advice as to what weapons/areas you should be gunning for.

I have a question for Souls-GAF, now.

Is there any faster way to get back to the
Four Kings
boss fight in The Abyss? I've been there once and died, and now I take the route through the Valley of Drakes, through the big door that I opened, then up the ramp, through the building, etc. etc. until I reach the boss fight, but the path is littered with black knights and drakes. I usually die if I try sprinting back there, but methodically killing drakes and black knights for 10 minutes makes retrying this boss a pain to say the least.

Natiko

Banned
Anyone know if the ice golems in Darkroot Basin (I think that's the area name) actually drop blue titanite chunks? I'd like to get my enchanted weapon up another rank before moving on to the next area.

Aaron

Natiko said:
Anyone know if the ice golems in Darkroot Basin (I think that's the area name) actually drop blue titanite chunks? I'd like to get my enchanted weapon up another rank before moving on to the next area.
They do, though it's somewhat rare.

Ashkeloth

I'm pretty sure I've had a couple of pieces of Blue Titanite drop from them on occasion, but it seems to be very scarce when I consider the amount of times that I have ran through that area and had to kill all four of them.

The wiki says they apparently do as well.

Ashkeloth said:
From my limited experience with Strength based characters, the Pike has basically the same stat scaling as the spear, but requires 24 STR. On the bright side, it has disgustingly long range. I managed to kill Havel and get his awesome ring from the Watchtower Basementwithout ever being touched when I was way underleveled and he'd kill me in one hit.

Generally, like the last souls game, you can get good equipment if you know where it is and are good at running away.

If you have any more info on your current/intended build, I could give more specific advice as to what weapons/areas you should be gunning for.

I have a question for Souls-GAF, now.

Is there any faster way to get back to the
Four Kings
boss fight in The Abyss? I've been there once and died, and now I take the route through the Valley of Drakes, through the big door that I opened, then up the ramp, through the building, etc. etc. until I reach the boss fight, but the path is littered with black knights and drakes. I usually die if I try sprinting back there, but methodically killing drakes and black knights for 10 minutes makes retrying this boss a pain to say the least.

Going via the Londo Ruins is much much faster. Try it

Top Bottom