• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

test_account

XP-39C²
johntown said:
It is difficult to explain but run a little bit on it (you will get hit once) and the dragon will kill off all the soliders. Once they are gone for some reason you can make it to the middle before he toast you. Once you get to the middle there are stairs to the right which you need to go down.

EDIT: Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFCLla8tQ6k
Yeah, i just made it back to take enough cover without dying, thanks for the video regardless :) I tried to run back earlier, but then i didnt make it. I have upgraded my Endurance since i've tried, so maybe i run a bit faster now. Or maybe i was simply too slow with the timing earlier hehe. But now i got further in the game anyway :D

kodt

Banned
electricpirate said:
Also, what
nest
do I drop stuff in to do the trades? the one that takes me
back to the asylum
or something else?

You have to go back to the asylum first, there is a little nest in the outdoor part (near the end of the asylum are) out on a ledge to the right. The bird? in the nest will start talking to you when you get close.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Location advice :

I have 2 out of the 4 (?) now. Which should be my next goto place.

Demon Ruins
or
New Londo
?

It's a choice between two horrible things.

Either : Have
Bosses
as regular ass mobs, or have
infinite clipping ghosts, that I can't attack because I'm out of that transient curse item

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Patryn said:
So, uh.... Stray Demon? Advice?
never be in front. attack from behind. when he slams down his weapon the AOE will hit you behind him too so keep a good distance and go in for some hits in between. letting him wreck the pillars might be a good idea to give you a bigger space to move around in.

Kyoufu

Patryn said:
So, uh.... Stray Demon? Advice?

Hit it's ass, avoid the fire AoE. I think it still hits you even if you're buttsecksing it so just keep an eye on it and back off when appropriate.

johntown

Banned
electricpirate said:
Doing some PVP the other day, once I get invaded in the
inner darkroot garden
how can I leave the area? After getting invaded 3 times (and winning! *flex*), I went back to the door and found it fogged, and I couldn't get through. I ended up having to homebone to get out of there.
Don't go there alive unless you are up for almost endless PVP battles. That area is part of the forest hunter covenant and unless you are a part of it you will be invaded constantly.

electricpirate said:
Doing some PVP the other day, once I get invaded in the
inner darkroot garden
how can I leave the area? After getting invaded 3 times (and winning! *flex*), I went back to the door and found it fogged, and I couldn't get through. I ended up having to homebone to get out of there.
If the door was still fogged over it might have been trying to connect you to someone else for another invasion.

Are there any particularly useful trades with the bird?

Pkm said:
If you havent already..Go buy the seal to unlock the door in Dark Woods. Right inside he door is the soul farming spot. Will cost you 20k souls to buy the seal but you will make them back in 10minutes of just kiting.

Even if your like me and are against power level off this spot at least then you can churn out about 15k souls every 10minutes so you can buy anything you need really fast.

Ugh, I did it and I found
a bandit that spams Soul Arrow (does quite a bit of damage to me, I only do 18 with my soul arrow) and a knight with Ring of Fog.
I guess there's an easy way to kill both but for now I'm going to resupply on arrows...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Is there a single item that lets you cast multiple schools of magic? If so, how far into the game? 3/4 slots filled with wands makes going hardcore caster pretty unappealing.

BarrenMind said:
So I'm a level 29 Thief using a Longsword + 7 and a Hollow Shield or something. I'm playing it wrong aren't I?

I picked Thief because I didn't know at the time that the Master Key was a gift that any class could choose. Not sure at this point that I can play a true thief because I don't have a lot of confidence in my parrying ability. I've thought about upgrading my Bandit Knife and using it as an offhand weapon maybe.

How do others like to play this class?

I have a Wanderer but sounds like we have similar dexterity builds. Try using the Estoc. Long range, thrust and slash attacks, the jumping lunge is extremely useful, and best of all you can attack with your shield up.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sir Garbageman said:
Yea I'm in the same point. I've gotten my STR up to 24 but soon realized I don't enjoy using all the big weapons. Fortunately I've been going with the Halberd and loving it so far and just plan on switching it over to an elemental weapon so the scaling doesn't matter.

Sadly I was/am too deeply invested in my STR build. I have 50 str now and I feel even weaker than I was early in the game :p, not much left though, next time I'm going 20 in everything...

Gattsu25

Banned
Clear said:
Mildred is... variable. First time on the boss I summoned her and she effortlessly ground it down to the extent I thought she realistically was going to be able to solo it. Feeling a bit guilty about cheesing the fight I went 2h and jumped in... only to eat a blast wave to the face and get 1-shotted...

Next 4 attempts Quelaag smeared her, real quick. So don't expect her always to do so well.

Problem was I'd spent so long in Blighttown I ran out of arrows and then humanity, and ended up having to abort via climbing out through New Londo Ruins.

Quite a trip!

Although it was pretty much a failure as a run, I learned so much about navigating the swamp I have no qualms about going back in. If you have a fast moving character you can pretty much roll point-to-point ignoring everything. At one point I went back up to the first bonfire and came back down training every mob in the area and got to the bonfire nearest Quelaag's without getting touched.
If you head back to the starting A
sylum area and then head back to the room that you started the entire game in
you will find a ring that allows you to run at full speed in the mud.

That makes the area a dream.

johntown said:
Don't go there alive unless you are up for almost endless PVP battles. That area is part of the forest hunter covenant and unless you are a part of it you will be invaded constantly.

Heh that was why I went :). I wanted the quickest way to try out PVP. ( I liked it! Didn't run into cheesy tactics though...)

I was just out of spells and estus, and I needed to quit before going to work, but couldn't escape.

If I do that I'll make sure to keep a Homebone handy.

If the door was still fogged over it might have been trying to connect you to someone else for another invasion.

Hmm possibly, I wasn't getting an invaded message, maybe the connection starts happening before message appears.

so I don't know if this has been really discussed or not here, but I'm just starting out and don't know how I should be levelling my character (only about SL 6). I made a warrior and boosted strength and vitality, should I be going for an even spread or be focusing in on two or three stats? I saw Corky's post and thought I'd dovetail on that.

Also, how are new weapons and armor doled out? Is it all a matter of crafting, or do I start getting decent upgrades out in the world?

NEO0MJ

I need help figuring out where to go next.

I just rang the first bell. I went to New Londo but the ghosts keep killing me. Is that the right path or am I supposed to go somewhere else?

1stStrike said:
Help someone fight and defeat the gargoyle boss. You'll be awarded with 12,500 souls and 1 point of humanity. They must defeat the area boss and you must not die along the way.

12.5k? Is there a list of how many souls you get for helping against other bosses? I'm confident against most of them and I wouldn't mind getting some souls. I've cleared up to Gaping Demon.

BarrenMind said:
So I'm a level 29 Thief using a Longsword + 7 and a Hollow Shield or something. I'm playing it wrong aren't I?

I picked Thief because I didn't know at the time that the Master Key was a gift that any class could choose. Not sure at this point that I can play a true thief because I don't have a lot of confidence in my parrying ability. I've thought about upgrading my Bandit Knife and using it as an offhand weapon maybe.

How do others like to play this class?

Thief is one of the best starting classes (low SL start) and also very powerful with a headstart for DEX build. Use the Grass Crest Shield for thief since stamina regen is pretty important for all the rolling around and swinging you’ll be doing. If you don’t parry often, don’t use the hornet ring it’ll just be a wasted space. Bandit Knife is great and has a badass bleed critical but range sucks, so as soon as you get Iaito or Uchigatana go for one of those and upgrade one of them to lightning later on – upgrade the other one to +15 regular (I did Uchi+15Reg and Iaito+5Lightning). Also get a bow and stock up on arrows (cheap ones work) since you’ll be fragile, you’ll likely be in a position to cheesekill most encounters. I used Bandit Knife for a long time, it’s a very underrated weapon and with upgrades it is a serious boss killer (ie. Gaping Drg. and Stray Dmn. got worked by my Bandit+10). Good luck!

Risk Breaker said:
Ugh, I did it and I found
a bandit that spams Soul Arrow (does quite a bit of damage to me, I only do 18 with my soul arrow) and a knight with Ring of Fog.
I guess there's an easy way to kill both but for now I'm going to resupply on arrows...

You can always exploit the pathing glitch, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

When I farm the area, I try to fight it out, but at one point I had 3 invis NPCs and 3 standard ones going after me, I gave up and let them go straight lemming. Only one invis NPC respawns, the others stay dead.

NEO0MJ said:
I need help figuring out where to go next.

I just rang the first bell. I went to New Londo but the ghosts keep killing me. Is that the right path or am I supposed to go somewhere else?

Nah man, not yet it's too hard, try this -
Darkroot Forest, kill butterfly boss, get key, unlock tower door near first minotaur boss in Burg, descend into lower Burg, defeat boss there, get access to depths, etc. Second bell is about 3 dungeons below the Burg and don't forget to bring curse healing items (about 4 should work).
Good luck!

orion434

rayner said:
How can you defeat Pharis without making him fall off a cliff? Last night I tried to lure him out but he'd always go back to shooting Arrows right near the cliff. I'd go back to the Bonfire and try for another bait... but he just won't bite. Then I thought... maybe he won't fall off the cliff? No 2nd swing made him fall to his death and I was out a chance of his Bow-drop. I want that dam bow!

Anyone? I really want the bow.

prodystopian said:
12.5k? Is there a list of how many souls you get for helping against other bosses? I'm confident against most of them and I wouldn't mind getting some souls. I've cleared up to Gaping Demon.

Keep in mind, you can only be summoned by similarly leveled players. If you just beat the Gaping demon, try dropping a sign by the bonfire. Seems most people hit that area around ~25, so if you're lower than that, go back to the gargoyles or capra demon. If you are higher than that might you want to head somewhere else to put your sign down.

Interfectum

we.are.the.armada said:
Even if he falls off the cliff, you can just quit to the title screen and reload your file and the treasure will be near the cliff where he fell off.

from what ive read, reload before you go back to the bonfire or you're screwed.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Interfectum said:
from what ive read, reload before you go back to the bonfire or you're screwed.

Dammit, wish I read this half an hour ago. Dumbass Havel fell off the stairs so I lost his ring.

I have Defeated:

Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyle
Moonlight Butterfly
Hydra
Capra Demon
Gaping Dragon
Quelaag
Great Wolf Sif
Iron Golem
Ornstein and Smough
Stray Demon
Pinwheel

And I'm currently fighting
The Four Kings

How far am I from the end of the game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Felix Lighter said:
I have Defeated:

Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyle
Moonlight Butterfly
Hydra
Capra Demon
Gaping Dragon
Quelaag
Great Wolf Sif
Iron Golem
Ornstein and Smough
Stray Demon
Pinwheel

And I'm currently fighting
The Four Kings

How far am I from the end of the game?
Very, very little.

Orayn

prodystopian said:
Is there a reason to go in Blighttown the back way if I'm trying to get to the boss or should I enter from the Depths?
It could save you a large amount of deadly low-FPS misery. Then again, there are some good items to be acquired in Blighttown.

orion434

we.are.the.armada said:
Even if he falls off the cliff, you can just quit to the title screen and reload your file and the treasure will be near the cliff where he fell off.

Thanx, will use that for future reference, too late now I've gone back to the bonfire :(

1stStrike

Banned
electricpirate said:
Combustion is excellent, it's like a melee fire attack, it's become one of my staple attacks, as it does about 3x my physical damage (Glove is at +9, plus the sorc ring), it's fast and you don't lose any stamina for it.

After that, the iron skin spell is awesome, I used it to just tank the
bear cats

Then bust out more fireballs and fire orb. Sweat is pretty situational, I haven't fought a fire enemy since I bought it.

Agreed - whether you're wearing paper thing armor, or the beefiest armor in the game, you'll still take quite a bit of damage. However, put on iron skin and you can just two hand your weapon and wail on a boss while taking very little damage. I used it on the final boss in the game, and there's also several other bosses where it's extremely handy.

It's not recommended for high mobility fights, as you can only walk while it's active, but if you have a strong 2 hander and a boss that doesn't move much - that's a safe bet and can make winning the fight a lot easier.

Also, make sure you change your equipment for each boss fight in order to maximize your resists, defense, and attacks so that you're not getting owned and are actually doing damage to them.

My rule of thumb is that I always have one elemental weapon and one regular physical weapon equipped so that if the elemental weapon isn't doing much, I can switch.

Big Icarus said:
Where do I go in
Anor Londo
after I beat the
Gargoyle
? I can't find a path further on.

I'm guessing your right at the part where you took the elevator down? If so look to your left and you should see a church and also some stairs that give away which way to go. Essentially you have to walk up the narrow path to the top of the building and jump onto the balcony.

prodystopian said:
Is there a reason to go in Blighttown the back way if I'm trying to get to the boss or should I enter from the Depths?

In terms of things you can miss, one of the best
DEX build weapons and some nice armor
are along the path from the Depths entrance as opposed to the Valley of Drakes entrance.

Anyone trying to beat Gaping demon? I'm SL 31 and trying to get summoned.

we.are.the.armada said:
In terms of things you can miss, one of the best
DEX build weapons and some nice armor
are along the path from the Depths entrance as opposed to the Valley of Drakes entrance.

Thanks, I'm trying that way instead now.

Grisby

Hey guys, question about Blighttown pathways and general geography. Over by
Queelags lair I found the waterwheel elevator but theres nothing at the top but some fire dogs and blow dart dudes. Is there any exit up there? Also, I know of only two roads I can go, to the great hollow or the demon ruins. There's no way to go back up to Blighttown proper from the swampy area right?

Also where is that iron skin spell? Sounds handy.

D_N_G

Grisby said:
Queelags lair I found the waterwheel elevator but theres nothing at the top but some fire dogs and blow dart dudes. Is there any exit up there? Also, I know of only two roads I can go, to the great hollow or the demon ruins. There's no way to go back up to Blighttown proper from the swampy area right?

from the waterwheel, there should be 3 levels/ladders that you can climb. the 3rd level has a chest with a key on the right (get the key first) and a tunnel with 3 fatties to the left. after the tunnel is a shortcut between the valley of drake and the londo ruins. the key you just picked up will open the gate for the shortcut.

edit:
you should be able to get back to blighttown by climbing up the ladders on the wooden walkways that are to the left of the great hollow. i think, :) havent actually gone back that way

Grisby

D_N_G said:
from the waterwheel, there should be 3 levels/ladders that you can climb. the 3rd level has a chest with a key (get the key first) and a tunnel with 3 fatties. after the tunnel is a shortcut between the valley of drake and the londo ruins. the key you just picked up will open the gate for the shortcut.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Deadstar

What do you guys recommend for a weapon that will be upgraded with green titanite (Divine)? I intended to use my halberd but last night I was in blight town and I could NOT hit those flying insects. None of my attacks would connect and I would just get hit over and over again. It was extremely frustrating.

So I think I might have to abandon that thought as I'm only going to be carrying one weapon. I have a shield and miracle cast item in one hand and a weapon and the pyromancer flame in the other. I don't really care for the spears so I'm thinking some type of sword, but my strength is not too high at the moment. I think it's around 18. I'm trying to get more attunement slots and then I'll be focusing on faith to increase the power of my weapon and miracles so I don't want a weapon that requires a super high amount of strength to wield.

Grisby said:

There is a
fire keeper soul past the blow dart guys
that you really don't want to miss. Explore that whole area, there are a few items to get.

Deadstar said:
What do you guys recommend for a weapon that will be upgraded with green titanite (Divine)? I intended to use my halberd but last night I was in blight town and I could NOT hit those flying insects. None of my attacks would connect and I would just get hit over and over again. It was extremely frustrating.

Try the whip that you get earlier in blight town. It's perfect for the mosquitos but don't let them too close because it'll be inside the range of the whip.

A bow is even better, but I'm guessing you're not using one?

DTKT

Hey everyone

Friend of mine convinced me to try the game. I was thinking about starting as a Knight with the Masterkey gift. How does that sound in terms of "easy"?

1stStrike

Banned
DTKT said:
Hey everyone

Friend of mine convinced me to try the game. I was thinking about starting as a Knight with the Masterkey gift. How does that sound in terms of "easy"?

The master key will get you killed more than anything in the beginning of the game, and none of the classes are easy to begin with. I suppose maybe the easiest class would be the pyromancer...

This is a hardcore game, though. There is no easy.

1stStrike said:
Agreed - whether you're wearing paper thing armor, or the beefiest armor in the game, you'll still take quite a bit of damage. However, put on iron skin and you can just two hand your weapon and wail on a boss while taking very little damage. I used it on the final boss in the game, and there's also several other bosses where it's extremely handy.

It's not recommended for high mobility fights, as you can only walk while it's active, but if you have a strong 2 hander and a boss that doesn't move much - that's a safe bet and can make winning the fight a lot easier.

Also, make sure you change your equipment for each boss fight in order to maximize your resists, defense, and attacks so that you're not getting owned and are actually doing damage to them.

My rule of thumb is that I always have one elemental weapon and one regular physical weapon equipped so that if the elemental weapon isn't doing much, I can switch.

The Great Chaos Fireball you get from joining the Chaos Servant Covenant owns.

Top Bottom