• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

1stStrike said:
Agreed - whether you're wearing paper thing armor, or the beefiest armor in the game, you'll still take quite a bit of damage. However, put on iron skin and you can just two hand your weapon and wail on a boss while taking very little damage. I used it on the final boss in the game, and there's also several other bosses where it's extremely handy.

It's not recommended for high mobility fights, as you can only walk while it's active, but if you have a strong 2 hander and a boss that doesn't move much - that's a safe bet and can make winning the fight a lot easier.

Also, make sure you change your equipment for each boss fight in order to maximize your resists, defense, and attacks so that you're not getting owned and are actually doing damage to them.

My rule of thumb is that I always have one elemental weapon and one regular physical weapon equipped so that if the elemental weapon isn't doing much, I can switch.

Yup, I tried it out on your/Duckrolls advice.

Long live the tankromancer!

DTKT said:
Hey everyone

Friend of mine convinced me to try the game. I was thinking about starting as a Knight with the Masterkey gift. How does that sound in terms of "easy"?

Masterkey is for more advanced players that want to hit Blighttown and Drakes early - I'd avoid it and instead get twin humanities (only use it at the bonfire though, don't walk around early in the game with used humanity) and kindle your fire for more estus.

razgriz417 said:
haha but for me i'd rather take em out when they're a tad further away :)

Definitely agree there, that's what a bow is for. Just saying, throwing knives are nice, but those damn mosquitoes literally don't quit. Could get expensive buying that many throwing knives.

Deadstar

Interesting ideas, thanks guys. I think then what I might do is stick with the halberd then try the whip or throwing knives. I don't have the whip yet, I need to farm a bit to get enough souls to buy all the new pyromancies in blight town. Right now I'm working on upping my humanity and I was going to farm the worms to get green titanite.

I'm not sure how much humanity I need but I was helping people beat the boss in that area to increase it.

Deadstar said:
Interesting ideas, thanks guys. I think then what I might do is stick with the halberd then try the whip or throwing knives. I don't have the whip yet, I need to farm a bit to get enough souls to buy all the new pyromancies in blight town. Right now I'm working on upping my humanity and I was going to farm the worms to get green titanite.

I'm not sure how much humanity I need but I was helping people beat the boss in that area to increase it.

The ring that increases item drop chance is an equivalent to 10 humanity so farming is helped out quite a bit with it on. If you are looking for it, it's located in
Sen's Fortress, beyond the iron ball trap, you'll need to cause the iron balls to fill a well at the bottom of the pathway and cause a ball to break through a wall, leading to the ring.

walbertsmith said:
Definitely agree there, that's what a bow is for. Just saying, throwing knives are nice, but those damn mosquitoes literally don't quit. Could get expensive buying that many throwing knives.

True what I've noticed that when I get summoned to hep with the boss, they never stop respawning, you take it down and it gets back up, best to just run lol

Deadstar said:

If you're just farming greens you shouldn't run into too many of them. Make sure you have the rusty ring from the aslyum, it negates the slow effect of the swamp :)

O and having the homeward spell (if you have 18 faith) makes it go real quick, you don't even have to heal afterward, it sends you back to the bonfire, all spells/flasks recharged and heals/cures you of anything.

Deadstar said:

The whip is in blight town in that tower-ish area. You have to get to the upper part inside the green tower then drop down to the level of the treasure; it's not obvious if you're not looking for it.

The whip in general is a pretty crappy weapon, but it's basically perfect for the damn mosquitos.

Patryn

walbertsmith said:
The whip is in blight town in that tower-ish area. You have to get to the upper part inside the green tower then drop down to the level of the treasure; it's not obvious if you're not looking for it.

The whip in general is a pretty crappy weapon, but it's basically perfect for the damn mosquitos.

I use combustion for the mosquitoes. Does a really nice job hitting multiple levels and wiping them out.

The katanas are decent against mosquitos as well (not great, though).

I'm looking for the boss in Blighttown and just went down that way where the whip is. Am I going the right direction?

prodystopian said:

I'm looking for the boss in Blighttown and just went down that way where the whip is. Am I going the right direction?

Yes you are... once you get to the bottom swamp area, hug the wall to the right until you reach the bonfire. It can be easy to miss, and it seems like a lot of people do.

prodystopian said:

Yeah, you're in the right direction, you'll see an interesting "mound" soon and you'll know what to do.

MedIC86

I just looted a thief leather set and a sorcerer set, im a pyromancer...any recommendations? when i compared stats it just that the thief set is better only heavier? or is there something im missing.

O one other awesome alternative to the mosquito problem
Dragon's breath
can one shot them and you look awesome doing it :D

MedIC86 said:
I just looted a thief leather set and a sorcerer set, im a pyromancer...any recommendations? when i compared stats it just that the thief set is better only heavier? or is there something im missing.

It's up to you, I started as a bandit and piecemealed together different items. It depends on your Endurance though, I tried to get the most protection that kept me under 25% weight or maybe 50% weight. I know the thief boots are 3.0 lbs and are a really good piece of gear stats wise, used it for a long time. Also, it depends on the situation, I'd keep multiple sets, one that good with poison, fire, etc.

Noaloha

Am I underlevelled for Blighttown? I'm SL23 and I went in there from Depths, cheese-arrowed a few fat looking club-wielding dudes, then attempted to melee one of them. He hit me with a couple of strikes against my +6 Hollow Soldier Shield and my stamina bar was largely gone. Backstepped, realised I was on a stupidly narrow precarious platform, raised my shield again as he closed in on me, then he swung at me with an overhead attack and one-shotted me. I'd not remembered to set Bonfire in the Depths on my way down so I ended up back in Undead Burg and thought, "hm, fuck, not in the mood to run back there right now" and went in search of the Burg Tower Basement since I'd just picked up the key from Flappy Fairy earlier (Havel went down, awyeah!).

Wondfering if I'm in the mood to head back to Blight right now.

vhfive

So I finished Blight Town (worst place in the game by far) and it looks like that asshole knight
killed the fire keeper
. How do I use the item that was there?

Deadstar

Toodles said:
Am I underlevelled for Blighttown? I'm SL23 and I went in there from Depths, cheese-arrowed a few fat looking club-wielding dudes, then attempted to melee one of them. He hit me with a couple of strikes against my +6 Hollow Soldier Shield and my stamina bar was largely gone. Backstepped, realised I was on a stupidly narrow precarious platform, raised my shield again as he closed in on me, then he swung at me with an overhead attack and one-shotted me. I'd not remembered to set Bonfire in the Depths on my way down so I ended up back in Undead Burg and thought, "hm, fuck, not in the mood to run back there right now" and went in search of the Burg Tower Basement since I'd just picked up the key from Flappy Fairy earlier (Havel went down, awyeah!).

Wondfering if I'm in the mood to head back to Blight right now.

I think I'm level 42 and I'm in Blight town. It's really not so bad when you get used to the enemies. At first I was terrified of the place but now I feel like I understand the enemies and the map.

Ashkeloth

vhfive said:
So I finished Blight Town (worst place in the game by far) and it looks like that asshole knight
killed the fire keeper
. How do I use the item that was there?

Right before the boss door in Anor Londo, the words "The black eye orb is trembling" or something to that extent will appear in big letters in the center of your screen, letting you know when you can get your revenge.

Fair warning: It's not an easy fight, but if you beat him before you beat the Anor Londo bosses, you'll get his armor as a reward from the floor above the boss room.

Edit: Oh, and whatever you do, do not use the
Fire Keeper's Soul
you get as a reward for beating him unless you
never want to use the bonfire at Firelink Shrine again Protip: You do.

Guevara

Deadstar said:
I think I'm level 42 and I'm in Blight town. It's really not so bad when you get used to the enemies. At first I was terrified of the place but now I feel like I understand the enemies and the map.
Yeah, I'm just rushing through killing the poison dart enemies first. It's confirmed that they
don't respawn after visiting a bonfire
, right?

Guevara

24FrameDaVinci said:
Anyone wanna help me with Capra demon? SL 18, I'm in front of his room, PS3 version.
I really wish I had stuck around Capra and helped on some fights. I'm level 40 something now, so I'd highly unlikely I'll every be able to coop with someone.

Guevara said:
I really wish I had stuck around Capra and helped on some fights. I'm level 40 something now, so I'd highly unlikely I'll every be able to coop with someone.
He just effs me up when I go in there to the point where I dread even trying. Need help.

Speevy

Banned
It's like the people who designed
Blighttown
thought that it was unfair to kill poisonous enemies with your sword, so they made them poison you anyway.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
ashley678 said:
which is better for Strength, Dexterity, Endurance and Faith build. going direct too +10 on a weapon or would faith be better
really want guidelines on what to do now

anyone able to help on this ?

54-46!

I'm in Blighttown at level 22, is this an okay level to venture further with or should I farm some souls and up some of my stats?

I recently lost 27k souls or so, I got pushed off a damn ledge by a generic enemy after beating the the Rat and Gaping Dragon..

Okay, I want to upgrade my scimitar to the Quelaag Fury Sword.

I've got my scimitar to +5 and for some reason it doesn't show up in 'modify weapon' or in 'reinforce weapon'. I know that I need to modify it with large titanite but it just doesn't show up. Do I need to go to a specific blacksmith to do it? I'm in Anor Londo if it helps.

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay, I want to upgrade my scimitar to the Quelaag Fury Sword.

I've got my scimitar to +5 and for some reason it doesn't show up in 'modify weapon' or in 'reinforce weapon'. I know that I need to modify it with large titanite but it just doesn't show up. Do I need to go to a specific blacksmith to do it? I'm in Anor Londo if it helps.
I think it needs to be +10.

vhfive

any tips on the 2 first snake dudes in sen's fortress. I can kill the snake guys 1v1 no problem but 1v2 is really annoying

edit:
nvm got them to come out one at a time

Deadstar

EasyMode said:
Yes, that's right. Thankfully.

You know, it's strange because I could swear I killed one of them, the one that is up above you at the first bonfire, but when I came back after dying he was back. Though I killed him again and haven't seen him since. I kind of like that certain enemies like these don't respawn. Becoming toxic basically meant death. Luckily I had the miracle homeward so before I am about to die I could teleport back.

54-46! said:
I'm in Blighttown at level 22, is this an okay level to venture further with or should I farm some souls and up some of my stats?

I recently lost 27k souls or so, I got pushed off a damn ledge by a generic enemy after beating the the Rat and Gaping Dragon..

its a bit low unless you are really good. i did it at level 60 and it wasnt so hard. you really need the spidershield tho and the ninja gear.

id get the 20K souls and open the crest door in the forrest and grind till ur about level 40 or so and take it.

vhfive said:
any tips on the 2 first snake dudes in sen's fortress. I can kill the snake guys 1v1 no problem but 1v2 is really annoying

edit:
nvm got them to come out one at a time
I lure them towards me and trigger the arrow trap. If all 3 arrows hit it kills one of them straight away.

54-46!

Phat Michael said:
its a bit low unless you are really good. i did it at level 60 and it wasnt so hard. you really need the spidershield tho and the ninja gear.

id get the 20K souls and open the crest door in the forrest and grind till ur about level 40 or so and take it.
How do I get back there? (other than running back through the Depths) I've got the item for the door.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
Anyone know how I can summon my friend or how he can summon me? We're the same level and we tried disconnecting and reconnecting over and over again, yet we could never see any summoning sign on the floor at all.

54-46! said:

Nah that's not too bad. Take ur time and equip poison resistance items and you'll be fine.

one85x

MarshMellow96 said:
I know it needs to be +10. The thing is it doesn't show up in either category for some reason, so I can't actually upgrade it past +5.
It might be blacksmith specific then. The one in Undead Parish will upgrade weapons to +10 if you've given him the Large Ember.

Deadstar

AtomHeart said:
Anyone know how I can summon my friend or how he can summon me? We're the same level and we tried disconnecting and reconnecting over and over again, yet we could never see any summoning sign on the floor at all.

Apparently every time you lay down a soul sign it's put on a different server. So put down your sign, wait 30 seconds, if you aren't summoned put another one down. Keep going until you get it working.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
reposting:

Is there a single item that lets you cast multiple schools of magic? If so, how far into the game? 3/4 slots filled with wands makes going hardcore caster pretty unappealing.

darkwing

Deadstar said:
Apparently every time you lay down a soul sign it's put on a different server. So put down your sign, wait 30 seconds, if you aren't summoned put another one down. Keep going until you get it working.

i don't know about this, sometimes I see summon signs from the same person, but it keeps on saying summoning failed, if they kept on putting it down, i shouldn't be seeing it again right?

one85x said:
It might be blacksmith specific then. The one in Undead Parish will upgrade weapons to +10 if you've given him the Large Ember.

So I've got the large ember. Should I give it to the blacksmith in Anor Londo?

tokkun

Is there any drawback to joining Covenants then leaving via the priest guy at the Church?

I'm not that big of a pyro guy, but is there any reason I shouldn't join the Chaos covenant just to get the spell, then immediately remove myself from the covenant?

1stStrike

Banned
tokkun said:
Is there any drawback to joining Covenants then leaving via the priest guy at the Church?

I'm not that big of a pyro guy, but is there any reason I shouldn't join the Chaos covenant just to get the spell, then immediately remove myself from the covenant?

No. Also, pro tip about the Chaos covenant:
Get it up to rank 1 and it unlocks a shortcut down to Lost Izalith, which you'll get to later. There's an elevator in the room right before it that'll activate.

Maaseru

Banned
So I beat the Iron Golem boss from Zen's Fortress by two handed throwing him of the site of the tower hahahah OMG it felt so damn awesome!

...So did I loose his soul?

ugh... priscilla somehow kept her tail... i had help from a guy with a giant axe too... :(
guess i'll have to deal with her during NG+...

--

Can someone enlighten me about warping between bonfires and if it's easy to do?

MarshMellow96 said:
So I've got the large ember. Should I give it to the blacksmith in Anor Londo?
Give it to the Parish one. Then go to modify weapon and you should see the +6 option. After THAT go back to reinforce to continue to +10.

Few covenant questions:

I'm in the Forest one because I stumbled upon the cat and just said yes to everything. What am I not allowed to kill? I ran around in the forest and got attacked by a giant cat and the snuggle-trees kept chasing me. Can I kill those, so long as I don't touch the 20k door guys used for farming?

Just to be clear, if I go back to Firelink and swap back to the whiny paladin covenant, I can then farm behind the 20k door without short- or long-term repercussions (other than having to pay to clean my sins)?

But I should swap back to Forest before going into Blighttown?

Also, I didn't have enough souls to promote the whiny paladin covenant when given the opportunity. After that, the trio appeared next to him and later left, and I haven't seen an option for promotion. Did I miss anything important?

Bonus crafting question: I'm taking my Knight Shield to +10 to eventually turn it into the Butterfly shield. Will the change totally rewrite the stats for the shield, including weight? Would it make more sense to boost the Spider Shield and transform that, or should I get that to +5 and just keep it for poison resistance?

Top Bottom