• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
cj_iwakura said:
Painted World, after the Zombie Dragon:

What the heck is that thing blocking the bridge?

The bottom half! You need to hit it with a jumping attack to get through.

sixghost

tokkun said:
What? I never saw this guy...
I think if you kill him in the Chapel he won't show up during the fight. I can't imagine why someone would be in the Depths before clearing the Undead Parish though.

Need tips on the dynamic duo in the castle. Orstein and Smough or whatever. 2v1 is KILLING me -- no humanity, so I can't summon. :(

Papercuts said:
The bottom half! You need to hit it with a jumping attack to get through.

What's on the other side? Shortcut to the boss?

1stStrike

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Need tips on the dynamic duo in the castle. Orstein and Smough or whatever. 2v1 is KILLING me -- no humanity, so I can't summon. :(

Do you have a +10 shield, or can you make one with your current materials? If so, and if you've beaten
Sif
you can cheese that battle.

Otherwise, the trick is to get
Smough in front of Ornstein and have them stack up on one another - use the pillars to your advantage and stay up close to Smough to smack him to death and avoid most of his blows. Watch Ornstein as well so you can dodge/block his attacks.

The other alternative is to place a summon sign down, help someone defeat the bosses, and then you'll earn 1 humanity and can make yourself human and summon help as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
corrosivefrost said:

Yeah, you drop down and fight the one knight with a giant shield, and are really close to the boss. I never actually took the other fog gate.

sixghost

corrosivefrost said:

Can you post more information about your character? It's hard to give advice when we don't know what you're working with.

Guevara

Killed Quelaag, dumb question:

Should I be doing anything while I'm down here (besides ring the second bell)? Is there a quicker way to get back to Firelink Shrine than just backtracking through Blight Town/Drakes Valley?

I have many souls and two humanity, so I'm nervous.

sixghost said:
Can you post more information about your character? It's hard to give advice when we don't know what you're working with.

Jack of all trades, really... I use whatever magic when it suits me, normally use a +5 shield like shiba's or eagle or grass crest with lightning spear+4. Have a +5 Quelana Pyro flame (which hooray, I used to kill them... a bit pissed I don't get both souls, btw), stats are pretty even across the board, nothing higher than 24, most not higher than 20 -- level 55 thief.

--

What's the deal with spanky the dinosaur being so pushy for me to put the vessel on the altar? I warped out of there, fuck that creepy bastard.

Guevara said:
Killed Quelaag, dumb question:

Should I be doing anything while I'm down here (besides ring the second bell)? Is there a quicker way to get back to Firelink Shrine than just backtracking through Blight Town/Drakes Valley?

I have many souls and two humanity, so I'm nervous.

If you have the balls, you can take a trip down into demon's ruins for the nice gold hemmed cloak and kill the first boss down there, he's really not bad. Join the Daughters of Chaos if you see fit, or take a trip down the great hollow to ash lake.

And yes, the quickest way up is the waterwheel through Drake Valley.

cpp_is_king said:
Where's the best place to find peoples' summon signs for the 4 kings fight? And what level are most people doing this fight?

Would also like to know this... saw someone tank the fight around level 55 solo, was quite impressive -- using the ring of steel plate, caterina armor set, lightning spear.

1stStrike

Banned
cpp_is_king said:
Where's the best place to find peoples' summon signs for the 4 kings fight? And what level are most people doing this fight?

You probably won't find many. Try the beginning of New Londo. Honestly, the 4 kings are easy as when you're right up in their faces they do almost no damage. All you need is Iron Skin (I did it without, though) and a strong weapon that you can 2 hand (or strong magic if you're a mage) and just wail on them. They're weak against lightning and fire, and incredibly easy. It's a DPS race, so if you can't solo them then your equipment sucks and you need to improve it. A +5 lightning spear, or +10 Fire weapon should make short work of them - or the Dragon King's GreatAxe two handed if you're strength based like I am. I did them in one shot with no help.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Any strategies against ghosts?

I use transient curse, but damn
when you enter a building after the bridge, they're like 10 jumping on me, through floors and walls, wtf

EasyMode

Buggy Loop said:
Any strategies against ghosts?

I use transient curse, but damn
when you enter a building after the bridge, they're like 10 jumping on me, through floors and walls, wtf

If you get yourself cursed by the frogs in the depths, you can block and attack those ghosts without the transient curse. Might wanna make sure you have the cure on hand before you get yourself cursed, though.

chris121580

Guys I put 44 large arrows into the dragons tale and still no Drake sword. Any advice why it's not working for me? Only thing I can think of is there's a red x on the bow when I pull it up but I can still use it

mjc

UrbanRats said:
Im in the depths.
How do i get to the
necromancer that buffs the Gaping dragon?
Can't get him with the longbow, as i'm too slow, is there a way to fuck him face to face?

You know where the
butcher is right after you get into the depths? There's a hole right behind where he was in the wall that you drop down into. It puts you in the area with the giant rat, and there's a tunnel in the back left corner of the hall. Go down that and you'll run into the necromancer.

MMaRsu

Sooo my friends, where is the iato? If I would come in from the valley of the drakes side of blighttown, and make it down to shiva, where do I go from there?

chris121580 said:
Guys I put 44 large arrows into the dragons tale and still no Drake sword. Any advice why it's not working for me? Only thing I can think of is there's a red x on the bow when I pull it up but I can still use it

Probably need more dex?

Man

MMaRsu said:
Sooo my friends, where is the iato? If I would come in from the valley of the drakes side of blighttown, and make it down to shiva, where do I go from there?

You have to work your way up again on the opposite side of the big swamp. It's relatively close to the other end (start) of Blight Town actually. Assuming you came in from the other end (and not the Valley of Drakes) then when the level starts dropping down you go to the left and you have to jump towards a wooden platform. There the body with Iato lies.

Iato seemed a good foundation but is there something special about it?

Draft

chris121580 said:
The x means your stats are not high enough to use the weapon effectively. It can still be equipped and swung (or fired, in this case) but it's doing a fraction of the normal damage.

Maffis

chris121580 said:

Are you aiming at the tip of his tail?

Ah, maybe you lack the dex. Just switch to a short-bow instead. But you need 12 dex for that. Or maybe 11.

WEGGLES

Any tips for Stay demon? I'm human now, but no helper signs here it seems :[

Also, on my second trip to the asylum and my main weapon does like 99.9999999999% dmg on the enemies in hits. They're left with like 1 hp but still need 3 hits. yuck.

froliq

WEGGLES said:

Also, on my second trip to the asylum and my main weapon does like 99.9999999999% dmg on the enemies in hits. They're left with like 1 hp but still need 3 hits. yuck.
Try to always stay behind him and after he does his AoE thingy just go in and do 2 swings and back out. I pretty much did this the entire fight.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
WEGGLES said:

He's weak against bleed weapons, so something like the Bandit Knife does crazy damage to it.

tranciful

chris121580 said:
You don't have enough dex to use the bow, so it's doing a fraction of the damage. So, either raise dex so it'll actually take 30-40 arrows, or use a lot more arrows. The tail falls off I think

I posted this in the OT but I thought I might have a better chance of getting a response here:

Where exactly in blightown are he forest covenant vendor and the whip? I thought I saw someone say that they were near the water wheel you take out but I can't find them anywhere.
And am I right to guess that I need a large divine ember or something to reinforce a divine weapon past +5 or turn it into an occult weapon?

electroshockwave said:
I posted this in the OT but I thought I might have a better chance of getting a response here:

Where exactly in blightown are he forest covenant vendor and the whip? I thought I saw someone say that they were near the water wheel you take out but I can't find them anywhere.
And am I right to guess that I need a large divine ember or something to reinforce a divine weapon past +5 or turn it into an occult weapon?

Occult weapon needs the dark ember, found in painted world of Aramais.
Divine weapon past 5 needs large divine ember, which I think is in the tomb of sleeping giants.

For Shiba, if you're looking at the ramp up to the waterwheel, he's standing to the left of it against a wall. If he's not there, you're either (1) not in the forest covenant or (2) haven't killed Sif -- if I had to guess that is... provided you're in the forest covenant and in good standing, if he's not in blighttown, he's standing to the right of the building with Alvina in it in the forest.

The whip is hard to explain...
And bear with me here, because I might be off... but if you come down to blighttown through normal direction (from the depths), you will kill a fatass ogre and faceless dude as you go down a ramp into a stone cylinder type place... here you climb down a ladder and go through a gate of fog; this is when the bugs start showing up. It's in that cylinder room (which the bottom of is right in back of the save point and contains the dragon scale in a chest. There should be an entrance into it shortly after where the fog gate was -- if you drop from a point in there, you can land on the beam that has the whip.

I've started a new game, have
rung the first bell
, and now I want to concentrate on upgrading my equipment before going any further. What's the best I can do at this point? Just want some tips on where I can grind for titanite, to go above +5 etc.

Charmicarmicat said:
rung the first bell
, and now I want to concentrate on upgrading my equipment before going any further. What's the best I can do at this point? Just want some tips on where I can grind for titanite, to go above +5 etc.

The undead soldiers with the shields and swords/spears drop them.
So either near the first bonfire, or do a run from the blacksmith bonfire out to the locked gate on the bridge, then return -- I think the elite undead knights drop large shards.

Given your requirement, I think that's the best I can suggest (the "slimes" in the depths drop both large titanite shards and green titanite shards... but you can't get there without progressing).

You could also use the Hellkite firebreath +300 souls farming thing to get tons of souls and use them to buy the shards from Andrei. If you're not familiar, it's where you use the first bonfire you find, go up the ladder you kicked down, go up, pop out on the bridge to taunt the Hellkite and get him to breathe fire killing about 6 undead knights and netting you a quick 300 souls.

TKRunningRiot

Neo Member
Charmicarmicat said:
rung the first bell

You can't go above +5 until you give the
Large Ember to give to the blacksmith, which is located in the Depths. The curse frogs
there are good farming, they give 200 souls a pop.

demonkaze

Been looking for some tips on how to take my Wanderer, only at Lv 20 at the moment. For my stats i've been putting them in mostly End and Dex with the odd bit of Vit here and there (16 Str for the Drake Sword too). I don't have any magic yet although I have read that pyromancy can be good and I would like to try and use a bit of magic.

In terms of weapons, I have no idea what I should be aiming for next after the Drake Sword, I would like to be a quick fighter and I pull of backstabs whenever possible.

Trevelyon

Trying to summon in human form outside
Sif's lair
SL 40, way of white covenant. is my lvl too high and is WoW screwing up my chances of finding symbols/partners.

Been waiting there for a while, keep getting invaded by the forest covenant, am I in a bad spot in terms summoning?

demonkaze said:
Been looking for some tips on how to take my Wanderer, only at Lv 20 at the moment. For my stats i've been putting them in mostly End and Dex with the odd bit of Vit here and there (16 Str for the Drake Sword too). I don't have any magic yet although I have read that pyromancy can be good and I would like to try and use a bit of magic.

In terms of weapons, I have no idea what I should be aiming for next after the Drake Sword, I would like to be a quick fighter and I pull of backstabs whenever possible.

Pyromancy seems to be highly-dependent upon the strength of the flame you use to cast it -- you can get the flame for free by talking to the rescued pyromancer you found on your way to the Depths (if you're that far yet).

Fireball/Fire Orb/Great Fireball are my mainstays now and I started out as a thief. If you have high dex, you need to find a weapon that has B/A/S dex scaling or need to upgrade something that scales with dex... either that or you need another high damage no scaling weapon, like the lightning spear found in Sen's Fortress.

Trevelyon said:
Sif's lair
SL 40, way of white covenant. is my lvl too high and is WoW screwing up my chances of finding symbols/partners.

Been waiting there for a while, keep getting invaded by the forest covenant, am I in a bad spot in terms summoning?
I could never figure out where to place my sign to help people here -- I usually started putting it right outside the doors to Sif, but still, I'm not patient to wait around too long. I also would put it right at the bottom of the stairs or right at the door to the structure Alvina is in.

For those having trouble with
Stray Demon
, I used its tail as a judge of where the AoE would max out, and would roll or run around just out of reach of the blast, then continue when it faded out...easy after the third try! =p

I do have a quick question...I found out I have 'sinned' (how I haven't the slightest idea) and would rather not pay those souls if need be, so my question is two-fold: Does the 'sin' carry over to New game+, (I'll pay it off if it does...=/) and if I do not pay, can I still use the guy to quit covenants?

Thanks for the help.

Kyoufu

Trevelyon said:
Sif's lair

Forest is a bad area because you'll get invaded by the Forest covenant a lot. Sif is easy to solo.

demonkaze said:

I'd recommend looking into the katanas. They are a bit weaker than the drake sword to start, but after a few upgrades, they get close. Also, they have the ability to bleed so after a few hits on tougher enemies, you get bonus damage. The only downside is no melee weapon has higher than B dex scaling. Some people are recommending elemental routes for the katanas, but you can figure that out later.

There are two you could get early on:

I'm currently using the Uchi because I got it first and started upgrading it. I actually like the R2 attack on Iaito better, though (R2 attacks and where to get them in the spoilers).

Iaito
(slightly weaker, horizontal slash for R2): Where you first enter Blighttown from the Depths, if you run past the Ogres and look to your left, there is a platform that can only be gotten to by a running jump. That's it.

Uchigatana:
(slightly more powerful, straight poke for R2 attack): kill the merchant in undead burg near the bonfire that sells arrows.

When you find the basic pyromancy guy who will be in Firelink, I'd recommend picking up a few of his spells. They aren't too expensive and are fun to mess around with.

Trevelyon

Kyoufu said:
Forest is a bad area because you'll get invaded by the Forest covenant a lot. Sif is easy to solo.

I've gotten close on two occasions, but even a semi decent partner would surely get me over the line, and at a 30k soul drop I thought more people would be camping out.

is lvl 40 too high to get good summons here?

Nobodyspatzy said:
For those having trouble with
Stray Demon
, I used its tail as a judge of where the AoE would max out, and would roll or run around just out of reach of the blast, then continue when it faded out...easy after the third try! =p

I do have a quick question...I found out I have 'sinned' (how I haven't the slightest idea) and would rather not pay those souls if need be, so my question is two-fold: Does the 'sin' carry over to New game+, (I'll pay it off if it does...=/) and if I do not pay, can I still use the guy to quit covenants?

Thanks for the help.

I've heard no, as far as carrying forward, but cannot vouch personally, as I've only just gotten the lordvessel.

As far as using oswald to quit, yes you can.
But mostly, you don't need to do that in my experience... abandoning one covenant for another seems fine so long as you haven't pissed off the covenant by breaking the rules... examples:

Was in chaos servants, broke the rules, joined dragon, switched to sunlight -- now here, I was pre-emptive and used oswald to abandon first... -- joined gravelords, went back to sunlight... now here's the kicker which i believe makes oswald unnecessary -- I joined darkmoon from sunlight, then without doing anything else, joined princess guard, since I had no use for princess guard other than the trophy and ring and got them, I immediately turned around, went downstairs, knelt in front of Gwyndolin's door and selected "enter covenant". Viola, darkmoon again.

I think the catch is if you tell someone *no* the first time they ask you, such as forest covenant. If it's something where praying is involved, I think you're okay without abandoning at oswald... and furthermore, you might be okay so long as you didn't break the covenant or aggro the leader.

elty

Does killing the forest NPC (those who attack you on sight) physically (not pushing them off cliff) count as sin?

Kyoufu

Trevelyon said:
I've gotten close on two occasions, but even a semi decent partner would surely get me over the line, and at a 30k soul drop I thought more people would be camping out.

is lvl 40 too high to get good summons here?

You're not going to get summons is my point. The area is infested with Forest Hunters trying to get their rings.

I saw a cat sitting in a window in the forest level, so I snuck up on the bastard (or so I thought) and proceeded to kick the shit out of it, only to find out it was some kind of NPC. What happened???

PumpkinPie said:
I saw a cat sitting in a window in the forest level, so I snuck up on the bastard (or so I thought) and proceeded to kick the shit out of it, only to find out it was some kind of NPC. What happened???

No forest covenant/ring of fog for you this playthrough. :D
Welcome to the souls games, friend.

WEGGLES

OH NO!

I miscalculated how much my souls were worth (thought I had proud knight souls, they're just knight souls. Now I need to fark like 3k souls with 15k ON me :'(

I was only going to farm souls because I figured it was low risk to get to 20k, 'cause once I got 6k I'd just use my consumable souls. Ah well. Ring of Sacrifice equipped.

Now, for actual help... what does this mean here

x6vyn.jpg

Why is the humanity image below my health bar? The only other icons I've seen there are status things like when I'm LOW health and I get a def boost... what does this mean? (Forgive the awful 3DS camera image)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
While reading GAF, someone stated that amazon had the Dark Souls Hardcover Guide Book.
So I see the price for only $15 total, everything included, I bite, guess what I got today

That shit feel/looks like the Demon's Bible :

mhpyrm.jpg

Then I crack open the book, DAT NEW BOOK SMELL! *Bites Lip*:

141t5om.jpg

Start reading, enjoying it, then I see my left hand get reddish, very itchy:

2wdms1s.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! **Don't Read this ABOMINATION!** Alert DEFCON 1, or the inner Demon inside of You releases:

141qw3r.jpg

lupin23rd

corrosivefrost said:
No forest covenant/ring of fog for you this playthrough. :D
Welcome to the souls games, friend.
I think you can get the ring from a trade with the crow? At least I hope so, everyone I get summoned to fight in that covenant already has the damn ring and steamrolls me.

Question on the black separation crystal, maybe I'm misunderstanding the description but if I get invaded, can I not use this to kick the guy out of my game? Is that not the point? (or to escape if you are the invader?) It never seems to work if it does that.

daebo

Just got the
Fang Boar Helm
. It does look a little goofy. I haven't read anything about it but I read how to
kill the boar and it was not the way i did it. I wonder if I how I did it was the way to get the helmet. I stood at the bottom of the parish and shot and arrow at it. It came charging all the way to the bottom. While it was charging, I hopped up on to the ledge and did that thing where you jump off (small ledge but it worked) and hit R1 and killed it with one hit. Now I'm running around with a metallic boar head.

I indeed look goofy and I love it.

corrosivefrost said:
Occult weapon needs the dark ember, found in painted world of Aramais.
Divine weapon past 5 needs large divine ember, which I think is in the tomb of sleeping giants.

For Shiba, if you're looking at the ramp up to the waterwheel, he's standing to the left of it against a wall. If he's not there, you're either (1) not in the forest covenant or (2) haven't killed Sif -- if I had to guess that is... provided you're in the forest covenant and in good standing, if he's not in blighttown, he's standing to the right of the building with Alvina in it in the forest.

The whip is hard to explain...
And bear with me here, because I might be off... but if you come down to blighttown through normal direction (from the depths), you will kill a fatass ogre and faceless dude as you go down a ramp into a stone cylinder type place... here you climb down a ladder and go through a gate of fog; this is when the bugs start showing up. It's in that cylinder room (which the bottom of is right in back of the save point and contains the dragon scale in a chest. There should be an entrance into it shortly after where the fog gate was -- if you drop from a point in there, you can land on the beam that has the whip.
Thanks.

i just beat the gargoyle bosses (and thank you if it was a neogaffer that i summoned to help me cause i was getting destroyed!) and then rang the bell. where am i supposed to go next?

i have the official guide but it's kind of confusing. it makes it sound like i have to go back to where that red dragon is on the bridge. but he burns me everytime i go there!

also, i unlocked the prison cell for that dude just before the gargoyles and he said he would give me a gift later on. when and where do i find him so i can collect my prize?!

Top Bottom