• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

AtomHeart

Neo Member
Deadstar said:
Apparently every time you lay down a soul sign it's put on a different server. So put down your sign, wait 30 seconds, if you aren't summoned put another one down. Keep going until you get it working.

Alright I'll give that a try.

kai3345 said:
Do you have to have ranged for the Butterfly boss?

Also how do I manually aim with my crossbow?
No, and you can't. The butterfly will "land" within melee distance after some number of attacks. You can semi-cheese the fight (barely) by walking through the fog and taking a few steps to the left and standing behind a chunk of the wall with flowers on it. It'll block a good number of the lances fired at you. Dodge the homing shots and sonic blast thing. Every now and then the thing'll go to the other side of the bridge and the fog door should block everything. For whatever reason the butterfly would stay a ways down the bridge from where I was standing and just fire away.

It took three rounds of attacks using the drake sword to kill the butterfly. When you see it start to glow when landed get ready to move away because it does a short-range AOE attack before lift-off.

tokkun

MarshMellow96 said:
So is it worth keeping some of the larger weapons -
Black Knight Greatsword, Dragon Tooth, etc
- when playing as a Wanderer?

Your starting class really doesn't matter much. You should keep those weapons if you're planning on making a build with enough strength to use them. If you'd prefer to use smaller, faster weapons you should level dexterity instead of strength.

corrosivefrost said:
Can someone enlighten me about warping between bonfires and if it's easy to do?

Finish Anor Londo and join the covenent. its an option at the bonfire once you do that. im taking on all the hard to get to bosses in blight town/demon ruins once i get this enabled (Im ni Anor Londo right now)

Posted this in the OT, but I guess this thread is probably more appropriate.

Okay, so I have a questions for folks here. I need some Titanite Slabs, as many as I can get. I've already gotten the one from the Stray Demon in the Undead Asylum, so that one is accounted for. I guess the only real place I have left to try is the super-rare drops that you supposedly get from Darkwraiths in the New Londo Ruins.

I have the Golden Covetous Serpent Ring, but is there anything else I should be wearing/getting in order to increase my already slim chances of getting the drop?

Phat Michael said:
Finish Anor Londo and join the covenent. its an option at the bonfire once you do that. im taking on all the hard to get to bosses in blight town/demon ruins once i get this enabled (Im ni Anor Londo right now)

you don't have to join a covenant to do that.

mjc

So I'm trying to fight the
Gaping Dragon
in the Depths. Any general tips? I'm level 22 and I feel like I'm hardly doing any damage.

mjc said:
So I'm trying to fight the
Gaping Dragon
in the Depths. Any general tips? I'm level 22 and I feel like I'm hardly doing any damage.
First of all, make sure you've unlocked the shortcut back to the sewer bonfire. Then for the fight make sure you've got your lightest armor equipped, speed is important. You'll want to always be attacking from the back, so use your best weapon and take his tail out. It took about 5-6 hits with the Drake sword for me. Then just figure out it routine. It's at it most dangerous when it's head is tilted back, so don't come near it- front or back. It's big opening is when it finally slams down it's head, when it does run to the back of it, but don't attack, stay a few feet back, because even with no tail it will do a tail swipe that does serious damage. When starts running forward is your cue to run after and attack. Get as many hits in as you can, when it starts lifting its head up, then back up. It will turn and face you and at this point will do one of several things. 1- slam it's head back down almost immediatley, if it does this then you want to run to the back and repeat the attack process. 2- run after you. If it does this just run in circles until it stops chasing and slams its head down. 3- flys up and tries to land on you. As soon as you see it lifting off run in the opposite direction, watch its shadow, time your jump and you'll escape. Afterwards it will go back into one of it 3 patterns. Some times you need to just run around until it gets back into a predictable patern, but once you do it's a very easy fight for any type of character.

hteng

Banned
Deadstar said:
What do you guys recommend for a weapon that will be upgraded with green titanite (Divine)? I intended to use my halberd but last night I was in blight town and I could NOT hit those flying insects. None of my attacks would connect and I would just get hit over and over again. It was extremely frustrating.

So I think I might have to abandon that thought as I'm only going to be carrying one weapon. I have a shield and miracle cast item in one hand and a weapon and the pyromancer flame in the other. I don't really care for the spears so I'm thinking some type of sword, but my strength is not too high at the moment. I think it's around 18. I'm trying to get more attunement slots and then I'll be focusing on faith to increase the power of my weapon and miracles so I don't want a weapon that requires a super high amount of strength to wield.

There is a
fire keeper soul past the blow dart guys
that you really don't want to miss. Explore that whole area, there are a few items to get.

use a bow or crossbow to hit the flies

WEGGLES

Summon Failed

Summon Failed

Summon Failed

Why? I spent hours last week helping with bosses, being summoned... why can't I summon? :[

Yeah, so any tips for chopping off Priscilla's tail next time? I want to be prepared...

Also, people are right about those fuckin' archers; they suck balls. Make sure you have a bow with some poison tipped arrows before you go there -- two shots in quick, then duck and cover til they eat it. Also, if you die once they're down from idiocy :)raises hand:) they come back. So carefully get to the bonfire immediately after that (door on the left).

--

My biggest pain at the moment, besides regret at not getting Priscilla's tail, is darkmoon covenant related:
Using the invading stone is a no no, I found out I die and lose all my shit. No bueno... so I've been letting her summon me with the ring -- the people are insane. Armor and weapons I've never seen. Seem entirely overpowered like they're just standing around waiting for the game to throw another challenger at them, so they can kill them and get rewarded...

Anyone got any advice?

What I really need is a mimic head and 30 humanity so I can go farm the stupid souvineers off those crow hookers...

How exactly can you summon your friend for coop? I read in the main thread something about placing down the soapstone every 20-30 seconds and that each time it changes servers. My friend in Canada (I'm in the U.S) kept doing this for about 40 minutes today and I never saw his sign pop-up? Is there a surefire way (doesn't matter how long it takes) to be on the same server or change servers to do coop?

Patapwn

So I pretty much beat the game... just killed Gwyndolin and delaying the assassination of Gwyn. You want to know the thing I hate most about this game? The online is fucking killing me... I just can't summon or invade... the whole game I've been trying and it won't fucking work. I NEVER had this problem in Demon's Souls. Aggh!

And WTF is with the red invade stones? Why can't I just have 1 and use that all the time instead of having to deal with quantity bullshit. I got like 10 stones, tried to invade at various points in the game and they're all gone now... where can I even get more?

Patapwn said:
So I pretty much beat the game... just killed Gwyndolin and delaying the assassination of Gwyn. You want to know the thing I hate most about this game? The online is fucking killing me... I just can't summon or invade... the whole game I've been trying and it won't fucking work. I NEVER had this problem in Demon's Souls. Aggh!

And WTF is with the red invade stones? Why can't I just have 1 and use that all the time instead of having to deal with quantity bullshit. I got like 10 stones, tried to invade at various points in the game and they're all gone now... where can I even get more?

Join the darkwraiths if that's the kind of PvP you want -- then you can buy the cracked stones, as I understand it.

Any way you slice it, other than the red soapstone which lets others summon YOU for PvP, you'll need a covenant. Darkwraith, Forest, Darkmoon, Dragon, Gravelord are probably your best bets. Darkmoon and Dragon give you an orb so you can invade at will. Darkwraith will let you buy cracked red orbs. Forest will let you be summoned. Gravelord will let you make others lives miserable (and potentially bring 3v1 on you).

elty

help

I am fighting moonlight butterfly, then it just submerge into the mist/ground. Never appear again.

Quit the game and try again. Same issue.

edit: third time is a charm appzrantly.

Patapwn

elty said:
help

I am fighting moonlight butterfly, then it just submerge into the mist/ground. Never appear again.

Quit the game and try again. Same issue.

Wow, looks like ur fucked. Not a game breaking fucked though. You don't actually need it's soul to progress on with the game. It just unlocks a shortcut

Edit- nevermind

Patapwn said:
So I pretty much beat the game.You want to know the thing I hate most about this game? The online is fucking killing me... I just can't summon or invade... the whole game I've been trying and it won't fucking work. I NEVER had this problem in Demon's Souls. Aggh!

This is the community help thread...

elty

Regarding the moonlight butterfly,I was using bow and arrow for the first 2 tries and both times it just submerged and disappeared. Third time I didn't use bow, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

WEGGLES

What the fuck is with blighttown?

how are you supposed to play it?

I got into seconds per frame territory and then murdered by an invader.

NOT good. :| Laggy/stuttery bullshit in muck that slows AND kills you? That's not demon's souls... :\

Can someone tell me about the guy in demons remains blocking the bonfire? I said no to him and I'm thinking about killing him...

What does he give you?

Grisby

So...the Hydra...at Ash Lake.

I feel like a I hit a bump. I'm a warrior SL 44 and he rips through my defense with his head bash. With my best sword I feel like I'm only doing slight damage. Should I just leave and come back later?

Speevy

Banned
Grisby said:

I feel like a I hit a bump. I'm a warrior SL 44 and he rips through my defense with his head bash. With my best sword I feel like I'm only doing slight damage. Should I just leave and come back later?

No, you're just playing it wrong.

Keep the following in mind. He's not aiming at you. Each of his heads only has a certain range.

Grisby

Speevy said:
No, you're just playing it wrong.

Keep the following in mind. He's not aiming at you. Each of his heads only has a certain range.

Ok, thats kind of what I thought since I would get hit half the time. But I hate not auto locking onto a creature because the camera in this game is mediocre with larger creatures.

Grisby said:

You don't have a decent shield? Pretty easy to fully block most of his head attacks. Just make sure you don't walk into the pit.

Grisby said:
Ok, thats kind of what I thought since I would get hit half the time. But I hate not auto locking onto a creature because the camera in this game is mediocre with larger creatures.

The less aggravating option is to run.
If you make it to the other end and he gives up, he'll beach himself and die. :lol

WEGGLES said:

NOT good. :| Laggy/stuttery bullshit in muck that slows AND kills you? That's not demon's souls... :\

Sounds just like Valley of Defilement to me. ;)

Go back to the undead asylum and get the rusted iron ring so you can move normally in water. Your life will be much easier -- in fact, using that, I ignore the poison and just let it run while I keep an eye on my health. As long as I can evade and kill, that's all that matters to me. :)

Plus it will help you deal with other bullshit, like the hydra talked about in this post, if you want to fight it legit.

Rocwell

Ok, so post Anor Lando boss question: I've beaten
Seath
and
Nito
where to next?

I've done a bit of messing around in the
Great Hollow
and opened the
Flood door in New Anor Lando
but haven't really fully explored them or Valley of Drakes.

I have a ring to let me explore
the abyss. I think the entrance to that is through the great hollow,
is that where I'm headed next?

Grisby

whalleywhat said:
You don't have a decent shield? Pretty easy to fully block most of his head attacks. Just make sure you don't walk into the pit.
I'm using a kite shield upgraded once.

corrosivefrost said:
The less aggravating option is to run.
If you make it to the other end and he gives up, he'll beach himself and die. :lol
Bullshit. Is it?

WEGGLES

corrosivefrost said:
Sounds just like Valley of Defilement to me. ;)

Go back to the undead asylum and get the rusted iron ring so you can move normally in water. Your life will be much easier -- in fact, using that, I ignore the poison and just let it run while I keep an eye on my health. As long as I can evade and kill, that's all that matters to me. :)

Plus it will help you deal with other bullshit, like the hydra talked about in this post, if you want to fight it legit.
Undead Asylum? Like the tutorial area?

And yea, sounds like Valley of Defilement... but that's not the best part of Demon's Souls to emulate :[

My problem is, at the moment it seems like all there is for me to do is blight town and darkroot garden/basin. Both have their issues. Blight town just sucks ass. And darkroot... the golems are too tough. (or something)

kai3345

Banned
Of All Trades said:
No, and you can't. The butterfly will "land" within melee distance after some number of attacks. You can semi-cheese the fight (barely) by walking through the fog and taking a few steps to the left and standing behind a chunk of the wall with flowers on it. It'll block a good number of the lances fired at you. Dodge the homing shots and sonic blast thing. Every now and then the thing'll go to the other side of the bridge and the fog door should block everything. For whatever reason the butterfly would stay a ways down the bridge from where I was standing and just fire away.

It took three rounds of attacks using the drake sword to kill the butterfly. When you see it start to glow when landed get ready to move away because it does a short-range AOE attack before lift-off.
How do I get a drake sword?

I'm using a club ive beefed up about 3 or 4 times at the blacksmith, seems to be working pretty well until this fight.

tokkun

WEGGLES said:

Blighttown is actually one of the easiest areas if approached the right way.

Make sure you have a few purple moss to cure poison. They can be farmed from tree guys in Darkroot.

Get the ring from Undead Asylum that lets you move normally in water.

Enter Blighttown from Valley of the Drakes. If you have the Master Key, you can get there easily from the elevator at the beginning of New Londo. If you don't, you can get in by going from Darkroot Basin -> Valley of the Drakes. If you can't kill the dragons, just sprint past them.

From the entrance of Blighttown, kill 3 ogres and go down the ladders and waterwheel. Hug the wall to the left and light the bonfire.

Go back to the waterwheel. Equip the rusty ring and sprint all the way across the map to the right and forward to the big white area of land. There will be 3 ogres chucking rocks. Just sprint around them and into the cave. Keep running down the cave, the ogres won't be able to follow you and the egg guys will not attack you if you don't attack them first. Cure your poison and heal. You are at the boss door.

WEGGLES

tokkun said:

Make sure you have a few purple moss to cure poison. They can be farmed from tree guys in Darkroot.

Get the ring from Undead Asylum that lets you move normally in water.

Enter Blighttown from Valley of the Drakes. If you have the Master Key, you can get there easily from the elevator at the beginning of New Londo. If you don't, you can get in by going from Darkroot Basin -> Valley of the Drakes. If you can't kill the dragons, just sprint past them.

From the entrance of Blighttown, kill 3 ogres and go down the ladders and waterwheel. Hug the wall to the left and light the bonfire.

Go back to the waterwheel. Equip the rusty ring and sprint all the way across the map to the right and forward to the big white area of land. There will be 3 ogres chucking rocks. Just sprint around them and into the cave. Keep running down the cave, the ogres won't be able to follow you and the egg guys will not attack you if you don't attack them first. Cure your poison and heal. You are at the boss door.

Hmm. I'll make my way from the sewers to firelink and then get the ring and tackle the darkroot area I guess.

I hear farming past that 20k door is good. I'm roughly SL 25, am I high enough level to farm that? (I only say this, because I have 14k in consumable souls and getting the other 6k won't be too hard)

Zeliard

tokkun said:

"The right way" turning out to be skipping the entire level, lol. :p

Can't blame someone for wanting to skip it though. I like the design but the framerate is unfortunate. There's some worthy loot to be found though that you won't get by skipping to the end of it.

tokkun

WEGGLES said:
Hmm. I'll make my way from the sewers to firelink and then get the ring and tackle the darkroot area I guess.

I hear farming past that 20k door is good. I'm roughly SL 25, am I high enough level to farm that? (I only say this, because I have 14k in consumable souls and getting the other 6k won't be too hard)

Yes, because most people farm that area by exploiting a glitch in the AI pathing that causes the enemies to fall off a cliff.

If you want to do it in a more legit way, it is a little tricky, because there is a transparent knight that you fight right away that is kind of tough. If you beat him he does not respawn, and it is pretty easy to farm after that.

WEGGLES

Zeliard said:
"The right way" turning out to be skipping the entire level, lol. :p

Can't blame someone for wanting to skip it though. I like the design but the framerate is unfortunate. There's some worthy loot to be found though that you won't get by skipping to the end of it.
What sort of stuff? I got a couple sets of armor I think (wanderers stuff and shadow set) and a bunch of proud knight souls.

Skipping all of blight town doesn't seem so bad right about now.

That frame rate. :[

tokkun said:
Yes, because most people farm that area by exploiting a glitch in the AI pathing that causes the enemies to fall off a cliff.

If you want to do it in a more legit way, it is a little tricky, because there is a transparent knight that you fight right away that is kind of tough. If you beat him he does not respawn, and it is pretty easy to farm after that.

After the BS I encountered in Blight Town a little exploiting doesn't sound so bad :p

Zeliard

WEGGLES said:
What sort of stuff? I got a couple sets of armor I think (wanderers stuff and shadow set) and a bunch of proud knight souls.

Skipping all of blight town doesn't seem so bad right about now.

That frame rate. :[

The Iaito and Eagle Shield, primarily, as well as the armor sets. There's also a whip there that I missed though people have said those aren't too hot.

tokkun said:
The most important stuff is accessible from the area around the shortcut - Crimson armor set and Firekeeper's Soul

Iaito is one of the best swords in the game.

corrosivefrost said:
Yeah, so any tips for chopping off Priscilla's tail next time? I want to be prepared...

Also, people are right about those fuckin' archers; they suck balls. Make sure you have a bow with some poison tipped arrows before you go there -- two shots in quick, then duck and cover til they eat it. Also, if you die once they're down from idiocy :)raises hand:) they come back. So carefully get to the bonfire immediately after that (door on the left).

--

My biggest pain at the moment, besides regret at not getting Priscilla's tail, is darkmoon covenant related:
Using the invading stone is a no no, I found out I die and lose all my shit. No bueno... so I've been letting her summon me with the ring -- the people are insane. Armor and weapons I've never seen. Seem entirely overpowered like they're just standing around waiting for the game to throw another challenger at them, so they can kill them and get rewarded...

Anyone got any advice?

What I really need is a mimic head and 30 humanity so I can go farm the stupid souvineers off those crow hookers...

ok I have some tips and a question :D

for priscilla's tail: I brought an unleveled pyromancy flame and shot fire orbs at her to reveal her, then all I did was focus on poking the tail with the spear because you can hit very precisely (this was in new game++ :( ) remember, you don't have to win the fight.. you just need to get that damn dagger. Then you can gear up again to kill her after that.

for the dark moon- using the ring.. i believe there is no level cap so thos epeople could be much higher level than you, I farmed the crows without this mimic head and it took me around 5-6 hours of farming.

Now the question: How do you get the mimic head?? :eek: I want new items!!!

UrbanRats

Im in the depths.
How do i get to the
necromancer that buffs the Gaping dragon?
Can't get him with the longbow, as i'm too slow, is there a way to fuck him face to face?

cnizzle06

Banned
UrbanRats said:
Im in the depths.
How do i get to the
Can't get him with the longbow, as i'm too slow, is there a way to fuck him face to face?
Mmm yeah, fuck that gape.

tokkun

UrbanRats said:
Im in the depths.
How do i get to the

What? I never saw this guy...

CatPee

UrbanRats said:
Im in the depths.
How do i get to the

There's a little gap you can go through that's behind where the butcher was at the beginning of the Depths. Do a bit of exploring and watch out for holes and you should find him. Be warned that he has a shit ton of Giant Rats protecting him and some are hidden in boxes and will jump out at you right before he's in melee range.

UrbanRats said:
Im in the depths.
How do i get to the
There's a way up there but damned if I remember how. It's part of the Depths, though. I think you have to roll over the small gap that water pours into from both sides in one of the narrow tunnels?
How do I get a drake sword?

I'm using a club ive beefed up about 3 or 4 times at the blacksmith, seems to be working pretty well until this fight.
Shoot off the tail of the dragon on the bridge in Burg from underneath the bridge (near the shortcut to starting burg). In theory it's a "cheese" weapon but where you're at I'd argue the usefulness is starting to wane. It's still a good weapon, though, and should get you through the Depths, which will be next.

Top Bottom