• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

TheExecutive said:
Christ, any advice for the Capra demon? Been stuck on that SOB for a couple days now
I got him on the second try
by abusing the stairs. If you're below him most of his attacks can't hit you.
The first try lasted less than five seconds.

54-46!

I don't want to run around with the Hollow soldier shield any more heh, any good ones coming up? I've just ringed the second bell.

Speevy

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Christ, any advice for the Capra demon? Been stuck on that SOB for a couple days now

Remember this. If you've survived the first 10 seconds of the fight, your chance of winning it increases dramatically. If you've killed the dogs, he's just another baddy with a big sword.

Speevy

Banned
54-46! said:
I don't want to run around with the Hollow soldier shield any more heh, any good ones coming up? I've just ringed the second bell.

You can upgrade your basic shields, like knight shield to higher levels with the blacksmith at the bottom of the Undead Burg.

There's a pair of shields in the Valley of the Drakes which offer fire and magic protection, respectively.

Zimbardo

does stat scaling completely go away when you turn a weapon into a Lightning weapon?

like a Great Scythe has 'B' for dexterity scaling. does that stay the same, get reduced a little, or go away completely once upgraded to a Lightning weapon?

thx.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
TheExecutive said:

As soon as you walk in, roll to the stairs. Take out the dogs on the stairs then it's an easy 1 on 1 fight Capra. I beat him my first try with this.

matmanx1

Zimbardo said:
does stat scaling completely go away when you turn a weapon into a Lightning weapon?

like a Great Scythe has 'B' for dexterity scaling. does that stay the same, get reduced a little, or go away completely once upgraded to a Lightning weapon?

thx.

Goes away completely. But unless you have an absolutely monster dex score the Lightning weapon is going to do far more damage.

Zimbardo

matmanx1 said:
Goes away completely. But unless you have an absolutely monster dex score the Lightning weapon is going to do far more damage.

okay thx.

has anyone tried the Demon's Spear?

i believe it has scaling as C&C in Strength and Dexterity ...but it also has Lightning damage that i think scales up with each upgrade.

i think you need demon titanite to upgrade it. not sure how far you can take it for upgrades.

seems like it might be kind of a best of both worlds type weapon.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i just beat the gargoyle bosses (and thank you if it was a neogaffer that i summoned to help me cause i was getting destroyed!) and then rang the bell. where am i supposed to go next?

i have the official guide but it's kind of confusing. it makes it sound like i have to go back to where that red dragon is on the bridge. but he burns me everytime i go there!

also, i unlocked the prison cell for that dude just before the gargoyles and he said he would give me a gift later on. when and where do i find him so i can collect my prize?!

anyone? :/

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
ok guys, I major help.
I was at Blighttown then descended further down where I encountered a snail-like octopus, I shot some bows from my crossbow. No damage. I even went down the shaft behind that monster and beat it with several weapons but nothing seems to damage it. Any help to beat it?

One more thing, is there anything good down the poisonous swamp below blighttown? I've collected few souls so Im wondering if there's any more precious treasure that I might've missed.

Also, now Im at that part where the fire soul lady is murdered in which I needed to upgrade my flask once more and don't know what to do or where to go there from there. I have the black eye thingy and I may have to go to lando where those asshole ghosts are at. if thats the place to go then there has to be a merchant that sells those stones to make my physically harm them.

Atomski

Verano said:
ok guys, I major help.
I was at Blighttown then descended further down where I encountered a snail-like octopus, I shot some bows from my crossbow. No damage. I even went down the shaft behind that monster and beat it with several weapons but nothing seems to damage it. Any help to beat it?

The
Tail that is whipping around above him is the only part that takes damage. Shoot that a bunch and you are done.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
anyone? :/
You don't have to actually go on the red dragon bridge. After you defeated the Taurus demon you should have noticed a locked door in front of the bridge. You should have gotten the basement key from the undead church and you'll be able to go down into the lower undead burg and fight the Capra demon. If you explore you should also find a new shortcut back to the firelink shrine and a useful vendor.

The NPC will be back at the firelink shrine, down the stairs from the bonfire.

Trickster

Just got the symbol of avarice headpiece, wondering if the +item find and curse(?) makes it worth using over a normal helmet.

Verano said:
ok guys, I major help.

One more thing, is there anything good down the poisonous swamp below blighttown? I've collected few souls so Im wondering if there's any more precious treasure that I might've missed.

Also, now Im at that part where the fire soul lady is murdered in which I needed to upgrade my flask once more and don't know what to do or where to go there from there. I have the black eye thingy and I may have to go to lando where those asshole ghosts are at. if thats the place to go then there has to be a merchant that sells those stones to make my physically harm them.

Just keep attacking it from behind, that worked for me.
There's definitely some useful items down in the swamp but you might want to put off searching all of it until you get the rusted iron ring from the
Undead Asylum
Lautrec is in Arno Londo not New Londo but you won't be able to get there until you beat the Blighttown boss and Sen's Fortress.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
electroshockwave said:
Just keep attacking it from behind, that worked for me.
There's definitely some useful items down in the swamp but you might want to put off searching all of it until you get the rusted iron ring from the
Undead Asylum
Lautrec is in Arno Londo not New Londo but you won't be able to get there until you beat the Blighttown boss and Sen's Fortress.

ohhhh...how do you go back there??

Also, blighttown boss is located where? I've only seen a white door but that that lead me to descend further down to the swamp. And where is Sen's fortress?

So go back to the shaft and attack it even though that mosters health gauge doesn't show the depleted damage right? if so....then might as well go back and beat it.

One last thing, do I have to go to the catacombs?
Cuz some clerics and a blonde chick with mage overalls went down there to rekindle or someshit

Sotha Sil

Okay, so I rang the first bell, got into darkroot garden and killed the
big butterfly of doom
, but I really don't know what to do now. The New Londo ghosts are pretty tough, and the drakes are kicking my ass. Which area should I try first?

Thanks in advance!

EasyMode

Sotha Sil said:
Okay, so I rang the first bell, got into darkroot garden and killed the big butterfly of doom, but I really don't know what to do now. The New Londo ghosts are pretty tough, and the drakes are kicking my ass. Which area should I try first?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you haven't been to the lower section of Undead Burg, so try that.
There's a door that leads down there at the bridge with the red dragon, opposite the door you entered. You should have the key now.

Sotha Sil

EasyMode said:
Sounds like you haven't been to the lower section of Undead Burg, so try that.
There's a door that leads down there at the bridge with the red dragon, opposite the door you entered. You should have the key now.

I completely forgot about this door! Thanks a lot :)

Fucking Capra Demon can go to hell! Bah!

Battle spoilers:
I got lucky on one playthrough: I killed one of the dogs straight off, and the other dog got stuck on a pillar and was running in place, so after a brief trip luring the Demon around the area I killed the other dog. Then I got the Capra Demon stuck at the bottom of the stairs so I would just do a falling attack, roll away and run back up the stairs. Rinse, repeat. Except on one turn I accidentally hit the attack button an extra time and attacked him, leaving me open for one of his attacks which knocked me down, and as I was getting up he hit me again and that was it.

The worst part is my middling thief weapon was only doing 50 damage per attack. Ugh. Every other time I've barely lasted fifteen seconds. I don't know if I should keep at it, or explore somewhere else first.

Verano said:
ohhhh...how do you go back there??

Also, blighttown boss is located where? I've only seen a white door but that that lead me to descend further down to the swamp. And where is Sen's fortress?

So go back to the shaft and attack it even though that mosters health gauge doesn't show the depleted damage right? if so....then might as well go back and beat it.

One last thing, do I have to go to the catacombs?
Cuz some clerics and a blonde chick with mage overalls went down there to rekindle or someshit
Take the elevator from firelink up to the church but immediately get off onto a ledge. From this little area you should see some items on top of the roof, one of them is a key you'll need for the undead asylum. Roll from the cliff to the structure and explore around to get it. At the top of the area is the crow's nest. If you go up to it and curl up it will fly you back to the Asylum. There's a new boss there and a couple of black knights so be careful.

Once you make it down to the swamp go right and you should find a bonfire in a little tunnel. Further across the swamp in the same direction is a big white hill that has a cave leading to the boss. Sen's fortress is near the Undead parish blacksmith. It's the building with the onion knight in front of it.

I have no idea what's optional or not in this yet. I'm in the catacombs now but after beating the boss I did get the rite of kindling, an item that allows to kindle a bonfire beyond the current maximum to get even more Estus flasks from it.

elty

Incendiary said:
Fucking Capra Demon can go to hell! Bah!

Battle spoilers:
I got lucky on one playthrough: I killed one of the dogs straight off, and the other dog got stuck on a pillar and was running in place, so after a brief trip luring the Demon around the area I killed the other dog. Then I got the Capra Demon stuck at the bottom of the stairs so I would just do a falling attack, roll away and run back up the stairs. Rinse, repeat. Except on one turn I accidentally hit the attack button an extra time and attacked him, leaving me open for one of his attacks which knocked me down, and as I was getting up he hit me again and that was it.

The worst part is my middling thief weapon was only doing 50 damage per attack. Ugh. Every other time I've barely lasted fifteen seconds. I don't know if I should keep at it, or explore somewhere else first.

I think having a spear or piercing sword really helps in boss, when you can block and attack the same time.

My tactic was first
lure the boss towards the door, then run to the back. I focused on killing the 2 dogs first (3 hit each). The boss has a 2 handed attack that cannot be block, but everything else is blockable. I kept backing up in circle using the stairs, and attack slowly. The boss is easy after you take care of the dogs.
I think the Carpa demon is much easier than the gargoyle, which almost kill me even with help.

You can also go to deep root garden to farm souls first if you wish. The mini boss guarding the entry to it from the smith
can be cheesed by shooting an arrow, hide behind door, repeat x 100

Kalnos

Banned
elty said:
You can also go to deep root garden to farm souls first if you wish. The mini boss guarding the entry to it from the smith
can be cheesed by shooting an arrow, hide behind door, repeat x 100

You can just run past him, you don't have to kill him.

GJS

Anyone know what level people are doing Demon Ruins at? I've been trying to find some summon signs before I run into the boss room and waste the human form, I'll just give up trying to switch lobbies if the usual level is too low compared to mine.

Grisby

Yeah, Hydra defeated. Guy took me enough tries. He kept knocking me into the water. Horrible fight for a melee character.

IrishNinja

Grisby said:
Yeah, Hydra defeated. Guy took me enough tries. He kept knocking me into the water. Horrible fight for a melee character.

god, this. id try to rush up to discourage that fucking water cannon, he'd still use it! and id be attacking his heads & fall into the deep.
gonna try again tomorrow, and make more use out of that rock to the right, heh.

IrishNinja said:
god, this. id try to rush up to discourage that fucking water cannon, he'd still use it! and id be attacking his heads & fall into the deep.
gonna try again tomorrow, and make more use out of that rock to the right, heh.

Crank up your brightness or something, you can see the fall off in the water where it is not safe. I did it with nothing but a mace and it was fairly easy.

IrishNinja

Terrordactyl said:
Crank up your brightness or something, you can see the fall off in the water where it is not safe. I did it with nothing but a mace and it was fairly easy.

i knew i set it to too dark when i started, playing on a plasma doesn't help. will try this though, thanks.

elty

Do I miss Black Bow of Pharis permanently if that guy drop off cliff?

I tried reloading the game, but no item near the cliff.

DarkKyo

So... is there no way to get out of the depths after you've gotten to the bottom floor? All I want to do is leave and go back to the sunlight but it really seems like the only possible way I can go is Blight Town. I really hope thats not true...

Just before the boss in the catacombs, in the room with the wheel skeletons there's a treasure on a ledge. Does anyone know how to get it?

Nevermind, I found a way down. You have to drop off a ledge just before the titanite demon.

IrishNinja

elty said:
Do I miss Black Bow of Pharis permanently if that guy drop off cliff?

I tried reloading the game, but no item near the cliff.

ah, shit - you mind specifying where you'd (hopefully) found it? i gotta go back for that & the iato tomorrow. thats the one that scales S to dex, yeah?

Septimius

What's below (post second bell ringing spoiler)
The Primordial Serpent Frampt? I heard you can jump down
?

Kalnos said:
You can just run past him, you don't have to kill him.

I dunno. People keep saying it's a hard battle for melee'ers, but I found it enjoyable and straight-forward, albeit a bit hard at level 18.

Zeliard

Dechaios said:
So... is there no way to get out of the depths after you've gotten to the bottom floor? All I want to do is leave and go back to the sunlight but it really seems like the only possible way I can go is Blight Town. I really hope thats not true...

You should be able to just go back the way you came in but there's also a shortcut that leads up to near the Depths bonfire. If you're heading in the opposite direction of the Depths vendor and the entrance to Blighttown, go forward and go through the second door on the left and that leads up to a shortcut.

Kyoufu

IrishNinja said:
ah, shit - you mind specifying where you'd (hopefully) found it? i gotta go back for that & the iato tomorrow. thats the one that scales S to dex, yeah?

From an almost invisible archer enemy in the forest. Not too far from the farming spot.

edit: good luck getting it though. Mine jumped off a cliff and I never saw the item after I re-loaded the game.

Kyoufu

Dechaios said:

You need to explore more and also pay more attention to where you have been and what is surrounding you, as there are shortcuts in every area of the game. Like the hole in the wall that you drop into water with the dogs there. That room is the start of the Depths.

njean777

Hey guys where is the grinding spot in the Darkroot Garden many people said its easy to grind in a certain spot and I am trying to find it... Also do I have to buy the crest before I get to this spot. For all I know I could be in the wrong place all together...

IrishNinja

Kyoufu said:
From an almost invisible archer enemy in the forest. Not too far from the farming spot.

edit: good luck getting it though. Mine jumped off a cliff and I never saw the item after I re-loaded the game.

oh, so he's one of the transparent guys in the farming part? same stretch of the forest, or after that? i gotta make sure i dont lose that guy, my DEX build needs that bow.

grendelrt

FrenchMovieTheme said:
this motherfucking capra demon and his dog friends!

I was stuck on him for a bit. What I did was buy that spell that enchants your shield. That allowed me to block his opening hits so I could get up the stairs and kill the dogs. After that I fire bombed and melee'd him.

bigjimmystyle said:
How do I make a magic weapon? Is it the enchanted ember?

Magic weapon is done to +5 at Rickert down in New Londo Ruins. Bring him a +5 normal weapon and green titanite and he'll take it magic to +5. +10 I don't know, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Kyoufu said:

Same for me.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
So after I talked to the witch in the swamp, I went back and told Laurentius about it and now he's gone? Does that mean I can no longer buy Iron Flesh?

Pretty much. He's down in the swamp now, wanted a nice new flame like you had...

But I don't think he'll be selling you anything.

Top Bottom