• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What's the main difference between this thread and the OT? Is this where I ask for help and tips? I've been doing it in the all this time and thought this thread was regarding online play.

TheHakku

Darklord said:
Just started the game. I picked pyromancy and had a few questions.

Are fireballs someone I should only use in extreme situations or will I have enough to use them now and again?

Secondly, what attributes would I level up?
You should have plenty provided you know when to use it. Once you know your way around areas, you'll know when to hold onto, and when to use the flame. Instead of MP, there's a fixed number of uses, though they can be replenished, like your flasks at bonfires.

Early on I would recommend upgrading some dexterity and strength so you can use a short bow, and wield the Drake Sword (look up how to obtain it). It can become quite handy, especially early on in your journey. I would also recommend spending points in endurance more early on, so you don't have to fat roll, and so you can lock-on and walk around to enemies' backs fast enough so you can backstab. Upgrading vitality (max health) is important, as well. Attunement can be leveled up later once you learn more pyromancies (or if you start to choose a different path: miracles, spells, sorceries).

Vistrix

Could someone help me with finding a better weapon than the starter one?

I've rung the first bell and im going into the forest area now. I started out as a cleric and have had my mace ever since because I haven't found anything better yet.

Where should I be looking for a new weapon? I've collected titanite shards for a weapon but I don't want to use it on the starter one...

Labadal

Vistrix said:

I've rung the first bell and im going into the forest area now. I started out as a cleric and have had my mace ever since because I haven't found anything better yet.

Where should I be looking for a new weapon? I've collected titanite shards for a weapon but I don't want to use it on the starter one...

I have the same question.

And also, when can I start upgrading my gear?

Doc Evils

Any one want to give me tips on how to kill the black knight on the
return visit to the Asylum
in the long hallway after the bonfire?

Darklord

Banned
Are there any restrictions on what a pyromancer can use or wear? Like If I buy a sword is that no good? Or wear solider armour instead of cloth?

Vistrix said:

Winged spear gets my vote. Couple that with a decent shield and you should be good to go.

Darklord said:
Are there any restrictions on what a pyromancer can use or wear? Like If I buy a sword is that no good? Or wear solider armour instead of cloth?

My pyromancer is currently rocking full Elite Knight armor and Drake's Sword/Winged Spear... As long as you have the stats for it you should definitely be able to equip them.

Ashkeloth

Vistrix said:

To be honest, as a Cleric, if you're sticking to a Cleric type build of a hell of a lot of FAITH, some END, and some VIT, and some ATT for slots, you're best off trying to make a Divine + 5 weapon of some kind.

To do that, you'll need the Divine Ember found
After you defeat the Moonlight Butterfly in the Woods
handed in to the first blacksmith, and white titanite chunks, along with as many somewhere around 9 Titanite Shards from either the blacksmith's shop or found to get it to the inital +5 you need to modify it to a divine weapon.

If you want to stick to cleric-y style weapons, unfortunately, the Mace is literally the best in that category for some reason. No, I don't know why. I guess From just hates mace lovers.

If you don't however, and are willing to pour some points into STR or DEX, most weapons you find in the world of Dark Souls will probably outclass that thing..

Labadal said:
I have the same question.

And also, when can I start upgrading my gear?

Feel free to upgrade to +5 whenever, since you can buy Titanite Shards from the first blacksmith for 800 souls a pop. Later on, 800 souls is really nothing more than a couple of minutes farming. Save your [color] Titanite Chunks for when you find a weapon that is really good.

Doc Evils said:
Any one want to give me tips on how to kill the black knight on the
return visit to the Asylum
in the long hallway after the bonfire?

Block, get behind him, backstab, run behind him as he's getting up, backstab, repeat. That's the only way you can really handle those guys at low levels. At high, it's like any other enemy.

Darklord

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
My pyromancer is currently rocking full Elite Knight armor and Drake's Sword/Winged Spear... As long as you have the stats for it you should definitely be able to equip them.

Oh cool. Does wearing armour slow your roll? Or is it just when you carry too much?

Edit: Also, I saw in Giant Bomb's quick look you can aim with the bow like zoom in a bit with a cross-hair. How? My guy just random aims, it's useless.

Ashkeloth

Darklord said:
Oh cool. Does wearing armour slow your roll? Or is it just when you carry too much?

Edit: Also, I saw in Giant Bomb's quick look you can aim with the bow like zoom in a bit with a cross-hair. How? My guy just random aims, it's useless.

If you look at your "equip load" stat, that is what affects your mobility, stamina regeneration, and roll. 25% or less of the max amount gives you the maximum speed, stamina regen, and mobility. 50% or less gives you the average speed, where you hit the ground with a thud but recover pretty quickly when you land during a roll, and above that gives you the "fat roll", which takes forever to recover from, and is likely to get you killed. It is better to go for a blocking build than using fat rolls.

To zoom with a bow (PS3 controls since that's what I'm on. translate to Xbox if you're on that), equip the bow, press R1/L1 to "ready" the bow, then hit L1 to enter free aim. You can then zoom in with the d-pad, and hit R1 again to fire. Hitting L1 again cancels free aim mode.

Darklord

Banned
Ashkeloth said:
If you look at your "equip load" stat, that is what affects your mobility, stamina regeneration, and roll. 25% or less of the max amount gives you the maximum speed, stamina regen, and mobility. 50% or less gives you the average speed, where you hit the ground with a thud but recover pretty quickly when you land during a roll, and above that gives you the "fat roll", which takes forever to recover from, and is likely to get you killed. It is better to go for a blocking build than using fat rolls.

To zoom with a bow (PS3 controls since that's what I'm on. translate to Xbox if you're on that), equip the bow, press R1 to "ready" the bow, then hit L1 to enter free aim. You can then zoom in with the d-pad, and hit R1 again to fire. Hitting l1 again cancels free aim mode.

Oh ok. I'm at 50% then. Is it just what you wear? Or all items? If it is all, can you drop stuff?

And thanks for the bow tips!

Barrett2

Is there a second bonfire in
Blight Town
? Once I get all the way down to the water, I don't know where to go, and how the Hell do I avoid getting poisoned so much!?

Ashkeloth

Darklord said:
Oh ok. I'm at 50% then. Is it just what you wear? Or all items? If it is all, can you drop stuff?

And thanks for the bow tips!

Only what you wear. Items such as flasks don't count towards it, but weapons in both slots one and two of both hands factor into the weight. You can carry infinite amounts in your inventory.

lawblob said:
Is there a second bonfire in
Blight Town
? Once I get all the way down to the water, I don't know where to go, and how the Hell do I avoid getting poisoned so much!?

Stick to the right side of the swamp and you'll find it. It's near an area with a large piece of wood and one of those strange insectoid creatures that breath fire-like stuff at you, in a stone tunnel.

You just have to deal with the poison. Purple moss clumps dropped from living plants in the forest area will stop it, but you shouldn't use it until right near the boss door. Boss is in the big rocky looking area with vines guarded by rock ogres. Stick to the right if you don't want to aggro them.

Johnas

I just found another Fire Keeper Soul in
Blighttown
, but when I went back to Firelink Shrine
the Fire Keeper there was dead. I found a Black Eye Stone there on her corpse, which says it will allow me to enter the world of her murderer

My question is, is there any other way way for me to upgrade my Estus Flasks from +1 to +2 if I don't pursue that? I didn't know if this was a non-optional story branch in the game. I ask because I don't play games online, and don't have a PSN account, but it looks like I'll have to make one if I want to further upgrade my flasks.

Is that correct?

Vistrix

OneMoreQuestion said:
Winged spear gets my vote. Couple that with a decent shield and you should be good to go.
Ashkeloth said:
To be honest, as a Cleric, if you're sticking to a Cleric type build of a hell of a lot of FAITH, some END, and some VIT, and some ATT for slots, you're best off trying to make a Divine + 5 weapon of some kind.

To do that, you'll need the Divine Ember found
After you defeat the Moonlight Butterfly in the Woods
handed in to the first blacksmith, and white titanite chunks, along with as many somewhere around 9 Titanite Shards from either the blacksmith's shop or found to get it to the inital +5 you need to modify it to a divine weapon.

If you want to stick to cleric-y style weapons, unfortunately, the Mace is literally the best in that category for some reason. No, I don't know why. I guess From just hates mace lovers.

If you don't however, and are willing to pour some points into STR or DEX, most weapons you find in the world of Dark Souls will probably outclass that thing..

Feel free to upgrade to +5 whenever, since you can buy Titanite Shards from the first blacksmith for 800 souls a pop. Later on, 800 souls is really nothing more than a couple of minutes farming. Save your [color] Titanite Chunks for when you find a weapon that is really good.
Thanks a lot for the comments. I've already poured a couple of points in str and dex and the rest into faith/endurance.

I guess I'll +5 the Winged spear and aim to get a divine weapon once I find something better.

Patryn

Johnas said:
Blighttown
the Fire Keeper there was dead. I found a Black Eye Stone there on her corpse, which says it will allow me to enter the world of her murderer

My question is, is there any other way way for me to upgrade my Estus Flasks from +1 to +2 if I don't pursue that? I didn't know if this was a non-optional story branch in the game. I ask because I don't play games online, and don't have a PSN account, but it looks like I'll have to make one if I want to further upgrade my flasks.

Is that correct?

No. Later on you'll find other people who can do it as well.

Tonza

Which way to go at SL 50, New Londo, The catacombs or Sen's Fortress?

I don't have a divine weapon yet though. Only upgraded weapon is Uchigatana +10. I could make the Iaito a divine one.

RyanDG

Tonza said:
Which way to go at SL 50, New Londo, The catacombs or Sen's Fortress?

I don't have a divine weapon yet though. Only upgraded weapon is Uchigatana +10. I could make the Iaito a divine one.

A divine weapon does make the catacombs easier, but its absolutely not necessary. What is necessary though if you go in there without one is to make sure you hunt down every Necromancer and kill them.

Djin1979

I just opened the shortcut in blighttown for the valley of drake... is that anything else to do there ? I really hate this place, really awfull FPS ( its barely playable like 5 fps) infinite spawn, poison, heights... Please tell me that I m done with it, I didn't encounter a boss there, is that normal ?

Where I could go now ?

Grisby

Djin1979 said:
I just opened the shortcut in blighttown for the valley of drake... is that anything else to do there ? I really hate this place, really awfull FPS ( its barely playable like 5 fps) infinite spawn, poison, heights... Please tell me that I m done with it, I didn't encounter a boss there, is that normal ?

Where I could go now ?

In Blighttown there is a boss. It's requried to ring the second bell to proceed more in the story. The boss's lair is in the back, the giant white hill, by the water wheel elevator you used to get to the valley.

Baha

Johnas said:
Blighttown

Is that correct?

If you want to
re-light that bonfire and resurrect that dead fire keeper, keep a firekeeper soul aside for her. The eye you got is for an NPC invasion and you don't have to play online to do it. Just a heads up

zeitgeist

SO I just spent the 20,000 souls to get into the forest and I have looked up how to farm the souls but since you fight what look to be normal people, I am worried that they are NPCs I might need later.

Is it safe to kill them? Do they respawn so I can keep killing them for loads of souls?

purg3

slept with Malkin
zeitgeist said:
SO I just spent the 20,000 souls to get into the forest and I have looked up how to farm the souls but since you fight what look to be normal people, I am worried that they are NPCs I might need later.

Is it safe to kill them? Do they respawn so I can keep killing them for loads of souls?

kill them and use the bonfire by the door and they respawn.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Kweh said:
What are the best stats to boost as a Pyro? I've just been putting points in most so far.

enought DEX/STR for the weapons you want to use, and END/VIT. I focused more on DEX stat, but haven't put much in anymore due to scaling on lightning/fire weapon upgrades. I have yet to put a stat point in anything other than those. Might put a few in Attunement for an extra spell slot.

matmanx1

Kweh said:
What are the best stats to boost as a Pyro? I've just been putting points in most so far.

Pyros are closer ranged battle type mages so you are going to want at least 16str for the Drake sword, at least 12 dex for a bow and then probably 20'ish endurance and vitality for stamina and hitpoints. If you plan to do your major damage with pyromancy you are going to want to plan on upgrading your flame (once you've rescued the trainer) and make sure you have enough Attunement to load a variety of spells. Go for the str and dex upgrades first so you can use the best early gear and then decide how you want to proceed.

matmanx1

_dementia said:
Where do I go after killing the Bell Gargoyle and ringing the bell?

There's a passage that goes down another level of the undead burg. There are demon dogs and assassins down there to greet you and eventually the Capra Demon and the Depths.

54-46! said:
Is the Black Knight sword worth upgrading? I'm a melee/DEX character.

Not for a dex character. It's pretty slow, but it does hit incredibly hard when upgraded (which you can do very easily). I prefer using my katana.

K' Dash

Nobody answered this in the OT, help please.

K' Dash said:
Guys I just finished Blighttown yesterday today I was trying to get missed items and I'm finished with this place, where I should be headed next? I tried the great hollow but those fucking frogs keep cursing me and the big mushrooms 1 hit kill me too, so, I guess I shouldn't be here yet.

Should I go to the Catacombs or Undead Asylum again?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So what conclusion did the player collective reach regarding pyromancy effectiveness: does it scale with INT when the gloves and other casting equipment are upgraded or do I have to rely on training?

I remember people were wondering whether the scaling was related to the physical damage the equipment do or not.

Draft

K' Dash said:
Nobody answered this in the OT, help please.

Should I go to the Catacombs or Undead Asylum again?
After Blighttown the second bell should have been rung and Sen's Fortress opens up. Go there next.

Zakkath

So, has anyone killed Ceaseless Discharge ? (without using the pitfall exploit, that is)
I can avoid one maybe 2 attacks, and then he just 1shot me. Tried different positionning, tried timing dodge-roll... the attack is simply too large to avoid it.

Jinfash said:
So what conclusion did the player collective reach regarding pyromancy effectiveness: does it scale with INT when the gloves and other casting equipment are upgraded or do I have to rely on training?

I remember people were wondering whether the scaling was related to the physical damage the equipment do or not.

As far as I can tell: Sorcery scales with INT unless you have a catalyst with high magic adjust (the one you buy from dusk is a good example). Miracles scale with faith unless you have a talisman with high magic adjust. I think Pyromancy just scales with the flame... it's the only one that I've seen so easy to upgrade during the course of the game. I had it at +10 before I went into blighttown. At +5 Quelana flame, I'm doing massive damage to anything without fire protection -- a fire orb is doing 511 damage to the crows in the painting. I did about 1/2 someone's lifebar at 605 with a great fireball (and they were not wearing low class armor).

So, personal experience from my hand says "pyromancy scales solely with the strength of your flame."

Zakkath said:
So, has anyone killed Ceaseless Discharge ? (without using the pitfall exploit, that is)
I can avoid one maybe 2 attacks, and then he just 1shot me. Tried different positionning, tried timing dodge-roll... the attack is simply too large to avoid it.

I came close between using the water magic from pyromancy and dodging down the stairs at the last minute with the ninja flip ring. I eventually used the canyon though.

Speevy

Banned
Did anyone have the same experience as me?

Defeated Pinwheel, went up a ladder or two, saw darkness. "Oh, here's some markers. Walk, walk, walk, FALL to death, *TOMB OF THE GIANTS* "You are dead."

Top Bottom