• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

zerokoolpsx said:
Where exactly is the shortcut to Izalith in the Demon Ruins? I just beat Ceaseless Discharge and standing in front of a zone I can't enter. I'm in a gauntlet with a bunch of minor Capra Demons and minor Taurus Demons. Is the shortcut at the bottom near the lava?

Down past the capra demons, there's a root you can run down into an aquaduct like structure I think. When you hit a strange wall, that's it. You can see it in the speed run by the dude that was posted in the Dark Souls OT.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRBlbx4M7D8&feature=player_detailpage#t=43s

So, as a Pyromancer planning to use a mixture of melee and magic, what stats would you say I should invest in? Haven't really invested in anything but Attunement and a bit of Vitality so far.

chris121580

Dommel said:
Today was a good day to die for the
moonlight butterfly, gaping dragon and that huge rat.

Felt so good, thought I could take on the whole world.

Until I got my ass handed to me at the beginning of Blighttown.

The real Dark Souls starts here...
:lol :lol Exactly what I said a couple pages back. I started progressing downward and said to myself, "shit just got real."

So I kind of hate the Depths right now!

Got fucking cursed by those dumbass frogs, don't have any uncurse items with me, stuck at the bonfire and I end up getting killed by the butcher and the dogs if I try to leave, and if I try to go forward I end up giant rat cheese.

Nyarrrrrgh Dark Souuuulllls! /shakes fist

Incendiary said:
So I kind of hate the Depths right now!

Got fucking cursed by those dumbass frogs, don't have any uncurse items with me, stuck at the bonfire and I end up getting killed by the butcher and the dogs if I try to leave, and if I try to go forward I end up giant rat cheese.

Nyarrrrrgh Dark Souuuulllls! /shakes fist

Did you run from the butchers originally? Cause they don't respawn...

--

And you're welcome zerocoolpsx -- I kind of wish I'd known it was right there -- I got my 30 humanity donated, took my spell, then plunged my lightning spear in her chest and felt horrible for doing so. I couldn't help it, I wanted the 5k souls and the firekeeper soul she drops.

TheBear

Weapon upgrading is confusing the shit out of me. What's the best upgrade path for the Uchigatana? How do I make a lightning spear? Is it possible to make a Magic Weapon without having to use a spell?
I liked using the Drakesword because it just did its job, but fuck trying to find something to replace it is painful.

bigjimmystyle said:
Weapon upgrading is confusing the shit out of me. What's the best upgrade path for the Uchigatana? How do I make a lightning spear? Is it possible to make a Magic Weapon without having to use a spell?
I liked using the Drakesword because it just did its job, but fuck trying to find something to replace it is painful.

Okay, here we go:

To upgrade any weapon, so long as it's not unique, you upgrade normal to +5. Once you're at that point, you can branch.

See the diagram here:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4324/dksweaponupgrades31.jpg

So for Uchi, ignore the dragon and unique paths. Those are for weapons like Drake Sword and Astora's Straight Sword, for example and require dragon scales and twinkling titanite, respectively.

Now if your Uchi is anything short of Uchigatana +5, you upgrade as normal until it is. Then you can change and do one of five branches: fire, normal path, raw path, magic path, or divine path. Some of these require finding special embers and giving them to a specific blacksmith. Most of these will go to +5, which will either be the limit for the branching type (raw) or the furthest you can go until you find another ember to allow you to branch again or take it to +10.

If you want it to be magic, go to the guy in the jailcell in New Londo Ruins, reinforce weapon to +5, then modify weapon for the option to take it to Magic Uchigatana. You can then take it to +5 until you find either the enchanted ember or the large magic ember.

TheBear

corrosivefrost said:
Okay, here we go:

To upgrade any weapon, so long as it's not unique, you upgrade normal to +5. Once you're at that point, you can branch.

See the diagram here:

Ok, thanks for that. I wanted to make a Magic Morning Star, so I upgraded it to +5, but couldn't turn it Magic. I have green titanite so according to that chart I should be able to make it magic. I bought the Magic Weapon Spell, was that a waste of souls? What am I missing? Also can't see anything about lightning weapons on that chart.

EDIT: Just saw the rest of your post then. So only the guy in New Londo can make actual magic weapons?

bigjimmystyle said:
Ok, thanks for that. I wanted to make a Magic Morning Star, so I upgraded it to +5, but couldn't turn it Magic. I have green titanite so according to that chart I should be able to make it magic. I bought the Magic Weapon Spell, was that a waste of souls? What am I missing? Also can't see anything about lightning weapons on that chart.

EDIT: Just saw the rest of your post then. So only the guy in New Londo can make actual magic weapons?

Lightning = Thunder --- I think the diagram was made before the localized english version was released and people were playing JP version.

And yes, just like the dude in Anor Londo is the only one who can make boss soul weapons and the dude near the undead church can make divine/occult/raw and the blacksmith in the catacombs can do fire, only the dude near New Londo can do magic.

So what exactly does reversing hollowing do? And how about kindling a bonfire? I figure reversing hollowing is kind of like Demon's Souls, where you get some more HP?

SUBZERO-08 said:
So what exactly does reversing hollowing do? And how about kindling a bonfire? I figure reversing hollowing is kind of like Demon's Souls, where you get some more HP?

Reverse hollowing un-undeads you(you become human), which allows you to summon other players and be invaded, and also increases your drop rate, and maybe something else I forgot. It does not increase your HP like in the previous game.

Kindling a bonfire increases the amount of Estus Flasks you get for camping at it. You can get 10 Estus Flasks if you kindle it.

TheBear

corrosivefrost said:
Lightning = Thunder --- I think the diagram was made before the localized english version was released and people were playing JP version.

And yes, just like the dude in Anor Londo is the only one who can make boss soul weapons and the dude near the undead church can make divine/occult/raw and the blacksmith in the catacombs can do fire, only the dude near New Londo can do magic.

Thanks very much for your help! Now to just save some souls for upgrades! Cheers

UrbanRats

Just got into Pyromancy.
What are the best spells?
Is it wothed to take the low levels ones (such as firball, combustion) or should i wait and go with bigger stuff (great fireball, great combustion etc)?

Conciliator said:
Reverse hollowing un-undeads you(you become human), which allows you to summon other players and be invaded, and also increases your drop rate, and maybe something else I forgot. It does not increase your HP like in the previous game.

Kindling a bonfire increases the amount of Estus Flasks you get for camping at it. You can get 10 Estus Flasks if you kindle it.
Oh okay, thanks. I should use some of my Humanity then.

tokkun

Patryn said:
That's what I'm trying. I've only taken lances to the chest thus far, but hope prevails.

I used the Fog Ring when I did it. Maybe that makes it a lot easier. They didn't shoot at me until after I hit them with the first arrow.

Zakkath

corrosivefrost said:
Okay, here we go:

See the diagram here:

So for Uchi, ignore the dragon and unique paths. Those are for weapons like Drake Sword and Astora's Straight Sword, for example and require dragon scales and twinkling titanite, respectively.
Thanks for this link. It is a HUGE HELP. That shouls be in the OP :)

purg3

slept with Malkin
UrbanRats said:
Just got into Pyromancy.
What are the best spells?
Is it wothed to take the low levels ones (such as firball, combustion) or should i wait and go with bigger stuff (great fireball, great combustion etc)?

Iron Flesh can be useful for boss battles, basically turns you into a walking tank. Although movement speed is drastically reduced. It definitely saved me a few times. I'm still using the basic spells with a pyro glove +10 for now.

For those interested in pyromancy, my personal favourites:

(1) Fire Orb -- if you can afford this, it's much better than Fireball. I carry 2x and use it to do most of my medium range combat.

(2) Great Fireball -- see above, but with more oomph -- when extra crispy is what you need... less uses, bigger projectile, more damage.

(3) Iron Flesh -- someone else covered this -- if I didn't have this and the 2 other spells, I never would've taken out the Anor Londo boss(es) on my own.

I've never used combustion/great combustion much, they're a bit closer range, which I'm okay with using straight melee for. The sweat one for reducing fire damage was good against the first boss in Demon Ruins. Firestorm is kind of fun, but it's unpredictable, so I don't use it that much. My new favorite is Fire Surge (found in painted world of aramais); it's basically a flamethrower -- works great for dealing with opponents when you're circling each other -- then when they stop to heal, you pop em with fire orb or great fireball. ;) Fireball isn't a bad jumping off point if you can't afford fire orb.

Beyond that, I have almost all the pyromancies, but I mainly stick to the three listed above.

TheBear

corrosivefrost said:
For those interested in pyromancy, my personal favourites:

(1) Fire Orb -- if you can afford this, it's much better than Fireball. I carry 2x and use it to do most of my medium range combat.

(2) Great Fireball -- see above, but with more oomph -- when extra crispy is what you need... less uses, bigger projectile, more damage.

(3) Iron Flesh -- someone else covered this -- if I didn't have this and the 2 other spells, I never would've taken out the Anor Londo boss(es) on my own.

I've never used combustion/great combustion much, they're a bit closer range, which I'm okay with using straight melee for. The sweat one for reducing fire damage was good against the first boss in Demon Ruins. Firestorm is kind of fun, but it's unpredictable, so I don't use it that much. My new favorite is Fire Surge (found in painted world of aramais); it's basically a flamethrower -- works great for dealing with opponents when you're circling each other -- then when they stop to heal, you pop em with fire orb or great fireball. ;) Fireball isn't a bad jumping off point if you can't afford fire orb.

Beyond that, I have almost all the pyromancies, but I mainly stick to the three listed above.

How is the range on the fire orb?

tokkun

Smough and Ornstein: How?

I managed to kill Ornstein once in like 15 attempts, but only got about one hit on upgraded Smough.

Aaron

What's the best place to farm twinkling ore? I have the ring that increases drops.

tokkun said:
Smough and Ornstein: How?

I managed to kill Ornstein once in like 15 attempts, but only got about one hit on upgraded Smough.
Summon two allies. Goes down easy with help.

Aaron said:
What's the best place to farm twinkling ore? I have the ring that increases drops.

Summon two allies. Goes down easy with help.

Any place with the clams -- I think I've seen them in Crystal Caves and down in Ash Lake. Your call, really.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, so I fell down a pit in The Depths, was assaulted by some frogs, and then got Cursed. It all happened so quickly I'm not quite sure what went down. I now have half health.

Should I even try going back to get my corpse? It looked like I turned into stone or something. Will I even be able to recover all my souls? I'll probably just end up being cursed again...

tokkun

Zefah said:
Wow, so I fell down a pit in The Depths, was assaulted by some frogs, and then got Cursed. It all happened so quickly I'm not quite sure what went down. I now have half health.

Should I even try going back to get my corpse? It looked like I turned into stone or something. Will I even be able to recover all my souls? I'll probably just end up being cursed again...

Yes, you can get the souls back. The Depths is a pretty easy area, I would suggest that you finish it off and kill the boss before bothering to go get uncursed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:
Yes, you can get the souls back. The Depths is a pretty easy area, I would suggest that you finish it off and kill the boss before bothering to go get uncursed.

With half health? Damn. I suppose I'll try.

So, how should I approach that area? Did I just get a bad roll and get cursed, or is it really easy to get cursed? I just read that curses stack, so I'll have even less HP if it happens again ><.

gate777

Level 23 good enough to tackle the
dual gargoyle bosses?

Strength, endurance, and dexterity are all around lvl 15-16. Longsword +3 and Drakes sword. No magic yet so this will be a melee fight. If I get help from
Solaire of Astora
will that help? I plan on coating my weapon with pine resin as well.

Zefah said:

So, how should I approach that area? Did I just get a bad roll and get cursed, or is it really easy to get cursed? I just read that curses stack, so I'll have even less HP if it happens again ><.

With patch 1.03 they supposedly removed stacking.

Stay back with the frogs, bait them into scurrying toward you, and stab them quickly when they do. Never stay near them for long, never battle a group.

Some gear is good against curses (crimson set is phenomenal), humanity helps increase your resistance as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
gate777 said:
dual gargoyle bosses?

Strength, endurance, and dexterity are all around lvl 15-16. Longsword +3 and Drakes sword. No magic yet so this will be a melee fight. If I get help from
Solaire of Astora

I beat those guys at level 18 or so. The drake sword makes super quick work of them. Just make sure you're agile enough to roll around.

tokkun

Zefah said:

They don't stack anymore.

It's not tough to beat that area with half health. All of the enemies are simple to kill. With the basilisks you just need to learn the area so you know where they are so they don't surprise you with curse breath. The boss is extremely easy once you recognize the pattern. I did it without getting hit and I'm only of middling skill at this game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and who can teach me Pyromancy spells? I could use some way to do fire damage...

tokkun

gate777 said:
dual gargoyle bosses?

Solaire of Astora

Should be a pushover. I fought that boss at a lower level with companions and it probably took less than 20 seconds, including me cutting off the tail.

Max

I am not Max
How do I upgrade my +5 weapons with my Large Titanite Shard? Neither blacksmith is letting me

edit: btw I killed the smith in undead burg lol

tokkun

Zefah said:
Oh, and who can teach me Pyromancy spells? I could use some way to do fire damage...

Did you rescue the guy in the barrel in the first part of the Depths? If so, he'll train you back at Firelink.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:
Did you rescue the guy in the barrel in the first part of the Depths? If so, he'll train you back at Firelink.

I did! Maybe I should retreat to Firelink and get better prepared.

Holy fuck. Holy fuck. Holy fuck.

Just beat the
Gaping Dragon
. Fuck fuck fuck. I just used every spell, every offensive item in my inventory. I even summoned Solare, and the chump did nothing and went down in like three hits without doing any damage. My piddling thief was running around, shooting every arrow I had in my inventory...fuck that was an endurance match. But I did it! I did it! Holy fuckballs. Now...what to do with all these souls. :|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just went back to Firelink to get Pyromancy Spells and the friends of that priest guy arrived. The priest said he was going to leave soon. Is that true? If so, can I buy priest spells from anyone else?

darkwing

Zefah said:
I just went back to Firelink to get Pyromancy Spells and the friends of that priest guy arrived. The priest said he was going to leave soon. Is that true? If so, can I buy priest spells from anyone else?
he will be back

darkwing said:
where is the key to big logan's cell in the Duke's Archives?
Have you located the room with tons of chest? It is in one of those chest. If you just started there, you will need to go forward and backtrack later.

Got a question on a hidden item in the Duke's Archives :
any way to get the chest on top of a bookshelf other than taking a leap of faith (or rather, fail in my case) while the staircase is moving ? Can't time this right, and every time it takes ages to clear out the way to retry.

I don't see any other way to get that but if someone knows a way I didn't think of, I'm all ears.

Top Bottom