• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Icelight

I think I'm screwed.

I can't beat the
four kings
at all. I've tried doing it with finesse but once a second one pops up I get overwhelmed almost immediately (never mind when 3 show up).

I've tried equipping Havel's set and tanking them but I still can't beat one fast enough before more show up and overwhelm me. When I've got all that armor on I just can't attack often enough and they keep spamming their huge damage attacks over and over as well.

I can't buy Iron Flesh either since the Pyromancer dude at Firelink up and disappeared and doesn't want to come back.

The few times I used some of my precious humanity to summon people, they died when falling into the
abyss
(I guess they don't have the ring...)

This is the first boss in the game where it just doesn't seem fair at all.

Alright, so I'm trying to beat the Taurus Demon, and every time I try to
climb the ladder the second time, he always manages to slash me and kill me before I can get up high enough.
What am I doing wrong? I always lure him to the other side of the bridge first, but he's a fast runner. Pyromancer, SL 8.

prodystopian said:
Not for a dex character. It's pretty slow, but it does hit incredibly hard when upgraded (which you can do very easily). I prefer using my katana.

Which do you prefer: Uchi, Iaito, or Washing Pole?

--

And no about Tomb of the Giants or whatever. I haven't beaten Pinwheel yet, I left there after clearing out the catacombs and went to Anor Londo, where I screwed up the painted world... but the point of it wall was clearing out enough stuff to get cast light magic... which I have now... I haven't gone back though.

--

SUBZERO-08 said:
climb the ladder the second time, he always manages to slash me and kill me before I can get up high enough.
What am I doing wrong? I always lure him to the other side of the bridge first, but he's a fast runner. Pyromancer, SL 8.

Can you climb the ladder again as soon as you hit with the drop? He should be kind of stunned giving you the time for his recovery plus his startup animation in terms of animation for time to you to climb.

Speevy said:
Did anyone have the same experience as me?

Defeated Pinwheel, went up a ladder or two, saw darkness. "Oh, here's some markers. Walk, walk, walk, FALL to death, *TOMB OF THE GIANTS* "You are dead."

I managed to get far enough in to be killed by a skeleton, really need to find that lantern.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
corrosivefrost said:
As far as I can tell: Sorcery scales with INT unless you have a catalyst with high magic adjust (the one you buy from dusk is a good example). Miracles scale with faith unless you have a talisman with high magic adjust. I think Pyromancy just scales with the flame... it's the only one that I've seen so easy to upgrade during the course of the game. I had it at +10 before I went into blighttown. At +5 Quelana flame, I'm doing massive damage to anything without fire protection -- a fire orb is doing 511 damage to the crows in the painting. I did about 1/2 someone's lifebar at 605 with a great fireball (and they were not wearing low class armor).

So, personal experience from my hand says "pyromancy scales solely with the strength of your flame."

I came close between using the water magic from pyromancy and dodging down the stairs at the last minute with the ninja flip ring. I eventually used the canyon though.
Thanks for the tip. That kind of damage will definitely do, so I won't bother myself with upgrading INT unless I feel the need to adopt a few sorceries.

Jinfash said:
Thanks for the tip. That kind of damage will definitely do, so I won't bother myself with upgrading INT unless I feel the need to adopt a few sorceries.

That should do it -- I mean, my INT is under 20... I think I got it to 18 to try homing soul mass, which isn't really cutting it at the base level with only 2 orbs.

--

Does anyone know if magic works against ghosts in New Londo (without being cursed)?

Zakkath

corrosivefrost said:
That should do it -- I mean, my INT is under 20... I think I got it to 18 to try homing soul mass, which isn't really cutting it at the base level with only 2 orbs.

--

Does anyone know if magic works against ghosts in New Londo (without being cursed)?

I thought I would fine now that I have Soul Arrow. I was wrong. You still need to be cursed even for spells. That sucks.

Zakkath said:
I thought I would fine now that I have Soul Arrow. I was wrong. You still need to be cursed even for spells. That sucks.

I asked because I looked up a video of 3 dudes taking on 4 kings and the dude was hitting enemies in the ruins with homing soul mass -- I thought I caught him hitting a ghost or two with it... my plan is to go get cursed and farm for a ghost blade after I finish up my 10 souvineers of reprisal for darkmoon... though I may go tackle tomb of giants first to farm some humanity so I can get a higher drop rate...

--

Is there a good place with several mimics other than the castle at Anor Londo? I haven't been to Tomb of Giants, Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins or New Londo yet... I really want that Mimic "symbol of avarice"... :\

Oh shit, did he have a soul or something he should have dropped after I beat him? Hope I didn't get screwed over by dying at the same time. I don't see anything dropped on the bridge.

SUBZERO-08 said:
Oh shit, did he have a soul or something he should have dropped after I beat him? Hope I didn't get screwed over by dying at the same time. I don't see anything dropped on the bridge.

No soul. You don't get a boss soul for a good long time, so no worries. You can cut off his tail for a weapon, I think though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys!

I finally picked up a copy of the game yesterday and dumped like 5 hours into it! I was a huge fan of Demon's Souls and I'm absolutely loving this game.

I started as a Cleric with the Master Key. I'm up to level 20 now and I just beat the Gargoyles at the top of the Undead Parish. Right now I'm mucking around in Darkroot Garden, although I'm not sure it's where I should be right now.

Anyway, just a couple of questions:

In general, what are some stats I should be investing in? I've mostly been building up Endurance so I can have more Stamina and carry more armor while remaining agile, but is that a good idea? Are there any really good spells I should be getting while I'm still early in the game? I have 10 Intelligence, but haven't bought any of the spells.

Any advice or suggestions regarding stat progression would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Zefah said:
Hi guys!

I finally picked up a copy of the game yesterday and dumped like 5 hours into it! I was a huge fan of Demon's Souls and I'm absolutely loving this game.

I started as a Cleric with the Master Key. I'm up to level 20 now and I just beat the Gargoyles at the top of the Undead Parish. Right now I'm mucking around in Darkroot Garden, although I'm not sure it's where I should be right now.

Anyway, just a couple of questions:

In general, what are some stats I should be investing in? I've mostly been building up Endurance so I can have more Stamina and carry more armor while remaining agile, but is that a good idea? Are there any really good spells I should be getting while I'm still early in the game? I have 10 Intelligence, but haven't bought any of the spells.

Any advice or suggestions regarding stat progression would be much appreciated! Thanks!

You can mess around in the garden, sure -- just be careful with the giant stone armors, they can be deadly with their tranquil walk of peace bullshit.
You could probably attempt the moonlight butterfly while you're there, but he's a bit of an annoyance if you don't have any ranged attacks.

If you want to focus on melee, endurance and strength are going to be your best bets probably; if you're going to focus on miracles, boost faith, if you want spells, boost INT... dex seems kind of silly unless there's one of the few dex based scaling weapons that you prefer to use (katanas, bows, etc.) There's no reason to not pick up some pyromancy when you get the opportunity, since the only barrier to being better there is souls for upgrading the flame...

As to where you really want to be, the next story progression is a well overlooked door that you go by just after the Taurus demon; It's where you first pop out on the bridge that the Hellkite perches on.

test_account

XP-39C²
What is the most newbie friendly class to start with? And also any tip on what to upgrade first, and if it is really worth to do much grinding/leveling up before moving on in the game? I started off with Knight (i'm level 17 now), but it feels a bit too hard for me :\ The Knight moves quite slow, making it harder to dodge attacks without rolling.

I bought the Black Phantom Edition of Demon's Souls and it included a guide with tips on how to get through the game. I followed this guide and come to think of it, i belive that this actually made me enjoy the game much more.

test_account said:
What is the most newbie friendly class to start with? And also any tip on what to upgrade first
Opinions may vary, but start as the pyromancer but segue into a sorcerer build (as in, don't bother levelling up your flame, but buy soul arrow from two different merchants ASAP to get 60 charges per bonfire) and start destroying enemies from a distance.

With that build if you put points into vitality or defense you should be able to take at least one extra hit, which will give you time to roll away, drink a flask and continue pelting people like a cheap jerk.

Zakkath

meltingparappa said:
Opinions may vary, but start as the pyromancer but segue into a sorcerer build (as in, don't bother levelling up your flame, but buy soul arrow from two different merchants ASAP to get 60 charges per bonfire) and start destroying enemies from a distance.

With that build if you put points into vitality or defense you should be able to take at least one extra hit, which will give you time to roll away, drink a flask and continue pelting people like a cheap jerk.

Where do you buy the 2nd one ? I got the one we can buy in Londo Ruins.

SUBZERO-08 said:
I wouldn't even try climbing again. Just back away from him using your pyromancy or firebombs. Keep your distance and roll under attacks.

Zakkath said:
Where do you buy the 2nd one ? I got the one we can buy in Londo Ruins.
"Griggs of Vinheim" is behind a locked door at the lower level of the Undead Burg, near where the Capra Demon is. You can get to him as soon as you get the basement key. He's actually right near the staircase, so you don't have to go through the long alleyway of death to reach him. You need the "resident key" for a mere 1000 souls from the merchant to free him.

test_account

XP-39C²
meltingparappa said:

Thanks for the tips! :) "Segue into a sorcerer build", do mean only to buy more soul arrows from those merchants, or is there anything specific you mean i shall upgrade?

Noaloha

I just purchased Flash Sweat in the hopes that it'll help me get past Quelaag.

I read the description and thought "hm, that's an.. 'interesting' method of providing flame resistance", I cast the spell to test it out and, holy shit. What the fuck is happening to my adventurer!?

The spell's appearance is horrifying and hilarious in equal measure.

K' Dash

Draft said:
After Blighttown the second bell should have been rung and Sen's Fortress opens up. Go there next.

I don't want to go to Sen's Fortress yet, I went to the garden and defeated
Sif the Great Gray Wolf
took me a few tries, and a change of strategy, but I did it, now I want to go to the catacombs or the Undead Asylum again, the great hollow will have to wait, I hate those fucking frogs and when I see them I panic and do stupid moves :-/

corrosivefrost said:
Which do you prefer: Uchi, Iaito, or Washing Pole?

Uchi is a few points better damage than Iaito, but I like Iaito has a horizontal R2 attack which I like better. I'm using Uchi right now because I have it upgraded a little further. I don't have Washing pole yet, but I plan to check it out.

test_account said:
Thanks for the tips! :) "Segue into a sorcerer build", do mean only to buy more soul arrows from those merchants, or is there anything specific you mean i shall upgrade?
I found Sorcerer to be the easiest "class" to play as because after you get the ability to use 60 soul arrows per bonfire visit, I started just pumping point after point into my intelligence stat to make them more powerful, in the hopes they wouldn't survive two blasts and I'd have to fight them melee. Later in the game, you can start crafting weapons into "magic" versions so that they scale based on your magic stat. They'll never be as powerful as fire/chaotic greatswords, but they definitely get the job done if you run out of the even more powerful magic spells.

The reason to start as a pyromancer though is because the pyro starts with better equipment, starts at a lower level so it's easier to diversity your stats, and the pyro flame early on (before you find the magic merchants) is still awesome enough to take you through most of the undead burg.

Mileage and opinions may vary, but I found that method of playing to be relllllllatively easy yet still rewarding, and my fragile heart thanked me for it.

If you do end up going this route, you should also know that putting points in attunement will increase the amount of spells you can hold VERY QUICKLY. Early on, just two or three points will give you another slot, which equates to either 20-30 more shots or the ability to use an incredibly useful "magic shield" spell.

prodystopian said:
Uchi is a few points better damage than Iaito, but I like Iaito has a horizontal R2 attack which I like better. I'm using Uchi right now because I have it upgraded a little further. I don't have Washing pole yet, but I plan to check it out.
Iaito R2 sheath 2 handed attack looks so good =D

elty

SUBZERO-08 said:

You need to pull it a bit away from the tower first, then find a opening to run back to the tower.

test_account

XP-39C²
meltingparappa said:
I found Sorcerer to be the easiest "class" to play as because after you get the ability to use 60 soul arrows per bonfire visit, I started just pumping point after point into my intelligence stat to make them more powerful, in the hopes they wouldn't survive two blasts and I'd have to fight them melee. Later in the game, you can start crafting weapons into "magic" versions so that they scale based on your magic stat. They'll never be as powerful as fire/chaotic greatswords, but they definitely get the job done if you run out of the even more powerful magic spells.

The reason to start as a pyromancer though is because the pyro starts with better equipment, starts at a lower level so it's easier to diversity your stats, and the pyro flame early on (before you find the magic merchants) is still awesome enough to take you through most of the undead burg.

Mileage and opinions may vary, but I found that method of playing to be relllllllatively easy yet still rewarding, and my fragile heart thanked me for it.

If you do end up going this route, you should also know that putting points in attunement will increase the amount of spells you can hold VERY QUICKLY. Early on, just two or three points will give you another slot, which equates to either 20-30 more shots or the ability to use an incredibly useful "magic shield" spell.
Great, thanks again! :) I will try that tomorrow.

Also just two quick questions, regarding the gift you get to chose when creating a character, is there any gift that really gives an advantage? I guess maybe the ring who heal HP can be nice to have. And the souls that you pick up from the dead bodies, is there any reason to save those to later in the game or is it just to use them to level up faster?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Any good humanity farming locations? I'm thinking the Depths.

test_account said:
Great, thanks again! :) I will try that tomorrow.

Also just two quick questions, regarding the gift you get to chose when creating a character, is there any gift that really gives an advantage? I guess maybe the ring who heal HP can be nice to have. And the souls that you pick up from the dead bodies, is there any reason to save those to later in the game or is it just to use them to level up faster?
Best starting gift (IMHO) is the master's key, because it gives you more options on where to go if you get stuck, including easier access to bonfires through what are normally one way doors. Note that it doesn't open EVERY door, though, and it is entirely possible to go the wrong way and get destroyed by an enemy you shouldn't be facing yet.

Also the souls from dead bodies can be used at any time, I find that the best time to use them is when you happen to be at a bonfire or merchant and don't quite have enough souls to level up or buy the item you want. There's no reason to horde them if you're confident you won't die and lose them.

Also the description of that ring is inaccurate. It doesn't actually regenerate HP, it actually just gives you a +30 bonus, which gets useless after the first area. No gift is impossibly better than the rest though, so there's not a ton of pressure in choosing one. Also FYI the pendant apparently doesn't actually do anything, and any notes to the contrary are just rumors from before the game came out.

Rez said:
Any good humanity farming locations? I'm thinking the Depths.
By a country mile, the best humanity spot is late in the game right before the boss at the T
omb of Giants, after killing all the pinwheel mages. Walking in the water will spawn infinite baby skeletons. Equip the item drop ring found in Sen's Fortress and go nuts.

Edit:
MMaRsu said:
Guys how to deal with the casters in the archives? Really need help.
If you hit them a few times they teleport away. If you can get them in a spot where they're not bothering you, you don't have to fight them. Just do a few nonchalant suicide runs of the area to grab all the items then try to get to the bottom floor of the first library area you enter after the prison room.

If you go down the ladder guarded by the archer and hit the lever, the next bonfire is right there.

Finally beat the Capra Demon. Fuck yeah. /does the famous I-just-beat-a-Dark-Souls-boss dance

What really helped was that I had overweighted my thief accidentally with my shield. I went to a lower weight shield and suddenly my rolls were a million times better and I had no trouble with him at all.

Random note: Is there a specific design decision as to why Dark Souls won't let you play online while you're talking in a party? I was playing and a friend came on and we started talking and it kicked me to offline mode.

Incendiary said:
Random note: Is there a specific design decision as to why Dark Souls won't let you play online while you're talking in a party? I was playing and a friend came on and we started talking and it kicked me to offline mode.
You don't have to agree with it, but the likely reason is immersion and being able to talk would change the nature of the co-op gameplay.

If you're on a 360 supposedly you can just private chat with someone as a workaround.

UrbanRats

Yes, beat the Gaping without being hit in one try, thanks for the help with the necromancer, GAF! :D

New question: i've been using the drake sword for some time now, what could be the next step? I'm thinking something that i can upgrade, but a lot of weapons are so weak that even upgraded they're not worthed, what do you suggest?
Also i'd like something with a thrust attack, cause
Oscar
was a bitch to do without one.

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay, what's the preferred destination after Anor Londo? I've just defeated O&S.
Depends what you have left to do, really.

(aka, do Catacombs/Tomb of Giants last for a million reasons)

UrbanRats said:
New question: i've been using the drake sword for some time now, what could be the next step? I'm thinking something that i can upgrade, but a lot of weapons are so weak that even upgraded they're not worthed, what do you suggest?
Since the Drake Sword scales poorly, you should be able to compare stats (pressing the 'square' button on PS3 while going through your equipment inventory) and it'll easily tell you if you have something better.

If you don't currently have something better, wait to see if going up a few levels changes anything, or wait to find something better.

Or, if you like the attack on a weapon you have, try upgrading it a few times and see if that changes things. Most crafting shards/chunks aren't SUPER rare, so don't worry if you put a bunch of work into a weapon and realize there are better options a few hours later.

Even as a mage, useful weapon drops were super frequent. Don't forget to give any embers you find to whatever black smiths will accept them (you can't give the wrong ember to the wrong blacksmith, so just say yes when they ask).

meltingparappa said:
You don't have to agree with it, but the likely reason is immersion and being able to talk would change the nature of the co-op gameplay.

If you're on a 360 supposedly you can just private chat with someone as a workaround.

It makes sense to me, it just surprised me when it happened. There isn't a way to pick who you summon, right? Unless I guess people could summon somebody, then add them and try to chat with them. Yeah, okay, I can see people trying that.

Patryn

Ok seriously, fuck Anor Londo. Still stuck on the roof with the first two archers. I even went and destroyed the Catacombs in the meantime (
Pinwheel went down so easily I thought it was a joke. 2 Great Chaos Fireballs and he was toast.
).

Don

Speevy said:
Did anyone have the same experience as me?

Defeated Pinwheel, went up a ladder or two, saw darkness. "Oh, here's some markers. Walk, walk, walk, FALL to death, *TOMB OF THE GIANTS* "You are dead."
This exact thing happened to me just before I stopped playing today.

tokkun

Patryn said:
Ok seriously, fuck Anor Londo. Still stuck on the roof with the first two archers. I even went and destroyed the Catacombs in the meantime (
Pinwheel went down so easily I thought it was a joke. 2 Great Chaos Fireballs and he was toast.
).

Two poison arrows in rapid succession will take out the archers.

Dommel

Today was a good day to die for the
moonlight butterfly, gaping dragon and that huge rat.

Felt so good, thought I could take on the whole world.

Until I got my ass handed to me at the beginning of Blighttown.

The real Dark Souls starts here...

Where exactly is the shortcut to Izalith in the Demon Ruins? I just beat Ceaseless Discharge and standing in front of a zone I can't enter. I'm in a gauntlet with a bunch of minor Capra Demons and minor Taurus Demons. Is the shortcut at the bottom near the lava?

Top Bottom