• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Wallachia

SUBZERO-08 said:
So I finally made my way to the bonfire in Darkroot Garden. And I have no idea where to go from here. There are two paths, one
with a bunch of giants who seem too strong for me
and another
with either an ice breathing dragon or a pretty strong knight along a downwards path.
Which is the generally recommended way?

If you have some ranged magic, go up the ruined tower, run past those giants. Also, there is a possessed tree in that Giants area.. The tree wriggles a bit at the roots. Attack it and open a cool secret path to some items :)

Interfectum

duckroll said:
Not at all. Fire Orb and Great Fireball are not really that useful imo. They're useful you want to do more damage in a single blow and don't mind the lower number of charges, but as a serious pyromancer, your bread and butter should be either normal Fireballs or Combustion/Great Combustion. If you join the Chaos Servant covenant you get the Great Chaos Fireball too, which is the strongest Pyromancy in the game.

Thanks. Yeah I got the Great Chaos Fireball as well. I'm loving the pyro stuff.

Tonza

Which should I go for next, New Londo ruins or Sen's Fortress? Im now SL 56 and just beat Sif and the catacombs boss. (though not the titanite demon)

sixghost

Tonza said:
Which should I go for next, New Londo ruins or Sen's Fortress? Im now SL 56 and just beat Sif and the catacombs boss. (though not the titanite demon)
That's the weirdest sequence of areas that I've seen. Why were you down in the Catacombs if you hadn't beaten Sen's yet? Go do that now, you're missing a huge turning point in the game, and I don't even think you can finish New Londo without going through Sen's first.

scosher

SUBZERO-08 said:
So I finally made my way to the bonfire in Darkroot Garden. And I have no idea where to go from here. There are two paths, one
with a bunch of giants who seem too strong for me
and another
down the Darkroot Basin with either an ice breathing dragon or a pretty strong knight along a downwards path.
Which is the generally recommended way?

Do you have pyro spells or upgraded your flame to at least +5 or so? The giants get owned pretty easily by fireballs/fire orbs

So for folks that are going for more DEX based builds, what weapon type do you find works best?

I'm still early in the game (just getting to
Gargoyles
now) and for the most part I'd been using a Scimitar. But just recently I started using the Winged Spear and it felt like the game was way easier with that. Before I had to do all sorts of rolling and dodging in and out to get my hits in, while with the spear I can just chill back and poke when needed. Are polearms just better or do they have some hidden drawbacks that I'm just not seeing yet?

scosher

TheFightingFish said:
So for folks that are going for more DEX based builds, what weapon type do you find works best?

I'm still early in the game (just getting to
Gargoyles
now) and for the most part I'd been using a Scimitar. But just recently I started using the Winged Spear and it felt like the game was way easier with that. Before I had to do all sorts of rolling and dodging in and out to get my hits in, while with the spear I can just chill back and poke when needed. Are polearms just better or do they have some hidden drawbacks that I'm just not seeing yet?

There's really no "best DEX weapon" as weapon is all about your personal pref. If you find the Winged Spear easier to use or more fit for your playstyle, roll with that. Might want to give the rapier/estoc a shot too as you can attack while holding your shield up with those too, and you might prefer their speed over the winged spear.

Darklord said:
.....too late.

Crap, sorry. Didn't realize what you were asking! Hope you didn't use the item at my response, I'd feel like a jerk.

Yea certain NPCs like the mute at the bottom of Firelink shrine are the only ones that reinforce your flasks. Really lame that the game lets you use them like an item.

Tonza

sixghost said:
That's the weirdest sequence of areas that I've seen. Why were you down in the Catacombs if you hadn't beaten Sen's yet? Go do that now, you're missing a huge turning point in the game, and I don't even think you can finish New Londo without going through Sen's first.

I just went to explore and see what was down in the catacombs and ended up beating the caster boss which was really easy. (and really the skeletons too)

I'll head to Sen's Fortress next then.

GJS

sixghost said:
Because you can play the game in any order you want really up until certain points and that's how it should be, if everyone played the game by this supposed correct order then no one would even know about the
golden fog gates

Finalow

is anyone here using scaling weapons? I would like to know if they are better than common weapons like the sword of quelaag.

duckroll

WEGGLES said:
Wait? What?

There's a toggle/switch exploit that allows people to basically use an item unlimited times automatically to get 999999999999 souls, or throw firebombs/daggers continuously at an amazing speed, or to use spells on equipment which shouldn't be possible, etc. They're fixing that.

WEGGLES

duckroll said:
There's a toggle/switch exploit that allows people to basically use an item unlimited times automatically to get 999999999999 souls, or throw firebombs/daggers continuously at an amazing speed, or to use spells on equipment which shouldn't be possible, etc. They're fixing that.
OHHHHHHHHHHH

I thought they were ADDING unlimited magic. I was thinking "son of a bitch, I just bought a second 'copy' of a spell I use a lot"

WEGGLES

Wallachia said:
Thanks. I just hope.. TUNING OF MATCHMAKING CONDITIONS.. means it will work better on NAT Type 3 :((
SUMMON FAILED SUMMON FAILED SUMMON FAILED

(I feel so bad for the people I've tried to summon who likely load into my game then it fails and have to load out :'( I don't feel bad for invaders that have that happen to them, though)

Wallachia

WEGGLES said:
SUMMON FAILED SUMMON FAILED SUMMON FAILED

(I feel so bad for the people I've tried to summon who likely load into my game then it fails and have to load out :'( I don't feel bad for invaders that have that happen to them, though)

Yeah man :( I want to go help people fight some bosses. and its such a trip how random the invasions and helpers come to my world.. once every 5 hours or something.

scosher

Wallachia said:
Thanks. I just hope.. TUNING OF MATCHMAKING CONDITIONS.. means it will work better on NAT Type 3 :((

I'm actually hoping it's more about expanding the range of level types you can party/invade, as it was in Demon's Souls.

Wallachia

scosher said:
I'm actually hoping it's more about expanding the range of level types you can party/invade, as it was in Demon's Souls.

That too. But imagine trying for HOURS to just co op with SOMEONE. Sux.

fushi

weekend_warrior said:
You want to give it to one of the NPCs that will boost your estus flasks, don't use it yourself.
Should be in the OP and bolded. I also used it and, of course, eventually managed to die and lose my Humanity points. Gah.

test_account

XP-39C²
Any tips on how to beat the
Bell Gargoyle
boss? I'm using a Pyromancer and i got soul arrows. It works ok with one of them, but as soon as the 2nd comes, i dont have a chance. It sucks that you stop and stand still when using magic. That is one things that keeps getting me killed there.

Also, how does coop work in this game? I placed my white soap stone down and waited, but nothing happened.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
test_account said:
Bell Gargoyle
boss? I'm using a Pyromancer and i got soul arrows. It works ok with one of them, but as soon as the 2nd comes, i dont have a chance. It sucks that you stop and stand still when using magic. That is one things that keeps getting me killed there.

Also, how does coop work in this game? I placed my white soap stone down and waited, but nothing happened.

thats the thing, MP is kinda busted, someone has to summon you.

Wallachia

test_account said:
Bell Gargoyle

If you have a melee weapon and get some Gold Pine Resin (Lightning) that helps alot. Or keep your distance and use ranged weaponry. Also, you could keep killing monsters in the area and level up more, to have more strength, endurance and defense.

Summoning.. So you need to be HUMAN to see summon signs from others, then you can have them come in your world and help. When YOU leave a Summon sign, that is for YOU to go help others, if they choose to bring you in.

Are you on PS3?

test_account

XP-39C²
g35twinturbo said:
thats the thing, MP is kinda busted, someone has to summon you.
Wallachia said:
Summoning.. So you need to be HUMAN to see summon signs from others, then you can have them come in your world and help. When YOU leave a Summon sign, that is for YOU to go help others, if they choose to bring you in.
Ah ok, i see. So i have to put down my soap stone and then wait until someone sees it and clicks on it? I guess that can take a while if waiting for a random person.

I once saw a summon sign on the ground, but when i clicked on it, i seemed to get to a player VS player fight. How do i tell the difference between invading worlds and summoning people for coop help?

How does the humanity thing actually works? I see in the top left corner that it usually says 00 or 01. What is required to be human?

I really want to make it on my own in single player, but if things gets too frustrating, i'm concidering asking for coop help.

Wallachia said:
If you have a melee weapon and get some Gold Pine Resin (Lightning) that helps alot. Or keep your distance and use ranged weaponry. Also, you could keep killing monsters in the area and level up more, to have more strength, endurance and defense.

Are you on PS3?
I have the axe that the Pyromancer starts with, but it isnt really that powerful. I guess that it does like 20 damage with light attack (a Soul Arrow in comparison does like 60 damage), so the bosses would require a lot of hits to use that weapon. I try to keep distance, but either the boss jumps on me, or when the 2nd boss appear, it seems impossible to keep distance. The flame/fire attack from the 2nd boss also keeps killing me then.

Yep, i'm on PS3 =)

Wallachia

Have you been 'Leveling Up' at bonfires?

So yeah, the 00 and 01.. that shows how much HUMANITY you. You USE Humantity, then go to a fire and select REVERSE HOLLOWING.. then you will be HUMAN and should be able to summon. Try that by the boss door. Let me know if it works.

Im on PS3 but my network isnt working too good (NAT Type 3) So I dont see alot of summons, and I CANT be summoned to help others..

test_account

XP-39C²
Wallachia said:
Have you been 'Leveling Up' at bonfires?

So yeah, the 00 and 01.. that shows how much HUMANITY you. You USE Humantity, then go to a fire and select REVERSE HOLLOWING.. then you will be HUMAN and should be able to summon. Try that by the boss door. Let me know if it works.

Im on PS3 but my network isnt working too good (NAT Type 3) So I dont see alot of summons, and I CANT be summoned to help others..
Yeah, i've leveled up maybe 6-7 times. I've focused most on Attunement to begin with, so i now got 3 magic slots instead of 1. I have also upgraded the Intelligence a few times, boosting the damage of the magic attacks. I've been concidering grinding a lot, but it takes so long time. I probably use like 20 minutes just to gather 1000 souls, which i think makes it really boring to grind :\

Also, is it possible to see how many souls you need for the next upgrade level? It just says "Reqsouls 0" if i dont have enough souls. In Demon's Souls it showed how many souls you needed for the next upgrade. I know aproximately how much souls i need though, but it would be nice to know exactly how many i need.

Oh, so if it says 01, i then need to go to the bonfire and chose Reverse Hollowing? I will try that the next time i play =)

I have hardly been in human form (since i didnt know about the Reverse Hollowing), so maybe that is why i havnt seen many summon signs.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
just need some general leveling advice...
I'm a wanderer soul level 17. I've heard as a melee character you should pick either strength or dexterity to level up, and I can't decide which. Right now they're both at 16 (so I could use the drake sword, which btw kinda makes the game a little too easy for a while). So yeah... Strength vs Dexterity? Pros/Cons? Is it mostly just weapon preference? Any other leveling advice?

Wallachia

gate777 said:
Recommendations as to where to head next after Undead Parish. I cleared the Boss pretty easily.

Go to the blacksmith, go explore Darkroot Garden for fun and souls. Did you beat the Capra Demon yet, in the lower parts of the Undead Burg?

A little help. I'm a lvl 30 Thief/Pyromancer, just got to the Blighttown boss and I got my ass handed to me. I have to say my class works wonders for everything except bosses. I got from the first Blighttown bonfire to the second without dying once, but the boss just owns me. I even used one of my Gold Pine Resins to help but yeesh. Any tips?

For reference, the only boss I've beaten, besides the ones that I had to beat to get to Blighttown anyway, is
Moonlight Butterfly
. Should I go back up through the water wheel area and do something else before trying to take her on? Or do I just have a tough battle ahead of me because of my class choices.

sixghost

Incendiary said:
A little help. I'm a lvl 30 Thief/Pyromancer, just got to the Blighttown boss and I got my ass handed to me. I have to say my class works wonders for everything except bosses. I got from the first Blighttown bonfire to the second without dying once, but the boss just owns me. I even used one of my Gold Pine Resins to help but yeesh. Any tips?

For reference, the only boss I've beaten, besides the ones that I had to beat to get to Blighttown anyway, is
Moonlight Butterfly
. Should I go back up through the water wheel area and do something else before trying to take her on? Or do I just have a tough battle ahead of me because of my class choices.
I played that exact class, and yeah get ready for some tough boss fights throughout the game. I got through most of the boss fights with lots of dodging and using my pyro spells.

You really need to focus on upgrading your pyro flame, and put some points into attunement because there are some boss fights where literally 100% of your damage will come from spells.

gate777

Wallachia said:
Go to the blacksmith, go explore Darkroot Garden for fun and souls. Did you beat the Capra Demon yet, in the lower parts of the Undead Burg?
I haven't beaten the Capra demon yet. How hard is that enemy under the stairs after the blacksmith? I think I'll try him next and then head on down to the depths after I farm some souls.

gate777 said:
I haven't beaten the Capra demon yet. How hard is that enemy under the stairs after the blacksmith? I think I'll try him next and then head on down to the depths after I farm some souls.
What is your soul level? If you want we can doubleteam the bitch. Im SL 18 PS3 waiting in front of his room hoping someone will drop a sign.

Wallachia

gate777 said:

Yeah he is tough, try to be SL 25 or higher. Be able to take out his 2 dogs quickstyle, then handle him by blocking, using the stairs, hit and run, hit and run, block, run, hit, block.. etc.

You can kill the Prowling Demon by the blacksmith.. but I don't remember what it yields you.. that creepy crawly bastard.

Lol, you should heed friend above and join forces.

gate777

24FrameDaVinci said:
What is your soul level? If you want we can doubleteam the bitch. Im SL 18 PS3 waiting in front of his room hoping someone will drop a sign.
lol, I'm PS3 as well but SL 26, probably too high.

Is Pharis
the cloaked ninja that keeps respawning in darkroot garden that melees me as I'm fighting the sorcerer? Or is Pharis further back?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have a question for people out there. Which blacksmith can upgrade my weapons/armor past +5? I've given the one guy two embers
The one by the butchers, and the one you find past the butterfly boss

Top Bottom