• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

InternHertz said:
Got a question on a hidden item in the Duke's Archives :
any way to get the chest on top of a bookshelf other than taking a leap of faith (or rather, fail in my case) while the staircase is moving ? Can't time this right, and every time it takes ages to clear out the way to retry.

I don't see any other way to get that but if someone knows a way I didn't think of, I'm all ears.
ah crap, if that what I think it is, it is a weapon called
Avelyn

Saw it in the guide and didn't know where it was located until you said where. I will have to try later.

Not sure what you can do, you could cast Fall Control and see if that helps but I'm not sure until I try it for myself.

EDIT: After reading around, it seems that is the only way to get the chest. Fall control is a no go apparently.

If I destroyed Gwyndolin, is there any reason strongly for or against killing Gwynevere?

Also, for trophy or achievement people -- even though the drake sword follows the dragon upgrade path, it does NOT count for the dragon upgrade weapon trophy/achievement. >_<

54-46!

I really want to roll with the Eastern armor set and a katana, it's a shame they've got pretty bad stats.. are they any good upgraded?

Currently using the Elite Knight +3 and/or Gold-hemmed armor with the Black Knight sword.

UrbanRats

corrosivefrost said:
For those interested in pyromancy, my personal favourites:

(1) Fire Orb -- if you can afford this, it's much better than Fireball. I carry 2x and use it to do most of my medium range combat.

(2) Great Fireball -- see above, but with more oomph -- when extra crispy is what you need... less uses, bigger projectile, more damage.

(3) Iron Flesh -- someone else covered this -- if I didn't have this and the 2 other spells, I never would've taken out the Anor Londo boss(es) on my own.

I've never used combustion/great combustion much, they're a bit closer range, which I'm okay with using straight melee for. The sweat one for reducing fire damage was good against the first boss in Demon Ruins. Firestorm is kind of fun, but it's unpredictable, so I don't use it that much. My new favorite is Fire Surge (found in painted world of aramais); it's basically a flamethrower -- works great for dealing with opponents when you're circling each other -- then when they stop to heal, you pop em with fire orb or great fireball. ;) Fireball isn't a bad jumping off point if you can't afford fire orb.

Beyond that, I have almost all the pyromancies, but I mainly stick to the three listed above.
Very helpful, thank you very much!

darkwing said:
he will be back
iz5ATWKA2HtV0.png

Patryn

UrbanRats said:
Just got into Pyromancy.
What are the best spells?
Is it wothed to take the low levels ones (such as firball, combustion) or should i wait and go with bigger stuff (great fireball, great combustion etc)?

Combustion is part of my bread and butter. It has the quickest activation time (like half a second) and can be really useful on certain enemies (such as the giants in Anor Londo or the mosquitoes in Blighttown).

It also has the greatest amount of ACTUAL charges. When it says 16, it means really 16 shots.

I'm in Anor Londo right now, and I roll with a set of Combustion, Great Combustion, Fireball, Fire Orb, and Great Chaos Fireball.

Cloudius12 said:
Not sure what you can do, you could cast Fall Control and see if that helps but I'm not sure until I try it for myself.

EDIT: After reading around, it seems that is the only way to get the chest. Fall control is a no go apparently.
I got it :
with a light armor, I placed the staircase at the right position then went to the crank. Cast great magic barrier to glitch it and be invincible (got there from the second bonfire so the archers are alive). Then I activated the crank, and "walked" immediately down the staircase, and dropped right on top of the bookshelf. By "walked" I mean that I went as fast as possible without sprinting, if you literally walk then you won't be in time with the movement of the mechanism

Interfectum

I'm a bit confused here... I told Laurentius (pyro trainer) about Blighttown and now he's left my camp. I wasn't finished buying all the pyro spells from him, does that mean I'm going to miss out on those specific spells? I know I can buy from the lady in blighttown but can I double up on those spells if I didn't buy from him too? For example, he sells a fireball, she sells a fireball. Lets say I didn't buy the fireball from him. Does that mean I only get one fireball now?

PTtidus

Neo Member
Is there an easier way to get back from Blighttown to the initial areas without going all the way back up?

I'm cursed and my weapon just broke, so I'm having some trouble going back.

Patryn

PTtidus said:
Is there an easier way to get back from Blighttown to the initial areas without going all the way back up?

I'm cursed and my weapon just broke, so I'm having some trouble going back.

If you get down to the swamp, by the boss, you'll see a waterwheel. You can take that up, climb a few areas, and you'll pop out in a cave in The Valley of the Drakes (make sure you either have the Master Key or you grab the key before you enter the cave... it's at the top, pretty much across from the top of the final ladder you climb). Get past three semi-tough guys (may be able to dash past them if you're careful), and you'll be in Londo Ruins. Take an elevator up, and you're at Firelink.

test_account

XP-39C²
meltingparappa said:
Best starting gift (IMHO) is the master's key, because it gives you more options on where to go if you get stuck, including easier access to bonfires through what are normally one way doors. Note that it doesn't open EVERY door, though, and it is entirely possible to go the wrong way and get destroyed by an enemy you shouldn't be facing yet.

Also the souls from dead bodies can be used at any time, I find that the best time to use them is when you happen to be at a bonfire or merchant and don't quite have enough souls to level up or buy the item you want. There's no reason to horde them if you're confident you won't die and lose them.

Also the description of that ring is inaccurate. It doesn't actually regenerate HP, it actually just gives you a +30 bonus, which gets useless after the first area. No gift is impossibly better than the rest though, so there's not a ton of pressure in choosing one. Also FYI the pendant apparently doesn't actually do anything, and any notes to the contrary are just rumors from before the game came out.
Thanks! :)

I've started a new game with the Pyromancer now and it seems to work great. But where is the 2nd merchant? I found Griggs of Vinland (or something like that), and i also found the first merchant, but he didnt sell any magic. I got 30 souls arrows now, but how do i get 60? Is it further in the game? If it is please dont say any spoilers :)

Ken

test_account said:
Thanks! :)

I've started a new game with the Pyromancer now and it seems to work great. But where is the 2nd merchant? I found Griggs of Vinland (or something like that), and i also found the first merchant, but he didnt sell any magic. I got 30 souls arrows now, but how do i get 60? Is it further in the game? If it is please dont say any spoilers :)
Don't you just buy a second Soul Arrow and slot it into a second attunement slot?

I'm not a caster so hopefully someone who is can chime in with a more confident answer.

duckroll

Interfectum said:
I'm a bit confused here... I told Laurentius (pyro trainer) about Blighttown and now he's left my camp. I wasn't finished buying all the pyro spells from him, does that mean I'm going to miss out on those specific spells? I know I can buy from the lady in blighttown but can I double up on those spells if I didn't buy from him too? For example, he sells a fireball, she sells a fireball. Lets say I didn't buy the fireball from him. Does that mean I only get one fireball now?

Yeah I think you're screwed out of those if you told him about the Great Chaos Fireball you got. Sorry! Knowledge truly is the undoing of all men. :(

Soulhouf

I am looking for a good spear to go with as my main weapon. I've just rang the second bell and got the Demon's Spear.
So is this spear worth upgrading or should I wait to get/build one more powerful?

Interfectum

duckroll said:
Yeah I think you're screwed out of those if you told him about the Great Chaos Fireball you got. Sorry! Knowledge truly is the undoing of all men. :(

I missed out on a fire orb (I believe I can get another from the chick) and flesh sweat. Should I be stressing over those?

taku

Alright peeps,

I've got a Q. I freed
Lautrec and then fought the gargoyle boss, went to Firelink Shrine, and there he was. But when I try to speak with him, his only reply is "he, you again? what is it? Our futures are murky. Let's not be too friendly now". The wiki says that he will mutter this if you decline an offer he makes but I have never spoken with him before (well once, when I freed him from that cell).

What do I need to do?

Patryn

Soulhouf said:
I am looking for a good spear to go with as my main weapon. I've just rang the second bell and got the Demon's Spear.
So is this spear worth upgrading or should I wait to get/build one more powerful?

In Sen's Fortress you can find a lightning spear which is better (I believe).

kodt

Banned
taku said:
Alright peeps,

I've got a Q. I freed
Lautrec and then fought the gargoyle boss, went to Firelink Shrine, and there he was. But when I try to speak with him, his only reply is "he, you again? what is it? Our futures are murky. Let's not be too friendly now". The wiki says that he will mutter this if you decline an offer he makes but I have never spoken with him before (well once, when I freed him from that cell).

What do I need to do?

Doesn't matter, if you talk to him he just charges you souls for a tip. I think it is more of a story related tip. Here it is if you want it:
Lady Thorolund went into The Catacombs, but was stranded and separated from her followers. She is now alone in The Catacombs.

Later on he will leave on his own no matter what. (unless you kill him).
he kills the firekeeper near firelink and the bonfire goes out, you get an item from the firekeepers soul that allows you to invade his game when prompted in Anor Londo. After you kill him you get her soul back and you can revive her

EasyMode

Soulhouf said:
Isn't this basically a normal spear which is ascended to lightning spear?
Yes it is, but it's very powerful. Plus by the time you get it you should have some titanite chunks to make it even stronger.

IronRinn

So I made it through The Depths yesterday and got to the
Gaping Dragon
the first time I summoned Solare but I still got crushed. Second time I was doing ok but then started getting hit by something. See a blue flash coming in from above and look up to see a caster all the way up on the top level. Is this normal? Nothing I could find says anything about enemies in this room. The guide even makes a point of saying this.

IronRinn said:
Gaping Dragon
the first time I summoned Solare but I still got crushed. Second time I was doing ok but then started getting hit by something. See a blue flash coming in from above and look up to see a caster all the way up on the top level. Is this normal? Nothing I could find says anything about enemies in this room. The guide even makes a point of saying this.

There's a necromancer on a balcony above where you fight the Gaping Dragon, need to find and kill him first. He's on one of the higher levels but doesn't respawn

sixghost

IronRinn said:
Gaping Dragon
wrong and beaten.

Soulhouf

EasyMode said:
Yes it is, but it's very powerful. Plus by the time you get it you should have some titanite chunks to make it even stronger.
I see. Thank you.
So what I have to do is get the best "normal" spear and upgrade it to a lightning one.
I checked the wiki list and they state a Silver Knight Spear. Can I upgrade this one to a lightning version?

IronRinn

heliconsoul said:
There's a necromancer on a balcony above where you fight the Gaping Dragon, need to find and kill him first. He's on one of the higher levels but doesn't respawn

Gotcha, thanks. Gonna take of that jerk.

Before I hit up Blighttown I want to farm more purple moss. Earlier in the game I happened upon an area with tree-people (Treants?) that commonly drop the stuff, but I forgot how I got there. How do get there from the Firelink Shrine?

EasyMode

Soulhouf said:
I see. Thank you.
So what I have to do is get the best "normal" spear and upgrade it to a lightning one.
I checked the wiki list and they state a Silver Knight Spear. Can I upgrade this one to a lightning version?
According to the wiki you can. You'll have to upgrade it to +10 and then modify to lightning at the Anor Londo blacksmith.

_dementia said:
Before I hit up Blighttown I want to farm more purple moss. Earlier in the game I happened upon an area with tree-people (Treants?) that commonly drop the stuff, but I forgot how I got there. How do get there from the Firelink Shrine?
Take the elevator to the church and head to blacksmith Andrei. Then take the stairs near him into the forest area. There's also an undead merchant who sells them for 500 souls in the water tunnel connecting Firelink and Undead Burg, assuming you've unlocked the door.

WEGGLES

_dementia said:
It's by the door that costs 20k to open, if you know where that is. Darkroot garden.

If not.

Do you have the elevator that goes up to the undead burg open in firelink? If so take that, go straight out to the area with the long bridge that leads to where the one blacksmith and bonfire are. If you head out from the level the blacksmith is on, you'll go through a big room then reach the forest area. Go along the path, don't make any turns or anything and you'll reach the door that requires the 20k soul key to open. Beside it, to the left, hit the wall to reveal a bonfire. Then go down the path to the right of the big door and there will be a little area to your right with 3 of them in it. Thats where I farmed a ton of the mosses.

Patryn

_dementia said:

I really advise you do this. You especially want to farm blooming purple moss, which cures toxicity. The Treants drop those as well, it's just a rarer drop. That should help you (along with the Spider Shield) get past the blowdart guys.

duckroll

Interfectum said:
I missed out on a fire orb (I believe I can get another from the chick) and flesh sweat. Should I be stressing over those?

Not at all. Fire Orb and Great Fireball are not really that useful imo. They're useful you want to do more damage in a single blow and don't mind the lower number of charges, but as a serious pyromancer, your bread and butter should be either normal Fireballs or Combustion/Great Combustion. If you join the Chaos Servant covenant you get the Great Chaos Fireball too, which is the strongest Pyromancy in the game.

EasyMode

Also before heading into Blighttown, you might want to equip the theif's outfit if you've found it in the
lower Undead Burg
. It has higher poison resistance.

scosher

Got the strategy guide the other day and interesting note--

For light armors, Tattered Cloth set (Pyro starter) at +10 easily reigns supreme over all others, including Gold-Hemmed Black Robes (can't upgrade so it actually sucks down the road), and Crimson set.

Wanderer set at +10 comes at a close second, but sacrifices some fire defense for slight improvement to phys and lightning defense. However, the Pyro set also weighs less (important since the whole point of light armors is to keep under 25% roll speed) and has significantly better poison resists. Course, Wanderer > Tattered Cloth in the looks department, so if that's important to you, and you can handle the extra weight of the Wanderer set, go for it. Extra poison resist is nice, but not common in PvP, and can be dealt with in PvE/Blighttown.

If you want to mix and match though, the Antiquated Skirt at +5 is probably the single best individual light armor piece. 62 phys defense, 88 magic, 26 fire, 81 lightning, 51 bleed/poison resists, 99 curse resist...at 3 weight. These are better stats than a lot of heavy armors (minus the 0 poise, but if you're going light armor, you can't really accumulate this stat anyway). Only problem -- only really looks good on a female toon, unless you don't mind wearing a skirt on your male.

Dinged Robe +10 from Anastacia is pretty strong too, but since the Antiquated Skirt's one drawback is low fire def, you're better off upgrading armor that supports it (again, Tattered Cloth has best fire def of all light armors, and Wanderer's set comes in second).

Trevelyon

Um, there's this item in
Ashwood Lake, in a hollowed out tree just before the dragon covenant. It's up on a ring of mushrooms, I've been trying to jump off a nearby ledge and get up onto them, but I just can't, is there a method, an illusionary wall or a vine that'll take me up there?

Edit; nvm, a little msg popped up just outside the area, and edged myself onto the adjoining platform and into the secret passage (tricky!)

taku

kodt said:
Doesn't matter, if you talk to him he just charges you souls for a tip. I think it is more of a story related tip. Here it is if you want it:
Lady Thorolund went into The Catacombs, but was stranded and separated from her followers. She is now alone in The Catacombs.

Later on he will leave on his own no matter what. (unless you kill him).
he kills the firekeeper near firelink and the bonfire goes out, you get an item from the firekeepers soul that allows you to invade his game when prompted in Anor Londo. After you kill him you get her soul back and you can revive her
What, but I thought he would sell me pyro spells before that :'(
Who's the first pyro trainer then?

So is there a weapon that scales to STR that isn't slow as hell? Something between the longsword and the zweihander would be clutch. trying to find something to upgrade besides my halberd. Leaning towards the battle axe right now.

scosher said:
Got the strategy guide the other day and interesting note--

For light armors, Tattered Cloth set (Pyro starter) at +10 easily reigns supreme over all others, including Gold-Hemmed Black Robes (can't upgrade so it actually sucks down the road), and Crimson set.

Wanderer set at +10 comes at a close second, but sacrifices some fire defense for slight improvement to phys and lightning defense. However, the Pyro set also weighs less (important since the whole point of light armors is to keep under 25% roll speed) and has significantly better poison resists. Course, Wanderer > Tattered Cloth in the looks department, so if that's important to you, and you can handle the extra weight of the Wanderer set, go for it. Extra poison resist is nice, but not common in PvP, and can be dealt with in PvE/Blighttown.

If you want to mix and match though, the Antiquated Skirt at +5 is probably the single best individual light armor piece. 62 phys defense, 88 magic, 26 fire, 81 lightning, 51 bleed/poison resists, 99 curse resist...at 3 weight. These are better stats than a lot of heavy armors (minus the 0 poise, but if you're going light armor, you can't really accumulate this stat anyway). Only problem -- only really looks good on a female toon, unless you don't mind wearing a skirt on your male.

Dinged Robe +10 from Anastacia is pretty strong too, but since the Antiquated Skirt's one drawback is low fire def, you're better off upgrading armor that supports it (again, Tattered Cloth has best fire def of all light armors, and Wanderer's set comes in second).

Awesome. I knew there was an armor set worth upgrading past the gold hemmed set. I'm not too concerned about looks so I'm probably going to go with this set but the antiquated skirt.

scosher

Sir Garbageman said:
So is there a weapon that scales to STR that isn't slow as hell? Something between the longsword and the zweihander would be clutch. trying to find something to upgrade besides my halberd. Leaning towards the battle axe right now.

There doesn't seem to be too many weapons that scale with Str. It's more about access to using the ultra heavy weapons. Longsword for example scales at C/C with Str/Dex. Upcoming patch notes suggest though that stat scaling will be improved.

Alternatively, if you want weapons smaller than a longsword that scale with Str, you could go for the Dragon Bone Fist demon weapon (+10 any fist weapon, then use the Iron Golem's soul). It scales at A rank with Str, and has a special R2 attack as an uppercut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPBHeSjZSOc

Clubs/Maces also have A or B scaling with Str.

Duress

So I just rolled in to a hollow in a barrel and he just dropped dead. Does he have something I'm not aware of? He just dropped dead.

taku

Duress said:
So I just rolled in to a hollow in a barrel and he just dropped dead. Does he have something I'm not aware of? He just dropped dead.
The dude in the church? He was most definitely already dead..

johntown

Banned
How do I get that chest in Anor Londo in the begining when you are walking on the rafters?

I have tried to jump for it twice but I keep coming up short.

elty

EasyMode said:

Ughhh.... I just upgrade my winged spear to +10 to anticipate the upgrade to lightening... so I just wasted an hour of farming large shard to make something that I can get for free later on? Should have made a fire one instead :(.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ken said:
Don't you just buy a second Soul Arrow and slot it into a second attunement slot?

I'm not a caster so hopefully someone who is can chime in with a more confident answer.
Oh, that might be how indeed :) I just wondered since he mentioned 2 merchants earlier, so i assumed that one of them sold an increased/upgrade amount of Soul Arrows. But you do need to find the first merchant to be able to find the 2nd one though, so maybe that is what he ment.

So I finally made my way to the bonfire in Darkroot Garden. And I have no idea where to go from here. There are two paths, one
with a bunch of giants who seem too strong for me
and another
down the Darkroot Basin with either an ice breathing dragon or a pretty strong knight along a downwards path.
Which is the generally recommended way?

Wallachia

OK, so I finally was able to do 2 summons for people to come help me with some bosses, as well as me being invaded once. I am on NAT Type 3 (PS3). Does this mean FROM already fixed something? Or are any other NAT Type 3 people on here able to co-op/invade?

And I assume NAT Type 3 is what blocks you from NOT being able to be summoned to help others? I have laid down my sign countless times, to know avail. How long does it usually take you guys to be summoned after leaving your sign?

I'm confused. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom