• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

spwbym

Neo Member
I shot the red dragon on the bridge from the tower with the knight on it near the boar. After I hit it the dragon jumped on the bridge and disappeared, I start walking away and got 10k souls.

scosher said:
Do you have pyro spells or upgraded your flame to at least +5 or so? The giants get owned pretty easily by fireballs/fire orbs
Yeah, I'm a Pyromancer. Does upgrading the glove make your fire magic stronger? I thought I read someone say that it only makes punching stronger.

gate777 said:
I haven't beaten the Capra demon yet. How hard is that enemy under the stairs after the blacksmith? I think I'll try him next and then head on down to the depths after I farm some souls.

You can just run past him and explore Dark Roots if you want.

RiccochetJ said:
I have a question for people out there. Which blacksmith can upgrade my weapons/armor past +5? I've given the one guy two embers
The one by the butchers, and the one you find past the butterfly boss

The blacksmith that you gave the Large Ember
thats the butcher one
to. Go to the 'modify weapon' option in the dialogue box to ascend past +5

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a guide somewhere with an easy to understand explanation of how upgrading weapons and armor works? What does +1 mean, etc?

I've got that awesome looking hardcover guide book on back order from Amazon, but who knows when that will show up.

sixghost

Zefah said:
Is there a guide somewhere with an easy to understand explanation of how upgrading weapons and armor works? What does +1 mean, etc?

I've got that awesome looking hardcover guide book on back order from Amazon, but who knows when that will show up.
I'll do my best to explain it, give me a second though.

Your very first upgrade path with most weapons will be Normal+1-5. You'll need somewhere between 1 and 3 titanite shards to advance your weapon/armor each level. Doing this raises the attack power of the weapon. You can buy these from the Undead Parish blacksmith for 800 souls, or find them randomly from most enemies.

Once you get to +5, which is the end of the first upgrade tier, you need to "ascend" your weapon. To do this you need to find things called "_____ Embers" such as Large Ember, Divine Ember, etc.

Each ember will essentially send your weapon down a specific upgrade path. Large ember will open the Normal +5-10 path, Divine Ember down the Divine +1-5 path, etc. This tier of upgrades requies Large Titanite shards, which can be bought from the Merchant in Sen's Fortress, or found as loot.

This process happens again once you max out the 2nd tier, forcing you to ascend again.

Hopefully that's clear enough.

Posted this in the OT, but I guess this thread is probably the more appropriate place...

Got a question for everyone here, after reading a lot of discussion about weapons/elemental attributes/and scaling.

My character is a beast. My current STR is about 73 and my Dex is around 73, as well. I primarily use a Black Knight Halbred+5. But, I want to experiment with some new stuff and possibly give some elemental weapons a try. Is my level too high to really see any true results, though, that would be above what I have now? On regular enemies I'm dishing out close to 500 per shot, and with bosses I clock in around 250-350.

Any advice is appreciated!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sixghost said:
I'll do my best to explain it, give me a second though.

Your very first upgrade path with most weapons will be Normal+1-5. You'll need somewhere between 1 and 3 titanite shards to advance your weapon/armor each level. Doing this raises the attack power of the weapon. You can buy these from the Undead Parish blacksmith for 800 souls, or find them randomly from most enemies.

Once you get to +5, which is the end of the first upgrade tier, you need to "ascend" your weapon. To do this you need to find things called "_____ Embers" such as Large Ember, Divine Ember, etc.

Each ember will essentially send your weapon down a specific upgrade path. Large ember will open the Normal +5-10 path, Divine Ember down the Divine +1-5 path, etc. This tier of upgrades requies Large Titanite shards, which can be bought from the Merchant in Sen's Fortress, or found as loot.

This process happens again once you max out the 2nd tier, forcing you to ascend again.

Hopefully that's clear enough.

Ah, that does make sense. Thanks so much! I already gave the ember from the Capra Demon to the Blacksmith at the bottom of the Undead Parish. Can I only upgrade one weapon beyond +5 with the ember, or does it unlock that ability for all of my weapons?

What's the difference between normal, divine, etc?

Giard

Hello, newbie here...

I was wondering what an Illusory wall was. A lot of messages are pointing to one, but I can't seem to do anything with the wall. I'm close to
a sniper tower near the beginning of the game, after escaping from the asylum. I had to kill 3 skeletons and the sniper in the tower to get here. If I go down some stairs there's a knight too strong for me to beat.

I'm hitting it, nothing's happening. What do I have to do?
Also, is there another way to jump besides running and tapping B/circle?

Giard said:
Hello, newbie here...

I was wondering what an Illusory wall was. A lot of messages are pointing to one, but I can't seem to do anything with the wall. I'm close to
a sniper tower near the beginning of the game, after escaping from the asylum. I had to kill 3 skeletons and the sniper in the tower to get here. If I go down some stairs there's a knight too strong for me to beat.

I'm hitting it, nothing's happening. What do I have to do?
Also, is there another way to jump besides running and tapping B/circle?

Usually, you just need to run through the wall. It's basically just a false wall with a passageway behind it. Pretty sure, though, there aren't any illusory walls near you in that level - could just be another player who put down a fake hint to get folks stuck.

Giard

KoreanBarbecue said:
Usually, you just need to run through the wall. It's basically just a false wall with a passageway behind it. Pretty sure, though, there aren't any illusory walls near you in that level - could just be another player who put down a fake hint to get folks stuck.

Thanks!

KoreanBarbecue said:

I thought you had to hit them?

That's what I had to do to one in Dark Forrest or whatever it's called.

DualShadow said:
I thought you had to hit them?

That's what I had to do to one in Dark Forrest or whatever it's called.

I used to think so, too. But I know 100% that there's on in the New Londo Ruins that I just ran right through with no weapon hit beforehand.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
weekend_warrior said:
The blacksmith that you gave the Large Ember
thats the butcher one
to. Go to the 'modify weapon' option in the dialogue box to ascend past +5
That's the weird part. I gave it to him, but I'm not seeing any weapons or armor to upgrade past +5 :(

elty

RiccochetJ said:
That's the weird part. I gave it to him, but I'm not seeing any weapons or armor to upgrade past +5 :(
You need to click modify weapon first, which give you the option to upgrade to +6 or magic, fire, raw, or divine weapon.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
elty said:
You need to click modify weapon first, which give you the option to upgrade to +6 or magic, fire, raw, or divine weapon.
OH MOTHER FU...

First menu option... staring me right in the face. My eyes were always focusing on the 'reinforce' part of the menu. God damn I feel like an idiot right now.

KoreanBarbecue said:
I used to think so, too. But I know 100% that there's on in the New Londo Ruins that I just ran right through with no weapon hit beforehand.

Ok cool, is there any special indicator to find these walls, the only 1 I've found looked normal.

Whoever you were, thank you for helping me finally kill Quelaag tonight.. I have always relied on the kindness of strange phantom mage builds

sixghost

Zefah said:
Ah, that does make sense. Thanks so much! I already gave the ember from the Capra Demon to the Blacksmith at the bottom of the Undead Parish. Can I only upgrade one weapon beyond +5 with the ember, or does it unlock that ability for all of my weapons?

What's the difference between normal, divine, etc?
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgrade
KoreanBarbecue said:
Posted this in the OT, but I guess this thread is probably the more appropriate place...

Got a question for everyone here, after reading a lot of discussion about weapons/elemental attributes/and scaling.

My character is a beast. My current STR is about 73 and my Dex is around 73, as well. I primarily use a Black Knight Halbred+5. But, I want to experiment with some new stuff and possibly give some elemental weapons a try. Is my level too high to really see any true results, though, that would be above what I have now? On regular enemies I'm dishing out close to 500 per shot, and with bosses I clock in around 250-350.

Any advice is appreciated!
I'm not sure what the scaling rank of that weapon is, but at 73 in STR/DEX, I'd wager that switching it to a lightning+5 would be a downgrade. If not, STR/DEX scaling is much worse than I thought.

Sotha Sil

Okay, might be a common thing, but I just gained humanity in-game with my pyromancer... Is that a common thing? I was fighting an enemy, he died, and boom, +1 humanity.

This game never ceases to surprise me.

Sotha Sil said:
Okay, might be a common thing, but I just gained humanity in-game with my pyromancer... Is that a common thing? I was fighting an enemy, he died, and boom, +1 humanity.

This game never ceases to surprise me.

It's probably not directly because of the kill itself. I've gained humanity several times while idle or out of combat.

Many theories out there to explain those random triggers (time played, souls acquired, another player's using/offering humanity...) but I don't think there's a definite answer yet.

SUBZERO-08 said:
Yeah, I'm a Pyromancer. Does upgrading the glove make your fire magic stronger? I thought I read someone say that it only makes punching stronger.

Laurentius can upgrade it to +15

Not sure about the other Pyromancers.

IrishNinja

GODDAMMIT.

wasted like an hour trying to get the Iaito - i know the location, can't make the leap! i watched a handful of YT vids as well; even stripped down, i can't get that kinda air - i just fall in front of it and either perish or land on the bridge below, half-dead.

i'm holding circle to get a bit of momentum, then tapping forward + L2 for the leap, but it doesnt clear the distance, regardless of what angle i jump from (left, right, or off the small plank slightly stand out). how do you do this?

I'll try to make it quick :

I went to duke archive, met Seath in a room, got pwned, ent to jail, got out, now in the archives I found a passage to a forrest ad a crystal cave : Is it the god path or shoud I go back to seath ? Did he move to the crystal cavern ? Kinda confused here.

Trevelyon

is there a
warp
bonfire near or after
Nito
and how many bonfires total are in the Tomb of the Giants?

I have two so far, one near
Patches
and another a little further down, then there's a long stretch to Nito's lair that's been tripping me up.

tokkun

IrishNinja said:
GODDAMMIT.

wasted like an hour trying to get the Iaito - i know the location, can't make the leap! i watched a handful of YT vids as well; even stripped down, i can't get that kinda air - i just fall in front of it and either perish or land on the bridge below, half-dead.

i'm holding circle to get a bit of momentum, then tapping forward + L2 for the leap, but it doesnt clear the distance, regardless of what angle i jump from (left, right, or off the small plank slightly stand out). how do you do this?

Don't jump using the jumping attack.

Hold circle to run, then quickly release and tap it again to jump.

scosher

IrishNinja said:
GODDAMMIT.

Haha, yeah, you're doing it wrong. It's strange that the tutorial/intro doesn't teach the running jump. But you have to hold O to start dashing, and then tap O again to jump.

Akkad

Banned
JonStark said:
I'll try to make it quick :

I went to duke archive, met Seath in a room, got pwned, ent to jail, got out, now in the archives I found a passage to a forrest ad a crystal cave : Is it the god path or shoud I go back to seath ? Did he move to the crystal cavern ? Kinda confused here.

Yeah, he is there.

ShaneB

24FrameDaVinci said:
Im at the bonfire near the gargoyles, SL 24...anyone wanna kill these bastards or want to help me out? PS3 version.

This is when I love and hate these games, lol. Been stuff on that boss as well, and was listening to the latest GamersWithJobs podcast and they discuss co-op in Dark Souls.

It hits me then too, well damn, why don't I just summon help and get through it that way.

I kinda wish it had an in game journal as well, I mean I've met a bunch of people it games, and thinks are so obtuse at times, it all gets forgotten so quick, names go by quickly and I forget a lot of stuff. I know the wikis are there, but eh... ah well, minor complaint I guess, I knew what I was getting into!

Also around that gargoyle area a question, the guy in the cage, the message said try attacking. I don't really need an explanation, just a simple yes or no if the guy is good or bad.

I'm ragins so much !

Upgraded Baldr Shield to +10 to get artorias shield, but it seems it doesn't work with that shield ??

Can anyone tell my wich shiel to use ? thanks !

Soulhouf

Are there any equipment equivalent to the Old King set in Demon's Souls? (zero handicap on stamina regen + good protection + a ring that increases stamina regen).

Akkad

Banned
JonStark said:
I'm ragins so much !

Upgraded Baldr Shield to +10 to get artorias shield, but it seems it doesn't work with that shield ??

Can anyone tell my wich shiel to use ? thanks !

According to the guide it should work. Are you taking it to the right blacksmith.

EasyMode

Soulhouf said:
Are there any equipment equivalent to the Old King set in Demon's Souls? (zero handicap on stamina regen + good protection + a ring that increases stamina regen).
I'm not sure about the armor, but the
Cloranthy Ring found in the Great Hollow boosts stamina regeneration. There's also the Grass Crest shield which also regens stamina slightly, and apparently stacks with the ring.

My own question is: does this game have an equivalent to the Morion Blade in Demon's Souls?

Darklord

Banned
Aside from being able to do more stuff online like having players enter your world is there any other reason to take human form? Like if I can 1 humanity should I use it to turn human?

I beat Anor Londo and killed Ceaseless Discharge. Is there a reason to go to Catacombs or New Londo first, or should I just choose one or the other?

ShaneB said:
Knew i'd open a can of worms. Bad how?

He will
kill someone. If you let him do that, you can fight him later in the game and get his armor and some humanity. If you don't you get humanity and a ring I think.

Baha

I guess I'll repost my question here since the OT is moving too fast:

Question regarding Warrior of Sunlight for you NG+ players out there, if you did co-op in your first playthrough, does that count for NG+ or do you have to meet the requirements again? Also, kinda spoilerish but also related to that same covenant:
After giving ten medal, I hear you are given a choice between 2 spells (one dependent on you having a soul to trade for). Does this mean you need 20 medals (10 per run) if you're going for a platinum? Or can you get both spells in NG+?

ShaneB

prodystopian said:
He will
kill someone. If you let him do that, you can fight him later in the game and get his armor and some humanity. If you don't you get humanity and a ring I think.

Thanks
And I'm glad you didn't say any names. I figured he was basically another Yurt. Makes me curious, but I have no idea who most people are just yet, so who knows. I guess it's a case of the armour being much better than the ring

Top Bottom