• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

timmy

Am I missing something, or is there not much in the way of gear progression for light armor wearers/dexterity characters? I just defeated Quelaag (at soul level 40), and I'm still sporting my wanderer armor and scimitar (upgraded, of course). I've been trying to stay under the 25% equipment burden, which is probably the reason. Am I doin' it wrong?

UrbanRats

timmy said:
Am I missing something, or is there not much in the way of gear progression for light armor wearers/dexterity characters? I just defeated Quelaag (at soul level 40), and I'm still sporting my wanderer armor and scimitar (upgraded, of course). I've been trying to stay under the 25% equipment burden, which is probably the reason. Am I doin' it wrong?
Go to Ceaseless discharge, take his armor, never look back (kidding, but it's a really amazing armor and it doesn't weight much).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
JonStark said:
DAMN 4 KINGS !

Any tip ?

Play the exact opposite way the game has trained you to play up to this point. Basically, two-hand your weapon, put on some strong armor, and just run up and mash R1 until each King dies. You can't be cautious in this fight. It's all about out-damaging them before the others show up.

Seraphis Cain said:
Play the exact opposite way the game has trained you to play up to this point. Basically, two-hand your weapon, put on some strong armor, and just run up and mash R1 until each King dies. You can't be cautious in this fight. It's all about out-damaging them before the others show up.

Damn, I tried this but they still pop up before I can kill one. Then it's party time :(

Any weapon suggestion ? My lightening spear defaults me in this fight :(

If I kindle a bonfire, does so I can cary 15 estus, does it last if I die ?

WAIT, there's something wring : I killed TWO of them, and during the 3rd fight, I noticed they were still 4 ! wtf ?

UrbanRats

Where do i find fire keeper souls?
I found the first one in the church's altar, and got my +1 Estus flask, but i'm in Anor Londo now and still haven't found a 2nd fire keeper soul. :\
Do i have to kill fire keepers? Or can i find them around?

Lombax

Banned
posted this in OT 3 but this may be a better place for this question.

Questions about upgrading weapons and using boss souls:

So last night I finished the boss fight in Anor Londo, and found the blacksmith. I thought this was the blacksmith that allowed you to use souls from other bosses to forge new weapons however I dont see any option to do so on his menu.

Now my big questions are:
1. I understand how to get a weapon to +5 on its own but after that it seems the only option I have is to bring it up to "Raw" how do I get a weapon to +10 to meet the requirements for creating a boss soul weapon? I have check both blacksmiths that I have found [Anor Londo and the one by the bonfire near Sen's Fortress]

2. I remember giving an ember to the blacksmith to the blacksmith near sens fortress what did this do for me? Is he now the only one who can create boss weapons? or should I have given it to the Giant Blacksmith?

I kind of just confused at this point and don not understand how to get a weapon to plus 10 and then who I should bring a boss souls to in order to forge a weapon.

scosher

Lombax said:

So last night I finished the boss fight in Anor Londo, and found the blacksmith. I thought this was the blacksmith that allowed you to use souls from other bosses to forge new weapons however I dont see any option to do so on his menu.

1. I understand how to get a weapon to +5 on its own but after that it seems the only option I have is to bring it up to "Raw" how do I get a weapon to +10 to meet the requirements for creating a boss soul weapon? I have check both blacksmiths that I have found [Anor Londo and the one by the bonfire near Sen's Fortress]

2. I remember giving an ember to the blacksmith to the blacksmith near sens fortress what did this do for me? Is he now the only one who can create boss weapons? or should I have given it to the Giant Blacksmith?

I kind of just confused at this point and don not understand how to get a weapon to plus 10 and then who I should bring a boss souls to in order to forge a weapon.

1. To upgrade from normal +5 weapons to normal +10 weapons, you need to give a Large Ember to a blacksmith. I'm almost positive that only certain blacksmiths will accept certain embers, so it's not like you can pick and choose who to give the Ember too. For the Large Ember, only the blacksmith in the Undead Parish accepts it.

2. See 1. He's the guy who can now upgrade your weapons to +10. Go back to him, go to Modify Weapon to ascend a +5 weapon to +6. As soon as you do that, the weapon will go back to your "Reinforce Weapon" menu until it reaches +10, at which point, you need to ascend it again with the proper blacksmith and ember, to either +15 Normal, Lightning, Crystal, or a Boss Soul weapon.

Put simply: Go back to Undead Parish blacksmith who you gave Large Ember to -> Ascend +5 weapon to +6 -> Upgrade weapon to +10 (can be done at any BS or at bonfire) with large titanite shards-> Go back to Anor Londo blacksmith -> Ascend to your special demon weapon -> Use demon titanite to upgrade that to +5.

scosher

Ken said:
How do I upgrade my pyromancy flame?

Pyromancer trainers can upgrade it. You'll find the first one
trapped in a barrel in the Depths. Roll into the barrel to break him free, don't attack it with weapon or you'll make the NPC go hostile. He'll then say thanks and next time you go to Firelink Shrine, he'll be chilling there.

EasyMode

JonStark said:
If I kindle a bonfire, does so I can cary 15 estus, does it last if I die ?

WAIT, there's something wring : I killed TWO of them, and during the 3rd fight, I noticed they were still 4 ! wtf ?
I noticed more of them when I was down to the last one. Don't worry, just go by the health bar at the bottom. For that fight I used Havel's armor and Iron Flesh (pyro spell) and just went to town on them.

Not sure about the 15 estus, but if you kindle to 10 it lasts if you die, so I don't see why it should be any different.

EasyMode

UrbanRats said:
Where do i find fire keeper souls?
I found the first one in the church's altar, and got my +1 Estus flask, but i'm in Anor Londo now and still haven't found a 2nd fire keeper soul. :\
Do i have to kill fire keepers? Or can i find them around?
You missed one in
Blighttown. It's close to the Valley of Drakes entrance, in the area with the toxic dart shooters and flamethrowing dogs.

And you can kill a keeper for her soul but her bonfire will go out.

Sniper McBlaze said:
This game is so fucking cheap. I'm stuck in the swamp in Blighttown with all my best weapons broken. Now I need to go back somehow to the weaponsmith in Undead Burg, but it's fucking impossible with all the poison and all those flies... How I HATE those flies. Blighttown would be easy without them. Where to they fucking come from by the way? Atleast give me some souls when I kill them!

Anyway... Should I just restart a new character? This sucks.

Did you find the whip in blight town? It's a great weapon to use against the mosquitoes, just switch it out when you encounter any other monsters.

Do you have the repairbox so you can repair weapons at a bonfire? If so, eat some of those generic souls sitting in your inventory to get some souls. Otherwise, grind souls on the firebugs around there; if you curl towards the right from that bonfire you should be able to take out 3 easily within a minute or two before the mosquitos get to you.

Otherwise, I would just recommend getting the hell outta dodge. Go to the right and up the waterwheel. If you can't fight the fatties at the top, just unequip enough armor to get below 25% equip burden and run past them.

tc farks

scosher said:
Pyromancer trainers can upgrade it. You'll find the first one
trapped in a barrel in the Depths. Roll into the barrel to break him free, don't attack it with weapon or you'll make the NPC go hostile. He'll then say thanks and next time you go to Firelink Shrine, he'll be chilling there.

This is the trainer that lets you learn the new spells too? Like combustion? I'm rocking the flame and the heal spell now. I'd like to upgrade the flame and get 2 new spells. Is this possible with this guy? As long as I scale up intelligence and attunement, presumably?

Ken

I recall someone mentioning in the OT a good ring that boosts Pyromancer attacks by a lot. Anyone know what it is and where I can get it?

Ken said:
I recall someone mentioning in the OT a good ring that boosts Pyromancer attacks by a lot. Anyone know what it is and where I can get it?

the mage merchant (the one locked near capra) sells a ring that boosts sorcery, which works for pyro as well. dragoncrest ring i believe.

tc farks

Augemitbutter said:
the mage merchant (the one locked near capra) sells a ring that boosts sorcery, which works for pyro as well. dragoncrest ring i believe.

Locked as in, need to find a certain key to free him? How does one find this key?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
heeeelp.

Got to Anor Londo, found the bonfire with the firekeeper hanging out,
killed all the knights and a gargoyle. but now I don't know where to go. I found a door that is blocked by brilliant light that I can't traverse and there is an elevator that goes down to a walkway (where I fought the gargoyle), but that just ends.

where do I go? I can't get back out of anor londo either since I got here by way of cut-scene magic that I can't undo. :(

EasyMode

Yeah, that thin walkway has an angle that looks like you would slip off, but it's the correct path.

I got lost at that part too, and even tried putting on the ring of Artorias and walking off the bridge :/

Is there any easy way to score some humanity early in the game? I'm at the Gargoyle bosses, but I'm having some issues with them and I'd like to summon up someone to help me with them. But sadly I lost my humanity the first time fighting them so I have no way to get back to human form to summon help. I've cleared out Taurus and the boar so no way to get it by beating them.

TheFightingFish said:
Is there any easy way to score some humanity early in the game? I'm at the Gargoyle bosses, but I'm having some issues with them and I'd like to summon up someone to help me with them. But sadly I lost my humanity the first time fighting them so I have no way to get back to human form to summon help. I've cleared out Taurus and the boar so no way to get it by beating them.

Rats under the bridge, near where you get the Drake Sword.

elty

TheFightingFish said:

Capra Demon, the lightening mini boss near the blacksmith, zombie dragon in Valley of Drake, Moonlight butterfly in dark root garden, stone knight thing in bottom of Undead Burg tower? Not sure if all of them gives you humanity though.

JonStark said:
Damn, I tried this but they still pop up before I can kill one. Then it's party time :(

Any weapon suggestion ? My lightening spear defaults me in this fight :(

I used lightning +5, never stopped attacking. Use green moss to get stamina back faster (I think that's the item), and heal when you're low or right when you kill one. Remember if you start the heal (flask) animation you can use another one w/out sacrificing anymore time.

Another GREAT upgrade item:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgradechart

scosher

tc farks said:
This is the trainer that lets you learn the new spells too? Like combustion? I'm rocking the flame and the heal spell now. I'd like to upgrade the flame and get 2 new spells. Is this possible with this guy? As long as I scale up intelligence and attunement, presumably?

Yup, he sells some of the early level pyro spells. I forget which but Combustion is included.

Also, if you're going for pure pyro build, don't bother with Int. Pyromancy is like the melee hybrid spell school. It requires zero stat investment. The "A" in scaling for Int doesn't seem to mean jack shit, cause I have a spellsword build (using Sorceries), but also upgraded my Pyro Flame to +15, and while the damage is awesome once upgraded, it doesn't seem to do any more than my friend's Dex-build character. The rumors that the scaling on Pyro Flame is only for your actual attack (R2 or L2) are likely true.

To debunk other myths: Increasing Dex doesn't increase movement speed or give you a cartwheel instead of rolls. Movement speed is based on your weight load only (<25% of equip burden for fastest speed), and the cartwheel is performed by equipping the Darkwood Grain Ring.

Increasing Str doesn't improve swing speed, and was likely a mistranslation from the Japanese site, in which your swing speed becomes extremely overburdened and slow if you don't meet the Str requirements for a weapon.

TheFightingFish said:

Do you have any in inventory? I remember scoring a handful or so by the time I got to the Gargoyles (but stubbornly still trying to beat them without using it).

tc farks

scosher said:
Yup, he sells some of the early level pyro spells. I forget which but Combustion is included.

Also, if you're going for pure pyro build, don't bother with Int. Pyromancy is like the melee hybrid spell school. It requires zero stat investment. The "A" in scaling for Int doesn't seem to mean jack shit, cause I have a spellsword build (using Sorceries), but also upgraded my Pyro Flame to +15, and while the damage is awesome once upgraded, it doesn't seem to do any more than my friend's Dex-build character. The rumors that the scaling on Pyro Flame is only for your actual attack (R2 or L2) are likely true.

To debunk other myths: Increasing Dex doesn't increase movement speed or give you a cartwheel instead of rolls. Movement speed is based on your weight load only (<25% of equip burden for fastest speed), and the cartwheel is performed by equipping the Darkwood Grain Ring.

Increasing Str doesn't improve swing speed, and was likely a mistranslation from the Japanese site, in which your swing speed becomes extremely overburdened and slow if you don't meet the Str requirements for a weapon.

This post is full of information and rather awesome. Much appreciated. I'm just gonna pump some points into attunement then. I did the whole Drake Sword thing, is it common to use that until say, the lightning/winged spear? I'm curious what the next best weapon is so that I can have my stats ready to go by that time, collecting shards and embers and what not solely for that transition.

I'm a level 21 pyro now with 16 endurance. I'm hoping I come across some good light armor soon that allows me stay under 25% equip burden throughout the game (and knowing exactly how much END I will need). I can't stand heavy armor and moving slowly. Anyone have any ideas for this? Is it the leather armor in lower Undead Berg? My OG Pyro threads seem to be pretty useful now. I foolishly bought the light chain armor without checking how much the equip load would be and I can't imagine wearing this for quite a while, if ever.

Frostburn

Brobzoid said:
I touched a painting. this part is difficult. I need to stop touching things.

Haha I did the same thing, The angle of it made it look like it could fall and I went right up next to it to "Bait" it into dropping but then I saw the prompt and hit X. Doh! I actually kind of like the area even though I'm "Locked in"

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
finalozzo said:
rats' drop rate of humanity is very low.
but yeah, it's the only way if you are at the beginning.

man it seems high to me, I had like a totally of 12 humanities after doing like 15 quick runs

Baha

Lombax said:

You need +10 weapons before you can see the option to upgrade them under modify weapon for the blacksmith at Anor Londo. To get a weapon to +10, you need 8 titanite shards, go to Andrei to modify the weapon to +6, to get to +10 from +5 you need 8 large titanite shards.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Baha said:
You need +10 weapons before you can see the option to upgrade them under modify weapon for the blacksmith at Anor Londo. To get a weapon to +10, you need 8 titanite shards, go to Andrei to modify the weapon to +6, to get to +10 from +5 you need 8 large titanite shards.

wheres the best place to get Large Titanite shards before getting to Anor Londo?

Baha

scosher said:
Swamp slugs in Blighttown

So much this. Don't spend your souls buying titanite or large titanite shards. The slugs in the swamp drop large shards and green shards. You can feed green shards to King Frampt for 5 titanite shards per 1 green shard you feed him. It's a crazy value considering the blacksmith sells titanite shards for 800 souls a piece. If you're a faith based character, the Homeward miracle (18 faith required) is indispensable for farming ores or even humanity. Actually I would recommend 18 faith for most builds solely for the convenience (homeward bones are 800 souls a piece and when your runs don't produce any drops it's a waste imo).

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
scosher said:
Swamp slugs in Blighttown

whelp looks like thats my next trip, I've been holding off going there for a bit. I just killed the undead dragon by going through the valley of drakes :(

I may go through the back entrance from the depths though.

Baha said:
So much this. Don't spend your souls buying titanite or large titanite shards. The slugs in the swamp drop large shards and green shards. You can feed green shards to King Frampt for 5 titanite shards per 1 green shard you feed him. It's a crazy value considering the blacksmith sells titanite shards for 800 souls a piece. If you're a faith based character, the Homeward miracle (18 faith required) is indispensable for farming ores or even humanity. Actually I would recommend 18 faith for most builds solely for the convenience (homeward bones are 800 souls a piece and when your runs don't produce any drops it's a waste imo).

Yup, makes farming the last 5 black knights of the game very easy. Bunch of backstabs, grab my chunks and use homeward.

Ken

What level are people at when they head off to Sen's Fortress? Currently level 18 and heading there now, but I haven't been summoned by anyone yet for any of the previous bosses (Carpa at SL 13 for example) ]:

Baha

demosthenes said:
Yup, makes farming the last 5 black knights of the game very easy. Bunch of backstabs, grab my chunks and use homeward.

Exactly, everytime I see someone suggest using homeward bones instead I die inside a little.

Ken

EasyMode said:
I really want to use that homeward miracle but I would need to level my faith by 10 points. Worth it?

Isn't there an item that does the same thing? 10 levels for that spell seems really expensive.

Edit: Homeward Bone? I think the ghoul in the bridge sells it.

Top Bottom