• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Baha

g35twinturbo said:
whelp looks like thats my next trip, I've been holding off going there for a bit. I just killed the undead dragon by going through the valley of drakes :(

I may go through the back entrance from the depths though.

There's a bonfire to the left of the waterwheel if you're coming from the valley of the drakes. A few tips for you if this is your first time:

The swamp is poisonous so farm a lot of purple moss in darkroot garden before you go (the treants have a high drop rate for moss).

When you get to the bonfire, here's the path I take for best results:

Head out, to the left and kill the 1st fire spewing bug you see. Then head north, from island to island until you reach the other shore and then run left. You'll eventually reach a spot where you have to cross a body of swamp water, head right and around the corner for your first slug.
At this point the flies that spawn infinitely and follow you will stop following you. After that slug, walk back a bit and cross that swamp water to the other side. 3 slugs there, follow the shore for another slug followed by 2 more.
Next you'll see several slugs, note the slug on the far right (aggro it with an arrow). Once that slug is killed, run to the shore next to where it was and you can kill the rest of the slugs via aggro.
Take the same path back to the bonfire and run straight for the bonfire once you see it. It'll cure any poison you've contracted also.

If you get homeward, you'll use the miracle after clearing the slugs in that last section of the swamp.

EasyMode

Ken said:
What level are people at when they head off to Sen's Fortress? Currently level 18 and heading there now, but I haven't been summoned by anyone yet for any of the previous bosses (Carpa at SL 13 for example) ]:
I think most people would be around double your level at that point.

Ken said:
Isn't there an item that does the same thing? 10 levels for that spell seems really expensive.

Edit: Homeward Bone? I think the ghoul in the bridge sells it.
Yes, homeward bone. I'm level 70 and don't see myself gaining that many levels before NG+ so I might as well use that item for now.

Baha

EasyMode said:
Yes, homeward bone. I'm level 70 and don't see myself gaining that many levels before NG+ so I might as well use that item for now.

If you're going for a platinum run, invest in those levels before NG+ as there is a lot of farming to do. An easy way to earn a lot of souls at that SL is laying your soul sign in the Painted World. I got to 1.2 million souls in just 1-2 days doing co-op there while farming the crows for souvenirs of respite.

Ken said:
Isn't there an item that does the same thing? 10 levels for that spell seems really expensive.

Edit: Homeward Bone? I think the ghoul in the bridge sells it.

800 per, and the black knights give 1200 per kill so it pays for itself over time but still annoying.

Baha said:
If you're going for a platinum run, invest in those levels before NG+ as there is a lot of farming to do. An easy way to earn a lot of souls at that SL is laying your soul sign in the Painted World. I got to 1.2 million souls in just 1-2 days doing co-op there while farming the crows for souvenirs of respite.

What's the bold?

Baha

demosthenes said:
800 per, and the black knights give 1200 per kill so it pays for itself over time but still annoying.

What's the bold?

It's an item used for the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant. Normally you have to do pvp to earn them or get 1 per run by killing Lautrec in Anor Londo. You need 10 to rank up in that covenant for a miracle & talisman. The crows drop them in the painted World but their drop rate is painfully low.

Ken

EasyMode said:
I think most people would be around double your level at that point.

Aw man. Guess I should put some souls into levels then.

To help out other people with bosses, do I need to still have that boss alive in my game?

demosthenes said:

What's the bold?

Item dropped by the flyers in the painted world. They are used for a specific covenant.

EasyMode

Ken said:
Aw man. Guess I should put some souls into levels then.

To help out other people with bosses, do I need to still have that boss alive in my game?
Only the host needs the boss alive from what I've read. The same was the case in Demon's Souls.

Ken

Hm, what's a good weapon to work on upgrading before Sen's Fortress? Still using a Drake Sword and a Spider Shield as a pyromancer with the minimum to wield the Drake Sword.

Ken said:
Hm, what's a good weapon to work on upgrading before Sen's Fortress? Still using a Drake Sword and a Spider Shield as a pyromancer with the minimum to wield the Drake Sword.

Use drake sword until you get the lightning spear in sen's

Patryn

sixghost said:
I don't know, but I was wondering that too. It definitely did reset though. Maybe the big Giant reached down and reset it xD.

Yeah, definitely resets for me, too.

But if you plan your route carefully, the boulders should never be a problem.

tranciful

So what's the best place for PVP? I thought the forest hunters invaded no matter the level, but I'm level 74 and I'm never getting invaded :(

Fox1304

I can't manage to clear the area before the Capra Demon ( and indeed kill him too ).
Anybody that could help ? I'm currently lvl 16, and in dire need of phantoms :(

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Baha said:
There's a bonfire to the left of the waterwheel if you're coming from the valley of the drakes. A few tips for you if this is your first time:

The swamp is poisonous so farm a lot of purple moss in darkroot garden before you go (the treants have a high drop rate for moss).

When you get to the bonfire, here's the path I take for best results:

Head out, to the left and kill the 1st fire spewing bug you see. Then head north, from island to island until you reach the other shore and then run left. You'll eventually reach a spot where you have to cross a body of swamp water, head right and around the corner for your first slug.
At this point the flies that spawn infinitely and follow you will stop following you. After that slug, walk back a bit and cross that swamp water to the other side. 3 slugs there, follow the shore for another slug followed by 2 more.
Next you'll see several slugs, note the slug on the far right (aggro it with an arrow). Once that slug is killed, run to the shore next to where it was and you can kill the rest of the slugs via aggro.
Take the same path back to the bonfire and run straight for the bonfire once you see it. It'll cure any poison you've contracted also.

If you get homeward, you'll use the miracle after clearing the slugs in that last section of the swamp.

ahhh thanks.

I'll try this tonight.

DualShadow said:
Where can I find someone who will upgrade my flask with this Fire Soul thing I got?

Where you start in firelink shrine, go left down the stairs and it is right there, a woman behind bars

Orcastar

So I made a small mistake:
killed the egg dude in Queelag's Domain that was blocking my way to a bonfire. I swear I didn't get a talk prompt when I got near him (maybe I had my shield up just in case, I can't remember...) so I just stabbed him with my halberd and only realised my mistake when he blabbed something while dying.

How badly did I screw myself over? Am I gonna miss anything important?

tokkun

Orcastar said:
killed the egg dude in Queelag's Domain that was blocking my way to a bonfire. I swear I didn't get a talk prompt when I got near him (maybe I had my shield up just in case, I can't remember...) so I just stabbed him with my halberd and only realised my mistake when he blabbed something while dying.

There is one Pyromancy that can only be learned from that guy, Toxic Mist. He is also the only way to obtain the item that lets you view the leaderboard for the Daughters of Chaos covenant.

I would not say that either of those is particularly important.

UrbanRats

EasyMode said:
You missed one in
Blighttown. It's close to the Valley of Drakes entrance, in the area with the toxic dart shooters and flamethrowing dogs.

And you can kill a keeper for her soul but her bonfire will go out.
Blighttown? It's fucking gone, man.
No way i'm getting back in tha framerate hell, though i often use the Drak valley shortcut, cause i'm a chaos servant.

Rubashov

Orcastar said:

If you use pyromancy then this could be a big problem until NG+.

That guy can also upgrade your pyro flame. This can be a problem if you join the chaos covenant and tell Laurentis back at Firelink about the spell you're given for joining. You can get into an impossible situation where you won't be able to upgrade the flame because the old trainers have moved on, and the final pyromancer won't show up because your flame level is too low!

Get your flame to +10 the next time you talk to Laurentis to avoid this.

Ken

Shawsie64 said:
In the OP it mentions the Dragon Crest Shield
(if you have the master key)

I have that key.. Where do I find this item?

Sounds like the shield in
Valley of Drakes.
I'm not super sure if this is how you get there early on since I've only gone through that map with normal progression despite having the master key but here goes:

Go down to New Londo Ruins via elevator. There's two other elevators; one leads to Darkroot Basin and the other leads to Valley of Drake. When you take the one to VoD, there's three items you can get I think: one on the bridge directly in front of you, and one along the cliff to your left. The latter will probably be a suicide run since a sleeping dragon guards it.

UrbanRats

Does the Pyro flame really scales with Int? I have a pretty low Int (9, the lowest attribute i have) since i just got into Pyro, but i have a +16(ascention) pyro glove with A scaling, and yet, if i give, like, two points at INT, nothing changes in its attack power.
Before wasting levels, i'd like to be sure.

Shawsie64

Banned
Ken said:
Sounds like the shield in
Valley of Drakes.
I'm not super sure if this is how you get there early on since I've only gone through that map with normal progression despite having the master key but here goes:

Go down to New Londo Ruins via elevator. There's two other elevators; one leads to Darkroot Basin and the other leads to Valley of Drake. When you take the one to VoD, there's three items you can get I think: one on the bridge directly in front of you, and one along the cliff to your left. The latter will probably be a suicide run since a sleeping dragon guards it.

Ok thanks alot :) ill try that tonight! Still getting hammered by
the gargoyles on the roof :(
and the OP mentioned thats a good shield to use if I can get it

Ken

Shawsie64 said:

Can you go human to summon Solaire to tank or grab a Drake Sword from the dragon? Either of those help a lot.

UrbanRats said:
Does the Pyro flame really scales with Int? I have a pretty low Int (9, the lowest attribute i have) since i just got into Pyro, but i have a +16(ascention) pyro glove with A scaling, and yet, if i give, like, two points at INT, nothing changes in its attack power.
Before wasting levels, i'd like to be sure.

Wikis say INT only increases the melee attack of the flame, which is pointless.

Shawsie64 said:

Drake sword helps a lot mate.

I got stuck there for a while, don't forget to slice his tail off!

Styles

So I've upgraded by barbed straight sword to enchanted lvl 2 and the stats bonus goes like this: e/e/c/-

But on wikidot it had it as e/e/a/- at all levels.

So the scaling doesn't seem to be different from that of a magic weapon?

UrbanRats

Shawsie64 said:
Ok sweet, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them tonight.. rage quitted last night but it wont defeat me just yet! haha
You can also call a bro to help you out.
I did it with a summoned dude + drake sword and beat them at first try, very easily, using 1 estus flask.
And i'm one bad player, i tell you.

tc farks

Beat Capra Demon 2nd try as well. I'm on a good run here. Level 25 pyro atm.

I attuned up to 3 slots to add soul arrow from the sorcerer I freed. But the amount of equipped weapons/wands/catalysts stays the same. So I can have the pyro flame and soul arrow ready to go, but the only way to use the heal spell is to get into the start menu and slowly change things around. Is this why I've heard mention of the pyro glove? To have more fire spells than normal?

Baha

Shawsie64 said:

Don't, his directions are wrong.

You take ONE elevator down to new londo ruins and head to your right after climbing down the stairs, there's another small spiral staircase going up that leads to a door that you can open with your master key. walk through and cross a plank bridge and head left (the cave leads to Blight Town). You'll see a dead dragon and some loot, you can either walk in and get the loot and roll out of harm's way or you can grab loot, run away and then cheese that dragon with arrows (he won't move from his spot). The shield is next to him in either case.

tc farks said:
Beat Capra Demon 2nd try as well. I'm on a good run here. Level 25 pyro atm.

I attuned up to 3 slots to add soul arrow from the sorcerer I freed. But the amount of equipped weapons/wands/catalysts stays the same. So I can have the pyro flame and soul arrow ready to go, but the only way to use the heal spell is to get into the start menu and slowly change things around. Is this why I've heard mention of the pyro glove? To have more fire spells than normal?
It is best not to have more than 2 types of spells. I would remove Soul Arrow and keep the healing miracle. Later when you buy more Pyro spells, you can use those extra attunement slots for more.

tc farks

Cloudius12 said:
It is best not to have more than 2 types of spells. I would remove Soul Arrow and keep the healing miracle. Later when you buy more Pyro spells, you can use those extra attunement slots for more.

Yeah, I see. So I will have basically 3 different pyro spells and can use 1 or 2 of them whenever. Thanks.

tc farks said:
Yeah, I see. So I will have basically 3 different pyro spells and can use 1 or 2 of them whenever. Thanks.
Ya if there is a particular Pyro spell you like a lot, if you brought another one, you can set that in another attunement slot for more charges.

tokkun

Vect said:
So I've upgraded by barbed straight sword to enchanted lvl 2 and the stats bonus goes like this: e/e/c/-

But on wikidot it had it as e/e/a/- at all levels.

So the scaling doesn't seem to be different from that of a magic weapon?

Enchanted weapons improve their scaling as you level them up to +5. I think they are the only type of weapons that does that.

Orcastar

tokkun said:
There is one Pyromancy that can only be learned from that guy, Toxic Mist. He is also the only way to obtain the item that lets you view the leaderboard for the Daughters of Chaos covenant.

I would not say that either of those is particularly important.
Well that doesn't sound too bad then.

Rubashov said:
If you use pyromancy then this could be a big problem until NG+.

That guy can also upgrade your pyro flame. This can be a problem if you join the chaos covenant and tell Laurentis back at Firelink about the spell you're given for joining. You can get into an impossible situation where you won't be able to upgrade the flame because the old trainers have moved on, and the final pyromancer won't show up because your flame level is too low!

Get your flame to +10 the next time you talk to Laurentis to avoid this.
Yikes! I'm a pyro so this could have been a major problem. Better go grind a bit so I can get the pyro flame upgraded then.

Thanks for the replies!

Madrical

Banned
I just got the key to depths but no idea where it is. Help? :mad:

EDIT:

Rushed that post because I was walking off the train. So yeah, I killed the boss that drops the key to the depths, I walked around for about an hour and couldn't find where to go. What am I missing? :(

johntown

Banned
Madrical said:
I just got the key to depths but no idea where it is. Help? :mad:

EDIT:

Rushed that post because I was walking off the train. So yeah, I killed the boss that drops the key to the depths, I walked around for about an hour and couldn't find where to go. What am I missing? :(
Right before the fog gate to Capra take a right.....a new path has opened up that will tak you to the depths.

Madrical

Banned
johntown said:
Right before the fog gate to Capra take a right.....a new path has opened up that will tak you to the depths.
I must have walked passed that door about 5-10 times. Sigh. Thank you.

Stupid butcher thing killed me in two shots. :(

johntown

Banned
Madrical said:
I must have walked passed that door about 5-10 times. Sigh. Thank you.

Stupid butcher thing killed me in two shots. :(
I did the same thing.

For the other guy try to lure him to the 2nd level and use the wooden beams to your advantage.

Dechaios said:
Hm.. so to get better drop rate, do I have to become human? Or just use some humanity?

I'm no expert but I think the drop rate goes up when you're human, but increasing your humanity number is more important. Not just having humanity items on you that is, I mean your number in the upper left.

Madrical

Banned
BarrenMind said:
I'm no expert but I think the drop rate goes up when you're human, but increasing your humanity number is more important. Not just having humanity items on you that is, I mean your number in the upper left.
Why? I still can't make sense of this humanity system. So far I much prefer world/character tendency.

Also, this giant rat looks to be a massive pain in my melee-exclusive character's ass.

DarkKyo

BarrenMind said:
Why is that? If you don't mind explaining that is. I don't get why it's better to have humanity on you.

Top Bottom