• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

If you 'un-hollow', your drop rate increases by 20%. Then, any extra humanity you have give you further increases to drop rate with diminishing returns based on how many points you have(for example, the first point gives you an extra 5%, but then it decreases to 4%, 3% and lower per point, based on how many you have currently). Having humanity items in your inventory doesn't do anything.

The mechanic is that you want more humanity for more drops, but it's risky to run around with large amounts of humanity.

EDIT: More specifically, being human offers a much greater increase to drop rate than just carrying around a single point of humanity. As far as I can tell, there's no reason to not be human if you have at least one humanity points, except to avoid getting invaded.

Well again, I don't know for sure this is just something I remember reading somewhere.

Think about it though, the higher number for Humanity you have in the upper left, the more you risk losing when you die. If you want a high drop rate you have to deal with the risk. There's not a risk at all if you simply have Humanity items on you since you don't lose those upon death, so I don't think they factor in.

There's also a covenant to which you can offer Humanity to increase its rank.

kyubajin

Damn, 7 hours in and I just hit a wall with Capra Demon... I'm using the starting Warrior armour and a Battle Axe +2... any non-spoilerish suggestions?

scosher

Conciliator said:
If you 'un-hollow', your drop rate increases by 20%. Then, any extra humanity you have give you further increases to drop rate with diminishing returns based on how many points you have(for example, the first point gives you an extra 5%, but then it decreases to 4%, 3% and lower per point, based on how many you have currently). Having humanity items in your inventory doesn't do anything.

The mechanic is that you want more humanity for more drops, but it's risky to run around with large amounts of humanity.

EDIT: More specifically, being human offers a much greater increase to drop rate than just carrying around a single point of humanity. As far as I can tell, there's no reason to not be human if you have at least one humanity points, except to avoid getting invaded.

Can you confirm this? Cause your drop rate increases to 120 as soon as you get 1 humanity, regardless if you are human or hollow. As I understand it, all that matters is your humanity counter on the top left, and you can look at your status screen to see your Item Discovery.

1stStrike

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
ugh I hate you blighttown!

I still can't find the damn bonfire lol

It's pretty much impossible to miss the bonfire in blighttown. You HAVE to pass it. So, if you haven't found the bonfire - then you haven't made it far enough in. If you came in from the back entrance, then you'll need to go down to the swamp to find a bonfire.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
1stStrike said:
It's pretty much impossible to miss the bonfire in blighttown. You HAVE to pass it. So, if you haven't found the bonfire - then you haven't made it far enough in. If you came in from the back entrance, then you'll need to go down to the swamp to find a bonfire.

I came through both entrances.

I saw the water pinwheel was to my right so I remembered the other post said it was on the left. I even went down the pinwheel. I also killed the poison dart dudes, they havent respawned back. I killed the dogs and multiple flies lol.

I'm just trying to find the damn bonfire!

edit: OH the bonfire is in the swamp? I haven't went completely into that part....well I guess I know what I need to do then :D thanks

I'm not at home so I can't confirm, but I'm sure you guys are right about the humanity...sorry for any additional confusion for the people who are already confused. To reiterate for those reading: Being hollow or human does not affect your drop rate. How much humanity you have does affect your drop rate.

Baha

Gonna post this here since I saw it on another board and tested it so I can attest that this does work. This method is for titanite slabs (normal, red, white, blue). Essentially you get 1 red/white/blue per run but if you're going for 100% trophy/achievement completion, there's a way to get all weapon trophies on your first playthrough. Read below and decide for yourself if you want to do this:

So essentially you need a +4/+9/+14 weapon that requires a slab. You go to a bonfire, select reinforce weapon. Find the weapon that requires a slab and reinforce it. This is the important part. DO NOT PRESS BACK OR QUIT THE REINFORCE WEAPON MENU. The game saves every time you exit a menu so if you use a slab and wait for the trophy/achievement to pop up, you can then quit via XMB/dash board. When you reload the game you should still have your slab and the weapon you upgraded will be back to what it was before. This method is safe for quitting via XMB/dashboard because the game isn't saving when you do so.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this info since red/blue/white slabs are required for 2 trophies each, You can at least farm normal slabs from the knights in New Londo Ruins.

Do both (early boss)
Gargoyles
have tails you can chop off and get an item for? Or only one of them? Also, to chop their tails off, you just have to go behind them and hit in that general area?

johntown

Banned
Baha said:
Gonna post this here since I saw it on another board and tested it so I can attest that this does work. This method is for titanite slabs (normal, red, white, blue). Essentially you get 1 red/white/blue per run but if you're going for 100% trophy/achievement completion, there's a way to get all weapon trophies on your first playthrough. Read below and decide for yourself if you want to do this:

So essentially you need a +4/+9/+14 weapon that requires a slab. You go to a bonfire, select reinforce weapon. Find the weapon that requires a slab and reinforce it. This is the important part. DO NOT PRESS BACK OR QUIT THE REINFORCE WEAPON MENU. The game saves every time you exit a menu so if you use a slab and wait for the trophy/achievement to pop up, you can then quit via XMB/dash board. When you reload the game you should still have your slab and the weapon you upgraded will be back to what it was before. This method is safe for quitting via XMB/dashboard because the game isn't saving when you do so.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this info since red/blue/white slabs are required for 2 trophies each, You can at least farm normal slabs from the knights in New Londo Ruins.
Just to add to this make sure you have a backup of your save data. It is possible that it could become corrupt and un-playable after that.

elty

Where do I find the whip in Blighttown? I thought it is just after the fog door from the octopus looking mini boss.

Holden

SUBZERO-08 said:
Do both (early boss)
Gargoyles
have tails you can chop off and get an item for? Or only one of them? Also, to chop their tails off, you just have to go behind them and hit in that general area?

The 2nd one doesn't have a tail. Ya just hit the tail from behind and it just chop of pretty fast

Hugoboss21 said:
The 2nd one doesn't have a tail. Ya just hit the tail from behind and it just chop of pretty fast
Got it! After I beat him and rang the bell though, some guy appeared around the bell. A merchant or something. It gives me options like Abandon Covenant and Request Absolution. I don't remember joining any covenant though, is this just something you automatically join?

EasyMode

SUBZERO-08 said:
Got it! After I beat him and rang the bell though, some guy appeared around the bell. A merchant or something. It gives me options like Abandon Covenant and Request Absolution. I don't remember joining any covenant though, is this just something you automatically join?
You probably haven't joined any covenant, he just gives you the option anyways. Be sure to learn the come-at-me-bro gesture from him, cause it's awesome.

After grinding for hours (about 20 hours total for various large shards and humanitys from rats and such) I finished the game at Level 91, 97 hours, and 10 minutes. I HATED this game at times (New Londo ghosts were driving me crazy getting everything there, even with the Jagged Ghost blade...I didn't mind the other enemies, just them!)

Anyway, I did want to share a tip for the final battle..I shall put tags up, as I am sure some do not wish to read it yet:
I think after the 20th time I got killer by Gwyn, I notice something about his jump attack, and tried a few things to avoid it. As it turns out, if you can hide behind the rock formation, that is directly to the left of you when you come in, he jumps there, but is now higher than you, thus his attacks are not able to hit you (except, his vertical slash still can, so be aware.)

Strafe around this, keeping him up higher than yourself, roll and dodge until his attacks subside, and ATTACK! Three attacks in a row, he often staggers (but if not a minor hit with his sword and quick heal should be good to wait again). 8 Great Combustions, with maxed out Pyromancy, my new favorite type of spells, and two hits, and he FELL!

This also works with sword and whatever melee weapons you had, but for whatever reason, my attacks were not doing too much, so I went as a Pyro with Golem armor, and got up close and personal. It is possible, but I was impatient and paranoid!

I do have a quick question...in regards to the quick way to get to
Lost Izalith from Quaalag's Domain
...is that still open in new game+? I ask because I did NOT open it last time, but am doing so this time, and I heard those things there tend to drop Red titanite chunks, about as much as the rats do humanity (but still a helpful spot to grind a little before finishing the game).

Thank you all! So far, I beat the tougher first boss, and the red creep, and LOVE the new 5 times more souls rewards!

Note for others who passed as well:
I know in Demon's Souls they took all your keys and everything, but WHY did they take my repair boxes and stuff? Well, no matter, I do not mind getting them again!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
thank GOD!

I went through blighttown with somewhat easy. Beat the boss so now I'm heading back to the gate I suppose.

Should I go near the lava after you beat the queen? or just head to the gate?

kodt

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
thank GOD!

I went through blighttown with somewhat easy. Beat the boss so now I'm heading back to the gate I suppose.

Should I go near the lava after you beat the queen? or just head to the gate?

The Lava heads to the Demon Ruins, which is one of the last areas you will want to go in the game.

taurus demons and capra demons are regular enemies there

Giard

I'm kinda confused as to where I should be going right now. If anyone could give me a hint, it would be appreciated.

Here is what I've done recently..

I've beaten the Moonlight Butterfly, got a Divine Ember and gave it to the blacksmith in the Undead Parish (I've already rang the bell for that area). I've tried fighting the crystal/ice golems but I didn't fare too well, so I went to New Londo Ruins. I managed to get to a guy that removes curses, then a door near an elevator was locked and I couldn't progress any further. Do I need to go beat the crystal golems from earlier or should I be doing something else before?

kodt

Banned
Giard said:
I'm kinda confused as to where I should be going right now. If anyone could give me a hint, it would be appreciated.

I've beaten the Moonlight Butterfly, got a Divine Ember and gave it to the blacksmith in the Undead Parish (I've already rang the bell for that area). I've tried fighting the crystal/ice golems but I didn't fare too well, so I went to New Londo Ruins. I managed to get to a guy that removes curses, then a door near an elevator was locked and I couldn't progress any further. Do I need to go beat the crystal golems from earlier or should I be doing something else before?

that npc gives you a key to unlock the locked door, but only if you have the lordvessel, you also might be able to get the key by killing him but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Lordvessel:
you get it after killing the bosses of Anor Londo, you should complete Anor Londo before going to New Londo Ruins

New Londo Ruins Boss
you wont be able to fight the boss in this area unless you have the ring dropped by the wolf in Darkmoon Garden

Have you gone to Sens Fortress or Anor Londo? After you ring the second bell, Sen's Fortress unlocks (the cut scene shows the gate opening), that is the next normal progression area to head to.

EasyMode

Giard said:

This seems to be happening to quite a few people after ringing the first bell. Have you tried the locked door at the bridge with the red dragon? It's opposite the door you entered after beating the Taurus demon.

Giard

EasyMode said:
This seems to be happening to quite a few people after ringing the first bell. Have you tried the locked door at the bridge with the red dragon? It's opposite the door you entered after beating the Taurus demon.
Well I did manage to cross the bridge and ring the bell there...so there should be a new area unlocked in that area?

kodt said:
that npc gives you a key to unlock the locked door, but only if you have the lordvessel, you also might be able to get the key by killing him but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Lordvessel:
you get it after killing the bosses of Anor Londo, you should complete Anor Londo before going to New Londo Ruins

New Londo Ruins Boss
you wont be able to fight the boss in this area unless you have the ring dropped by the wolf in Darkmoon Garden

Have you gone to Sens Fortress or Anor Londo? After you ring the second bell, Sen's Fortress unlocks (the cut scene shows the gate opening), that is the next normal progression area to head to.
I don't know where the second bell is :p
I'm guessing the
wolf in Darkmoon Garden
is past the
crystal golems
?

EasyMode

Giard said:
Well I did manage to cross the bridge and ring the bell there...so there should be a new area unlocked in that area?
If you haven't been to the lower Undead Burg and the Depths, then you should try that door.

kodt

Banned
Giard said:

I don't know where the second bell is :p
I'm guessing the
wolf in Darkmoon Garden
is past the
crystal golems
?

After you beat the Bell Gargoyles and rang the first bell you get a Basement key. You need to go down to Lower Undead Burg -> The Depths ->Blight town -> then you will ring the second bell :)

Wallachia

ONLINE/SUMMONING:
Are any of you getting invaded/summoned alot? I am reading alot online about how there is half of us who get like 1 summon/invasion in 5 hours, and others that get 5 summons/invasions in 1 hour.

People are saying it is NOT because of NAT Type 1 - 3, since the game is based on servers. So the problem really is with From, that they are supposedly patching.

So why do SOME of you get great online quality? Is it because of geography? Luck? What?

Any IT/Techs on here know more? I want to know if I should invest more hours into my router settings, or just wait for patch?

Finalow

Wallachia said:
ONLINE/SUMMONING:
Are any of you getting invaded/summoned alot? I am reading alot online about how there is half of us who get like 1 summon/invasion in 5 hours, and others that get 5 summons/invasions in 1 hour.

People are saying it is NOT because of NAT Type 1 - 3, since the game is based on servers. So the problem really is with From, that they are supposedly patching.

So why do SOME of you get great online quality? Is it because of geography? Luck? What?

Any IT/Techs on here know more? I want to know if I should invest more hours into my router settings, or just wait for patch?
just wait for the patch and pray.

Marbles

I've been trying to fight the Spider Queen for the last hour and repeatedly getting my butt kicked. So i thought i'd go grind some level and come back later. I head back to the Firekeeper to hand in the third soul only to find her dead and now I'm getting a message saying "Fire Keeper is absent. Cannot light bonfire". How screwed am I??

Marbles said:
I've been trying to fight the Spider Queen for the last hour and repeatedly getting my butt kicked. So i thought i'd go grind some level and come back later. I head back to the Firekeeper to hand in the third soul only to find her dead and now I'm getting a message saying "Fire Keeper is absent. Cannot light bonfire". How screwed am I??

Go down one level to the cell where she was held before; it'll give you a clue on what happens next.

Marbles

Down to where? I've only ever came across her in cell at Firelink Shrine and that's where i found the corpse?

EDIT
Ahh ok. I seem to have picked up the Black eye orb which "lets me invade world of murderer of Fire Keeper". this should fun :(

kodt

Banned
Marbles said:
Down to where? I've only ever came across her in cell at Firelink Shrine and that's where i found the corpse?

EDIT
Ahh ok. I seem to have picked up the Black eye orb which "lets me invade world of murderer of Fire Keeper". this should fun :(

You wont be able to use it right away, the game will let you know when. Don't do what I did and use her soul to reinforce your estus flask, you wont be able to revive her then.

Marbles

kodt said:
You wont be able to use it right away, the game will let you know when. Don't do what I did and use her soul to reinforce your estus flask, you wont be able to revive her then.

If i knew where to use it I'd be heading there already but i've not even been to Anor Londo or Sen's Fotress. And now when i die i get kicked back to Blightown. So screwed!! Rage quit immanent!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
kodt said:
The Lava heads to the Demon Ruins, which is one of the last areas you will want to go in the game.

taurus demons and capra demons are regular enemies there

ahhh ok.

I'll stay away from there for now.

finalozzo said:
it is not.

*shrugs* I gets mine so it's no biggie.

Marbles said:
If i knew where to use it I'd be heading there already but i've not even been to Anor Londo or Sen's Fotress. And now when i die i get kicked back to Blightown. So screwed!! Rage quit immanent!

Head over to Sen's Fortress next. Once you get back to the Firelink Shrine, take the elevator back to the blacksmith so you can rest at the bonfire there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm about to face the ghosts for the first time. What's the best strategy to face them, real curse or transient curse?

And how long does the latter last, and how many do I need?

Jinfash said:
I'm about to face the ghosts for the first time. What's the best strategy to face them, real curse or transient curse?

Latter works for a good 5 min or so. If you have the ring that give you better item discovery, I would be rolling with that and the Transient Curse.

1stStrike

Banned
Jinfash said:

Tip on the ghosts: If they start reaching out toward you with their arms get in close and hit them. Some people think they're not melee-friendly because they stand back and get snatch-grabbed by them, but the counter it to get in close as they won't be able to grab you if you're up next to them and keep hitting them.

I also recommend bating them. Just bait the ghosts, cluster them up and then use some wide sweeping arcs to kill them all at once. They're slow and easy to deal with.

Zoe

Every once in a while, yellow light or something like souls rushes at my character. What is this?

Edit: nvm, it just happened again and I got an extra flask

Giard

Question about the depths...
I just accidently killed a guy stuck in a barrel, trying to free him. I guess I should have rolled instead of slashing.
Was he important?

tokkun

Giard said:
Question about the depths...
I just accidently killed a guy stuck in a barrel, trying to free him. I guess I should have rolled instead of slashing.
Was he important?

He was a pyromancy trainer. You can find another one in Blighttown.

Holy crap! I found the
Lightning Spear
in Sen's Fortress and was able to solo the
Iron Golem
easy... Didn't even have to kindle the bonfire :)

Love this thing

Not to sure what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I just killed the Moonlight Butterfly and got some key.

Also I'm playing a pyro and so far I've been dumping a lot of points into my endurance (it's 17 now) any other stats I should keep an eye on? STR is at 16, DEX 12 VIT 15, everything else is at stock. Is it worth putting points into INT? From what I understand pyro skills don't scale with it.

Totalriot

toasty_T said:
Not to sure what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I just killed the Moonlight Butterfly and got some key.

Also I'm playing a pyro and so far I've been dumping a lot of points into my endurance (it's 17 now) any other stats I should keep an eye on? STR is at 16, DEX 12 VIT 15, everything else is at stock. Is it worth putting points into INT? From what I understand pyro skills don't scale with it.

I was confused there too, it is a dead end, just head back and venture into the Depths if you haven't been there.

As for stats Pyromancy scales very well with INT after you upgrade your Pyromancy Flame. You should invest some points in END so blocking will be much better.

1stStrike

Banned
The cast of time pyromancy spells are reduced the higher your dexterity is as well, so I'd recommend investing significantly in that stat.

kyubajin

If my weapon of choice is a Crystal Sword, should I just keep trying to defeat the Gaping Dragon, or could I venture into the Catacombs, Forest or Basin?

Top Bottom