• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Soulhouf

Dechaios said:
Why is that? If you don't mind explaining that is. I don't get why it's better to have humanity on you.
On the status menu you can check the item discovery and you will notice that when you don't have any humanity (in the upper left) it's 100 and it increases every time you gain humanity (it maxes at 30 I believe).

Fox1304

Finally have the stats to use my Black Knight Sword ...
And boy it is awesome. As a pyro, slashing through enemies I struggled with, one slashing everybody with a giant sword, feels pretty nice :D
I was very disappointed though to see that Magic Weapon wasn't usable on this sword :(

So I'm confused. Whats the item you need to bring back to the soul keeper and what does it do? I think I used the first one I had on accident. So what is the difference between using one versus giving it to the soul keeper? *Pardon the mis-naming, I can't recall*

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So I'm confused. Whats the item you need to bring back to the soul keeper and what does it do? I think I used the first one I had on accident. So what is the difference between using one versus giving it to the soul keeper? *Pardon the mis-naming, I can't recall*
After invading Lautrec and killing him you get a Firekeeper Soul, which you should immediately take to Firelink Shrine to take it where you found the dead firekeeper originally was and revive her.

Firekeeper Souls when given to a Firekeeper, boost your hp gain when using an estus flask.

I am not sure what happen if used on your own, not good apparrently versus reinforcing your estus flask. Don't worry, you will have more chances when you pickup more.

Totalriot

kyubajin said:
If my weapon of choice is a Crystal Sword, should I just keep trying to defeat the Gaping Dragon, or could I venture into the Catacombs, Forest or Basin?

Catacombs without a holy weapon sucks. Basin or Forest should not be a problem but so is the Gaping Dragon but make sure, you kill the caster upstairs befor entering the fog.

UrbanRats

tokkun said:
He was a pyromancy trainer. You can find another one in Blighttown.
About him:
when he asked me if i had met Queelana in Blighttown, i said "no", because i didn't want him to go Hollow (he's a cool dude)
did i miss anything important, with this move?

kyubajin said:
If my weapon of choice is a Crystal Sword, should I just keep trying to defeat the Gaping Dragon, or could I venture into the Catacombs, Forest or Basin?
I don't know man, Gaping is one of the easiest boss in the game, if you take out the necromancer, while the other places you mention, aren't exactly easy.

Soulhouf

UrbanRats said:
I don't know man, Gaping is one of the easiest boss in the game, if you take out the necromancer
What.
I took out the necromancer and still I died in in front of this boss more than all the others.
It depends on how you play I guess. The easiest bosses to me were Capra Demon and Sif.

UrbanRats

Soulhouf said:
What.
I took out the necromancer and still I died in in front of this boss more than all the others.
It depends on how you play I guess. The easiest bosses to me were Capra Demon and Sif.
Maybe it depends on the stats, but i never got hit once during the Gaping Dragon (and i'm not an ace player).
It's only dangerous if you get greedy, but that's true for almost all the bosses.

Keep your distance.
Wait for him to do the body slam and follow him from behind, while he does the charge, as he stops, hit him on the back legs a few times (3 hit combo, max) and run at safe distance again.
If you cut off his tail and keep the distance, there's no way he can hit you, really.

Soulhouf

UrbanRats said:
Maybe it depends on the stats, but i never got hit once during the Gaping Dragon (and i'm not an ace player).
It's only dangerous if you get greedy, but that's true for almost all the bosses.

Keep your distance.
Wait for him to do the body slam and follow him from behind, while he does the charge, as he stops, hit him on the back legs a few times (3 hit combo, max) and run at safe distance again.
If you cut off his tail and keep the distance, there's no way he can hit you, really.
The dangerous part of the fight is that he decides to fly a lot and I have no idea where he will land so I panic and start to run everywhere to avoid it but he inevitably lands on me. The attack is so strong that he one shots me :-(
The only way I found to beat him is to cast some people to help me but I still died once before I managed to beat him that way.
It's really the only boss that I can't understand how I should deal with...

Styles

Soulhouf said:
The dangerous part of the fight is that he decides to fly a lot and I have no idea where he will land so I panic and start to run everywhere to avoid it but he inevitably lands on me. The attack is so strong that he one shots me :-(
The only way I found to beat him is to cast some people to help me but I still died once before I managed to beat him that way.
It's really the only boss that I can't understand how I should deal with...

Move your camera to the ceiling when he flies up, I find that really helpful, don't know if it will be for you.

xero273

Totalriot said:
As for stats Pyromancy scales very well with INT after you upgrade your Pyromancy Flame.

From what I read, pyro spells don't scale with INT. They get stronger as you upgrade your glove. So start upgrading that glove.

kodt

Banned
Soulhouf said:
What.

That just seems so backwards to me.

Capra was by far the most difficult boss for me. I was a heavy armor wearing melee character. Slow roll speed. (had to unequip). I would say the first 15 times I got in I died in the first 10 seconds. I would try to run and roll either to the left or right and every time I got stun-locked by dogs and then slammed by capra demon. I watched youtube videos and did the exactly same movements but it didn't work. A dog would always hit me mid roll no matter what. Beat it by summoning someone.

Gaping was crazy easy, just run up to his side, stay on his side the entire time attacking. I died my first attempt and then beat it my second try.

Dyno

I'm re-posting this from the other thread. I think this is the better place for it...

Some character building advice from you advanced Dark Souls players would be appreciated here...

I'm a Level 25 Deprived with 24 Str, 15 Dex, 12 End & Vit, and the standard 11 in everything else. I have been playing around with whatever weapons I find but just keep coming back to my starting club which has A - rate for Strength. I'm just rocking the Club +5 and a Hollow Shield +5. It's been a challenge but I've defeated everything thrown at me including Black Knights.

I have cleared out the Undead Parish and Darkroot Garden. All the shortcuts in and around Firelink Shrine have been opened. I am half way through the Undead Basement but took a break because it is time for magic!

I'm going to buy my first spell but it kind of sets the course for my character. I have access to Miracles and Sorcery at the Firelink Shrine. Haven't met a Pyromancer yet. What do you think would work well with a weapon & shield type fighter? Miracles have some interesting stuff, Faith weapons lean towards strong characters and they are helpful versus various foes. Sorcery on the other hand gives decent ranged attacks - something I utterly lack.

I played a Miracle-backed fighter in Demon's Souls so I wouldn't mind a change. The thing is I have the Divine Ember for Faith weapons and the catacombs (which I was repelled from) is in my future.)

Any advice is welcome. What do you think of the starting magic spells?

vhfive

Dyno said:
I'm re-posting this from the other thread. I think this is the better place for it...

Some character building advice from you advanced Dark Souls players would be appreciated here...

I'm a Level 25 Deprived with 24 Str, 15 Dex, 12 End & Vit, and the standard 11 in everything else. I have been playing around with whatever weapons I find but just keep coming back to my starting club which has A - rate for Strength. I'm just rocking the Club +5 and a Hollow Shield +5. It's been a challenge but I've defeated everything thrown at me including Black Knights.

I have cleared out the Undead Parish and Darkroot Garden. All the shortcuts in and around Firelink Shrine have been opened. I am half way through the Undead Basement but took a break because it is time for magic!

I'm going to buy my first spell but it kind of sets the course for my character. I have access to Miracles and Sorcery at the Firelink Shrine. Haven't met a Pyromancer yet. What do you think would work well with a weapon & shield type fighter? Miracles have some interesting stuff, Faith weapons lean towards strong characters and they are helpful versus various foes. Sorcery on the other hand gives decent ranged attacks - something I utterly lack.

I played a Miracle-backed fighter in Demon's Souls so I wouldn't mind a change. The thing is I have the Divine Ember for Faith weapons and the catacombs (which I was repelled from) is in my future.)

I find Pyromancy to be the best because it doesn't rely on either intelligence or faith, you upgrade your glove instead. This way you can keep on leveling str and dex and leave int and faith alone

scosher

Dyno said:

Since you didn't invest in Int, and don't seem on intending to, or Fai, you're best off going with Pyromancy as it isn't stat dependant. First Pyro trainer is in the Depths, the area after Lower Undead Burg (after killing
Capra Demon
)

Once you get to the hub, what way are you supposed to go? If I go up the path where the priest is, I get my ass handed to me by skeletons at a much high level, and if I go up the aquaduct where the firebomb zombie is, I end up in an undead town where I get mobbed by 7 guys at once with no way to run away. I'm assuming these are both supposed to be areas I go when I reach a higher level, but I have no idea where else to go besides that. HALP

Ken

Thagomizer said:
Once you get to the hub, what way are you supposed to go? If I go up the path where the priest is, I get my ass handed to me by skeletons at a much high level, and if I go up the aquaduct where the firebomb zombie is, I end up in an undead town where I get mobbed by 7 guys at once with no way to run away. I'm assuming these are both supposed to be areas I go when I reach a higher level, but I have no idea where else to go besides that. HALP
The what?

Dyno

Thagomizer said:

You need to get in the aqueduct and come out into the Undead Burg. That's the next area you should clear. It's never easy at first but it will teach you to fight. By the time you have cleared that area and opened up some shortcuts it will be much easier to move through that area.

This seems to be the Dark Souls way: Start an area = hard, leave an area = pie.

Ken said:
The what?

The what what? Right after the asylum, you are dropped off at a bonfire with a dude sulking about becoming a Hollow. Behind you is an aquaduct that leads to an Undead Burg where I get mobbed by a ton of weak enemies at once in a tiny space, and the other way, up some stairs near the priest that lets you join the Way of White, leads to a graveyard with skeletons that kill me instantly that I do almost no damage to. I'm assuming I'm missing something as both directions are completely stonewalling me.

EDIT: Thanks Dyno.

Ken

Thagomizer said:
The what what? Right after the asylum, you are dropped off at a bonfire with a dude sulking about becoming a Hollow. Behind you is an aquaduct that leads to an Undead Burg where I get mobbed by a ton of weak enemies at once in a tiny space, and the other way, up some stairs near the priest that lets you join the Way of White, leads to a graveyard with skeletons that kill me instantly that I do almost no damage to. I'm assuming I'm missing something as both directions are completely stonewalling me.

EDIT: Thanks Dyno.

Oh, Firelink Shrine?

Undead Burg> Undead Parish > Up the chapel to ring the bell

I was confused when you said priest because the Way of White guy is a cleric, and the path behind you should lead to New Londo Ruins (higher level area) and not Undead Burg. I also just called the aqueduct a bridge this whole time.

vhfive

Wallachia said:
Where is the one in Blighttown, what part of it?
If you enter Blighttown by exiting Quelaag's lair. She's against one of the pillars in the swamp (second one to your right I believe)

Wallachia

vhfive said:
If you enter Blighttown by exiting Quelaag's lair. She's against one of the pillars in the swamp (second one to your right I believe)

Oh thanks, well I got into Btown by way of The Depths, but I think I know where you mean. I went into Quelaags and got freaked out and left.. thanks!

Ken

vhfive said:
According to the wikis she only appears if you've upgraded your flame to a certain point with Laurentius.

kyubajin

So I finally made it to Blighttown for the first time and after a rather hard struggle with the first couple local mobs I got
the Toxic status out of nowhere
and died... now I just don't feel like going there anymore.

Have no holy weapons and I read those are required for Catacombs. The
rock automatons
inside Darkroot Garden just obliterate me and haven't tried the Basin after a Dark Knight raped me... Dunno if I should grind souls and get anti toxic moss or if I should go somewhere else :/

Already asked in the gaming section but I figured it had its place in the Community Help Thread so I'm asking here too.

I'm S.Level 124 now and it's been 2 runs in the depths so far and the butchers didn't drop their Sack (headgear), even with 410 Item Searching.
Anyone in my level range and who maybe has 2 of them and would be willing to give one to me? I could get you one Leo Ring in return for example.
I'm trying to get every object at least once and that Sack + the Symbol of the Covetous (from
Mimics
) are the only 2 "very limited availability" headgears I'm missing.

Madrical

Banned
I think I'm kinda stuck too. I summoned a guy at the start of Blighttown who dominated the first few huge guys. Without him, I would not have passed through there. He then fell off and died a while later and I'm standing in Blighttown really struggling to kill anything here. I don't know if I should find somewhere else to explore as this place seems to high level for me.. I'm only 28 using a Halberd +2.

Ken

Cloudius12 said:
either Laurentius or Egg man.

Oh, so that's what Eggman does. I had already maxed out my flame so selecting that option with Eggman gave me nothing.

Madrical said:
I think I'm kinda stuck too. I summoned a guy at the start of Blighttown who dominated the first few huge guys. Without him, I would not have passed through there. He then fell off and died a while later and I'm standing in Blighttown really struggling to kill anything here. I don't know if I should find somewhere else to explore as this place seems to high level for me.. I'm only 28 using a Halberd +2.

If you take it slow, watch for the toxic blow dart users, and don't fall off any platforms, you should be fine. The big guys are pretty easy to take out with backstabs and such as they are so slow.

Madrical

Banned
Ken said:
Oh, so that's what Eggman does. I had already maxed out my flame so selecting that option with Eggman gave me nothing.

If you take it slow, watch for the toxic blow dart users, and don't fall off any platforms, you should be fine. The big guys are pretty easy to take out with backstabs and such as they are so slow.
Oh that's what they are? I killed one earlier that kept trying to hit me. Eek, ok thanks for the advice! Hard boss in this area?

Ken

Madrical said:
Oh that's what they are? I killed one earlier that kept trying to hit me. Eek, ok thanks for the advice! Hard boss in this area?

The boss in Blighttown is actually pretty easy since she telegraphs all her moves.

For the toxic blowdart people, make sure you don't get hit by many darts. If you don't have good toxin resisting armor, two or three hits will give you toxicity and it will stay on you long after you run out of estus trying to out heal it.

WX3

Soulhouf said:
I will try that during my NG+. Thanks.
Soul, also, try to stay center of the dragon, when he spews the cloud, he will follow it about four large steps in the same direction. I wait til he stops, them melee him by standing between his front and rear quarters. Get in a stamina bar full of hits, then run straight away and even with the tail he will miss you if you can make the distance. I am less of an ace than most and I figured this out.

Capra demon however, I struggled with way too much. The time I did beat him, I was amazed at how bad my previous tries went as the final fight seemed like a was the master of all things kick ass!

Zzoram

Toxic blow dart spitters do not respawn. Suicide run to kill them one at a time if you must, it just makes your next attempt far easier.

Also, the Spider Shield is the only shield in the game that 100% blocks the toxin darts if you block them.

Well...I basically hit easy mode and blew past a bunch a stuff and now I really need to slow down and make a weapon besides the Drake. I was smart enoguh to only fight the Taurus boss alone.
Every boss fight Ive been in I've summoned 2 other guys so its been a breeze.

What I did was pick Pyro and the master key. Spend all my souls pumping nothing but Vitality and only enough Strenth/Agility to put on the Bow then to get on the Drake.
Then got the Havel ring and Devine Protection (screw the gold armor, I wanted the ring early!)

Spent every soul point in Vitality pretty much.
Nothing in Faith, Resistance, Intellegnce etc.....besides Sticking all the points in Vitality I did do a few tho in Strength (at 20 now) and to get a third Pyro slot so I had 16 Fireballs and Orbs.
Was smart enough to Enhance my Pyro glove, that helped alot.

Now Im at lvl 35 and Ive got both bells rang over 1000 HP and massive endurance. Did ninja runs into all the areas I could were Im not doing enough damage so I got a ton of weapons and armors.

I need to farm souls BAD and make a weapon (not a fan of the spear, would use the lighting spear...kinda digging the Shotel and Demon Great Machete!)

Oh...and I right after the Queen fight I went down to the hidden room.

Well I killed the guy in front of the silent spider lady..

This is bad huh?

He looked like a damn enemy!! GAH!!

Tonza

Any tips for Ornstein and Smough? I have +5 furysword and Im SL 64.

They just hit too hard and dodging is pretty difficult..

I'm stuck in Blighttown. Where do go after that walkway with the fire breathing flies? Please tell me I'm near the bonfire.

Fuck this place.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
toasty_T said:
I'm stuck in Blighttown. Where do go after that walkway with the fire breathing flies? Please tell me I'm near the bonfire.

Fuck this place.

If you just want to goto the boss, go right from the bonfire and across the poison swamp.
Be human so you can get some people to help you

UrbanRats

Alright listen:
I want the
ninja roll ring, so i need to join the forest covenant and kill Shiva's bodyguard to get it
, but i then want to go back to my chaos covenant, do i have to absolve my sins to do this?

2AdEPT

UrbanRats said:
Alright listen:
I want the
ninja roll ring, so i need to join the forest covenant and kill Shiva's bodyguard to get it
, but i then want to go back to my chaos covenant, do i have to absolve my sins to do this?
I'm wondering the same thing.....I always join all covenants to get their initial gift (except Alvina so that I could farm) and then rejoin the chaos. Do I lose my humanity gift level if I leave or does it pick up where I left off? I absolved sins in the order of 100000 souls after farming....haven' tried talking to alvina.......you should only have to absolve sins if you kill covenant members who could be considered NPC's. so no, you won't necessarily have to pay the priest to get back with chaos....but be weary of your humanity....i gave 20 then left to get princess ring...then rejoined.....can't tell if I lost my standing or not as I wasn't really sure how strong my chaos flames were vs. ORN and Smu.

vhfive

Tonza said:
Any tips for Ornstein and Smough? I have +5 furysword and Im SL 64.

They just hit too hard and dodging is pretty difficult..
become human and summon solaire and/or another player. There are usually tons of summon marks around there.

So before I head into the dreaded Blighttown for the first time, any advice or stuff I should be sure to bring along? I got a bunch of the moss for healing, as well as an anti-curse stone or whatever it's called. Anything else I should make a point to get/do?

Ken

SUBZERO-08 said:
So before I head into the dreaded Blighttown for the first time, any advice or stuff I should be sure to bring along? I got a bunch of the moss for healing, as well as an anti-curse stone or whatever it's called. Anything else I should make a point to get/do?

The moss that gets rid of toxin. There's no one in Blighttown that can curse you, IIRC; just poison (some of the enemies and the swamp) and toxic (non-respawning blow dart users).

1stStrike

Banned
Saren is Bad said:
What is the water elevator shortcut I hear about?

It's the water wheel that can be accessed from the swamp, or by going through the rear entrance to BlightTown from the Drake side. You can get up from the swamp or go down from above and be right next to the bonfire and the boss.

2AdEPT

2AdEPT said:
I'm wondering the same thing.....I always join all covenants to get their initial gift (except Alvina so that I could farm) and then rejoin the chaos. Do I lose my humanity gift level if I leave or does it pick up where I left off? I absolved sins in the order of 100000 souls after farming....haven' tried talking to alvina.......you should only have to absolve sins if you kill covenant members who could be considered NPC's. so no, you won't necessarily have to pay the priest to get back with chaos....but be weary of your humanity....i gave 20 then left to get princess ring...then rejoined.....can't tell if I lost my standing or not as I wasn't really sure how strong my chaos flames were vs. ORN and Smu.

Well the good news is that I got teh alvina covenant started and won't lose Shiva...but I went further to kill the hydra and when I came back to summon the vendor I got ambushed by two golems.....I was careful not to hit the vendor, but when I killed a golem one swung at me and I think it killed the vendor....why did I summon with enemies around??????? She dropped the armour which includes the helm for light....but losing the chameleon and body hide spells was harsh.

I think the chaos covenant kept my humanities counts even though I hopped around in covenenants....I gave a single humanity before switching to forest, and I ascended in rank....how many humanities does it take to get to increase rank....hopefully not one! ;p

Nekrono

Can you not get the
Drake Sword
anymore? I've shot around 100 arrows to this
dragon's tail
and nothing!

Edit: Got it, had to restart the game.

Top Bottom