• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Community Help Thread | Both humans and hollow are welcome!

Insaniac

for pyromancers:

The Bellowing Dragoncrest ring description says it "boost sorceries". It boosts sorcery damage by about 33%, but it also affects Pyromancies. So if you're looking to buff your damage, buy this ring. 20,000 souls from Griggs of Vinheim

sixghost

Jonsoncao said:
For a Dex build thief, it is pretty useful if you could access to Blighttown early in the game for the
shadow armor set(looks like ninja) and Iaido katana
I don't think the Ninja armor is much of an upgrade from the starter armor for a thief. The defense rating is the same, but I think the ninja armor has more poison resist, which won't mean much until you're in blighttown anyway.

The gold robes are the significant upgrade for a thief.

Varna said:
This question got buried in the OT. Maybe someone here can help me.

My first character is a high dexterity Wanderer (no magic). Currently using Balder's sword+5 and sporting + 3 Wanderer's gear. Will I find some better weapons I can do normal upgrades on? Will there be a better light set of armor similar to the default gear later on?

i upgraded most of my wanderer armor to +3 and my main weapon to +5 until i found better stuff and yes, you will find better stuff naturally later, just keep playing.

54-46!

Without getting in to specifics, any general tips when it comes to exploring and buying/finding items? I try to search out as much as I can, but I'm guessing there are a lot of hidden stuff I might miss.

Are souls shared between players in co-op?

rCIZZLE

Is using a bow as the primary wep viable? I've yet to run into any powerful bows but I've always fancied bow and arrow in games that it's an option in.

rCIZZLE said:
Is using a bow as the primary wep viable?

It seems possible, yes. But at the same time, I'd wonder how you go about getting a bow with the stats required. Like, maybe it'd be possible in NG++ or something, but you're not taking out Hydra or Ceaseless Discharge with a +4 Shortbow, ya know?

Then again, I have no idea, really. ;P

LogicStep

Figured I would ask here.

How do I get a cursed weapon? I want one for when I got to
New Londo Ruins
so I don't have to deal with the consumables. Also, along the same lines of the previous question, how do I get the
Cursed Great Sword of Astorias
? Either one would work fine I think for that area.

Thanks.

rCIZZLE

NEOPARADIGM said:
It seems possible, yes. But at the same time, I'd wonder how you go about getting a bow with the stats required. Like, maybe it'd be possible in NG++ or something, but you're not taking out Hydra or Ceaseless Discharge with a +4 Shortbow, ya know?

Then again, I have no idea, really. ;P

Ya I would like the challenge of building a glass cannon archer for NG+ but only if I was able to acquire a powerful bow and/or steady supply of powerful arrows. I'm only at b-town and I still haven't seen a better bow than the short bow as a drop/in a shop anywhere. Maybe someone who beat it or is near beating it can give me some hope. :p

Cesar

Banned
This red caped vendor in New Londo, I want to kill him to get the key or should I let him live, is he important?

So i have a question

I have upgraded my spare Estoc to +5. i have some other upgrade stones like twinkiling titanite or blue something or other. i go to the blacksmith in the undead parish near the entrance to the forest and i click Reinforce Weapon or whatever - and the Estoc doesnt show up because i cant upgrade it.

How can i upgrade this weapon? I have seen some ppl say that you have to "give" stones to the blacksmith. cant i just see what he can/cant upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to waste stones.

duckroll said:
Okay, basically, when you first reinforce a weapon, you are only able to use Titanite Shards to upgrade it to +1, +2, +3, etc. This goes up to +5. Once it hits +5, you need to use "Modify Weapon" at a Blacksmith to decide the next upgrade path for the weapon. You need to max out the upgrade tier of a path before you can jump to the next path.

in regards to the modify weapon - i click that but he says i dont have the right components. do i just have to have them in stock or do i have to somehow "give" these things to the blacksmith?

Dreaver

What would be a good upgrade for the Drake Sword (+1)?
I am heading into Sen's Castle tonight, I am wondering if there is any worthy upgrade (soon).

hamchan

Dreaver said:
What would be a good upgrade for the Drake Sword (+1)?
I am heading into Sen's Castle tonight, I am wondering if there is any worthy upgrade (soon).

You're going to find the Lightning Spear very soon.

EDarkness

There should be a guide like this for the first game. I game up because I was wandering around and didn't know where to go.

Natiko

Banned
Insaniac said:
for pyromancers:

The Bellowing Dragoncrest ring description says it "boost sorceries". It boosts sorcery damage by about 33%, but it also affects Pyromancies. So if you're looking to buff your damage, buy this ring. 20,000 souls from Griggs of Vinheim
Wow, really? Seems really weird. Definitely going to have to look into this.

What is the best curved sword to upgrade to the Quelaag Fury Sword? I've hit a brick wall with Smough and Ornstein, so I'm upgrading my weapons..

MarshMellow96 said:
What is the best curved sword to upgrade to the Quelaag Fury Sword? I've hit a brick wall with Smough and Ornstein, so I'm upgrading my weapons..

It doesn't really matter I believe, once you convert it to the fury sword, the stats are the same. Just pick one you like to use or one you have doubles of. I'm upgrading a Scimitar to +10 for it because it only costs 800 souls from the undead merchant

razgriz417 said:
It doesn't really matter I believe, once you convert it to the fury sword, the stats are the same. Just pick one you like to use or one you have doubles of. I'm upgrading a Scimitar to +10 for it because it only costs 800 souls from the undead merchant

I've got a spare scimitar. I don't suppose you'd be able to tell me where I can find the demon shards that I need, would you?

Timber

I've got a Battle Axe +10 right now and I'm looking to upgrade it using demon titanite, but apparently I first need to modify it using a boss soul. I can get it modified into a Golem Axe, but this deducts 35 points of phys damage. Will I be able to further upgrade it into a demon weapon right away or should I wait?

MrCow

hey guys

i could use some help with the area 3
boss with the 2 dogs

i need help from someone around lvl 25 (the lvl cap for help is still in right?)
i'm a warrior from germany

Interfectum

Marbles said:
After 5 hours with DS i've came to the conclusion that DS is the first true 3D Castlevania.

Dark Souls is a glimpse at a gaming future we never got. Somewhere along the lines gaming got dumbed down beyond all recognition to the point where DS is seen as some sort of niche, impossible gaming experience. Pretty sad.

MrCow

mjc said:
Any tips on fighting the red dragon? You need to kill him to get into the lower undead burg right?

you don't need to kill him.
you have to use the locked door after the first boss fight on top of the castle walls to get to the lower undead burg (where i'm stuck btw so maybe we could help each other out)

orion434

Question: If I absolve my sins does this bring NPC's back to life or does it just get rid of their aggression if I accidently attacked them? Basically if I absolve my sins can I bring back Engi from the dead?

Posted this in the main thread too, but it clearly moves way too fast:

Found some info on reddit that could help folks play co-op with friends

HOW TO EASILY CO-OP WITH FRIENDS

I'm not sure if many have figured this out yet, but I haven't really seen it posted here.
I was watching a stream of some dude playing Dark Souls the other day and he was constantly summoning his friend into his boss fights/areas. I asked him how he did it and he happily told me. Apparently, whenever you drop your White Soapstone, it's placed on a random server. If you drop it again, it's placed on a server different than the one it was before. So a buddy of mine thought we'd try out this guy's method of summoning his friend. My friend would drop his soapstone, and wait about 20 second, and drop it again until I told him I seen it, which I did eventually, every time. Sometimes it took five minutes, one time it took around 11 minutes, but that's because the first two times I seen his stone, he dropped another one before I told him I seen it, so the summon would fail.
TL;DR: Drop Soapstone near buddy every 20-30 seconds. Buddy should see it eventually when it lands on his server. Summon him up

orion434

Dechaios said:
Can somebody tell me where the entrance to Blight Town is? I just beat
gaping dragon

Go back to the hallway where the Merchant Domnhall of Zena is sitting on the floor, the entrance is there door right there.

Jonsoncao said:
For a Dex build thief, it is pretty useful if you could access to Blighttown early in the game for the
shadow armor set(looks like ninja) and Iaido katana

What I meant is if I have the mystery key as my starting gift, does that open the same door as the New Londo key (It seems as though it does)? Good to know, I might just trek through that area to see if I can find some stuff. I've been wanting a katana, but didn't want to
kill the merchant to get the Uchi since I don't have another one to by arrows from yet.

walbertsmith said:
Posted this in the main thread too, but it clearly moves way too fast:

Found some info on reddit that could help folks play co-op with friends

HOW TO EASILY CO-OP WITH FRIENDS

I'm not sure if many have figured this out yet, but I haven't really seen it posted here.
I was watching a stream of some dude playing Dark Souls the other day and he was constantly summoning his friend into his boss fights/areas. I asked him how he did it and he happily told me. Apparently, whenever you drop your White Soapstone, it's placed on a random server. If you drop it again, it's placed on a server different than the one it was before. So a buddy of mine thought we'd try out this guy's method of summoning his friend. My friend would drop his soapstone, and wait about 20 second, and drop it again until I told him I seen it, which I did eventually, every time. Sometimes it took five minutes, one time it took around 11 minutes, but that's because the first two times I seen his stone, he dropped another one before I told him I seen it, so the summon would fail.
TL;DR: Drop Soapstone near buddy every 20-30 seconds. Buddy should see it eventually when it lands on his server. Summon him up

Isn't this common knowledge?

_dementia said:
Isn't this common knowledge?

Yes, it is. But also take into account something else:

blitzcloud said:
This may be pure speculation but the reason why I couldn't see my friend was that we were on "The way of White" covenant. Both of us. As soon as we left the covenant we started seeing eachother again.

Just a speculation about it. I'm talking about 100 attempts while in covenant, 2 succeeded attempts in a row without reloading the game after leaving the covenant.

Hope this will help some of you.

Despite what the wiki said that we would be more likely to find eachother, we were less likely than ever.

Patryn

So, after Blightown, should I go to:

Demon's Ruin, through that gate that opened, or the Catacombs? Or Darkroot Basin?

Patryn said:
So, after Blightown, should I go to:

Demon's Ruin, through that gate that opened, or the Catacombs? Or Darkroot Basin?

I'm curious about that as well. I've been doing various errands/grinding/upgrading after finishing Blightown but I'd like to know where the next suggested destination is.

Ken

Facism said:
how do you get the miracles associated with princess guard?
I think I picked both of them up from an enemy in
Duke's Archive off those blue slug-squid monsters.

Jonsoncao

Banned
sixghost said:
I don't think the Ninja armor is much of an upgrade from the starter armor for a thief. The defense rating is the same, but I think the ninja armor has more poison resist, which won't mean much until you're in blighttown anyway.

The gold robes are the significant upgrade for a thief.

Ninja set is nice since it's lightweight, you could wield relatively heavy shield and weapon in the beginning of the game, and thanks for the gold set tip, gonna go for it after finishing the painted world.

EasyMode

Something I noticed when I knocked an NPC off a cliff: At first I was worried that I lost his loot forever, but after quitting to the menu and reloading, his loot was left where he was originally standing.

matmanx1

Had a bit of a DUH moment last night as I consulted my strat guide about my bow questions. It seems obvious now but bows do indeed follow the same upgrade path as other weapons. Lightning, fire, divine, etc. are all valid paths for a bow just like they would be for anything else.

Darkmoon bow is the only boss soul bow in the guide although there are a few unique drop bows like the Black Bow of Pharis.

I'm working on my short bow now and have it up to +8 with the idea of taking it to +10 and then converting it to a Lightning bow once I have the option to do so. I'm still torn on the Darkmoon bow as it does nice magic damage but also scales with either Int or Faith (I don't have my guide in front of me to check right now) and I wasn't planning on investing in either of those stats.

Guys, please help me, I'm totally stupid about this.

I want to join the secret covenant
Dark Wraith but I've already spoken with Framps (big long neck toothy guy in F. Shrine). However, I do not have the Lordvessel yet and I haven't gotten the Abyss Key from Ingrid (red robed guy in New Londo) - so I may still have a chance to join. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to talk to Ingrid and I've tried to progress further in New Londo with no avail since I do not have a key to unlock the door near the large gateway adjacent to Drake Valley. Ingrid is chilling out on a roof but I have no idea how to get to him, furthermore, I don't even know what I need to do in order to get into the covenant Dark Wraith at this point. Please, please help! Thanks!

EDIT - Ugh! I meant, haven't, damn it's not my day :(

chris121580

My God...I know this third boss isn't as difficult as I'm making it out to be. I barely get in the room before I get slaughtered or I get stuck in the pillars on the right. Any advice?

deim0s

chris121580 said:
My God...I know this third boss isn't as difficult as I'm making it out to be. I barely get in the room before I get slaughtered or I get stuck in the pillars on the right. Any advice?
Try not to go right then. It helps a lot if you're mobile, less than half of your equip burden. Try not to lock as well, so you could maneuver to rid of the dogs first.

Do we know "officially" how close you have to be in soul level to assist one another. I'd love to be able to help out a bud of mine who's struggling with a boss but I'm level 30 and he's level 14 or so.

Raxus

I am at sen's fortress and the serpents are giving me hell. Is the drake sword not even worth it at this point? Should I look to upgrade something else? Or should I go get another dragon scale from the hydra and upgrade my blade again?

Ken

Raxus said:
I am at sen's fortress and the serpents are giving me hell. Is the drake sword not even worth it at this point? Should I look to upgrade something else? Or should I go get another dragon scale from the hydra and upgrade my blade again?

You should look for a new weapon. I used the Great Dragon Axe thing from the Gaping Dragon for all of Sen's.

Sir Garbageman said:
Do we know "officially" how close you have to be in soul level to assist one another. I'd love to be able to help out a bud of mine who's struggling with a boss but I'm level 30 and he's level 14 or so.

From the official Bandai website:

Due to several contacts we've received from users confused as to how the summoning feature works in game, we have provided this list to help.
Conditions for summoning (White Sign Soapstone):
The host (person who's game world will be used) must be human. The client (person joining the game) can either be human or undead.
The client’s level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the host’s level. Generally, this example formula should give you a good idea on whether you will be able to join: (LC x 1.1) ≥ LH ≥ (LC x 0.9), where is LC the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of the host is 20, then they will only be able to summon players who are levels 18 to 22.
The area boss (Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, etc…) in the host’s world must still be alive. A client can still be summoned even if the client has already defeated their own area boss.
The host must not have placed down a summoning sign. Summoning signs from other players will not appear in a host’s world if the host also has placed a summoning sign down. This is to prevent a network conflict of the host joining someone else's game world while the clients are trying to join the host's game world.
After successfully summoning, the client will return to their world if the area boss is defeated, the client is killed or the host is killed. Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game.

hamchan

Raxus said:
You can find the Lightning Spear in there and it's a great weapon.

Top Bottom