• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Sullichin

I don't think you should have to. In the grand scheme of things, spoiling locations by mentioning their name or what the level is about is silly. Yet Dark Souls fan are a different breed. I would think the mods could recognize that (seeing as how they're gamers and have probably played the Souls series) and realize how important a PC OT is to those of us who are waiting to play the PC version. Not only does the hardware necessitate different discussion (mods, performance tweaking, KB+M configuration, etc) but from a content standpoint, PC players want the same experience that console players had, the ability to discover a new game together. Where's the fun in discovering things together as community if everything I've found out has already been posted a month and half before? Does having two OTs really ruin NeoGAF for other people?

I got the game a week early and stayed away from the OT. By the time I was almost done with the game, on release day, I came here and I couldn't believe how many people were talking about shit I didn't know. Lots of people play the game blind, sure. But i kind of wish the guide was never made.

Actually other places were much worse than GAF on release. So many people watching streams of someone who got the game early. And that person was already cheating!

Gotta disagree there. You still need to hit him to beat him. The only similarity is the one shot kills.
I'd say Dragon King is the Bed of Chaos is the
Executioner Chariot
if anything.
They're the puzzle bosses.
Excecutioner Chariot
is the best one in that category by far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have a question:

Ive raised my INT to 53 but I have doubts about this. I dont find the Soul Arrouw very affactive. It seems Lighting (FTH build) is much more powerful.

Is this true, should I use a Soule Vessel?
What catalyst are you using? At 53 int you can use the best sorcery staff in the game, the
Staff of Wisdom
found in the
Dragon Shrine
. Maxed out, it's a monster, but it does require twinkling (as does everything worthwhile on a mage -_-). I wear the Ring of Knowledge and the King's Crown (before that, the Desert Sorceress Hood, both have the +3 int bonus) which brings up my int to like 58, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow is pretty strong. In PvP, Soul Greatsword and a fully-connecting Homing Crystal Soulmass OHKO most players, haha.

Zero poise would defeat heavy weapons. Get a dagger and stun lock everyone. It wouldn't work at all.
There was zero poise in Demon's Souls... and it has the best PvP of all three games. :p
Of course, despite the lack of poise, there wasn't that much stunlocking in Demon's. Every hit would stagger you a bit, but the hitstun was moderate and you could usually roll away or hold up your shield after one hit. The attacks that did stunlock, could be escaped with the weapon toggle switch trick. So despite all its glitches and flaws, it was still the most balanced (and fun) PvP. Not to mention, you had Second Chance, which meant that you could survive any hit that OHKOs (and few things did at high level, except backstabs from certain weapons, and ripostes).

Man, I miss Demon's Souls PvP...

I am really dumbfounded as to why there is no Red Eye Orb in this game. Making invasions a scarce commodity merely kills invasions. I think I've been invaded once. It's completely stupid.
My opinion is that they remove red eye Orb so people wont get annoyed by invasion in NG.
I get why they did it, to prevent low-level griefing, but it should have been available in NG+ at least.

Solaire and Tarkus would like a word those two don't even compare.
Tarkus I'll grant you but Solaire died quite frequently. Especially against Gaping and S&O, and even Centipede Demon. He was good as a distraction, little else.

I recently bought the Alva set and was disappointed to find that only the chest had a really good protection/weight ratio due to the scaling. Otherwise, my Drangleic armor is better and not that much heavier. I've been playing with my weight burden between 60% and 69%. Is there any benefit to going all Alva to reduce weight or does it not really matter as long as I'm under 70%?
The Alva armour looks better though. :) I never go with the full sets myself, because they're too heavy. I wear the chest piece, and lighter pieces for leggings and gloves, such as wanderer or rogue boots or gloves, since they still look good without overburdening me. No helmet except perhaps a hood, I like to see my character's faces. Though if I'm hollow I might wear a helmet temporarily, I hate seeing the zombie face. :D

Strip it all off. That's the only way, armor does you no help here.
yup, it's a one hit kill anyway so armor of any kind is useless.
I wish people would stop saying that. Do you people get to end-game with only 15 VIG or what? With about 40 VIG, if you stack decent fire defense you WILL survive the fire breath. Moreover, the best elemental-resisting armour is often the lighter ones, so you don't need to sacrifice mobility or stamina regen or anything. If you cast Flash Sweat or use Small Orange Burrs, you need even less VIG than that, though of course there's the danger that it expires.

I beat a coop-buffed Ancient Dragon solo with my mage. I was with my friend, who died almost instantly at the beginning of the fight. I had about 40 VIG, and wore the Flame Quartz Ring+1 and decent cloth armour: Witch Robe (+0, stupid twinkling...), Desert Sorceress Hood+9 and Skirt+9, Lion Cuffs+9. With Flash Sweat active, if I got hit, I lost about 45% of my health, and needed 1 estus + 1 lifegem to fully recover. I even got hit once after it expired and survived with a sliver (needed 2 estus and 1 lifegem to fully recover, IIRC). It was a long fight due to its defense buff, and I had to use 1 or 2 amber herbs to refill my stronger sorceries (and get an extra Flash Sweat), but I won without too much trouble otherwise. I know it's better to not get it at all, but the fight is far more manageable and forgiving if you can survive the fire, since that thing can be unreliable. I got hit by the fire maybe 3 or 4 times.

On my STR I can do it without getting hit with the Gyrm Greatshield, but even then I'd prefer to be able to survive the fire, just in case I mess up. It's a long fight and having to redo it all over for one small mistake is just not fun.

So, to anyone who needs advice against the Ancient Dragon, I say, don't listen to the "go naked" fools; stack that VIG and fire defense. :p It's totally worth it, and plenty of light armour sets have good fire resistance.

Decided I'd burn the bonfire in the holding cells to farm that heide knight once or twice, ended up getting the whole armour set and only 1 dupe! Now I want to do a fashion souls soul vessel and go full on lightning lol.
Does using an Ascetic on that bonfire buff up a boss? I wonder which bonfire respawns the Sentinels... McDuff's? Or Tower Apart? Also, does that knight drop another weapon than the spear? I know the one in the Shrine of Winter drops first a Lance, then a Greatlance in NG+, so I was wondering...

gankers are the worst. I got summoned into a 2-party that tried to ambush me. So I quickly WotG on the host. hehehe
When dealing with gankers, I now tend to leave quickly.
Haha yeah. Yesterday I was PvPing in the Iron Keep, and died as a host to an invader. I decided to drop a Small White Soapstone for a quick coop session to regain my body instead of using an Effigy, but, as expected, I got summoned by a ganker instead who hanged around the bridge. I ignored him and ran off to kill some enemies. He summons a red and ran after me. I killed the last knight before the Smelter fog before Duty Fulfilled appeared, and I saw a red phantom run after the host with some buff on his weapon, lol. I don't know the outcome of their fight but the host sent me a message, "WTF is wrong with you".

Funny to get hatemail for using a game feature as intended by the developers, haha.

duckroll

We've heard the feedback regarding the PC thread, and discussed it. It's a fair point that sometimes a solution doesn't fit every situation. Having considered that, it would be fair to let the PC-only players experience the game the way everyone who has already played it did. This thread will be retired into Community, and those still playing the game can continue to discuss the game as they are used to.

The PC OT will be reopened to allow new players on PC the fresh experience and interaction with fellow players. But when the time comes for the PC OT to be be moved into Community within a month or so, instead of the PC OTs continuing on an individual series of threads in Community, it would make more sense for discussion at that point to be centralized. At that point there will be a single on-going OT for future Dark Souls 2 discussion in Community, since most players would be experienced enough with the game to interact freely.

I hope this solution is satisfactory, and addresses the concerns expressed. Thanks for understanding.

impact

Banned
We've heard the feedback regarding the PC thread, and discussed it. It's a fair point that sometimes a solution doesn't fit every situation. Having considered that, it would be fair to let the PC-only players experience the game the way everyone who has already played it did. This thread will be retired into Community, and those still playing the game can continue to discuss the game as they are used to.

The PC OT will be reopened to allow new players on PC the fresh experience and interaction with fellow players. But when the time comes for the PC OT to be be moved into Community within a month or so, instead of the PC OTs continuing on an individual series of threads in Community, it would make more sense for discussion at that point to be centralized. At that point there will be a single on-going OT for future Dark Souls 2 discussion in Community, since most players would be experienced enough with the game to interact freely.

I hope this solution is satisfactory, and addresses the concerns expressed. Thanks for understanding.

Praise the sun!

Sounds like a fine solution. Thanks :)

antitrop

Perfect. You're the man, dawg.

Garcia

Thank you, duckroll. :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
so is Ancient Dragon the Bed of Chaos of Dark Souls 2?

Nah. If you mean in the sense that he's the most hated, then probably. He's not very fun to fight. But he's not a gimmicky puzzle boss like Bed of Chaos or the Dragon God from Demon's Souls, he's an actual bona fide boss that you fight head-on. He's just annoying because
most of his attacks OHKO (if your HP isn't fairly high, all of them will OHKO) and one of his particular attack is fairly difficult to dodge consistently. So you can see why that would be a pain in the ass.

Soulflarz

Banned

Thanks, great solution :3

I wish people would stop saying that. Do you people get to end-game with only 15 VIG or what? With about 40 VIG, if you stack decent fire defense you WILL survive the fire breath. Moreover, the best elemental-resisting armour is often the lighter ones, so you don't need to sacrifice mobility or stamina regen or anything. If you cast Flash Sweat or use Small Orange Burrs, you need even less VIG than that, though of course there's the danger that it expires.

I beat a coop-buffed Ancient Dragon solo with my mage. I was with my friend, who died almost instantly at the beginning of the fight. I had about 40 VIG, and wore the Flame Quartz Ring+1 and decent cloth armour: Witch Robe (+0, stupid twinkling...), Desert Sorceress Hood+9 and Skirt+9, Lion Cuffs+9. With Flash Sweat active, if I got hit, I lost about 45% of my health, and needed 1 estus + 1 lifegem to fully recover. I even got hit once after it expired and survived with a sliver (needed 2 estus and 1 lifegem to fully recover, IIRC). It was a long fight due to its defense buff, and I had to use 1 or 2 amber herbs to refill my stronger sorceries (and get an extra Flash Sweat), but I won without too much trouble otherwise. I know it's better to not get it at all, but the fight is far more manageable and forgiving if you can survive the fire, since that thing can be unreliable. I got hit by the fire maybe 3 or 4 times.

On my STR I can do it without getting hit with the Gyrm Greatshield, but even then I'd prefer to be able to survive the fire, just in case I mess up. It's a long fight and having to redo it all over for one small mistake is just not fun.

So, to anyone who needs advice against the Ancient Dragon, I say, don't listen to the "go naked" fools; stack that VIG and fire defense. :p It's totally worth it, and plenty of light armour sets have good fire resistance.

See, I feel like I tried this on my first 10 tries on the dragon, and was still getting toasted in one shot. Maybe I was missing one part of the armor equation you mentioned. Do you take more damage from the fire if you turn and run as oppose to putting up the shield and taking it head on?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Excellent. Now that we are banished to the Gutter (aka Community), we may plot freely on how to best serve the Dark.

GulAtiCa

Haha yeah. Yesterday I was PvPing in the Iron Keep, and died as a host to an invader. I decided to drop a Small White Soapstone for a quick coop session to regain my body instead of using an Effigy, but, as expected, I got summoned by a ganker instead who hanged around the bridge. I ignored him and ran off to kill some enemies. He summons a red and ran after me. I killed the last knight before the Smelter fog before Duty Fulfilled appeared, and I saw a red phantom run after the host with some buff on his weapon, lol. I don't know the outcome of their fight but the host sent me a message, "WTF is wrong with you".

Funny to get hatemail for using a game feature as intended by the developers, haha.

I once got summoned into Iron Keep as a white phantom only to be killed a second later by a fellow white phantom (actually a red in disguise). I now don't trust others in co-op. :lol

I knew something was odd when they bowed to me while having an enemy right behind them. So I knew something was off. While doing my "hello" animation, I quickly tried to target onto the co-op guy, and notice I could. I sadly didn't think of rolloing away, so the guy end up backstabing me. So dumb.

LiK

See, I feel like I tried this on my first 10 tries on the dragon, and was still getting toasted in one shot. Maybe I was missing one part of the armor equation you mentioned. Do you take more damage from the fire if you turn and run as oppose to putting up the shield and taking it head on?

i have Gyrm Shield at +10 and you survive the hit at first but the flames keep going so the second hit kills you. I tried it out. It's easier just to avoid the flame breath entirely. You can try gathering all the armor he mentioned but why bother when you can evade it instead.

legacyzero

Banned

Awesome, thanks!

Did anyone get really good at parrying yet? =/

I'm totally proud of myself for winning a few fights with set up parries and a really low amount of first attack parries. :p

Takes me much longer to get gud in this game than in the other two. :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Whenever I'd get it by it, I was in the middle of a run (but wasn't fast enough or went in the wrong direction or whatever). I think it counts as a direct hit if you're in the middle of a jump, I notice that if I get hit by anything during a jump I take a lot more damage, and in that case you'll get one-shot for sure.

What was your HP total? On my mage I had 40 VIG and the Third Dragon Ring. I forgot if I had Life+2 equipped too; I know I had the Ring of Knowledge and possibly Flame Quartz+1. Not sure if I used Clearstone+1 or Life+2.

On my STR I definitely had both the Life+2, Flame Quartz+1, and Third Dragon Ring. I think my VIG was lower than 40 and I survived. I wore Alva armour+9, Falconer Helm+9, and some lighter pieces (I think Wanderer Boots and gloves, probably both at +9), don't remember what exactly. I survived the fire breath, but I only ever got hit once (when it flew up at a weird angle and my shield didn't block it).

i have Gyrm Shield at +10 and you survive the hit at first but the flames keep going so the second hit kills you. I tried it out. It's easier just to avoid the flame breath entirely. You can try gathering all the armor he mentioned but why bother when you can evade it instead.
Huh? On my str I used that shield at +9 and could take both ticks of the fire breath without taking damage. It did drain my stamina, but I took 0 damage and had enough time to recover my stamina. You must have had really low endurance if the second tick even hit you. :S My END was at about 20, I think (don't recall off hand), not that high, though I did have the slight stamina boost from the 3rd Dragon Ring.

Yeah the branch is a good find. I'm probably just annoyed by the stupid poison. It's not challenging just annoying.

There are 2 branches in Harvest Valley btw. ;)
If you're running out of moss you can just pop a lifegem to counteract the poison. Luckily this is pretty much the only place where you would ever have to do that.

How on earth are you meant to melee the Ancient Dragon?!

You hit it it the shins until it dies. I still think the run to the dragon is the harder part.
His only dangerous attack is when he flies up and breathes fire downward. I always run towards his tail when he does that. That usually does the trick unless I miscalculate and I get squashed by his tail when he lands again. xD

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

His two front feets. Basis of the strategy is whacking one of them, and backing up to bait him into turning that way to breath ground flame. While you run under him to the other front foot.

Scher

Melee strategies seem to be very focused on staying at the back of the boss. I had focused on staying by his back feet in order to try and bait out either a stomp or to make him stay on the ground and breath fire underneath him towards his tail. I think he only flew up in the air twice when I finally beat him.

You hit it it the shins until it dies. I still think the run to the dragon is the harder part.
His only dangerous attack is when he flies up and breathes fire downward. I always run towards his tail when he does that. That usually does the trick unless I miscalculate and I get squashed by his tail when he lands again. xD

His two front feets. Basis of the strategy is whacking one of them, and backing up to bait him into turning that way to breath ground flame. While you run under him to the other front foot.

Melee strategies seem to be very focused on staying at the back of the boss. I had focused on staying by his back feet in order to try and bait out either a stomp or to make him stay on the ground and breath fire underneath him towards his tail. I think he only flew up in the air twice when I finally beat him.

Whenever it goes airborne, I can't avoid the flames. About half the time I can get behind quickly enough, but it's not a solid solution! I'm already running naked to boost my speed/stam recovery. Also have the cloth ring.

Whenever it goes airborne, I can't avoid the flames. About half the time I can get behind quickly enough, but it's not a solid solution! I'm already running naked to boost my speed/stam recovery. Also have the cloth ring.

Yeah, you really have to react as soon as he takes off. I did it with medium weight so you do get enough time if you react fast enough. Besides that try baiting the stomp attack by attacking his hind legs while standing under him. You'll either see him lift his leg to stomp or poke his head towards you to breathe fire. Both attacks will give you a good amount of hits on him.

Thinking about doing a list of my favorite parts of all 3 souls games, but thought I would start with DS2 since I'm obsessed with it at the moment...

Favorite Areas

5. No Man's Wharf - amazing atmosphere and pirate ship is so brilliant, really creative place.
4. Drangleic Castle - I have to play it again, because I experienced some glitches here, but this was an erie place with the rain and I remember it being a fun place to explore.
3. Forest of the Fallen Giants - I may get crap for this, but I really liked this level. It is pretty huge and I love the lore, and being outside on the ledge and seeing the 2 giants with one head rolled off, only to find later how it happened. Awesome.
2. Iron Keep - This may switch places later, but it was the first time in the game where I couldn't put the controller down no matter how hard I tried. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for castles.
1. Drangon Aerie/Dragon Shrine - Beautiful, atmospheric, mysterious, fun. Such a cool area and just really builds momentum for the end of the game. Probably my favorite sequence in any Souls game.

Favorite Bosses

5. Ruin Sentinels - They are here simply cause of the challenge and how long it took to beat them. Nothing better than finally getting that last bit of health, breathing a sigh of relief and unclenching your fingers.

4. Lost Sinner - Mainly for the lore, but fighting her with the lights off and then with the lights on was a cool moment for me.

3. Throne Watcher/Defender - Really tough fight, but it reminded me of my time with Ornstein and Smough.

2. Freja - Such a cool design and I was relieved to finally face a giant creature. The actual fight was intense to. Really good boss.

1. Guardian Dragon - Man I loved this fight so much. Beautiful design, amazing arena and just really upped the scale of the game. Wasn't the most challenging, but I can't wait to face this beauty again.

Favorite Moments

5. Lighting up the Pirate Ship - Seeing the blue flames light up and the Ship start moving was such a cool scene.

4. Entering Drangleic Castle Area - Walking through that ugly forest and seeing the dark and the rain was such great. Game just kicked ass from there.

3. Walking down to the throne of Want - This may be a weird one, but I loved that this place was like bridged off from the castle in this underground cave thing. It felt so sinister and mysterious. Also sitting on the throne was both amazing and confusing at the same time.

2. Transition from Aldia's Keep to Dragon boss - Breathtaking view and the world orientation was stunning.

1. Meeting the Ancient Dragon - I'm going to include 2 moments here. One was finally defeating the Dragon Shrine and walking up the stairs to see a giant dragon on top of the world. The scale and the fact that dragons rule, made this a great moment for me. The second was going back in time to before fire was born and seeing the real ancient dragon, was so awesome for lore reasons. And again, because dragons are cool.

Game really grew on me the closer I got to the end, and From really made an impressive sequel. When I do a demon/dark list, DS2 looks to fare pretty well.

Yeah, you really have to react as soon as he takes off. I did it with medium weight so you do get enough time if you react fast enough. Besides that try baiting the stomp attack by attacking his hind legs while standing under him. You'll either see him lift his leg to stomp or poke his head towards you to breathe fire. Both attacks will give you a good amount of hits on him.

I was a phantom just now and the three of us naked fellows got him down to about 35% health... And then his tail landed on me! Thanks for the advice

Grief.exe

Thanks for listening to us duckroll!

Juraash

Why bother with the Ancient Dragon? Seems like most people think the battle is tedious.

To say you did it I suppose. And if you want that 5th soul for our dear King. I know I'll be going toe to toe with him before I move on to NG+.

I may only do the fight the one time though.

Top Bottom