• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Does anybody else have issues with the run button with max stamina? Sometimes it takes far longer than usual to engage, even though I've not done anything before hand

maomaoIYP

Ok so I decided to stick to my STR / Faith Build.
Been messing about in
NG for a long while now so I am already 150. I managed to down Vendrick, Watchers and Dark Lurker last night (Woooo Dragon Chime!) as it happens
If you have a STR/FAI build I assume you have a big ass weapon that is lightning infused? Those kind of make short work on the drake keepers don't they?
Most titanite material can be purchased, slabs and twinkling can be infinitely farmed, so once you've stocked up enough you can move onto NG+. Dragon bones are another problem all together though.

Leezard

If you have a STR/FAI build I assume you have a big ass weapon that is lightning infused? Those kind of make short work on the drake keepers don't they?
Most titanite material can be purchased, slabs and twinkling can be infinitely farmed, so once you've stocked up enough you can move onto NG+. Dragon bones are another problem all together though.

You can get lots of dragon bones by using bonfire ascetics on dragon aerie.

Mistel

Banned
I was two handing a broken Santier's Spear, with the Blossom Kite Shield on my back. Steel Armor set, with Ring of Blades, Red and Blue Tearstone Ring, and Bell Keeper's Seal (I was PvPing on the Iron Keep bridge while waiting to be summoned).
Ditch the blossom kite shield for a cloranthy ring it's lighter and it will help. Also swap out the pair of tearstone rings unless you really need them.

But armor and weapon wise that's more than sufficient.

Jaeger

So I just started really PvP for the first time today. Yep, I suck. Won like 3 times out of a number of matches. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Stay nimble. Only swing or roll when you have to. Mashing those buttons can leave you in bad shape and without stamina. Think of Dark Souls PVP as a chess match, instead of a round of Street Fighter. Keep people away from your back side. And try and bait people into attacking, while you either parry, or capitalize on their miss.

maomaoIYP

So I just started really PvP for the first time today. Yep, I suck. Won like 3 times out of a number of matches. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Did you notice how you typically get killed? Via magic/pyro/hex/miracle? Via backstab? Via pokes? What build are you? This is important especially since santiers has no scaling. Any other weapons that you have prepared for use?
Typical twinblade players I've seen just go 2H, spam attacks and hope for the best. They have no range, low damage, and when they whiff it's an eternity before they recover.

Does anybody else have issues with the run button with max stamina? Sometimes it takes far longer than usual to engage, even though I've not done anything before hand

You're not referring to the cool-down after consuming the entirety of your stamina, right? i.e. having to wait for the gauge to refill completely and then some.

Was such a penalty present in DS1? I really don't recall it; definitely not to that degree, anyway.

You're not referring to the cool-down after consuming the entirety of your stamina, right? i.e. having to wait for the gauge to refill completely and then some.

Was such a penalty present in DS1? I really don't recall it; definitely not to that degree, anyway.

There was a small penalty like that for going into negative stamina I think. Not this harsh though. It gets a bit annoying when you just wanna go places. =/

E92 M3

Ok so I decided to stick to my STR / Faith Build.
Been messing about in
NG for a long while now so I am already 150. I managed to down Vendrick, Watchers and Dark Lurker last night (Woooo Dragon Chime!) as it happens so yay.

Currently trying to decide if I really want to burn time on the AD or not.
Don't get me wrong though I really don't mind wiping on a boss over and over or anything. The problem I have is the run to the boss. Frankly it is a pain in the ass and removes all of the fun from trying a tough boss.

I have also kind of burned up a lot of raw materials so far into this play through, Is it wise to stay in NG and keep trying to farm it out or to just move on to NG+ now?

You can buy a lot of supplies infinitely after beating the final boss.

Hmm, could be actually, if I get the penalty, and then my bar refills before the penalty is over, then the penalty is still applied right? Damn

Minamu

How come I'm having a hard time finding summon signs, but I get summoned myself very easily? I'm currently in No-Man's Wharf in NG+ at SL 210 with around 6 million SM. At SL 200 it was easy to find partners at Heide's Tower, but nowhere else since then. but small or regular white signs of my own work just fine (thanks FROM for that small sign fix, wow!). It can't be a SM thing when summoning works great in one direction, right?

Ditch the blossom kite shield for a cloranthy ring it's lighter and it will help. Also swap out the pair of tearstone rings unless you really need them.

But armor and weapon wise that's more than sufficient.

Any other ring recommendations? I never know what to use.

Stay nimble. Only swing or roll when you have to. Mashing those buttons can leave you in bad shape and without stamina. Think of Dark Souls PVP as a chess match, instead of a round of Street Fighter. Keep people away from your back side. And try and bait people into attacking, while you either parry, or capitalize on their miss.
I guess I do tend to get a little impatient. Especially when every skirmish is typically a stare down and strafe for like 3/4 of the fight.
Did you notice how you typically get killed? Via magic/pyro/hex/miracle? Via backstab? Via pokes? What build are you? This is important especially since santiers has no scaling. Any other weapons that you have prepared for use?
Typical twinblade players I've seen just go 2H, spam attacks and hope for the best. They have no range, low damage, and when they whiff it's an eternity before they recover.
It seemed like I was getting killed by a multitude of things, so it's hard for me to say what was doing me over.

I suppose I'm a strength build, with a bit of dexterity. 45 strength and 25 dexterity to be exact. As for backup weapons... I guess my Old Mirrah Greatsword and Drakewing Ultra Greatsword.

Mistel

Banned
How come I'm having a hard time finding summon signs, but I get summoned myself very easily? I'm currently in No-Man's Wharf in NG+ at SL 210 with around 6 million SM. At SL 200 it was easy to find partners at Heide's Tower, but nowhere else since then. but small or regular white signs of my own work just fine (thanks FROM for that small sign fix, wow!). It can't be a SM thing when summoning works great in one direction, right?
No one putting their sign down is the reason. No issue at all.

Edit:
Any other ring recommendations? I never know what to use.
Ring of blades is a must really for twin blades. Also might I suggest a red steel twin blade great for strength characters.

Alright, I'm 100 hours in and I still don't know how to counterattack with a parry. In both previous Souls games, we only had to press L2 at the right moment, followed by an attack while the enemy was stunned. In Dark Souls 2, it doesn't work. I can successfully parry with L2, but then I keep mashing R1 and nothing happens. No critical attack. Someone explain this to me.

Also, I don't understand how to follow a guard break (forward + R1) with a critical attack. I've had it done to me several times and it hurts like hell. Yet, I've successfully guard broke several enemies, and then kept mashing R1 and nothing was happening. Why ? What is it that I'm not getting ? The game did not relay the information properly.

maomaoIYP

I suppose I'm a strength build, with a bit of dexterity. 45 strength and 25 dexterity to be exact. As for backup weapons... I guess my Old Mirrah Greatsword and Drakewing Ultra Greatsword.

If you're sticking to santiers you might want to consider infusing with poison or bleeding effects, those work great with twinblades because of the multiple hits. But your stats are wasted in this aspect since no scaling bonuses will be provided (like most twinblades, with the exception of stone twinblade.)

For rings, I suggest royal solider +1 (or +2 if you have it), and third dragon ring. Then wear the best armor you have so you can tank some hits.

Alright, I'm 100 hours in and I still don't know how to counterattack with a parry. In both previous Souls games, we only had to press L2 at the right moment, followed by an attack while the enemy was stunned. In Dark Souls 2, it doesn't work. I can successfully parry with L2, but then I keep mashing R1 and nothing happens. No critical attack. Someone explain this to me.

Also, I don't understand how to follow a guard break (forward + R1) with a critical attack. I've had it done to me several times and it hurts like hell. Yet, I've successfully guard broke several enemies, and then kept mashing R1 and nothing was happening. Why ? What is it that I'm not getting ? The game did not relay the information properly.

You just have to pause for moment after guard breaking the opponent. Run up as close as possible and then hit R1. If you hit R1 right away you'll just get a normal attack. Same goes for parries. Wait until the target falls down and then attack.

The changes to the Parry system is very annoying and unwelcome. It is already hard enough for most people to master and now they made it harder. I wish we could get an answer on why they felt it needed to change, because it didn't need changing.

maomaoIYP

The changes to the Parry system is very annoying and unwelcome. It is already hard enough for most people to master and now they made it harder. I wish we could get an answer on why they felt it needed to change, because it didn't need changing.

I for one like the new parry changes. The old system combined with lag made parrying in PvP less useful. Also the guard break critical is also a welcome addition. The old guard break wasn't really good for anything, and blocking was king.

It did need some changing for this game I think. In DS1 you usually had a single target at all times. In this game encounters usually involve several enemies. That would be completely meaningless if you could just pick them off one by one with a riposte to get your i frames.
Now you have to pick the right timing to get your riposte off.
Sometimes it's useful enough to just parry an enemy to throw them down for a few seconds to concentrate on the other surrounding enemies.

Then again all that gets thrown out of the window when you can just mash R1 and get almost everyone with some broad slashes. =/

I love how convoluted the Bastille is. But I think I manages to get everything there, eventually. After hearing so much about The Sentinels, I was surprised by how easily They went down.
The first one is free and fighting two at once really isn't all that difficult.
But I think I may be overleveled because I couldn't get any sunbro action at all.

Belfry Lunar is a cool area. I'm getting a bit more coop action here, although the hosts go down pretty quickly. Gonna try the covenant soon. Anyway the
gargoyles
were a pushover. I got them on my first attempt.

Anyway, this thread should be more active. I need something to do while waiting for multiplayer sessions damn it.

e: Oh, it's been moves to Community. That's why I don't see it so frequently.

I love how convoluted the Bastille is. But I think I manages to get everything there, eventually. After hearing so much about The Sentinels, I was surprised by how easily They went down.
The first one is free and fighting two at once really isn't all that difficult.
But I think I may be overleveled because I couldn't get any sunbro action at all.

Belfry Lunar is a cool area. I'm getting a bit more coop action here, although the hosts go down pretty quickly. Gonna try the covenant soon. Anyway the
gargoyles
were a pushover. I got them on my first attempt.

Anyway, this thread should be more active. I need something to do while waiting for multiplayer sessions damn it.

I think many people just had trouble with them because they encountered this boss right after the pursuer. At that point in the game you usually don't have a huge damage output which helps tremendously here.
Besides that I think people(me included :p) just get too greedy sometimes.

"Yeah I can get that additional hit in no problem!"
"YOU DIED"
"Oh..."

ijed

Ditch the blossom kite shield for a cloranthy ring it's lighter and it will help.

They stack though don't they? I've got the blossom kite shield and cloranthy ring and get a greener glow with both so I assume so... Haven't found anywhere that tells you the boost that any of the stamina regen shields give our which one's the best

Mistel

Banned
They stack though don't they? I've got the blossom kite shield and cloranthy ring and get a greener glow with both so I assume so... Haven't found anywhere that tells you the boost that any of the stamina regen shields give our which one's the best
They do stack but when you get a cloranthy ring that weighs barely anything it doesn't make sense to have them both for PvP your making yourself heavier when you can do the same without it. But for PvE it's fine I use one for a Alonne Greatbow.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Trying a no death run is just too stressful. There's a million things that can go wrong at any moment. Everything was going pretty well and I was about to attempt my first boss of the run but I just got invaded by some ass at heide that had high level armor and a back stab took almost nothing off his life.

Mistel

Banned
But how can that be? I mean surely someone has to be in my range. After all my way of finishing the game can't be too different from all the other players.
Well what is your soul memory then? Your memory being the deciding factor for grey shade summons and the general rarity of cracked red eye orbs makes invasions a rarity. It's not level based anymore you won't get summoned even if you are the same level as someone. Say your 50 with a memory of 750K another player could be twice that at the same level.

Haven't found anywhere that tells you the boost that any of the stamina regen shields give our which one's the best
After doing some checking out of the slumbering dragon shield, insolent shield and blossom kite. Blossom (the one I use) is lightest so it's less of a burden so that could be considered the best.

Mogwai

I'm at the beginning of my first NG+ and I'm level 225. Am I too high ? I'm not seeing a lot of summoning signs.

Seems high to me. I'm around 130 and I'm just starting NG+. I have spent a lot of souls on upgrade materials, so I could probably have reached 150-160 if I used it on levelling.

Doing the Lucatiel stuff and she can take a lot of damage. Surprised how easy this is after reading a bit about it online. Doing it in NG+.

wow, i was only 201 in NG++ haha

Well I did everything there was to be done in my first game, except the Sun Convenant. When I started my NG+, I was a little over 200. Then I got 30 Sun Medals by assisting other players in the Forest of the Giants. I put my sign down in the Cardinal Tower, and everytime I would get summoned, I would run up the ladder where the Pursuer drops in from an Eagle, as he netted 50k souls everytime he was killed. He was there 2 times out of 3; when I was done with my 30 medals, I had one million souls on me. I was able to gain around 15 levels. I'm now in Harvest Valley, at level 225, and there are barely any summoning signs on the ground. It's a bummer. It's so much easier killing bosses with allies.

Copenap

Well what is your soul memory then? Your memory being the deciding factor for grey shade summons and the general rarity of cracked red eye orbs makes invasions a rarity. It's not level based anymore you won't get summoned even if you are the same level as someone. Say your 50 with a memory of 750K another player could be twice that at the same level.
I read a little bit about this whole soul memory but I would just expect that some people have to have a similar one. I mean I can't have played that differently from everyone else. Can I look up my soul memory? Oh btw summoning and being summoned was no problem at all.

Mistel

Banned
I read a little bit about this whole soul memory but I would just expect that some people have to have a similar one. I mean I can't have played that differently from everyone else. Can I look up my soul memory? Oh btw summoning and being summoned was no problem at all.
Well you can only be grey summoned in two areas so that's why you've having issues you need someone to be in the rats, in that area and within range soul memory wise. Your soul history is on the player status or info tab one of the two.

Copenap

Well you can only be grey summoned in two areas so that's why you've having issues you need someone to be in the rats, in that area and within range soul memory wise. Your soul history is on the player status or info tab one of the two.
My question was mainly in regards to red phantoms that can just straight up invade me anywhere like in DS 1 or is that no longer even possible? Cause that didn't happen a single time.

Mistel

Banned
My question was mainly in regards to red phantoms that can just straight up invade me anywhere like in DS 1 or is that no longer even possible? Cause that didn't happen a single time.
It's possible but don't expect it unless your a sinner or just well luck. It's a bit hit and miss.

Welp I am leveling up a strengh character, curring using a bastard sword but that thing gets broken pretty fast while upgrading a Heide Sword.

Created the pursuer Sword but I cant hit fast, what stat I need to hit faster

Sullichin

Welp I am leveling up a strengh character, curring using a bastard sword but that thing gets broken pretty fast while upgrading a Heide Sword.

Created the pursuer Sword but I cant hit fast, what stat I need to hit faster
There is no stat that makes a slow weapon swing faster. Ultra greatswords are slow. Greatswords are a bit faster.

It's funny that in terms of build, I've come full circle. In Demon's Souls, I felt magic was a wee bit overpowered. You could kill most invaders with one shot of Firestorm and a couple whacks from a Dragon Longsword if they had any health left. Warding made bosses like Flamelurker much easier, and even the Soul Arrow spells hit like tanks.

In Dark Souls, magic got pretty nerfed imo, and I played as a tank. Fully-upgraded Giant Armor and the Black Knight weapons felt pretty unstoppable. But I missed magic.

What's awesome about DSII for me is how versatile I can be in my approach to enemies or PVP. I played through NG as basically my tank character from DSI with Gyrm Warrior armor, a Gyrm shield, and a Gyrm Hammer getting me through most tough situations. But the bosses. . . they were a bitch. Esp Freya and Demon of Song type bosses.

Well, for NG+, I started leveling up FTH/INT, and I loved being a hexer (and now a badass miracle caster with my +5 Dragon Charm—thank you Darklurker). Hitting with GRS for 1300 and Sunlight Spear for even more feels amazing, and makes bosses, well, probably a little too easy. But damn, I love putting down my summon sign for the Mirror Knight fight or the Watcher/Defender fight and thinking, hmmm, what do I want to use today. Chaos Storm when I'm not agroed? Great Lighting Spear and a few whacks from my Crypt Blacksword? Scraps of Life on the sly followed by King's Ultra Greatsword to the face?

Sure, magic does feel a little OP, and I can't imagine what it was like before the nerf to use Flame Swathe and Wrath of the Gods. You can't really dominate as a tank in DSII for PVE in the same way that you can with magic. But damn, if you're a level 250+ caster, you should be frigging Gandalf.

Top Bottom