• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

spliced

Man the npc's
just bolt in this game, I was talking to the pirate guy that buys stuff and mid way through I did something that killed me and when I went back he was gone. I don't even know what he sells.

The jumping in the game is kinda weak, I feel like Costanza jumping over a puddle.

Circle making you jump off ladders has killed me a couple times. If you hold it and press down you can slide I've now figured out.

That oil bomb fire arrow combo in the wharf is evil, that cost me my first big loss of souls.

So far all the enviroments have been good.

Just wondering if anyone is using this Avatar?
<---
CiwzErHilNQ7

AngryMoth

Can someone please give me an indication as to how many more titanite shards will be available to me. I spent a bunch early on thinking they wouldn't be rare and now I'm terrified to spend any incase I find an awesome weapon and have no way to upgrade it. I've just beaten
the lost sinner
and have been exploring pretty thoroughly so I think I got most of them so far.

Also, wish I'd know you can only have 10 messages at a time, just lost one that had over 300 ratings!

Astral

I've yet to find a good dagger. Where the daggers at? I remember being able to craft an awesome dagger in Demon's Souls that had insane backstab damage.

Just go further through the area.

I honestly thought I had explored the whole area, but as I think a little harder, there was at least one door that I recall that was still locked when I checked before clearing
The Last Giant and getting the Soldier's Key. It was behind the bigger knight enemy guarding a passage.
Am I on the right track? lol

void666

Banned
Guys, answer me this. Just yes or no. Are there any illusory walls in this game?
I've been hitting every suspicious wall but so far found nothing.

LProtag

I'm not sure at all what weapons to start using and upgrading. Here's what I'm considering:

Drangelic Sword, Old Knight Greatsword, Bastard Sword, and I think I can find the Guts sword soon.

Advice?

Sakura

I honestly thought I had explored the whole area, but as I think a little harder, there was at least one door that I recall that was still locked when I checked before clearing
The Last Giant and getting the Soldier's Key. It was behind the bigger knight enemy guarding a passage.
Am I on the right track? lol

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the door you're talking about.

Sullichin

I'm not sure at all what weapons to start using and upgrading. Here's what I'm considering:

Drangelic Sword, Old Knight Greatsword, Bastard Sword, and I think I can find the Guts sword soon.

Advice?
I was using the bastard sword for a while and kept upgrading it for a secondary weapon. It's pretty good. My favorite weapons so far have been the large club (although the great club is the same move set and probably does more damage, it's heavier and I found the large one first) and one of the boss weapons.

Corpekata

Banned
Question re: skeletons

The resurrecting kind. Is there a way to put them down? Doesn't appear to be a Divine weapon type of thing in the game, at least that I've seen.

pronk420

i'm starting to like this a lot more now, i'm not sure how i feel about the non-respawning mechanic, in some ways its good to be able to clear out the route to a boss if you are going to have to fight them a lot, but i actually found myself running back and forth to the bonfire to do that. generally in souls games you unlock a shortcut to the boss and can run it pretty quickly ignoring the enemies anyway, so in that respect it just streamlines it a bit.

playing it 'normally' i never cleared out the enemies by having to replay sections, but it is slightly worrying that there will be the temptation to just grind guys one after the other when things get hard. but they set the limit high enough to be ok i think..

the whole thing of one of the first areas
having a ring that negates the losing health mechanic sort of makes me wonder why they bothered putting it in at all. I imagine it could get really hard if you pushed on in another direction and never explored that place at the start. I actually managed to not have an estus flask or the cling ring until i got to the first boss because i didn't notice the lady at the majula bonfire...

Hixx

Wow the (3rd boss for me)
Dragonrider
is probably the easiest boss in any Souls game I've played. By a large margin.

Yes, but they are different from the first game. I'll leave you to figure out how.

Question regarding these:

The mechanism - does that unlock all of these walls or just the first and I need to find more mechanisms?

Sullichin

i'm starting to like this a lot more now, i'm not sure how i feel about the non-respawning mechanic, in some ways its good to be able to clear out the route to a boss if you are going to have to fight them a lot, but i actually found myself running back and forth to the bonfire to do that. generally in souls games you unlock a shortcut to the boss and can run it pretty quickly ignoring the enemies anyway, so in that respect it just streamlines it a bit.

playing it 'normally' i never cleared out the enemies by having to replay sections, but it is slightly worrying that there will be the temptation to just grind guys one after the other when things get hard. but they set the limit high enough to be ok i think..

the whole thing of one of the first areas
having a ring that negates the losing health mechanic sort of makes me wonder why they bothered putting it in at all. I imagine it could get really hard if you pushed on in another direction and never explored that place at the start. I actually managed to not have an estus flask or the cling ring until i got to the first boss because i didn't notice the lady at the majula bonfire...
Re: that last paragraph

If you think the cling ring defeats the purpose of the health penalty... There's a ring later that literally removes it entirely and can be repaired.
. Still not sure how I feel about this item.

nynt9

I got to play a bit more... I don't like this. FROM has designed it so that everything you do feels sluggish, like you have input lag.

It's called the adaptability stat. Increase it and your movements will be faster. I actually like this change as it gives your character a tangible sense of improvement, more so than some other stats.

pronk420

Re: that last paragraph

If you think the cling ring defeats the purpose of the health penalty... There's a ring later that literally removes it entirely and can be repaired.
. Still not sure how I feel about this item.

can the
cling ring (or whatever its actually called) break beyond repair? how does that happen? I don't understand how that stuff works yet

On the White Soapstone deal, you should have gotten two in the
Forest of Fallen Giants. There's an NPC sitting on barrels that talks about how his exploring buddy died in a trap. Exhaust his dialogue and he'll give you the big soapstone. The small one is in a room above the last bonfire in that area, where the old lady is. There's a staircase near the bonfire, I missed it my first time so search the room thoroughly.

Gotta go through the forest first and talk to Pate.

Thanks, guys! I actually haven't even been to the forest yet. Not sure if I even know where it is (I walked past the guy that said a statue creeps him out, but then didn't see anywhere to go in that direction).

anddo0

I need a new weapon guys.

My stats

Vgr 27
End 15
Vit 18
Atn 7
Str 19
Dex 13
Adp 21
Int 5
Fth 5

I'm using the DLC mace "Homunculus" +2, and the fire longsword +2.

Wow the (3rd boss for me)
Dragonrider
is probably the easiest boss in any Souls game I've played. By a large margin.

Seriously though, he's just like every other big enemy. I figured a
dragon
would drop in and
he would ride it... hence the name
. lol
No such luck for that poor shlub.

Thanks to that guy I figured all the bosses were gonna be pretty easy. I have been proven wrong since.

My retailer just emailed me; apparently Namco Bandai sent them less Black Armor Editions than promised and now they can't fulfill my order. I'm considering buying DS2 digital now, but I have two questions first I was hoping someone here could help me with.

1. Does anybody know if there are notable differences between the physical and digital versions of the game? Performance, loading times, etc.

2. Any clue at what time the digital version of DS2 will be available on the European Xbox marketplace?

Kerned

Banned
Yes.
There's an item you can burn at bonfires to reset the respawn number. However, the enemies in that area will be at New Game+ strength.

When you do this,
are the enemies only back for another 10 kills or whatever? Or are they back permanently
?

Sullichin

can the
cling ring (or whatever its actually called) break beyond repair? how does that happen? I don't understand how that stuff works yet
I worded that poorly. The other ring I'm talking about (ring of life restoration) breaks upon death, unlike the cling ring - which is called the ring of binding this time.

Ring of life doesn't make you go hollow or lose souls when you die. But it breaks. Then you can just repair it for 3000 souls at the blacksmith. It's slightly annoying to go back to Majula every time you die but you never really have to worry about losing your souls or humanity.

oracrest

While playing last night, and being summoned a bunch into others games, I noticed that
even though we hadn't killed a boss, my full health eventually returned to me in my normal game. I am not sure what is happening specifically with this mechanic, but does it just give you back full health upon helping others a few times, regardless of whether you beat the boss or not?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dammit I spent this fragment branch of yore on this sorcerer guy but I think I needed it to progress.

Am I in an unwinnable state? Or should I keep looking around?

Thank the Sun!

Ok phew I thought I screwed myself over. If you didn't use a fragrant branch of yore on the petrified lady first there is still an option left open to you. One that will net you another fragrant branch of yore.

Shinjica

I worded that poorly. The other ring I'm talking about (ring of life restoration) breaks upon death, unlike the cling ring - which is called the ring of binding this time.

Ring of life doesn't make you go hollow or lose souls when you die. But it breaks. Then you can just repair it for 3000 souls at the blacksmith. It's slightly annoying to go back to Majula every time you die but you never really have to worry about losing your souls or humanity.

So, now dying is meaningless if you can simply repair the ring infinitely. Pretty disappointed about that, FROM is really making compromise in this sequel

Ourobolus

Banned
I swear I haven't seen a single summon sign in my game. I can see people running around, but I can't seem to find any games to join. I'd love to help people on the Giant if possible, though.

I'm confused. I thought that the Ring
of Life only raised your maximum HP? It has other effects too?

pronk420

oh wow thats super interesting, thanks. i guess that was what that guy was complaining about yesterday. not sure i could be bothered with it though.. also seems like something they might patch/calibralate out

Thank the Sun!

Ok phew I thought I screwed myself over. If you didn't use a fragrant branch of yore on the petrified lady first there is still an option left open to you. One that will net you another fragrant branch of yore.

For those of us that used it to progress into the most obvious route (the one lady blocking the gate opening mechanism near Majula), is there another branch of yore elsewhere or am I boned from clearing all those other statues? It wouldn't make much sense if there were only one or two accessible branches, considering I've run into way more statues already.

Clevinger

When you do this,
are the enemies only back for another 10 kills or whatever? Or are they back permanently
?

They're back for whatever the limit is, yeah. But you can keep using that item in the area to reset the limit, and each time you do the enemies get stronger. So if you do it twice, you'll be facing the enemies of New Game++.

I swear I haven't seen a single summon sign in my game. I can see people running around, but I can't seem to find any games to join. I'd love to help people on the Giant if possible, though.

You might be too high a level. I'm level 26 and now no one summons me for that fight. Previously I'd get summoned like five seconds after I put it down by the bonfire.

It's called the adaptability stat. Increase it and your movements will be faster. I actually like this change as it gives your character a tangible sense of improvement, more so than some other stats.

I'm aware, I've improved Adp, still feels sluggish, unresponsive. Combined with the heightened importance of poise (every trash mob can stun lock you with one hit), not enjoyable.

Sullichin

So, now dying is meaningless if you can simply repair the ring infinitely. Pretty disappointed about that, FROM is really making compromise in this sequel
the fact that you can repair it and for so cheaply really surprises me. Other than that, it's the same as the ring of sacrifice in DS, of which you can get plenty on one run. But it feels more powerful here when one of your ring slots would be used by the ring of binding anyway. No reason not to use it all the time, where ROS were usually reserved for when you were trekking back to a bloodstain. I did find this item late in the game, not sure if there's another one earlier. But I do wonder if they will patch out the ability to repair it.

So now I have a soul vessel...time to decide if I want to respec to use a different weapon. No amount of respecing will give me back the titanite I put into upgrading the halberd though, and knowing this game there's probably no way to get it back. It's a shame because I loved the halberd in the first DS but I'm not hugely impressed with its moveset in DSII. Decisions, decisions...

Sullichin

So now I have a soul vessel...time to decide if I want to respec to use a different weapon. No amount of respecing will give me back the titanite I put into upgrading the halberd though, and knowing this game there's probably no way to get it back. It's a shame because I loved the halberd in the first DS but I'm not hugely impressed with its moveset in DSII. Decisions, decisions...
Have you tried any of the "reaper" (I think) class weapons? They seem halberd-ish.

As for upgrading, I have one fully upgraded weapon, a lightning weapon at +8, one semi upgraded boss weapon, some upgrades sprinkled into bow/crossbows and armor as well. The game gives you enough titanite to upgrade more than one weapon. But I really wish you could farm infinitely so I could make a quality build and collect a million weapons.

Shinjica

the fact that you can repair it and for so cheaply really surprises me. Other than that, it's the same as the ring of sacrifice in DS, of which you can get plenty on one run. But it feels more powerful here when one of your ring slots would be used by the ring of binding anyway. No reason not to use it all the time, where ROS were usually reserved for when you were trekking back to a bloodstain. I did find this item late in the game, not sure if there's another one earlier. But I do wonder if they will patch out the ability to repair it.

Well, now people cannot say FROM didnt have make the game more accessible for casual because this ring is a proof of that. Plus, 3000 souls are nothing in the mid/late area to get. Really disappointed about that. Let's hope he get patched.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm not really understanding the complaints that this game is getting from some people with regards to interesting/varied environments. I'm still pretty early in the game, but in the time that it took me to see Ruined Asylum, Ruined Shrine, Ruined Castle, Ruined Town at Base of Castle, and Sewer in Dark Souls 1, I have seen
Ethereal Limbo Forest, Ruined Seaside Village at Sunset, Forest and Ruined Fort, Alexandria-esque Sunken Lighthouse/Tower/Cathedral Complex, and Haunted Pirate Cove.
I'm pretty damn satisfied so far.

The environmental complaint that I do identify with, however, is that none of it seems naturally connected like all of the areas in Dark Souls 1 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom