• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

moozoom

Well, I got killed by (2nd Boss in Forest of Giants)
the ballistas twice so far.
:(

If I remember well... I might have summoned and killed you accidentally ( °_° ")
When I saw
the ballistas I went a little berserk on the x button, sorry.

The boss avenged you a couple seconds later when he destroyed the ballista and killed me in the same movement.

Kinda thing I went out of order a bit. I just got to
Huntsman's Copse
and i'm rolling the place. Think I should of done it before
Killing the sinner
. Cause that area was hard as hell to work through

cheezcake

Love the game, but its been released for over 24 hours in Australia and no online functionality at all has been enabled and there's been 0 communication or response from Bamco on their twitter. If Aus servers are tied to the European servers that's just terrible logistics

Shinjica

But the systems aren't the same because one relies on others players aka something you doesn't have control over. Boss grinding is easy now because everyone is playing through the game, but what about in six months?

If it's the same of Demon/Dark you'll always find someone who will summon you. Souls commuunity is pretty active even after initial release.

How common are human effigies? Are there any good farming spots? I ask because I won't be able to play online in the foreseeable future, so earning an infinite amount through co-op (assuming it works like humanity) is not an option. Given the new cap on respawns, it seems like I should get used to playing with less than my natural HP, Demon's Souls-style.

How common are human effigies? Are there any good farming spots? I ask because I won't be able to play online in the foreseeable future, so earning an infinite amount through co-op (assuming it works like humanity) is not an option.

Can you get effigies via co op? I got summed a few times and only got the PVP token for the way of the blue stuff

I don't know how, but I missed the maiden in black or whatever every time I was in Majula, so I was pushing on thinking I had to unlock the ability to level up at bonfires. It wasn't until the fourth or so bonfire that I thought "okay something is seriously wrong", and googled it. Didn't help that I started with the lvl 1 class either lol

georly

How common are human effigies? Are there any good farming spots? I ask because I won't be able to play online in the foreseeable future, so earning an infinite amount through co-op (assuming it works like humanity) is not an option. Given the new cap on respawns, it seems like I should get used to playing with less than my natural HP, Demon's Souls-style.

I've probably found about 15+. If you can't play online, then don't worry about them. If you're worried about health... there are other ways to fix that. A couple different rings offer a couple different solutions.

the waiting is too much.

BinC5MoCcAAQonQ.jpg

I agree with your observation on the boss battles since that has been my strategy for almost every single one. Two hits then shield up on repeat until the boss is dead. But I just can't shake the feeling of not getting the full experience unless I go solo. It forces to keep track of all my enemies and manage my resources more efficiently. But I can definitely see coop being fun. Alway is and I'll most likely give it a try on NG+

My first run through of Dark Souls I solo'd every boss (including O & S which is an accomplishment I'm proud of) and it wasn't until my second and third characters that I did summons and co-op.

This time around I've been co-oping from the beginning and have yet to solo a boss, just because most of the time when I get to a boss I'm hollow and at half health, and since I'm a squishy Swordsman most of the bosses can one hit KO me in that state. Add on that all the bosses I've fought seem to have lots of health and armor and I do like 100 damage max an attack, and it just seems like an exercise of endurance where I have to be absolutely perfect because one hit is death.

On the other hand, every time I've fought a boss with two buddies it's been a slaughter. Perhaps summoning just one partner is the way to go?

Ourobolus

Banned
Yeah, he's on the other side of the gate sitting there. I couldn't find a way to open the gate though, from either side. He just repeats the "Good luck out there, I've heard there's bandits" line.

Huh. It was open for me. Actually, I guess that's probably because I never went through it in the first place.

georly

Unless I'm missing something. You do seem to get a lot of souls when you down a boss while co op

In dark souls, every time you beat a boss in someone's world, your humanity is restored. In dark souls 2, that doesn't seem to always be the case. You get souls and stuff, but your humanity is not always restored. (not an item, but just actually becoming human again).

test_account

XP-39C²
OK seriously, is the pursuer a viable option after the first boss? I am level 32, using the Haile Sword, and am dead in two hits because of the 50% health.

I do not have internet. :(
Try to take off all armor and only equip one weapon. This was you will move and roll faster. I had problems beating that boss too, but after taking off the armor, it became easier. I still had probably like 15 tries without armor before i beat him though, but still, i found it easier then :)

TraBuch

Banned
Quick question about the armorer in Majula.
I bought some of his stuff and he ended up getting more stock and dialogue. I ended up buying some of the new stock and now he brags about how rich he is when I talk to him. Does he have another tier of armor to sell or should I just keep my souls?

Anyone?

In dark souls, every time you beat a boss in someone's world, your humanity is restored. In dark souls 2, that doesn't seem to always be the case. You get souls and stuff, but your humanity is not always restored. (not an item, but just actually becoming human again).

Yeah I know how DS1 works. Youll get a little bit of your max life back if you died but not full on human.

Sullichin

Each time I've summoned an NPC so far for a boss, it's made the fight noticeably harder. The AI is still bad and you do a lot less damage per hit. I did one boss with another player though and we destroyed it.

So where are the US PSN version pre-order early access weapons? They weren't there at launch, they're not in my "download list" now, and they're nowhere to be seen when I start a new character.
Kinda feel cheated here.

Tirod

Destroying folks via invasions with my Uchigatana +10, 40 Dex, and 38 ADP.

So good.

Invasion Covenant Questions if anyone knows:
Is there some way I can buy Cracked Red Eye Orbs? Alternatively, when do I get a regular Red Eye Orb?

Assuming I get my hands on another Uchigatana, I have the mats to get it to +10 as well AND the strength to dual wield. Not sure how to get a second one though. /: Hopefully not NG+.

Celegus

I don't know how, but I missed the maiden in black or whatever every time I was in Majula, so I was pushing on thinking I had to unlock the ability to level up at bonfires. It wasn't until the fourth or so bonfire that I thought "okay something is seriously wrong", and googled it. Didn't help that I started with the lvl 1 class either lol

Yeah same here.. I didn't realize Majula was the hub, I jumped straight into the Forest before exploring it at all. Wasted a bunch of souls at the old lady merchant just because I didn't want to lose them before I figured out how to level up.

Is the Bastille people keep talking about one of the places connected to Heides' Tower? Or do you get there from somewhere else? Currently stuck on Pursuer and I've heard that area is accessible, but I haven't come across it yet.

georly

Yeah I know how DS1 works. Youll get a little bit of your max life back if you died but not full on human.

Not the case. I've been playing for a while now, i have a lvl 70, and even if i die only once, when i help someone down a boss, i get no health restored, no humanity, nothing but souls and the token item. I have roughly 10+ token items, meaning i've helped people to completion 10+ times. 0 of those times have any health or humanity been restored.

There was one time when i tried to help someone, but he just stood by the boss door AFK, so i left using a separation crystal. When i got back to my world my humanity was restored.

I can find no rhyme or reason as to why the game decides to give humanity back.

Celegus

So where are the US PSN version pre-order early access weapons? They weren't there at launch, they're not in my "download list" now, and they're nowhere to be seen when I start a new character.
Kinda feel cheated here.

You put the code into the PSN store? It worked fine for me, they're plopped into your inventory right after the old crones.

halfbeast

Banned
Kinda feel cheated here.

so, we should get them too? yeah, then they fucked it up. nothing new, though.

Mutombo

Destroying folks via invasions with my Uchigatana +10, 40 Dex, and 38 ADP.

So good.

Invasion Covenant Questions if anyone knows:
Is there some way I can buy Cracked Red Eye Orbs? Alternatively, when do I get a regular Red Eye Orb?

Assuming I get my hands on another Uchigatana, I have the mats to get it to +10 as well AND the strength to dual wield. Not sure how to get a second one though. /: Hopefully not NG+.

Where'd you find the uchi? And how is 38 ADP working out for you? Do you really notice differences when attacking, rolling, etc?

Also, fast roll under 25% equip doesn't really exist anymore, does it? I'm not noticing any major differences like in DS1 when I unburden. Might be too subtle with 10 ADP.

Right now I'm just upgrading falchion until I find something better.

NIN90

Not the case. I've been playing for a while now, i have a lvl 70, and even if i die only once, when i help someone down a boss, i get no health restored, no humanity, nothing but souls and the token item. I have roughly 10+ token items, meaning i've helped people to completion 10+ times. 0 of those times have any health or humanity been restored.

There was one time when i tried to help someone, but he just stood by the boss door AFK, so i left using a separation crystal. When i got back to my world my humanity was restored.

Yesterday, I already had a few deaths under my belt and got summoned. The host died within seconds to the boss yet I fully regained my humanity.
emot-iiamm5jjk.gif

I have roughly 10+ token items, meaning i've helped people to completion 10+ times. 0 of those times have any health or humanity been restored.

The only time I've returned to human was after a failed attempt at a boss where the summoner died but I didn't. Every time I've been successful or died helping or the summoner died before the boss I haven't gotten my humanity back. Take that how you will, that's my anecdotal evidence.

georly

Yesterday, I already had a few deaths under my belt and got summoned. The host died within seconds to the boss yet I fully regained my humanity.
emot-iiamm5jjk.gif

Maybe you steal your host's humanity!

Every time i got it, I didnt die, but the host didnt win either :p

halfbeast

Banned
Where'd you find the uchi? And how is 38 ADP working out for you? Do you really notice differences when attacking, rolling, etc?

Also, fast roll under 25% equip doesn't really exist anymore, does it? I'm not noticing any major differences like in DS1 when I unburden. Might be too subtle with 10 ADP.

I'm at 20 ADP and still can't really tell a difference. well, other than he stopped reminiscing about the good old times while taking a sip of estus slowly. >_>

Sullichin

In his defense, if you go to a bonfire and choose the effigy, it says in the item description that using it makes you human, it's understandable to think it means using it on the bonfire

Yeah, while the item descriptions are generally better this one is pretty poor. A lot of people in this thread have made the same mistake. Reading the description at the bonfire makes it seem like it works like Dark Souls, but also limits your connections to other worlds, which doesn't make sense. They have both uses of the item right on top of each other, not explaining the difference between using it and burning it really. Brad and Vinny were confused on the GB quicklook as well.

Rolfgang

As a dual-wielder, how do I get in Power Stance? It read that you have to hold triangle/Y, but it just two-hands my left hand weapon.

Vitten

I guess it's still early days but are there any general starting tips yet ( like ignore the resistance stat and go up the cliff to Undead Parish first in DS1) or tips for powerful weapons you can get early with some creativity ?

Clevinger

Could someone help me out? I feel like I've explored every nook and cranny of Forest of the Lost Giants except for one spot, and I don't know how to get to it.
You know that part where you get the flame sword? Well, exit that cave and go left. That raised area.

thanks

There was a slip of paper inside the case with the manual with a code on it. You got the Black Armor Edition, right? With the soundtrack and everything?

Yes, the physical Black Armour edition has everything in the box.
But I'm talking about the US PSN version (aka digital).

Tirod

If this post sounds disjointed, it's because I'm typing it up between duels, so forgive me.

You need to do the following:

Have access to the Batille Tower zone. Open the passageway to McDuff. Light the scones in his room. You need to retrieve the "Dull Ember" from the zone known as Iron Keep. Give him the ember, and then you can purchase the Uchigatana from him.

I totally forgot that Snuggly (and someone else? It sounded like two different voices to me) was in the tutorial area. Anyone done any trades with her yet?

Mendrox

Does summoning, evading lag for someone else too? It lags brutal at my place and I never had any other problems with mp games. Could be because I play the US Version in germany? Is that the problem? Would suck. :-/ I don't want to buy the german version just for a lag free experience...

halfbeast

Banned
Rolls have noticeably more i frames the higher you raise your ADP.

oh ok! yeah, I kinda noticed that. but it was usually during an ambush, so was just postponing my death by rolling anyway.

I could have sworn that when I digitally pre-ordered, it said I'd get the dynamic theme and the weapons. Now I'm not so sure anymore... The EU digital pre-order certainly has them advertised.

I'll check the ps blog, I too thought we would get them.

Astral

If this post sounds disjointed, it's because I'm typing it up between duels, so forgive me.

You need to do the following:

Have access to the Batille Tower zone. Open the passageway to McDuff. Light the scones in his room. You need to retrieve the "Dull Ember" from the zone known as Iron Keep. Give him the ember, and then you can purchase the Uchigatana from him.

Looks like I need to get my ass to that area then. Anyone find any other cool DEX weapons? I'm getting sick of the Falchion.

T.O.P

Banned
First boss down

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

game is absolutely amazing

@are the servers down? can't seem to get an access since this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom