• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a audio interview with the community manager of Namco Bandia, Joseph Kartje about his time working as the community manager, and how this has been during the Dark Souls 2 development. Also before anyone asks, these questions were asked before the game was released. The graphical differences between the retail version and earlier footage we had seen was not known at the time of questioning. I've hit him up for further questions but not sure if he will have time, he is a busy dude. Nice guy though.

Pretty informative on the community manager aspect, the build he recommended (shield with high armor and stamina) seems to be working for a lot of the more noobish players, so that's also good advice!

Ferrio

Banned
Feel like I'm falling behind the curve.

I really wanna start finding some interesting weapons...

That damn whip and any poison weapon in the loading screen taunts me.

TheGrue

Any sorcerers in this thread? I decided to put in a couple point into strength so I at least have a crappy shield I can use then put the rest of the points into INT, Attunment, HP and Endurance. I sure hope I get some better gear thats related to INT builds.

I am not a glass cannon but a glass pistol right now.

I went with magic as well. I put points to get a shield and am going to get STR and DEX up enough to wield a sword that I got that was STR 7 and DEX 10. Other than that, have been dumping points mostly into INT and ATN. Found a second spell to put in my second attunement slot, so looking forward to more magic.

Manus

Loving the game so far. It is very very easy though.....except those
Ruins Sentinels
...holy crap. Seeing those though, I'm confident there will be plenty of tough bosses. I hope. Either way I'm having a blast.

Also doing something I never really bothered with in previous souls games. I'm helping other players in their world. Did the spoilered boss a ton, had a lot of fun with the fight, and gained a bunch of souls at the same time.

Good luck with the Lost Sinner. Prob the hardest boss I've faced yet.

stupei

This is just me guessing and all, but can anyone confirm whether or not the Bonfire Ascetic re-spawns
the lizards too
?

Been listening to the soundtrack that came with the collectors edition. Wow. This is some fantastic stuff. Oddly it gives me a very big survival horror vibe and has reminded me of Resident Evil 2's soundtrack on a few occasions oddly enough.

Eyothrie

how do I drop down into the well in Majula without dying? I assume I'm too low level now and need a longer health bar, but I'd figured I'd ask

Been listening to the soundtrack that came with the collectors edition. Wow. This is some fantastic stuff. Oddly it gives me a very big survival horror vibe and has reminded me of Resident Evil 2's soundtrack on a few occasions oddly enough.

FROM draws some inspiration form horror to me. Someone earlier in this thread says that some areas and enemies reminds them of Silent Hill and I agree.

how do I drop down into the well in Majula without dying? I assume I'm too low level now and need a longer health bar, but I'd figured I'd ask

Get more health and
buy the cat ring from the cat that limits fall damage

Plissken

Thanks guys, good advice. I'll get that ring and practice bosses as a hollow.

Do you have to be human to be summoned?

I'm definitely fine with running solo for the bosses. Restoring humanity for the sake of summoning after every death sounds like the road to madness.

Nope, drop your summon sign near a boss before you go exploring, and you'll get summoned pretty quick. I haven't done it much (only been summoned 3 times), but each time it was quick, and I came back with souls and got an item.

Eyothrie

One more question. There's an enemy at the end of a tunnel (dead end) behind a fence in the Forest of Fallen Giants that spits what appears to be firebombs out of its mouth. I'm a melee build with no magic, and I can't reach this thing with my Halbred. Is there an easy way to take this guy out?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

try ring

edit: beaten

man this game is funky in both good and bad ways

Sarcasm

Individual enemies stop respawning after you kill them 15 times or something like that. There's an item you can use to reset the spawn limit of an area, but it makes the enemies there harder as well. Each time you reset the spawn limit the enemies jump to a new New Game+ difficulty. So say you reset the spawn limit three times, then the enemies become what you would face on New Game+++.

IIRC that difficulty hike of each modified area carries over to New Game+.

Holy...lol. Well I guess that isn't bad if they made balances to soul & spending.

Have there been any updates on why the 360 servers are always out? I'm at work right now and whenever I get home to play they are down. Has this happened to the PS3 version?

Soriku

Destroying folks via invasions with my Uchigatana +10, 40 Dex, and 38 ADP.

So good.

Invasion Covenant Questions if anyone knows:
Is there some way I can buy Cracked Red Eye Orbs? Alternatively, when do I get a regular Red Eye Orb?

Assuming I get my hands on another Uchigatana, I have the mats to get it to +10 as well AND the strength to dual wield. Not sure how to get a second one though. /: Hopefully not NG+.

Just wondering, what are your other stats?

Does this have infinite uses?

The Bonfire Ascetic that is.

It's a single use item. It puts you i
nto NG+ mode
. Not recommended imo.

Also I beat the
Lost/Old Sinner
the other day. I had to use a dagger because all of my other weapons had too much recovery which resulted in me taking damage before I could block.

Now I'm going through
Huntsmans Copse

Ricker

Jumping is awful in this game,thank god rolling is well done...I dont even bother when I see something on a ledge that I will need to jump to reach...

I really need to get that just for regular play. Gravity is a major enemy this game.

It is however I really love having all four of my health rings on if I'm not at full health. I feel like I'm getting more rings earlier on in this game.

Kinda feel jipped with the
Lost Sinner
- he glitched into a wall and I was just able to hit him to death =\

Oh well!

Don't feel bad. Its a hard game and you should take advantage of any type of glitches that you can. If you feel that bad just beat him the normal way when you replay the game.

Any good int scaling weapons that can be found?

Just swiping away with my dagger close up.

Get the
fire long sword
. In the
forest, in the tunnel where the salamander spits fire
. Fire weapons scale with INT now. Its what ive been using as a sorcerer build. Its gotten me through 5 bosses so far.

Tirod

Just wondering, what are your other stats?

20 Vigor
20 Vitality
20 Endurance
16 Strength
40 Dexterity
38 Adaptability

:)

[EDIT] For the record, thinking of respecing out of the vitality and putting them into more endurance. No need when I'm rolling from everything, but then I open myself up to staggered poise if someone DOES hit me, hrm....

20 Vigor
20 Vitality
20 Endurance
16 Strength
40 Dexterity
38 Adaptability

So, can you explain what the adaptability does for your stats? You've got it high, so where in combat does it assist you? I'd be interesting in owning fools online and I can use whatever tips I can get.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My copy of DS2 has been sitting in the collection depot since yesterday. Fucking thing closes at 3pm all week and I don't finish work till 5pm.

angry-duck-o.gif

#fuckmyfirstworldproblems

I have no idea where this is still lol

Now that you have the
Soldier's Key, there are doors in the Forest that were previously unopenable. They are down the ladder, on either side of the bonfire with the old lady merchant, one behind that huge knight blocking a passage and the other is past the laying down undead and undead patrolling on bridge, in the room that leads to the outside area. I haven't tried either door yet, but I'm certain one of them leads to that boss.

stupei

Is anyone else here dual wielding and having a tough time? lol

The game starts you as a swordsman with two weapons you can't actually properly dual wield with, so it's pretty confusing. Do you know about "power stance"?

I mean, it's totally possible to use the swords from the beginning for a while and still have a pretty good time of it if you dodge a lot -- really need to upgrade adaptability and make sure you're not encumbered -- and alternate between the two weapon types depending on what kind of attack is required.

But to slash with both weapons at the same time they need a. to be the same weapon "type" (but like scimitar doesn't work with falchion even though both are curved swords, so this is finicky), and b. you have to have 1.5x the Strength requirement for the chosen weapon. If both those requirements are met, hold down triangle or Y.

But I don't dual wield my falchions the whole time. When I really need something fast, I switch to two handing the Scimitar +3 and I keep a shield slotted into the left just in case.

Tempted to try dual wielding axes. Wonder how that feels.

ironcreed

Banned
Holy...lol. Well I guess that isn't bad if they made balances to soul & spending.

That is exactly what they have done. But disappearing enemies have not been an issue at all for me yet. They basically just left the farming in to a degree, but added balance with the fire ascetic for those who abuse the system. Want to over level? Go ahead, but the enemies will be over leveled as a result. Pretty inventive way to curb farming too much, while also adding another layer of challenge for those who want to.

EDIT: But of course helping others negates having to even use fire ascetic to farm souls. But it's a neat new mechanic all the same.

blackflag

So, can you explain what the adaptability does for your stats? You've got it high, so where in combat does it assist you? I'd be interesting in owning fools online and I can use whatever tips I can get.

It's sooo good. Been pumping mine recently and now I can drink flasks quick, roll faster, not sure what else it does but those alone make it worth it for me.

Whoa, I'm watching ENB's second video walk through and he explains the
coop ring you get from the cat. When you equip it, it asks you what god you choose and it's like choosing a server/lobby to be on. So you and friend can try and find each other easier. That's awesome.

So have they gotten rid of Riposte in this game? When I Parry the guy just falls down and I dish out normal attacks.

And I'm not quite sure how to guard break. Or what it even looks like.

Audioboxer

Done a bit more reading in prep for tomorrow, and it seems like the Knight might be a better choice for STR/FTH. 1 less point in INT and starts the game with a slightly better chance at progressing smoothly (better armour/weapon/survivability based stats for the first few hours).

Tirod

after those values, its a soft cap or something right?

Yes!

Seems like a nice spread. Cool.

Is 16 Str necessary though? Also, any other equipment info you could share?

16 Strength was because I wanted to play around with the Twinblade! That's partly why I'm considering respeccing right now, as I'm not A) using and B) dual wielding. Only using the Uchi and Shotel, which is 12 at most (for the Shotel).

As for equip, I got Stam Regen, Poise, Break Poise, and Phys DMG dealt up. Armor? Practically naked, wearing some skimpy ass armor on my lady.

Faster movement, more iframes on roll, and since I'm practically naked, I get extra distance out of my roll.

Nearly lost 16k souls when my Falchion broke during the
Flexile Sentry
boss fight and had to go no shield. Shit, that was the scariest moment I've had in Dark Souls 2 so far.

georly

20 Vigor
20 Vitality
20 Endurance
16 Strength
40 Dexterity
38 Adaptability

[EDIT] For the record, thinking of respecing out of the vitality and putting them into more endurance. No need when I'm rolling from everything, but then I open myself up to staggered poise if someone DOES hit me, hrm....

Any reason to get above 20 endurance? I'm at like 29 now, and i'm not feeling it as much as i did in DS1

Might respec when i get home to use the
ultra greatsword or maybe the dual blades
if i like them. Bought them but need to try them out.

Garcia

It was funny listening to the guys on the GB Monday podcast talking about how From's removed your ability to farm, because they were speaking from a perspective of playing a considerable amount of the game with the online off. From my perspective, I've spent nearly three hours running around in co-op helping other players kill bosses and I came away with a crapload of extra souls.

Yeah, I mean, I'm at SL 63 and it's been only 12 hours. Co-op works like a charm in this game.

If only the loading times were god damn faster. }:-@

ryanyhc

Neo Member
20 Vigor
20 Vitality
20 Endurance
16 Strength
40 Dexterity
38 Adaptability

Before you got the Uchigatana what were you using? I'm having a lot of trouble going full Dex... just don't feel like I'm getting any good weapons. Did you dual wield or are you going shield for the boss fights?

Astral

Did that Stats and You video get taken down or something? I'm trying to find it so that I can have an idea of when to stop leveling up my stats. I know where ADP caps but I forgot about the rest.

20 Vigor
20 Vitality
20 Endurance
16 Strength
40 Dexterity
38 Adaptability

Is it true adaptability caps at 20?

Soriku

16 Strength was because I wanted to play around with the Twinblade! That's partly why I'm considering respeccing right now, as I'm not A) using and B) dual wielding. Only using the Uchi and Shotel, which is 12 at most (for the Shotel).

As for equip, I got Stam Regen, Poise, Break Poise, and Phys DMG dealt up. Armor? Practically naked, wearing some skimpy ass armor on my lady.

Hmm. What stat would you bump instead of the Str then? Is Shotel better than Uchi?

Jumping is awful in this game,thank god rolling is well done...I dont even bother when I see something on a ledge that I will need to jump to reach...

Switched my jump from L3 to circle - works better, but still not perfect. I do have an easier time dealing with jumps than I did in Dark Souls I, but still less than ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom