• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4n3

Banned
im still waiting for my copy it got delayed because of a snow storm :( can anyone answer me on this please, how hard is it to get the pyro flame since you can no longer start with it

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
*DUTY FULFILLED*

This is fucking stupid. Here I am trying to help someone out on a boss fight and *DUTY FULFILLED* pops up and sends me back to my world in the middle of the fight!!

This game is a fucking mess.

Yeah, there is. If you go through the big gate near him into the next room (the one with the bombers above and the huge turtle knight) and hang a right, there is a ladder that takes you up. Just go left at the top of the ladder and you are back at the end of that area.

thanks

Toxi

Banned
Okay, remember how I wanted there to be a
nautical area?

I love the Wharf.
So basically, magic got nerfed?

iOFEEtGCPksbu.gif
christian-bale-reaction-gif.gif

Ferrio

Banned
*DUTY FULFILLED*

This is fucking stupid. Here I am trying to help someone out on a boss fight and *DUTY FULFILLED* pops up and sends me back to my world in the middle of the fight!!

Are you
Still using small soapstone? It's very limited, you need the regular one

Aeana

So basically, magic got nerfed?

iOFEEtGCPksbu.gif
Why is that a good thing, unless it's related to PvP? And if so, I don't know why that has to affect anything in the single-player game. I don't care about PvP at all, and of course PvP also doesn't have much to do with the kinds of enemies they put in the areas. The game loves to swarm you with smaller enemies, and these situations can be difficult but they're managable with good planning as a sorcerer. I don't have a problem with these. But then they throw several of these larger enemies that take very little damage from magic at me and I'm not sure exactly what they expect me to do. I usually manage by doing something silly, like throwing out yearn and hoping they fall off an edge (and they often do), but I feel like this is really cheap and not intended. But at the same time, it's often the only way I'm going to prevail without running out of magic charges. And amber herbs are way too expensive for how few charges they restore.

Ferrio

Banned
So... titanite shards
You can get as many as you want through the bell covenant? I want to upgrade both my falcions... but afraid of using them.

Carcetti

There are so many enemies in this game that just seem to absorb magic damage. The old knights in the
tower area
, the dark stalkers at the
wharf
, it feels like each area has large enemies that take 5+ soul arrows, even with 40 INT, and it's not like there's just one or two of these enemies, they are all over the place. In general I don't feel like I've gotten very much stronger since the start of the game, even after putting that many points to INT. I upgraded my staff a couple of times, but the staff I have is still the one I started the game with. I never felt like this in Dark Souls 1, I felt like magic in that game was perfectly balanced against the bonfire placement and enemy distribution between bonfires, as well as the magic equipment available throughout. Add to this the dearth of interesting spells at the point I am (I finally found a sorcery vendor and
he just had several more versions of soul arrow that don't seem to do dramatically more damage than great soul arrow, an incredibly situational version of soul spear, and the starter staff.
) I just don't feel like magic is something the developers of this game really cared about. I hope that changes as I get further, because I'm determined to finish the game as a sorcery user, but I'm really feeling like I've got the short end of the stick.

Well, I'm sort of in the same boat. One of my characters started as a pure int sorceress and I was having trouble at some parts. Then I got a hex staff and a dark pyromancy flame, raised my stats to 40 int 24 faith and use sorcery, pyro and hexes mixed. Int and faith boost secondary stats like fire and dark so much that I feel actually pretty powerful as long as I've loaded good spells for each area. From hexes, the dark orb is especially useful at some areas as it tends to kill sorcery-resistant enemies in couple of hits and I can load up 40+ uses in 2 slots

The spells I mainly use are Great Heavy Soul Arrow (x2), heavy soul arrow, combustion, dark orb. Normal soul arrows are too weak after a few areas as Great Heavies and Dark Orbs stagger enemies.

I got 15 bosses down and intend to get some more tonight after I get the kids to bed, so magic is definitely viable. My only other weapon is a rapier +3

hey guys question, i am a sorcerer for the first time, is it viable to put some points into END/ Strength along with INT, as i want to be able to sue at least smaller swords and a bit of gear or does that spread too thin? Sorcerer only starts with 3 str.

stupei

Have you upgraded both or either of the Falchion? One thing I'm keeping a close eye on is bleed dmg. Aparently DEX gives bonus to bleed dmg, and upgrading the Falchion also increases it's bleed effect, so I would think that using 2 of them could be pretty crazy on bleed with a DEX of 40.

I've upgraded both, but just to +1 so far -- like a lot of people, sort of concerned with lack of shards so far -- and my DEX isn't nearly high enough yet to make a considerable difference, but now I'm tempted just to focus intensively on getting DEX to 40 earlier than I'd planned.

This could be awesome.

Seems like in some encounters there are environmental tools that you can use that can cause friendly-fire damage.

Summoned two phantoms into the fight against
the pursuer
and one of them definitely took out the other accidentally using the environment the same time he landed the last hit on the boss. (Kind of a shame. Me and the other guy had him down to 2/3.)

*DUTY FULFILLED*

Small stones have a time limit, white soap stones don't. You need to finish something before getting a large one - but they will last you until the boss dies.

TheChaos

I'd like to give thanks to From Software for making whips useful this time. I got the whip from the beginning of the game and am kickin' ass with it.

Aeana

Well, I'm sort of in the same boat. One of my characters started as a pure int sorceress and I was having trouble at some parts. Then I got a hex staff and a dark pyromancy flame, raised my stats to 40 int 24 faith and use sorcery, pyro and hexes mixed. Int and faith boost secondary stats like fire and dark so much that I feel actually pretty powerful as long as I've loaded good spells for each area. From hexes, the dark orb is especially useful at some areas as it tends to kill sorcery-resistant enemies in couple of hits and I can load up 40+ uses in 2 slots
I'll keep that in mind. I haven't come across hexes yet, and I only just got the regular pyromancy flame and I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

hey guys question, i am a sorcerer for the first time, is it viable to put some points into END/ Strength along with INT, as i want to be able to sue at least smaller swords and a bit of gear or does that spread too thin? Sorcerer only starts with 3 str.

I do recommend putting some points into Strength/DEX just so you can use some of the smaller swords. I've been using the Flame sword you can get early on combined with my Soul Arrows and it's working out well so far.

Question. Is it better to double up on Soul Arrow so I have 62 of them or put say Heavy Soul Arrow on there instead? Maybe 60+ Arrows would be great for trash enemies until you get to bosses where the Heavy versions would be more useful?

Does the Sorcerer NPC in
the shipyard area
ever come back to Majula? The thought of having to go back to him when I want stuff... bleh.

He moves to Majula once you've talked to him and/or cleared the area. He's on the cliff to the right of the blacksmith's house.

Is there anything left in the forest of the giants, after i explore the place that is filled with turtle armor people?

I haven't gone through this part of the forest, but there's another boss in that area.

Maybesew

I've upgraded both, but just to +1 so far -- like a lot of people, sort of concerned with lack of shards so far -- and my DEX isn't nearly high enough yet to make a considerable difference, but now I'm tempted just to focus intensively on getting DEX to 40 earlier than I'd planned.

This could be awesome.

I have 1 to +5 and another to +3. but my DEX is only 24. I haven't noticed any major bleed type effects the way I used to with Uchigatana in DS1

Summoned two phantoms into the fight against
the pursuer
and one of them definitely took out the other accidentally using the environment the same time he landed the last hit on the boss. (Kind of a shame. Me and the other guy had him down to 2/3.)

I've accidentally taken someone out with it before also - thankfully it was just another summon and not the host.

Carcetti

I'll keep that in mind. I haven't come across hexes yet, and I only just got the regular pyromancy flame and I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

I can PM you a spoiler for the location of the great staff I'm using if you need it, it helped me a lot.

todd360

After you've beaten the Ruin Sentinels, you reach a bonfire. Go down the ladder near it, and use on Pharros Lockstone on the contraption below. This grants you access to a new area, the Belfry Luna. You have to beat the area boss to access the Bastille Key as a lootable item located beyond the area boss.

Good luck...with both making it to the mist door AND the boss. :)

Dude they seriously hid a whole area behind a lockstone? I need that key but I'm not sure if I have anymore lockstones. I'm gonna have to track one down and then go get the key.

georly

Small stones have a time limit, white soap stones don't. You need to finish something before getting a large one - but they will last you until the boss dies.

The large ones do have a time limit. It's really long though. Didn't count, but id say 10-15 minutes before it kicks you.

dubq

So just so I have this straight.. Phantoms are helpers and Shades are PVP battles? I nearly summoned a shade last night when I needed help, but decided not to as it sounded... shady. ;)

david-caruso-gif-sunglasses-1.gif

Marcel

Beat
Royal Rat Vanguard, The Rotten and Scorpioness Najka.
The scope of this game is amazing. I feel like I'm pretty far in and yet there are still so many locked doors and mysterious passages.

I simply can't comprehend why someone would use a small stone over the normal one.

I forget - does the small one restore your Estus if complete it? There have been a few times I've tossed down my large one because I ran out of Estus and wanted a refill by time it was done, although helping out on some of the boss fights with no estus can be a bit tricky.

Also if you want to stock up on some healing items/etc that you get as rewards for finishing your duty - there is a higher chance of surviving the time-limit then there is when needing to defeat a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom