• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

So I haven't been leveling vitality at all since I'm so used to wearing light stuff from dark souls 1 and I can actually wear some of my heavier armour while still staying under 70%. Is it worth putting some points into do you think?

So have they gotten rid of Riposte in this game? When I Parry the guy just falls down and I dish out normal attacks.

And I'm not quite sure how to guard break. Or what it even looks like.

When u land a parry, you cant reposte until the guy is on his ass for about a second, don't attack too early or it will just be a normal hit.

Guard break it Forward+R1, can only be done when enemy has shield raised.

Tirod

Any reason to get above 20 endurance? I'm at like 29 now, and i'm not feeling it as much as i did in DS1

To make your Stamina bar larger! I stopped at 20 because that's when diminishing returns start, but even if I went to say 29 like yourself, it'd still be helpful. That's an extra roll/longer sprint/extra weapon swing. Just not personally sure how high it should go just yet. If I was swinging a big ol' strength weapon though, 29 would seem like a very desirable number.

Before you got the Uchigatana what were you using? I'm having a lot of trouble going full Dex... just don't feel like I'm getting any good weapons. Did you dual wield or are you going shield for the boss fights?

I was 2 Handing the Falchion for the majority of the game. Got it up to +9, didn't want to waste a Slab. Getting the Uchi so late does hurt, there simply aren't any other good weapons with low strength requirements that are good with Dex. To be fair, the Shotel was hloding its own as well, was switching between the Falchion and Shotel for durability reasons.

As for bosses? Dual wield? Shield? Ha, no. Two hand your shit and roll. If you need the extra DPS, use a resin. The only wall I personally had was the
Ruin Sentinels

Still haven't beaten the game, I've been PVPing, so we'll see if there is still any wall left to speak of.

georly

I keep touching bloodstains in the hopes that they'll provide some insight on what's coming up next or what kind of trap to expect, but 98% of the time it's some idiot rolling or walking off an edge.

Bloodstains never tell you what you want to know, silly. Theyre for entertainment!

halfbeast

Banned
so, I felt a bit adventurous! I went down that hole and finally found
The Gutter
. it's like FROM was thinking: hey, remember what people hated in Demon's Souls? - I do! remember what they hated in Dark Souls? - of course, you know what, let's combine them and make their worst nightmare ever!

at least I found that
petrification remover, btw awesome animation when you release her, lol - and now I can do pyromancy (but still no magic, wtf) - also, barbie mode unlocked?

Who sells homeward bones? :O

doesn't the cat sell them? or the lady in the giant forest (but I think it's the cat).

Maybesew

Filth

Lost 60,000 souls last night. I was to deep in the iron castle and I swear their is only one bonfire right in the beginning. If their is another it's very well hidden. 60,000 souls though. Geez.

Tirod

Hmm. What stat would you bump instead of the Str then? Is Shotel better than Uchi?

Personally, I'd probably pump them into Endurance for an extra action.

The Shotel is not better than the Uchi unless it's opposite day. I just have a shotel to put pressure on turtles in PVP, then switch back to Uchi. Can't just be a one trick pony against real people. :)

Thanks for the information! Finally finish the majority of my lab reports so I can play Dark souls 2 finally :D Its been horrible having Dark souls 2 next to me and not play it.

So i redboxed the game(I'd decided i wanted to hold out on my purchase til pc version) and played it for like 12 hours straight before i noticed i was rushing the game, and that's no way to play Darksouls.

I got up to the fourth/fifth boss, the one in the
sewers
and i can't help but notice how obscenely more difficult it is this time around. Every single boss has been an absolute test of patience and willpower. The one i got stuck on is the absolute worst offender, since the run back is so long, and so dangerous because of all the damn archers, especially the ones
by the bonfire, really?!
. It didn't help that my "build" was awful. I started with a knight and was using my broadsword +5 and a 100% shield i found
after the second boss, in that first room on your left after the crows nest
I purchased and upgraded a longsword to +4 before i realised it's functionally identical to the broadsword now, just longer so i couldn't tell if i'd wasted souls on the broadsword or the longsword at this point. I had something like 24 Vit 13 end 21 str 12 dex and 13 agillity(?) and was level 54ish. Again though, i must have been doing somethign wrong because i was slow, weak(relatively, i could 1-3 hit most monsters, but "powerful" is no way to describe my character) generally having a rough time of it, especially on those asshole by the elevator on the run back to the boss.

So! Come PC i'll try again, I may do knight again, may do warrior, might do naked just so i can customize more. Who's found a decent build progression for heavy melee? How's sorcerer treating everyone?

Soriku

Personally, I'd probably pump them into Endurance for an extra action.

The Shotel is not better than the Uchi unless it's opposite day. I just have a shotel to put pressure on turtles in PVP, then switch back to Uchi. Can't just be a one trick pony against real people. :)

I see lol. Anyway, thanks for all the info.

One final question. Where is the Falchion?

Maybesew

WOW, so it doesn't just stop at 40 like in DS1? Wonder how large it actually is by lvl 99.

I mean, for endurance, all i really care about is: do i have enough to do my combo and then roll away? I think i'm at that point at 30, but it probably varies from weapon to weapon.

It DEFINITELY seems to vary by weapon. But I'm not sure there is a stat on any menu that can show you what the values are. And I am like you where I want to find that perfect END value that allows me to get in a combo or enough attacks on a boss and then roll out

The smith in the starting town sells it.

Brick

is there a way to get back into
the gate where Pate tells you to go in, i died and the gate is down

Yeah, there is. If you go through the big gate near him into the next room (the one with the bombers above and the huge turtle knight) and hang a right, there is a ladder that takes you up. Just go left at the top of the ladder and you are back at the end of that area.

Tirod

I see lol. Anyway, thanks for all the info.

I have no idea to be honest. The past 2 days have been such a blur with all the playing I've done, I don't really remember.

I want to say the earliest I got one was by buying it from the blacksmith in Majula -I think-. I got a second one as a drop, but I don't remember from which enemy type/zone.

Sorry I can't be of more help on that front. :(

Artorias

Banned
Can anyone point me towards the Bastille Key? I'm so confused.

I have the guide even, but its fucking terrible. The map doesn't seem to show what the room containing the key is connected to, and the walkthrough usually just tells you there is an item, not what it is. I've bought some terrible guides before, but this may be the first one I actually ask for a refund. There is simply no quick way of looking up any information in the guide aside from boss tactics. I can't believe they printed this garbage. What a waste of time.

Is anyone else here dual wielding and having a tough time? lol

Kind of shitty how the class that is allegedly designed to dual-wield, the swordsman, is vastly inferior at dual-wielding than the knight.

From did a weird job on the starting classes this time around. Used to be they were all useful for starting one build or another (except deprived perhaps), but in DSII only a couple are actually ideal. It's basically a roleplaying choice at this point if you want to choose anything other than a knight, bandit, or mage.

The Bastille Key is the reward for clearing a specific boss. I'll spoil tag the details underneath in case you want them:

The entrance to Belfry Luna is in the room underneath the bonfire after the three Sentinels boss fight. You need a Pharros' Lockstone to open the door to it. Beat the boss to get the key.

Aeana

There are so many enemies in this game that just seem to absorb magic damage. The old knights in the
tower area
, the dark stalkers at the
wharf
, it feels like each area has large enemies that take 5+ soul arrows, even with 40 INT, and it's not like there's just one or two of these enemies, they are all over the place. In general I don't feel like I've gotten very much stronger since the start of the game, even after putting that many points to INT. I upgraded my staff a couple of times, but the staff I have is still the one I started the game with. I never felt like this in Dark Souls 1, I felt like magic in that game was perfectly balanced against the bonfire placement and enemy distribution between bonfires, as well as the magic equipment available throughout. Add to this the dearth of interesting spells at the point I am (I finally found a sorcery vendor and
he just had several more versions of soul arrow that don't seem to do dramatically more damage than great soul arrow, an incredibly situational version of soul spear, and the starter staff.
) I just don't feel like magic is something the developers of this game really cared about. I hope that changes as I get further, because I'm determined to finish the game as a sorcery user, but I'm really feeling like I've got the short end of the stick.

Tirod

I have the guide even, but its fucking terrible. The map doesn't seem to show what the room containing the key is connected to, and the walkthrough usually just tells you there is an item, not what it is. I've bought some terrible guides before, but this may be the first one I actually ask for a refund. There is simply no quick way of looking up any information in the guide aside from boss tactics. I can't believe they printed this garbage. What a waste of time.

After you've beaten the Ruin Sentinels, you reach a bonfire. Go down the ladder near it, and use on Pharros Lockstone on the contraption below. This grants you access to a new area, the Belfry Luna. You have to beat the area boss to access the Bastille Key as a lootable item located beyond the area boss.

Good luck...with both making it to the mist door AND the boss. :)

joe2187

Banned
Was summoned to a world to fight a boss and the motherfucker who summoned me wouldnt stop singing in what I believe was mandarin...

I jumped off a cliff before I remembered that you can turn off voice chat

georly

I have a theory, but i need some questions answered first.

1. If you get 10,000 souls, die, then die again and lose the souls, does your max soul counter say 10,000 or 0?
  2. When you respec, do you get all your souls back or do you just get point to put back into levels?

If so, can you then get all the best gear in the game, respec, purposefully kill yourself and lose your souls, and then wreck newbies with end-game gear (leveled up items with low stat requirements)?

Loving the game so far, not sure if I like it more than Demon's/Dark Souls yet - but I think it will be earning a spot in my 'favorite games of all time'.

In some ways, it feels more like Demon's Souls than Dark Souls, and since I like Demon's more out of the two - that's fine by me.

I was kind of skeptical of the 'warping from the start' and risk making the game too easy - but it's really not that far off from the arch stones in Demon's Souls, so no biggie. It also seems like there is good reason now and then to walk between spots to run into things that might not of been there before.

Difficulty feels good also - while the souls games have always been hard, I never really bought into the 'omg, hardest game ever!' mindset that some people have. It's difficult, but rewards patience. Once you learn the systems and play to them - it's not so bad.

The first few hours of the game can be pretty tough if you find yourself out of healing gems, still at 1 estus and feeling like your in a bind at times - but it's not too long until that will pass.

To be 'nitpicky' about things - haven't really had many of the 'awesome awe-struck' moments that you had in Demon's & Dark Souls - some cool ones, but nothing like the first impression of the Gaping Dragon crawling out of the pit, or the oh-shit factor of dealing with the Capra Demon the first time.

I still think that Demon's Souls trumps both games when it comes to atmosphere in level design - nothing really beats Tower of Latria for me. The graphics can be a bit inconsistent at times - some areas look really good, especially when it's dark and using torch-lighting, other areas feel a little muddy and washed out - but all around I don't mind them.

I do like how not every boss has just been a straight-forward ass whopping, and defeating the
rat boss took me quite a bit of time, and liked the over all feel of the fight
. I love doing co-op in this game, and have beat most bosses with summoned help - but kind of thinking I want to do a 2nd character soon and do more things solo.

Yesterday I had the day off work and put in quite a marathon session and just sort of pushed as far as I could.
beat dragon slayer, dragon rider, finished No Mans Warf, killed the giant, the pursuer, the rat boss, cleared most of Last Bastion - but haven't beat the boss yet, opened up The Huntsman Corpse, etc.

This morning ran around a bit for an hour before work and back-tracking, taking some time, trying to find hidden things I missed, etc.

Started to explore
The Gutter
.... but feeling like
Valley of Defilement and Blight-town
had a baby, and I decided 'not for now'.

Trying my best to avoid spoilers - I want to read/talk about/discuss the game - but also not get anything spoiled outside of maybe some 'mechanic' oriented things. Don't even know how many areas/levels are in the game - let alone what to expect in any of them. I've had to unsubscribe from a few news feeds/etc due to seeing a list of videos with 'Dark Souls II - Some Boss Strategy' etc..

Tirod

Is there seriously no good dex weapon until the end of the game? If so,, that's terrible.

Guess I'll get used to using the Falchion...

The Falchion is what I'd personally consider the best option for Dex until later weapons, yes. DAT SCALING.

Keep it upgraded too, you'll be surprised how much damage it does.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

So basically, magic got nerfed?

iOFEEtGCPksbu.gif

Ferrio

Banned
Question about wharf

Wiki says there's a poison merchant there... I haven't seen the guy... going to look again though. Anyone confirm?

Maybesew

But I don't dual wield my falchions the whole time. When I really need something fast, I switch to two handing the Scimitar +3 and I keep a shield slotted into the left just in case.

Tempted to try dual wielding axes. Wonder how that feels.

Have you upgraded both or either of the Falchion? One thing I'm keeping a close eye on is bleed dmg. Aparently DEX gives bonus to bleed dmg, and upgrading the Falchion also increases it's bleed effect, so I would think that using 2 of them could be pretty crazy on bleed with a DEX of 40.

Rolfgang

Started today as a Swordsman, but the 4 Vigor was a bit too low, so I restarted just after the
White Knight
(couldn't beat him). Then I started as a Knight (which has imo almost perfect starting stats) and everything went a lot faster.

Now I've defeated the
White Knight
, mostly because of the Witch Urns you find a tad later. Those things obliterate him. And that sword he drops is awesome!

Artorias

Banned
The Bastille Key is the reward for clearing a specific boss. I'll spoil tag the details underneath in case you want them:

The entrance to Belfry Luna is in the room underneath the bonfire after the three Sentinels boss fight. You need a Pharros' Lockstone to open the door to it. Beat the boss to get the key.

Thank you so much. I've been to scared to use a Lockstone after feeling like I wasted the first one. I'll go grab that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom