• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh that sword isn't very good considering most bosses are Fire resist. Its definitely a nice treat early on though but should be dropped shortly affer

Really wish From would work on diversifying the resistances.

Fire = Generally not worth it
Lightning = OP against most save a few
Dark = Almost nothing besides end game stuff has resist.
Poison Weapons = Useless outside pvp
Bleed = Useless outside pvp
Magic = Probably the most balanced.

Chake

Banned
Not even halfway done. Maybe 25% through?

You done same amount as me from what heard it about 1/4 maybe more. I don't think your halfway it really is a long game

quarter of the bosses in-game if that gives you a clue, there is a ton of content in the game and I should note that there are even optional bosses I'm not including in that.

Quarter of the game, eh? Impressive amount of content, to be honest.

mellow

there is a locked door..I don't know how to open it for the life of me.I have searched everywhere over and over again.

yeah, you need a key..in the room with the locked door, take the elevator up, maybe you missed the lever

Ah, I have the same question, though. How do you get down into that pit? And, is the fire monster down there even worth making that trip?

silver cat ring or whatever that reduces fall damage

there are a bunch of items in the area..I'm lvl 120 and I still get wrecked pretty quickly

yeah, you need a key..in the room with the locked door, take the elevator up, maybe you missed the lever

silver cat ring or whatever that reduces fall damage

there are a bunch of items in the area..I'm lvl 120 and I still get wrecked pretty quickly

Holy lord, I'm only lvl 38. No way I'm jumping down into that death pit.

mellow

the lever isn't working.I am literally mashing X and I just can't get it to work...So I am screwed now ? :v

oh..sorry, I don't remember all that much even though I did it just today ~___~

yeah the need to take the elevator down from the top before it'll work

right this is what I think you do, you have to go UP from the bonfire, you know the other way you can go, or maybe it's up the ladder next to the lever/elevator

follow that path all the way and eventually you'll find the thing you need, naturally after fighting your way through quite a few enemies

Wow... after making my way through
Iron Keep
, finding a bonfire that doesn't really help me proceed since I need to fight through a TON of extra enemies on that route, carefully picking off tons of archers and big guys, making my way through some death traps including a brute that forced me to back into a fire pit... I get to a big open area with an obvious boss fight of fiery doom. I've got one flask and 24000 souls. I'm going back.

Question to those who own the game on PC.

Is it worth it? I mean, I never played any of the Souls games before, mostly because I was sick of everyone gushing about how stupid hard it was and how it made the game a masterpiece, but I've heard that this game actually has a learning curve before it gets stupid hard.

I was wondering if I should get it for PC, since I don't want to buy a full console for it, and my current PC isn't exactly that powerful.

I've never had any real interest in the Souls games to be honest, but I was thinking about picking it up when I have the cash available.

Edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot and didn't see it hasn't come out yet on PC

Dresden

Iron Keep
, finding a bonfire that doesn't really help me proceed since I need to fight through a TON of extra enemies on that route, carefully picking off tons of archers and big guys, making my way through some death traps including a brute that forced me to back into a fire pit... I get to a big open area with an obvious boss fight of fiery doom. I've got one flask and 24000 souls. I'm going back.

There's a bonfire close to that boss.
Look for a ladder in that room with the spiked walls and the fire breathers.

Iron Keep

You missed a bonfire. The room before that wide open space (one with the 6 fire breathing things and the spikes on the wall/turtle guy at the end there is a ladder that leads to a bonfire. Up the stairs from that bonfire is a switch that turns off all the fire breathing traps.

TraBuch

Banned

Is it worth it? I mean, I never played any of the Souls games before, mostly because I was sick of everyone gushing about how stupid hard it was and how it made the game a masterpiece, but I've heard that this game actually has a learning curve before it gets stupid hard.

I was wondering if I should get it for PC, since I don't want to buy a full console for it, and my current PC isn't exactly that powerful.

I've never had any real interest in the Souls games to be honest, but I was thinking about picking it up when I have the cash available.

You could always pick up the first Dark Souls. It's significantly cheaper and chances are if you like that, you'll like this.

Mupod

WHAT. I went in there as a phantom and thought it was empty so I forgot about it. Apparently phantoms can't see bonfires.

The boss is not a big deal, but he's got some buggy nonsense that instakilled me a bunch of times. Regardless when I'm low on estus and such I just drop my summon sign, you get the equivalent of a bonfire resting when you beat the boss with the host.

rando14

Royal Rat Authority is one of the best bosses I have encountered in the game.Also I thought Doors looked beautiful visually.

AGH SCREW
ROYAL RAT AUTHORITY
lol. I dont know why but that boss has been by far the toughest boss for me yet. Though I guess I'm just weird, I easily handled the
Sentinels
but that dumb rat took me 20+ tries :(

TraBuch

Banned

You missed a bonfire. The room before that wide open space (one with the 6 fire breathing things and the spikes on the wall/turtle guy at the end there is a ladder that leads to a bonfire. Up the stairs from that bonfire is a switch that turns off all the fire breathing traps.

Huh. I must've done something backwards because I didn't even get to that area until after the Smelter Demon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought that bonfire dropped you down in a pit that only let you move on to the tower.

Huh. I must've done something backwards because I didn't even get to that area until after the Smelter Demon.

The area in question is after the Smelter Demon. Actually the Smelter Demon can be bypassed entirely by climbing the ladder to the left of its room.

I thought that bonfire dropped you down in a pit that only let you move on to the tower.

Not that one. Proceed past that area until you get to the place that looks like a cage with spikes on the wall. In the center of that cage are 6 fire breathers in a rectangle, one on each end, two on each side. There is a ladder in that room leading upwards to a bonfire. Then you walk up the stairs and flip the switch to turn off the fire for the entire zone. This way if you die you only have to kill the one turtle guy blocking the exit to get to the boss instead of having to go through like 3-4 rooms full of enemies.

Well the series isn't hard if you have half a brain, you just have to be patient. This entry does have a lot more cheap tricks to try and kill you though, that's a big reason I don't like it.

Prototype

If the death count jumped over the weekend, that's because I started playing on Saturday.

LOL. seriously. lol, my girlfriend jumped I burst out laughing so loud.

So, last night (er morning...) I was so tired I used the bonfire asetic in the wrong area... wrong bell tower...
and I don't even want the weapon I thought I did

sigh... what is done cannot be undone...

HeelPower

oh..sorry, I don't remember all that much even though I did it just today ~___~

yeah the need to take the elevator down from the top before it'll work

right this is what I think you do, you have to go UP from the bonfire, you know the other way you can go, or maybe it's up the ladder next to the lever/elevator

follow that path all the way and eventually you'll find the thing you need, naturally after fighting your way through quite a few enemies

I have watched a video...I am literally encountering a fatal game bug..There is supposed to be a stone giant statue that lights up when you defeat enemies...It absolutely doesn't in my playthrough..I tried many times to kill the enemies and they don't do it.

I'm thinking I need a better sword, I'm currently at
Brightstone Cove
and rocking a Broadsword +5, feels like it's starting to be outclassed, is there a good upgrade of a similar style I can find at this point? Actually any upgrade no matter what type I'm happy to try. I'm at strength 20 and dexterity 12. Thanks.

Alright, boss battle time! I have a few unexplored boss fog doors, which one should I tackle first?
The one at the end of the large rope bridge above Huntman's Copse, the one behind the waterfall in Huntsman's Copse, the first one in the Black Gulch or the one at the end of the flooded dungeon in Sinner's Rise?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why would I (or wouldn't I) kill
the giant ant
in the Gutter?
I want to know this too. I started whacking at it, then saw it wasn't attacking and left it alone. A message (with just 1 rating mind you) said "friend ahead". Don't know what to think of this.

No kidding. i hate it
Wot. Iron Keep is one of my favourite areas. Level design is stellar.

npc, need to be bell tower cov, only spawns some of the time, very rare drop rate. Human not needed.

Very hard fight unless you have some sort of cheese mechanism.
Similar moveset to the Chaos Blade from Dark Souls, which was one of my favorite weapons, except in this case the 1H R2 attack is a highly useful thrust.

It also seems like it will be pretty powerful when upgraded. I've only put one twinkling titanite into it, and at 18STR/40DEX it only does 14 less damage than my Blacksteel Katana +10 while also weighing 2 units less.

Haven't been there yet, will check it out when I do.
Got the Berserker Blade (yes, you can get it in NG without Bonfire Ascetic)...goddamn this thing deals. It's shorter than the default Uchigatana/Blacksteel Katana (it's the old katana length in DS1) but it hurts people bad and I only have it at +2. Need more Twinkling Titanite to buff it further.

The one handed R2 is the Uchigatana stab, the two handed one is the Demon's Souls Uchigatana R2 and a Iaito-style draw slash followup.
Fuuuuuu. I remember getting in that place and fending off an invader, then getting murdered by the Orma greatshield tank dude, and just as I died I saw a BP with dual sabres coming my way. I was all WTF? I didn't see any invasion message. I didn't know about the random BPs at all at this point. He never showed up again after that. So I can get him to respawn and farm him? I really want that katana, it looks incredible. I like my uchi and blacksteel, but this looks even better. Looks like it's a bitch to farm for it though. :( Is it the best katana in the game? Any other way to get it?

Any DEX players find a boss soul weapon they really like?
I want to know too. So far the spider fang has been underwhelming.

Not sure if you're still going see this since this thread moves so fast, but:

starting from the upper bonfire in the Gutter, head left and jump across platforms where necessary until you get close to the wall. There will be a ladder that goes away from the boxes into a cave area. There's a door in there. I'm still not sure how to open it yet
Thanks! I'll investigate further.

How do you get
chunks from the bell covenant?
Win. xD

Whoever did the voice acting for Vengarl has an amazing voice. I want to listen to an audiobook by that guy.
I think he's my favourite NPC so far. :) Love his voice, accent, and his story is kinda cool. Loved it when he
asked me to kill his body, haha. Then when I did I spoke to him again and he was all "good job!". Awesome. Plus his helmet is the Hound's! I need to cosplay Sandor Clegane some time...

So best way to save elemental stones is to use regular titanite first?

I was thinking to get to +10 poison you'd need 10 poison stones...
Nah, you use the stone to infuse a weapon, and then you keep upgrading it with regular titanite.

Guh, totally at a stand-still right now. Beat the Dragonrider, but can't seem to hold my own against the Old Dragonslayer.

So, took a detour and headed to Huntman's Copse, where those Torturers completely tear me apart. Then, headed to the Grave of Saints, but get smacked down by the Rat Vanguard. And, going to No-Man's Wharf, get destroyed by those long-armed creatures that inflict bleed. No matter which route I have open now, just can't seem to make any progress. Any suggestions?

I'm soul level 38, warrior, with most of my points allocated to strength and endurance.
Get good?

(Sorry, had to. But um, get a bow or something ranged, that will help you immensely. If you don't have the dex for any bow, use a crossbow, you can aim in first-person to snipe with it now!)

Lol at (Gulch spoiler)
The Rotten. Is this guy this games Pinwheel?
Hahaha. Nah, that's the
Covetous demon
, I'd say. But yes, the
Rotten hits hard but is so slow that you can easily retreat to heal and it's easy to dodge anyway. I got hit like once, because I got greedy and swung one extra hit, I just used one Estus and then murdered him. Was really surprised he was a Great Soul.

Wow, they are going to need to adjust that significantly.
They probably will. Dark Souls 1 had tons of balancing patches, no doubt this one will be the same.

How did you get down the hole to the Grave of Saints? I'm SL 65 and even with the fall damage ring I die falling to the first platform.
I don't understand fall damage in this game. Is it % based, but counting your total HP in body form, so that's why you sometimes die even at full health? Because it makes no sense that you'd need to level up VIG to survive falls. In DkS1 it was always a % of your health that you lost.

Honestly, besides getting owned by the Old Dragonslayer, it's mostly being frustrated in Huntsman's Copse and getting destroyed by the Torturers. The normal enemies in that level are a piece of cake. But those Torturers....ugh. They're fast, they inflict bleed, and no matter what I do, they can easily three hit me. :(
Are the torturers the twin sickle fatties? Just bait their attack and kill them when they're open. They telegraph their moves pretty hard, they're not that tough. Rolling backwards is usually more than enough for all their attacks.

The Washing Pole is fantastic, the length is ridiculous and it does more damage than the Blacksteel and Uchi. Unfortunately, it only has 20 durability. It's a good thing I have about 8 +10 weapons or I'd be in some trouble.
Ohhhh nice. Where is it? Just tell me if it's loot (then I'll find it eventually) or if it's a drop I need to farm?

Concerning No Man Wharf and the pharros contraption there, . I've completed the level so I'm just curious.
Worth it. You find plenty of Pharros Lockstones later.

I found
infusing my katana with rotten pine resin
to be hugely effective against him.
Oh? Interesting. I used sticky white stuff aromatic ooze myself. Did decent bonus damage. I should use poison resin more... it was kinda crap in DkS1, so I neglected it, but I forgot how strong poison is in this game.

So I was just thinking... is the
Huntsman's Copse
area completely optional?
No, you need to beat the
Skeleton Lords
to progress into
Harvest Valley > Earthen Peak > Iron Keep (lord soul)
. I'm thinking the
Executioner Chariot
is optional, though.

AngryMoth

Ok, can someone tell me if I'm about to fight the final boss because if so there's a bunch of stuff I want to try first.
I have collected 3 giant souls from the forrest and have come back to the throne of want where I am now standing in front of a fog door even though I already beat a boss here.

I'm having trouble using boss souls. I have absolutely no use for them and yet I'm reluctant to use them.

I wouldn't recommend it. There are two vendors in the game you can trade in boss souls for boss weapons. The number of souls you can get for consuming them isn't worth it imo.

Does using a bonfire aesthetic revive the enemies if they aren't respawning anymore?

It respawns enemies in the bonfire's area increased by 1. This means on a first playthrough you will respawn those enemies in NG+ mode. The effects are permanent. So if you beat the game and do a NG+ the enemies in that bonfire will be in NG++ mode.

Dresden

Well, wrapped up the final boss (I suppose? credits are playing). Not a bad design, but a boring fight.

Not sure if I want to go through ng+ and wade through all the bullshit again. The game really needs someone to go over it and tweak enemy placements, health values, etc - not to mention just lopping certain areas out of the game altogether.

The last few levels were strong enough that I ended up enjoying it, despite all my complaints through the middle run. Won't be double dipping on pc. Certainly the worst Souls. Please save us, Miyazaki. The world needs a Demon's Souls 2. :(

Lol wow, was farming sunlight medals at the medusa boss and I instantly died when spawning back in my world for no reason whatsoever. Don't even know where my souls/bloodstain is.
Edit: yep searched the entire level. Nowhere to be found. GG From

Well, wrapped up the final boss (I suppose? credits are playing). Not a bad design, but a boring fight.

Not sure if I want to go through ng+ and wade through all the bullshit again. The game really needs someone to go over it and tweak enemy placements, health values, etc - not to mention just lopping certain areas out of the game altogether.

The last few levels were strong enough that I ended up enjoying it, despite all my complaints through the middle run. Won't be double dipping on pc. Certainly the worst Souls. Please save us, Miyazaki. The world needs a Demon's Souls 2. :(

All those dumb encounters are like twice as dumb on NG+

I'm on
looking glass knight
NG+ right now and it's SO STUPID

Certainly the worst Souls. Please save us, Miyazaki. The world needs a Demon's Souls 2. :(

I'm not done with the game yet, but I can certainly agree with the sentiment based on what I've played. I'd love a Demon's Souls 2. So. Much. But according to IGN, Atlus says it's 100% not happening. :(

Sande

So many levels in this game just throw more enemies at you, rather than place them creatively or do anything interesting with them. Did anyone enjoy getting bumrushed by the eight or nine greatsword knights in
Lost Bastille
on the way to the first boss? Is carefully pulling one guy out of a dozen at a time and praying no one else comes with them really much fun?
Thing is, you're supposed to be rushed by the whole mob and that's one of the greatest improvements over Dark Souls. They didn't just litter the maps with enemies that you lure to piss-easy 1v1 fights, they're hard-coded to come at you in a group a lot of the time. Lost Bastille is over the top though.

Me and my friend found the game better than Dark Souls, especially bosses. There are a few areas that I might dislike once the novelty wears off, but, hey, Dark Souls is nothing if not a game full of mediocre areas and a few great ones.

It's supposedly proper souls etiquette to bow before a PVP fight, but I throw that completely out the window when I get invaded. I don't want you invading me when I'm exploring, and I will kill you before your greeting-animation completes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
AGH SCREW lol. I dont know why but that boss has been by far the toughest boss for me yet. Though I guess I'm just weird, I easily handled the but that dumb rat took me 20+ tries :(
Took me about 3 tries. The trick is to
kill the small rats ASAP. Like, really got to get a perfect killing spree on them as quickly as possible (a bow helps, you can snipe at least two fairly easily before the others reach you, at least on my dex build and a longbow+9 I ohko them). The moment you're toxic, you're pretty much screwed.

Once the small rats are out and you aren't toxified, the big one is not too bad. He hits hard, but telegraphs his attacks and they're fairly easy to dodge, and once he finished his attacks you usually have enough breathing room to chug one estus or lifegem or get a hit or two. His defense isn't that strong so he should go down fairly quickly but since he hits hard, take your time, don't attack unless you're sure of the opening.

Good luck!

I was so glad when I found that one. Felt stupid for missing the ladder. But after dying once on the boss and respawning all the way to the
Belfry Sol
bonfire, I decided to explore more thoroughly. I think a message told me, "ladder, left" or something and I went "ohhhhh" and then seeing the bonfire was one of those "sweet Jesus thank you" moments. XD I fucking love these games.

putarorex

Does the online use region-based servers? It seems so, based on the names I am seeing (many Japanese names and I'm in Japan).

I've put about 20 hours into the game and I've only been invaded in the pvp areas like the bell tower and most of my opponents will bow before starting the fight. My kill to death ratio in DS2 has been much better than the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom