• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
A note about hexes: you'll need to go past 30 in either int or faith in order to acess some of the higher level spells. Don't go with Int; Affinity, the Pursuers clone, is a nerfed version of it with far less tracking and damage. Even worse, it takes three spell slots.

Faith gets, on the other hand, Climax (ALL YOUR SOULS PER CAST), along with being able to access some of the higher level miracles (including greater lightning spear).

Hexes really are the way to go if you want a pure caster experience. Being able to use basically every branch of magic in the game is nifty as hell.

When do you encounter hexes? I haven't even found one yet... and I've been going Int, without knowing how to prepare in advance.

Get a bow. Any bow, even a shortbow, will do. Otherwise it's the most frustrating bullshit I've ever seen in Souls. :(

I'm halfway through and loving it! Such a good challenge but then again I have a bow that deals 300+ so those pesky mages aren't an issue for the most part.

d00d3n

Anywhere can get bonfire ascetic, I bought one from blacksmiths daughter used it on the heides tower bonfire get another drangonrider soul.

I've only taken down the sinner so far and just reached earthen peak.

There is one in lost bastille. Chop away the wood hiding a secret entrance near the hedge knight. Kill the dogs in the yard. Climb into the building and kill the three hollows. Kill the two hollows in the next room also. Use the pharros stone in this room. Go up the elevator in one of the secret rooms. Roll down to the level under you - here you will find a bonfire ascetic. You must roll two more times to safely reach the ground.

Dresden

When do you encounter hexes? I haven't even found one yet... and I've been going Int, without knowing how to prepare in advance.

You need to get to
Huntsman's Copse.
There's a vendor at the start of that place who'll talk to you if you have the right stats (8int/8faith).

According to Bamco you need to be within 10 levels and within 50,000 Soul Memory to either co-op with or invade someone. Which is generous at the start, but is an increasingly narrow range as you accumulate souls.

My Soul Memory is 2,316,502 at the moment. So only other players who have between 2,266,502 and 2,366,502 Soul Memory are available for me to do online stuff with, if what that Bamco rep says is accurate. Which seems crazy, but I'm getting less and less co-op as my Soul Memory increases, so even if it's not completely accurate there seems to be some truth to Soul Memory slowly strangling the online component as you play.

Yeah I can confirm this. I cna no longer summon my brother since he started to PVP even though we are the same soul level, he spends/loses most of his souls in other ways.

Damn it From!!

Sullichin

slayn

needs to show more effort.
If you're late game and still looking for bonfire ascetic, look up how to join the abyss covenant.
The leader sells like 10 of them, and you can farm more from the enemies in the abyss.

How are you guys in invasions? I was invaded once at Heide's and the guy was using a Twinblade which didn't give me any trouble once I figured it out. But so far in roughly twenty hours no other invasions besides the one Brodent and two Bell Tower invasions in another dudes world.

I've never been invaded, and have never been summoned as a blue phantom. Seems really rare. After following some bum message advice, I destroyed the only chest in the game that contains a token of spite, so decided to try invading to earn a replacement for joining a covenant...and I'm utterly terrible in pvp apparently. Been principally using a mace, and the range is way too short, the swings too tiring, and the poise damage negligible. I get wrecked by people with swords just mashing R1 while I try to block or evade.

After failing five times, I ran out of cracked red eye orbs. They seem pain in the ass to farm too, only found one in an hour of trying. That may be preventing people from doing more invasions.

johntown

Banned
A note about hexes: you'll need to go past 30 in either int or faith in order to acess some of the higher level spells. Don't go with Int; Affinity, the Pursuers clone, is a nerfed version of it with far less tracking and damage. Even worse, it takes three spell slots.

Faith gets, on the other hand, Climax (ALL YOUR SOULS PER CAST), along with being able to access some of the higher level miracles (including greater lightning spear).

Hexes really are the way to go if you want a pure caster experience. Being able to use basically every branch of magic in the game is nifty as hell.
Don't most hexes require INT though?

I am really like Soul Vortex and the homing soul arrow spells so far for INT. Soul Vortex only seems useful in PVP though,

Mupod

PVP is going to get real annoying once people figure out how overpowered certain hexes are. I mean it's fine for sunlight spear to do 1200+ damage because it's slow and has only 3 casts (and you can only ever get one copy). But there's a hex that does 1400+, casts instantly and you can get tons of casts. Got invaded in drangleic castle and it was like playing a bullet hell game including the 'one hit you die' part.

gonna start looking for a havel shield equivalent I guess

Do I even get anything out of summoning dark phantom invaders?

Practice? If you want to get something for winning, summon dragon signs instead. Lots at the iron keep bridge.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
This one is hilarious!

It was a little perfect in terms of timing. I had pretty much just completely resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going anywhere without a Homeward Bone or a suicide when I got the invasion message.

They should just change it to +/-10 +10% for SL, and +/-50,000 + 10% souls. It still wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better than what it is atm.

The hard 50,000 definitely isn't completely accurate, for what its worth. I messaged someone I co-oped with who had a Soul Memory that was ~120,000 lower than mine. The range doesn't seem all that broad still, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a hard 50,000.

Anecdotally I'm starting to think the Sunbros do something at least somewhat significant in terms of broadening your range. Practically every fellow phantom I see at this point is also a Sunbro. White phantoms have gotten relatively rare by comparison.

That's hardly scientific, obviously. Just something I'm starting to notice.

Mupod

so in the forest of giants with that pit with the fireball blowing things..does anybody know how to open that door?

Key in
iron keep.

You can also jump down there with the cat ring, if you land on the pile of rubbish on one side.

don't mess with those salamanders early on. Hell they suck to fight at SL120

mellow

so I found the cracked eye orb and tried using it a few times..

wow, she's insanely tough, I came close once, but between the healing and that wrath of the gods lookalike's ridiculous cast speed that takes half of my health in one go that she spams and encompasses half of the room you fight her in..anyone beat her? any tips?

Zeliard

Doors of Pharros is terrible. The boss design has really taken a nosedive compared to previous games in the series. With the exception of Smelter they've all been pretty awful, unimaginative encounters.

I think I'm going to do a hexer for my next character, with an eye towards using the Dark Souls 2 equivalent of Grant. 40 Strength on top of 30 Intelligence and Faith is pretty steep for a weapon that might well not be any good, but eh. Re-specs and all that.

I'm interested in using hexes but faith is pretty much the only stat I haven't put any souls into yet, so if I go down that road I'll literally be spread out over every stat. Will probably save hexing for a pure magic build on my second playthrough.

Sullichin

Key in
iron keep.

You can also jump down there with the cat ring, if you land on the pile of rubbish on one side.

don't mess with those salamanders early on. Hell they suck to fight at SL120

Woah, can't believe I completely forgot about this little area.

So are there anyone here who is dual wielding only? I was thinking about trying out Swordsman when I pick up the game next month(PC). How difficulty or easy are you finding it. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going with the Swordsman?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wow, what a load of shit.

Pyromancy trainer related.
Apparently if you open the gate before Rosabeth gets away, even if you kill all the enemies and she doesn't take a hit, apparently, she still dies, as she's not anywhere in Majula.

So lame.

Also, trying to take down Smelter without Lucatiel dying is a complete and utter bitch.

FluxWaveZ

Just got access to dueling and PSN names like "LinkofOolacile" and "AbbadonRises" made me think that a lot of it was against AI opponents, until I realized they were all real.

This magic stuff is hard in PvP, with the current spells I've learned.

Ferrio

Banned
So are there anyone here who is dual wielding only? I was thinking about trying out Swordsman when I pick up the game next month(PC). How difficulty or easy are you finding it. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going with the Swordsman?

Dual wielding seems to be useless IMO. I was really excited, but I see no benefits from it...only a shit ton of downsides.

Ferr986

Well, after looking everywhere I had to crave and look the spoilers for the peak boss and fuck you FROM, how I was supposed to discover that?

Anyways, killed the boss easily after that. Returned to Majula and saw some new dude in the hole
payed him and now Im in Blighttown. Thanks Obama :/

Mupod

Wow, what a load of shit.

Pyromancy trainer related.
Apparently if you open the gate before Rosabeth gets away, even if you kill all the enemies and she doesn't take a hit, apparently, she still dies, as she's not anywhere in Majula.

So lame.

Also, trying to take down Smelter without Lucatiel dying is a complete and utter bitch.

It takes her a while to show up, so all might not be lost. And yes, I gave up on that questline, the only boss I could keep Lucatiel alive for was Flexile.

MrDaravon

If I'm going pretty much pure melee is there any point to putting points into Int/Faith to get those vendors to pop up?

Also, do any good Dex weapons drop or is Strength the way to go this time? About ~12 hours in and have beaten 3 or 4 bosses, and pretty much everything I've found either scales to Dex/Str equally, or only with a slight advantage in Dex. I hate the scimitar, but I loved running with the Uchi/Iaito in the last game. I'm getting to the point now where I feel like I'm doing okay on my Vit/End/Adp etc and should probably start pumping points into either Dex or Str for damage, but at a bit of a loss short of leveling them equally or something.

mellow

That was easily my toughest test in the game so far, one that I didn't overcome, I ended up beating it without her surviving in the end after wasting 15+ effigies. I also co-op'd it for a bunch of people and saw her survive once out of 20+ attempts. She doesn't do much better against the Lost Sinner either. She's pretty useless in boss fights and it's just frustrating that you have to keep her alive during most of them to finish her questline.

I feel like I'm going to have to attempt that on a new character, there's no way she's surviving NG+ and further.

Though I wasn't using the ring that makes enemies lock onto you more, maybe that'd help.

Mupod

oh yeah, I finally fought mirror knight. Makes me laugh seeing all those 'comparison' shots from people complaining that they removed the lightning and rain since the demo, but it was still there.

damn, now I need to put 4 in Faith then! haha

the lady who sells miracles has a ring that gives +5 faith. I don't know if that works for purposes of vendor dialogue but it works for spell attunement, so it should.

HeelPower

HELP PLEASE in Drangleic
castleKilled the dragonriders and killed the stone statue guys over and over so many times...I also searched everywhere and I have no Idea where to go.Please help.

Dual wielding seems to be useless IMO. I was really excited, but I see no benefits from it...only a shit ton of downsides.

I'm the opposite: I've been dual wielding since I started and love power stance and the special attacks you get. Granted I rarely ever use shields in Souls games and prefer flat out dodging so the downside of no blocking or parrying isn't really a downside to me. Supplemented with a bow/few spells for range and I've been kicking ass. Most two-handed greatsworders I've taken down in a flash in PvP.

It's good if you make the right build for it.

Just found out that the Berserk Blade guy is supposed to be some rare occurrence. I've literally run by him a dozen times and not even given him the time of day, lol.

mellow

HELP PLEASE in Drangleic
castleKilled the dragonriders and killed the stone statue guys over and over so many times...I also searched everywhere and I have no Idea where to go.Please help.

Hm? Dragonriders? The
duo bosses
? it's pretty straightforward to the
Mirror Knight
from there I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom