• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErichWK

Is there anyone who will sell me better arrows than the shitty regular wood ones? The blacksmith won't sell me anymore iron arrows. Sigh.

I'm the opposite: I've been dual wielding since I started and love power stance and the special attacks you get. Granted I rarely ever use shields in Souls games and prefer flat out dodging so the downside of no blocking or parrying isn't really a downside to me. Supplemented with a bow/few spells for range and I've been kicking ass. Most two-handed greatsworders I've taken down in a flash in PvP.

It's good if you make the right build for it.

What do you suggest? Focus on agility and endurance?

Chake

Banned
How far am i?

I killed:
The Last Giant.
The Pursuer.
The Ghost ship boss.
The Skeleton trio.
The Dragon rider.
The Old Dragonslayer.
The Ruin Sentinels.
The Lost Sinner.

Now am at
some green acid looking place

Ferrio

Banned
I'm the opposite: I've been dual wielding since I started and love power stance and the special attacks you get. Granted I rarely ever use shields in Souls games and prefer flat out dodging so the downside of no blocking or parrying isn't really a downside to me. Supplemented with a bow/few spells for range and I've been kicking ass. Most two-handed greatsworders I've taken down in a flash in PvP.

It's good if you make the right build for it.

Just way too many downsides IMO

-Can't parry
-Must maintain two weapons to upgrades
-Animations for most the options seemed shitty (curved swords were nice though, only combo besides fists that I liked)
-Didn't seem to increase that much in damage.
-Requires 1.5x stats

How far am i?

I killed:
The Last Giant.
The Pursuer.
The Ghost ship boss.
The Skeleton trio.
The Dragon rider.
The Old Dragonslayer.
The Ruin Sentinels.
The Lost Sinner.

Now am at

Not even halfway done. Maybe 25% through?

Hystzen

How far am i?

I killed:
The Last Giant.
The Pursuer.
The Ghost ship boss.
The Skeleton trio.
The Dragon rider.
The Old Dragonslayer.
The Ruin Sentinels.
The Lost Sinner.

Now am at

You done same amount as me from what heard it about 1/4 maybe more. I don't think your halfway it really is a long game

Rektash

Alright guys, one quick question:

How to kill the crystal lizard in the
Huntsman's Copse
? I just spend a good 30 minutes trying to run up to it and killing it before it runs off the cliff. I am kinda out of ideas here.

Doors of Pharros is terrible. The boss design has really taken a nosedive compared to previous games in the series. With the exception of Smelter they've all been pretty awful, unimaginative encounters.

The same can be said about a lot of areas in the game, period. The game is super inconsistent.

On the one hand, it's awesome that there are so many bosses and varied areas. On the other hand, at least half of them are basically a big fart noise. So many of the bosses are DeS/DkS bosses but with more mobs to deal with (
Big King Rat Playa just feels like Sif but with longer attack chains and extra dudes
. Likewise, a good chunk of this game just looks and feels super lazy compared to other areas. All the best stuff is right at the end - which, granted, is a nice change from DkS, which was frontloaded with all the good areas - but it's not much comfort when you have to slog through crap like
Shaded Ruins
and
Brightstone Bad Neighborhood
to get there.

I mentioned early in the thread back when I was playing my copy early that I felt like the enemy placement and general encounter design was bunk, and I stand by it. So many levels in this game just throw more enemies at you, rather than place them creatively or do anything interesting with them. Did anyone enjoy getting bumrushed by the eight or nine greatsword knights in
Lost Bastille
on the way to the first boss? Is carefully pulling one guy out of a dozen at a time and praying no one else comes with them really much fun?

This isn't the whole game, obviously, but there are lots of places where the game just feels like a lazy slog.

FiraB

Banned
How far am i?

I killed:
The Last Giant.
The Pursuer.
The Ghost ship boss.
The Skeleton trio.
The Dragon rider.
The Old Dragonslayer.
The Ruin Sentinels.
The Lost Sinner.

Now am at
quarter of the bosses in-game if that gives you a clue, there is a ton of content in the game and I should note that there are even optional bosses I'm not including in that.

So, I just found
Straid, this guy who let's you trade demon souls for demon weapons
Just want to know, should I? In the least spoilery way possible, tell me, there isn't a better way to use these souls right?
I imagine this
trading thing is replacing the old upgrade route
yeah?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
oh yeah, I finally fought mirror knight. Makes me laugh seeing all those 'comparison' shots from people complaining that they removed the lightning and rain since the demo, but it was still there.

the lady who sells miracles has a ring that gives +5 faith. I don't know if that works for purposes of vendor dialogue but it works for spell attunement, so it should.

Ohhh, good looks!
That's a much cheaper option. Thanks.

Are there advantages to re-specing late game if you find new gear/different playstyle you want to try? I've never done it in a game before, just a thought. Wasn't sure if there were severe penalities or it really just let's you cleanly re-design yourself to try different approaches.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy crap I met
havel
in one of the dark caves. He got me good. Gonna need more effigies to attempt these rooms again. Is there a vendor that sells an unlimited amount?

So, I just found
Straid, this guy who let's you trade demon souls for demon weapons
Just want to know, should I? In the least spoilery way possible, tell me, there isn't a better way to use these souls right?
I imagine this
trading thing is replacing the old upgrade route
yeah?

The boss souls can only be used for one other purpose: Using it to obtain souls.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Doors of Pharros is terrible. The boss design has really taken a nosedive compared to previous games in the series. With the exception of Smelter they've all been pretty awful, unimaginative encounters.

Game's got a bit of a case of the ol' quantity over quality goin', but I rather liked some of the late-game bosses.

It's kinda the opposite of the first game in that a lot of the best bits are at the end.

Where can I find a shield that gives 100% phys and 100% fire resist? And if I do find one, can I use it to get past
the dragon breathing fire down the tunnel in the first area
?

mellow

I have no idea where to go...I just found an area loops around and thas it...So annoying right now.

you're at the central bonfire after the
dragonrider's
, right?

It's literally in the next room where the elevator that goes up is, though I can't remember if there was a locked door there you have to open first, if so you have to go up through the castle and fetch something to unlock it.

Where can I find a shield that gives 100% phys and 100% fire resist? And if I do find one, can I use it to get past
?

You dont need a shield for that.
Just time his pattern and run to the door on the left when it's safe.

Dresden

Game's got a bit of a case of the ol' quantity over quality goin', but I rather liked some of the late-game bosses.

It's kinda the opposite of the first game in that a lot of the best bits are at the end.

Yeah, most of the interesting designs/encounters came near the end. It's backloaded in a weird way, where the last 1/4 of the game is a step up visually* and makes all the junk early on seem not just lazy, but rushed.

*although
Aldia mansion
is as drastic a downgrade as I've seen in a game, holy shit

mellow

Holy crap I met
havel
in one of the dark caves. He got me good. Gonna need more effigies to attempt these rooms again. Is there a vendor that sells an unlimited amount?

I don't think so, they're finite

I had some good drop rates farming them from the
water creatures in shrine of amana

Alucrid

Banned
Need some late game direction.

Got the King's ring. Do I go to Throne of Want before taking in the Dragon Shrine? I'm guessing you need something else from there to get the Giants to come alive?

I mentioned early in the thread back when I was playing my copy early that I felt like the enemy placement and general encounter design was bunk, and I stand by it. So many levels in this game just throw more enemies at you, rather than place them creatively or do anything interesting with them. Did anyone enjoy getting bumrushed by the eight or nine greatsword knights in
Lost Bastille
on the way to the first boss? Is carefully pulling one guy out of a dozen at a time and praying no one else comes with them really much fun?
I had to run back to the beginning of the stage, hoping only one followed to pick them off individually.

Not enjoyable.

What do you suggest? Focus on agility and endurance?

If you start as a Swordsman, early on you want to focus on Str/Dex/Adp. You'll likely need decent Str and Dex to power stance your weapon of choice. Starting Adp on the Swordsman is pitiful, so getting it up to 10 or 12 early is a high priority so you can dodge easier.

After that it depends on how you want to specialize. End and Dex would be my recommendations because more End lets you do longer power stance combos and still be able to dodge out of harms way. And Dex opens up bows since you'll need them for long range.

I personally did a hybrid build and threw a bunch into Int so I can cast Magic Weapon on my main hand weapon and also have a few ranges attack spells, but pure dual wielding is probably better spent elsewhere.

?

You can just run down the cave there and open that door and get inside without getting hit, if you time it right. No shield even needed.

oh yeah, I finally fought mirror knight. Makes me laugh seeing all those 'comparison' shots from people complaining that they removed the lightning and rain since the demo, but it was still there.

that's what I said in the #YOULIED thread and everyone was demanding I show proof

that's what happens when you examine 480p screenshots instead of actually playing the game

No,
I want to go past that into his room and kill him.

Ah, I see. From there, you can't go into the room. He's shooting at you from a ledge you can't jump up onto. You can get to where he is by jumping down at a certain spot just below the 2nd bonfire (The rubble that's piled up on the far end of the room furthest from where the lizard is).

I just rolled a swordsmen..only like an hour in. Should I pick something else?

I play with high Dex high INT...

Whats the issue with Swordsmen for "battlemage" build?

No issue. That's what I'm playing as and starting as Swordsman worked fine, outside the starting Adp.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah, most of the interesting designs/encounters came near the end. It's backloaded in a weird way, where the last 1/4 of the game is a step up visually* and makes all the junk early on seem not just lazy, but rushed.

*although
Aldia mansion
is as drastic a downgrade as I've seen in a game, holy shit
Reminds me of Metroid Prime 2 with Sanctuary Fortress.

HeelPower

you're at the central bonfire after the
dragonrider's
, right?

It's literally in the next room where the elevator that goes up is, though I can't remember if there was a locked door there you have to open first, if so you have to go up through the castle and fetch something to unlock it.

there is a locked door..I don't know how to open it for the life of me.I have searched everywhere over and over again.

Just made it to
Doors of Pharos
, and I'm in the
rat covenant
. Will I piss off the
Rat King
if I kill the boss of this area? I still am trying to max out my
rat ranking

Oh, and does
Tark
disappear if his phantom dies in the boss fight? I can't find him and I heard he gives out a de-petrification item if I go talk to him again.

Sanctuary

is it worth it? I died like 7 times earlier trying to get inside, lol.

All you have to do is get as close as you can without getting hit, then run and open the door. Once the door has finished opening, dodge inside.

Yes, it's very worth it.

edit: lol, nvm.

HeelPower

Royal Rat Authority is one of the best bosses I have encountered in the game.Also I thought Doors looked beautiful visually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom