• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, with some time (and luck) you can make some decent-looking creations. My only complaint with Dark Souls' was the hair options.

From Software IMO should pull a Dragon's Dogma in terms of character customization. Tons of Hairstyles and face styles and let me modify em too.

Where did you preorder from and where are you hearing this news about getting stuck with the standard edition?

According to Amazon when I emailed them today to ask what was up with my lack of a delivery estimate for my preorder, the game is on back-order. They didn't say when it would be available. I will be extremely upset if this means that whenever it does ship, it will be the standard edition and not the black armor edition. (I am in the USA and placed my preorder several weeks ago.)

By all accounts, it sounds like someone really messed up.
I preordered mine from Gamestop, but a friend of mine who works at Best Buy said they only got 4 copies of the Black Armor Edition and the rest were standard and CE, and that people had to specify BAE when preordering in order to get it. Now, it could very well be he has no idea what's going on and only 4 people preordered the game, but it was enough to cause me some mild concern.

I guess I'll just restrict myself from warping. I loved getting stuck in places for hours in Dark Souls. It forced me to memorize the area and think up all kind of strategies. I can understand that many people don't like that stuff.

I wonder if that's realistic.. Can I throw away the item that allows that warping?

I don't fast travel in games.. if it's basically that, I'll avoid doing it.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's always amusing for me with character customization in games like this, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim.. Spend 20 minutes getting the perfect character, start wearing helmets like 10 minutes into the game.

Demon's != dark souls.

Dark is open world.
And I prefer that. I.e. Because you could get stuck in some areas.

Dark Souls isn't open world, it's a collection of branching paths. Compare it with something like Elder Scrolls or Assassin's Creed. The best thing about the series, in my opnion, is that every area is designed with intent and it lacks an open world game's big areas of nothing in particular.

The main difference between it and Demon's Souls in this regard is that it's bigger.

I'm glad I don't care when Amazon is going to deliver my multiple copies of the game. I'll be playing Day1 Digital first and keep the physical copies fo safekeeping.
I just hope 1) that PSN doesn't crash 2) my internet doesn't die on the 11th D:

Randam

Dark Souls isn't open world, it's a collection of branching paths. Compare it with something like Elder Scrolls or Assassin's Creed. The best thing about the series, in my opnion, is that every area is designed with intent and it lacks an open world game's big areas of nothing in particular.

The main difference between it and Demon's Souls in this regard is that it's bigger.
Okay. Seems like I don't know what open world is.

What are some ow games?

Seance

Banned
Found a warrior stream at the start of the game, if anyone wants to watch.

PM pls

Also sorry boys but just because Demons Souls had fast travel doesn't make it any less weak in Dark Souls 2. Demon Souls had grasses and we now have gems and herbs and shit. Still a stupid design decision. Respeccing, unlimited gems at merchants, fast travel every bonfire are all weak as fuck.

Prototype

From Software IMO should pull a Dragon's Dogma in terms of character customization. Tons of Hairstyles and face styles and let me modify em too.

Agreed. I really liked the character customize options in Dragons Dogma. I was a sucker for the Berserk items tho and my 1st playthrough I just made a copy of Guts lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, different body types too. Dark Souls technically has those, but it's barely noticeable. Dragon's Dogma has the best character creator I've ever seen so far, to be honest.

PM pls

Also sorry boys but just because Demons Souls had fast travel doesn't make it any less weak in Dark Souls 2. Demon Souls had grasses and we now have gems and herbs and shit. Still a stupid design decision. Respeccing, unlimited gems at merchants, fast travel every bonfire are all weak as fuck.

So I guess for the non-spergs who didn't mind those things the game is officially un-ruined? Cool, I can go back to being excited about it.

oroboros

unlimited gems at merchants

Is this true? I thought they were only drops? Don't think they are going to help that much anyway because they heal so damn slow and not instant like the herbs did. A lot of deaths seem to be in one big burst of damage so a slow heal over time effect shouldn't save anybody.

Is this true? I thought they were only drops? Don't think they are going to help that much anyway because they heal so damn slow and not instant like the herbs did. A lot of deaths seem to be in one big burst of damage so a slow heal over time effect shouldn't save anybody.

I'm starting to wonder what the point of the Heal miracle is anymore given so many other avenues for healing. Really the only way I can imagine it remaining relevant is if it heals almost instantaneously (which seems unlikely) or it heals significantly more than estus or life gems over time.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Warping is going to ruin Dark Souls II just like it ruined Demon's Souls!

Oh wait...
Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time but I've never played Demon's. Maybe when I play Demon's I won't like it? I'm not toooooo worried about warping being available from the beginning (more worried about bonfires being closer together), but "It was kind of the same in Demon's therefore it's OK!" is a pretty weak argument.

Seance

Banned
I'm starting to wonder what the point of the Heal miracle is anymore given so many other avenues for healing. Really the only way I can imagine it remaining relevant is if it heals almost instantaneously (which seems unlikely) or it heals significantly more than estus or life gems over time.

Burst AoE healing, but with significant cast time. You're right healing miracles are terrible now. You can invade / be summoned with 99 of every gem and all your estus

Stet

Banned
I wonder if that's realistic.. Can I throw away the item that allows that warping?

I don't fast travel in games.. if it's basically that, I'll avoid doing it.

I can't imagine Dark Souls 1 without warping. I'd have lost my mind trying to explore everything.

Oni3298

Agreed. I really liked the character customize options in Dragons Dogma. I was a sucker for the Berserk items tho and my 1st playthrough I just made a copy of Guts lol.

I did the same... lol.

Were you like me in hoping the whole time you were playing that you'd come across the Berserk armor?

And was immensely disappointed when it wasn't in the game? ;.;

Gbraga

Capcom IMO should pull a Dark Souls in terms of being fucking released on PC at all.

60fps Dragon's Dogma, I can't, HGGGNNNNNNN

xZ2sEbd.gif

oroboros

The only reason I can think of using a slot for Heal is if you have one that heals your whole party, so if you want to be a sunbro or something and play a sort of support / helper type role. Also I dont know if phantoms can heal themselves with Estus or gems at all again, but you can still use Heal spell when you are a phantom without having to rely on your host to heal you with their flask. It would be cool if the Heal had an offensive side to it or something like Omniknight in Dota, where you heal and also do AOE damage around you while healing to make it more useful.

Why wouldn't they?

Balance reasons, wondered if they'd work the same way as estus.

I should clarify I meant whether or not phantoms could use gems to heal themselves, but I suppose the question of whether the host using one of those items heals a summoned phantom is worth asking as well.

Kind of ridiculous if red phantoms can heal themselves that easily.

ironcreed

Banned
PM pls

He stopped already. Sorry.

ezekial45

Banned
For anyone else who's playing the game, I need some help.

Fairly early spoilers
I just beat The Last Giant boss. Am I supposed to head to Hiede's landing next? It's the place with the giant armored guys. I'm having a hard time against them.

Also , when can I reverse hollowing? It keeps saying I can't burn the human effigy.

Seance

Banned
Balance reasons, wondered if they'd work the same way as estus.

I should clarify I meant whether or not phantoms could use gems to heal themselves, but I suppose the question of whether the host using one of those items heals a summoned phantom is work asking as well.

Well you can use estus as a phantom.........lol. And no estus does not heal anyone but you, ever. Same for lifegems I can only assume.

PM pls

I wouldn't mind seeing that stream too, PM please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom