• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Is there any way to recognize trap treasure chest or is it impossible to tell before opening them? I've been afraid of opening chests because of that.

Booshka

Is there any way to recognize trap treasure chest or is it impossible to tell before opening them? I've been afraid of opening chests because of that.

No real way to tell of traps, although mimics can be noticed. I just hit every chest ONCE and then would hold my shield up and prepare to roll away after opening just about every chest.

Usually it is the Wooden chests that are a threat, and I think only them have traps. Metal and Wooden can be Mimics though.

NEO0MJ

Usually it is the Wooden chests that are a threat, and I think only them have traps. Metal and Wooden can be Mimics though.

I've never had trouble with mimics in DS I but these new trap treasure chests are a huge pain. Never met mimics yet in DS II, though.

Mimics do have a tell, but not as obvious as DS1. If you know it's one, don't risk attacking, just hit it with a Lloyds Talisman and it opens up.

Zeliard

Be careful about smacking wooden chests to do a mimic check since breaking them turns whatever was inside to rubbish (and unlike in Dark Souls 1, rubbish is actually useless this time around).

Cerity

all i can say is...wow

So torches are still useless then as a result I assume?

Torches were never useless if it's the same as the console versions, if you've got your brightness set up correctly you will be needing to use them in quite a few places.

Dresden

I've never had trouble with mimics in DS I but these new trap treasure chests are a huge pain. Never met mimics yet in DS II, though.

You can see if it is trapped as the opening animation plays out. Just tap on roll or block if you see a crossbow or a gas/fire ball, you always have enough time to get away.

Why? Which mace? I'm running a mage build and i'm currently using a Fire longsword that forced me to 10str.

A regular mace. Strike damage is very efficient. Fire longsword is a decent weapon, but a club or a mace will outperform it, especially early on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Be careful about smacking wooden chests to do a mimic check since breaking them turns whatever was inside to rubbish (and unlike in Dark Souls 1, rubbish is actually useless this time around).
I (literally, btw) punched my chair so hard it went rolling 10 feet when I noticed this was the case. Out of curiousity, I destroyed my first one and got rubbish. Second time, I wanted to confirm if that was truly the case... boom, rubbish. Man, the anger.

Tecl0n

Rapier is boss in DSII. Fast, decent damage and stun locks galore due to gimped Poise. Also, you can still parry with them when power stanced because it's on the R2.

Roll R1, R1, L1 (power stance) owns face in PvP.

EDIT: Almost forgot, you can also quickly guard break between pokes. So you can poke (R1), then throw a guard break (Forward + R1) while they are staggered to try for the Riposte if it drains their stamina (indicated by the Matrix bullet time stagger).

A quick question about it, can i power stance with more weapons (plus the rapier) if i up str a bit?

fade_

You can see if it is trapped as the opening animation plays out. Just tap on roll or block if you see a crossbow or a gas/fire ball, you always have enough time to get away.

Unless its in water you can kinda see the teeth if you look closely enough as well.

L.O.R.D

OMG
i just found out how to upgrade my stats and level
that really helped me
the game is too big,i don't know where to go
is there any map or something will show me where to go ? or where should i go ?
i am picking places at random , found a road branch and there is new area

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It really does feel like a lot of slash weapons got essentially neutered due to a lot of harder enemies/bosses having more resist to it than strike.

Finally got
Smelter demon
down, with Lucatiel, no less, though. Great Club+5 did the job nicely.

What's the best strategy for the turtle knights in the iron keep? Their overhead smash is unblocking and I'm having a hell of a time roll-evading, even with a < 70% load.

HECK YEAH

Just co-oped the Pursuer. One on the arrow gun, and me running hazard. He went down pretty quick. Just gotta get him into position.
Best way to do it. He was a pain at first for me without that strategy

eot

Banned
'kill the dogs first' doesn't help with this many dogs haha

Am I supposed to be able to
get rid of those stone statues of people blocking places? I've cleared out Lost Bastille but that last bonfire is inaccessible.

Zeliard

OMG
i just found out how to upgrade my stats and level
that really helped me
the game is too big,i don't know where to go
is there any map or something will show me where to go ? or where should i go ?
i am picking places at random , found a road branch and there is new area

I would just keep playing the way you are right now. I think that's the most enjoyable way to play these games - just explore at your own whim and see where it leads you.

General rule of thumb with these games is that if an area seems to have exceptionally hard-hitting and durable enemies, it's likely a place that the most straightforward path would have you coming to later, but by no means should you feel the need to if you think you can work your way through it.

Booshka

It really does feel like a lot of slash weapons got essentially neutered due to a lot of harder enemies/bosses having more resist to it than strike.

Finally got
Smelter demon
down, with Lucatiel, no less, though. Great Club+5 did the job nicely.

Great Club is my favorite weapon in this game, it absolutely wrecks PvE. One shot pretty much every enemy in Iron Keep at +10 reinforcement.

Strike/Thrust is definitely the way to go for PvE in this game, so having an Estoc and Great Club paired together just destroys PvE, and is pretty effective for PvP too. Not sure why, but the Estoc gets a B in STR scaling at +10, as opposed to DkS1 where it was more of a Dex/Quality weapon.

I would just keep playing the way you are right now. I think that's the most enjoyable way to play these games - just explore at your own whim and see where it leads you.

General rule of thumb with these games is that if an area seems to have exceptionally hard-hitting enemies, it's likely a place that the most straightforward path would have you coming to later, but by no means should you feel the need to if you think you can work your way through it.

can you really choose where you go? so far i have more or less been on a set path. i don't see anywhere to go in that main area except towards the forest of giants. then after the forest of giants
that bird comes and takes you to the bastille area

Jesus. Helping others beat bosses get you PAID. I feel like I'm breaking the game by aiding people.
Only thing that breaks it is when the summoned just tears through the boss for the summoner without letting them help. And with the way people farm games, that'll probably happen a lot.

R1CHO

18 hours I have been playing always scare when opening
fucking chests
, always wondering when
the mimic is going to attack
, trying to look for distinctive patrons.

After all that time, the one
chest i don't double check, and there you are, into the jaws of that fucking thing
, I was very lucky to survive that encounter.

I hate them so much, that I love them.

PS: General spoilers, nothing new for anybody veteran to the series.

'kill the dogs first' doesn't help with this many dogs haha

Am I supposed to be able to
get rid of those stone statues of people blocking places? I've cleared out Lost Bastille but that last bonfire is inaccessible.

You need a
branch of yore
to unpetrify him

Even better.
Parry him, and fire.

That would require me to have the skill to party lol :p

Wok

I am playing a sorcerer. So far, I am SL 40 and I have only leveled up INT. Is there any other stat worth levelling up? I am only interested in damage dealing with spells.

I read attunement is good, but I guess it is memory in my game, which (I remember now) I have leveled up once or twice to be able to have two spell slots.

Dresden

can you really choose where you go? so far i have more or less been on a set path. i don't see anywhere to go in that main area except towards the forest of giants. then after the forest of giants

There's another path you can hit up in Majula.

Zakkath

Is there a way to change the FoV ? I can't put the finger on it, but the game doesn't feel right when I move around. It's close to giving me motion sickness, so I'm guessing the issue could be the FoV.

Superflat

Only thing that breaks it is when the summoned just tears through the boss for the summoner without letting them help. And with the way people farm games, that'll probably happen a lot.

That's also an issue for sure. I usually try not to attack more than the host player, unless he/she's pretty much dead.

I was talking about breaking the game for myself though: I have an obscene number of souls after just an hour or so of being a summon.

Is there a way to change the FoV ? I can't put the finger on it, but the game doesn't feel right when I move around. It's close to giving me motion sickness, so I'm guessing the issue could be the FoV.

I just hate the way the camera moves overhead when you start swinging at an enemy. I guess it's to make it easier to see both characters, but I never had a problem before, and this way just makes it more distracting.

Zeliard

Yes, there
is another path from Majula that goes through two other areas and a few bosses.

Zeliard

That's also an issue for sure. I usually try not to attack more than the host player, unless he/she's pretty much dead.

I was talking about breaking the game for myself though: I have an obscene number of souls after just an hour or so of being a summon.

I strongly recommend dropping a small white soapstone instead of the regular one. The reward you get for helping a host kill a boss is far more valuable than souls (the latter of which you still get, though I think it's more limited in that respect).

Nethaniah

I'm trying to play this with MS/KB, game is making it really difficult, this game would play perfectly if it adhered to the standard controls most third person games have on pc but whatever.

My question is, is there an option to stop the camera from forcing a direction if i let's say run to the right while trying to move the camera left with the mouse? If that made any sense.

R1CHO

The problem is that if you don't try to kill the boss actively, you are actually making a disservice to the host, because I guess the boss it's harder with summons.

I guess?

I am personally trying to not summon anybody, just the npcs when available, because I like the npcs and some probably have "quests". But when being summoned, I just go for the kill, the host ask for help, and I delivered, it's his problem if he doesn't get the "full experience", his choice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1: Download this: https://mega.co.nz/#!7soHmbYK!Q0-Ogg1uxqjq50fMxwpFC51VQhsPCS1o5INq6-kVoMc

2: Extract it to the Steam\steamapps\common\DarkSoulsII\Game (Where the actual DarkSoulsII.exe is.

3: Done, just load the game and you're ready to go. Just be aware that this is incompatible with Durantes GSTDO and will make you crash on startup.

Note: Don't be alarmed by the 5-10 second white screen on startup, it just does that and if you alt+tab, but it won't crash and it's not freezing or anything.

Also, here's some more pictures.

hrCdtts.jpg

RllmHCm.jpg
Mother of God, this is crazy but makes the game unplayable (from a gameplay perspective). GREAT looking though!

Did I just play with NeoGAF mod Aenea who promptly rolled off a cliff seconds after welcoming me?

Anyway, need tips on dual wielding, anyone using it?

I saw a summon named Bish - figured it was a fraud!

Heres a tip: Theres a merchant after the cathedral boss (not
Dragonrider
) at Heide's Tower of Flame that sells an item called Holy Water Urn. They are dirt cheap, and the damage is nothing to sneeze at. You can just chuck these things at whatever is resistant to your attacks or you don't want to get close to. For example: The Old Knights at Heide's are resistant to magic, but two of these will kill them.

Booshka

I am playing a sorcerer. So far, I am SL 40 and I have only leveled up INT. Is there any other stat worth levelling up? I am only interested in damage dealing with spells.

I read attunement is good, but I guess it is memory in my game, which (I remember now) I have leveled up once or twice to be able to have two spell slots.

Attuenement also increases increases casting speed, so you will be firing off spells quicker, so it is worth it for the extra slots as well.

If you are ever confused on what to level up, Endurance and Vigor are always safe bets, more HP and Stamina is always good, especially now since casting now takes up stamina.

Arkanius said:
Soul Level 124:

Not a single soul to help me defeat Royal Rat Authority.
Is everyone bypassing this area?

There is no co op in Rat areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom