• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap the two fat dudes from the beginning of the game..
iN8f04unzO6Vk.gif
SL 100 still hate them

Zeliard

The problem is that if you don't try to kill the boss actively, you are actually making a disservice to the host, because I guess the boss it's harder with summons.

I guess?

I am personally trying to not summon anybody, just the npcs when available, because I like the npcs and some probably have "quests".

You should definitely be actively trying to kill the boss, since you don't want to just mess around and have the host die and need to use another effigy, but I also think it's poor form to just nuke the boss in 5 seconds with powerful spells or whatnot without the host having done anything.

They should ideally try to gain at least some satisfaction from the encounter, though it can be a tricky thing to balance right.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
My bastard sword breaks constantly... I don't have this problem with any other weapon. Am I doing something wrong or can I increase its durability?

Wok

Attuenement also increases increases casting speed, so you will be firing off spells quicker, so it is worth it for the extra slots as well.

If you are ever confused on what to level up, Endurance and Vigor are always safe bets, more HP and Stamina is always good, especially now since casting now takes up stamina.

Right. I need more stamina and more cast speed. Thanks.

Booshka

My bastard sword breaks constantly... I don't have this problem with any other weapon. Am I doing something wrong or can I increase its durability?

Avoid hitting walls and the ground too often. There is a ring that decreases the degradation of weapon durability, so if it is really an issue, you might want to make it a part of your ring equip.

R1CHO

You should definitely be actively trying to kill the boss, since you don't want to just mess around and have the host die and need to use another effigy, but I also think it's poor form to just nuke the boss in 5 seconds with powerful spells or whatnot without the host having done anything.

They should ideally try to gain at least some satisfaction from the encounter, though it can be a tricky thing to balance right.

Yeah, I know, I usually let them do the last strike :| The problem is that it's not always an easy thing to manage the risk, a boss usually can kill you very fast if you make a mistake; but yes, you are totally right.

Trickster

*sigh* Went back to the belfry area to try and kill the boss there. Because the only other places I can go feel horribly overtuned...

Game just feels poorly balanced at this point :/

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The durability of weapons in this game is stupid.

There's a ring
Bracing Knuckle Ring, in Lost Bastille, after the sentries in a hidden room
to slow it down, though I have just been swapping between my heide longsword and great club when one gets low and I haven't found a bonfire.

Usually, when the weapon gets low, unless you're whacking walls, a bonfire should be coming up soonish.

In
no mans warf
there near the boss bit there is a pole with a wheel and a string going into the water...is that anything?
Where the mage is sitting
Also is there a shortcut to get to the ship? Only way I found was to go all the way around from up top?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In
no mans warf
there near the boss bit there is a pole with a wheel and a string going into the water...is that anything?
Also is there a shortcut to get to the ship? Only way I found was to go all the way around from up top?

that wheel
does nothing

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hmm I must just be whiffing too much and hitting walls. My one handed sword hasn't broken yet, but the bastard sword I've already repaired a several times. It takes big huge hacks though I guess Im hitting too much crap. Thanks for tips

In
no mans warf

There is a shortcut, but not nearly as short as you think. It only cuts off maybe 1/3 of the path.

Because enemies don't respawn after X amount of times, does that mean you're fucked if you die before retrieving souls, since they're essentially gone forever?

Hixx

Been playing this tonight off a cyber-mate's Steam account. Had a +4 Bastard Sword by the time I got to the 'first' boss (or second, I suppose, I had took out
The Pursuer's bonus round first
)

Sucka had no chance
ibg1yxwimtZgdv.png

Have they changed weapon durability from the console version? I've put nearly 80 hours into the PS3 version and never had a weapon break. Twice in the FoFG I've had weapons break in the PC version :|

Because enemies don't respawn after X amount of times, does that mean you're fucked if you die before retrieving souls, since they're essentially gone forever?

Don't worry about losing souls, unless we're talking 50k+ (depending on where you are in the game of course). The game gives you more than enough over the course of the game.

Jin

I need help on getting this one soul. It's in Forest of the Fallen Giant near the second bonfire. Specifically it's on a wooden platform above the cave where the frog is shooting out fireballs next to the room where you get the fire longsword. Any idea?

Edit: Thanks.

I need help on getting this one soul. It's in Forest of the Fallen Giant near the second bonfire. Specifically it's on a wooden platform above the cave where the frog is shooting out fireballs next to the room where you get the fire longsword. Any idea?

Don't worry about it, you can get there through normal progression later.

EDIT:

You can also try this, but it's unintentional and basically a sequence breaking/speedrun technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsVQ1SGYBgI

Dresden

You unlock that area later in the game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Later.
much later

Booshka

That's a super-late game area that only speedrunners attempt to get to before you are supposed to.
Don't worry about it now, move on.

Trickster

Also the belfry area is some next level bullshit. Why the fuck do mobs in the area completely ignore invaders and go only for me? I'm already dead because I always get invaded by 2 people within 20 seconds of entering the fucking area.

Haunted

Dat feeling when you're happy that you beat a monster... and then it suddenly gives you the ol' "..." in the subtitles, indicating that it was actually an NPC character you could actually talk to.

fuck

Booshka

Also the belfry area is some next level bullshit. Why the fuck do mobs in the area completely ignore invaders and go only for me? I'm already dead because I always get invaded by 2 people within 20 seconds of entering the fucking area.

The invaders are part of a Covenant to protect the bell tower, so they are essentially on the side of the enemies. It's an area designed to make you rage and scream.

Tried out the ENB posted here. Visually it makes the lighting look a lot closer to the old build. I went down the infamous hallway area and without a torch I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me.

But the DOF blurring out everything in front of you is hideous

xBladeM6x

Dat feeling when you're happy that you beat a monster... and then it suddenly gives you the ol' "..." in the subtitles, indicating that it was actually an NPC character you could actually talk to.

fuck

I've done that before. This is how I felt. xD

Cas-shake-head.gif

Zeliard

fuck

Ouch.

A gravestone should pop up in that location the next time you hit up a bonfire, so you should still be able to talk to them and buy stuff from them if they're a merchant, but it will cost you souls every time you activate them. Not sure how it works if it's an NPC that would typically move to another location.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Summoning and being invaded works about 1000000000% better than GFWL Souls.

Despite putting like 75+ hours into the first game, it feels like I'm actually finally playing Dark Souls for the first time. Bro-op is so fun; was helping bros with the Wharf and the first part of Iron Keep today. What a great boss.

alazz

Yep, but you can get tons of souls through co-op easily. However, you can also burn an item to respawn the area at the next NG+ difficulty (and this apparently affects area bosses, so I wouldn't do it just to grind at a low level).

I'm pretty sure I got over 200K souls (maybe even over 300) last night from co-oping 30-odd times. I mean, it's just nuts how quickly you can get souls from co-op.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yep, but you can get tons of souls through co-op easily. However, you can also burn an item to respawn the area at the next NG+ difficulty (and this apparently affects area bosses, so I wouldn't do it just to grind at a low level).

I'm pretty sure I got over 200K souls (maybe even over 300) last night from co-oping 30-odd times. I mean, it's just nuts how quickly you can get souls from co-op.

No kidding. Every single co-op session yielded at least 10k with few exceptions. Suppose it depends on the area though. Do those "more souls from enemy" rings stack?

Hixx

No kidding. Every single co-op session yielded at least 10k with few exceptions. Suppose it depends on the area though. Do those "more souls from enemy" rings stack?

Rings don't stack with upgraded versions but if you have an item that gives bonus souls it will stack with the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom