• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atruvius

Steam says I've played 9 hours, I think I've killed 6 bosses the Lost Sinner being the latest to fall.

I think I like this more than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, though I haven't played DeS in a long time. I'm summoning a lot in this game, probably with all bosses I've had one or two people with me.

And I really like that there are environment that aren't so depressing looking dark and dingy like almost all areas in the previous games. Majula and Heide's Tower look so pretty. I hope DS3 would have more areas with bright colours and sunlight, or perhaps even dynamic day/night transitions with tougher enemies during the night.

Grief.exe

I feel like im flying through this game. Im 11-12 hours in and ive done Forest of fallen giants, no mans wharf, lost bastille, hunstmans copse, heides tower, and a few others i forget...and in DS1 it took me about 6 or 7 hours jsut to clear undead burg. Im enjoying DS2 alot, cause its more Dark Souls, but there really does seem like something is missing in this. Just cant quite put my finger on it

Well there isn't as much mystery and discovery involved as you are a souls veteran now.

You know what the game is looking for, you, roughly, know how enemies will react, it's not as mysterious as your first run through Dark Souls 1.

kanuuna

ijiw1GmXswkwg.png

ij1wZc1mbdw2N.png

More can be found at this comparison gallery. Top ones have ENB enabled. I took all of these at the game's default brightness setting without any SweetFX, and without GeDaSaTo.
I spent a bit of time tweaking the ENB. I'm not really sure the game's playable all the way through with this setup because of how dark it is in some areas (without a torch, anyway), but I thought it looked decent enough to share.

You can download it here. Let me know if it works and you dig it.

EDIT: I fixed the brightness a bit, things shouldn't be as dark. Download here, and replace the old file.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Door of
Pharros
what a horrible stage and boss. its like the dev just didn't even try
Just wait until you see the
rat lair
. So the
Sentinels are atrocious, and hurt. I had to try several times, and since beating the three badass chicks I've just thrown down my sign helping others. Too cramped, but really fun!

Tech-wise, running a 770 4GB and god damn its amazing with Durante's fix. Thank you so much for the enhancements dude, keep up the good work. Also, does this game have some weird DoF applied to the backdrops? They look atrocious and pixelated, as if the devs just decided to enlarge a .gif.

Just wait until you see the
rat lair
. So the
Sentinels are atrocious, and hurt. I had to try several times, and since beating the three badass chicks I've just thrown down my sign helping others. Too cramped, but really fun!

i actually been there first. at least the strategy for that boss is creative but design wise lol

early to mid game I rolled with
sunset staff and archdrake chime
with the intent of going for
licia
's chime later...I think the
dragon
staff is better for end game, bt havent got it with my hex character yet. Keep in mind that if you dont mind compromising a small spell power nerf in each domain the
witches
staff will do ALL spells hexes miracles AND pyro. sometimes its nice to roll it all up into one tight package.

brief intro to hexes and how to get started

Will definitely check out the
witches
when available. I don't like having to juggle through so much equipment that aligns with various spell types as you switch mid battle. For now the archdrake and sunset will do.

Arkanius

It's never a good idea to increase your level a lot if you want multiplayer interaction.

Thing is, apparently it's also based on Soul Memory so I kind of fucked up by doing lot's of Coop earlier on and being in the Rat Covenant (Did lots of PvP there and reached max rank)

Finally got the chance to try this game today, played for about an hour and I get the idea that DS2 is quite a bit harder than DS1. Getting my ass handed to me. No estus flask in sight, weapons keep breaking and I've lost about 10k souls cause I can't level up anywhere.

Taking a break, trying again tonight.

The_Monk

Does it makes sense to level up both Strength and Dex or should I focus only in one of them my good GAFfers? I ask because I can always find a weapon that requires more strength and then another who requires more Dex like Spears. Thanks in advance ;)

Vitor711

Yeah, I'm trying, but 99% of my deaths are caused by dual thrust combo, can't stand that with my current max hollow health.

Literally just keep side stepping around him. He will never hit you. Just stand right up next to him and hold your shield up just in case. None of his attacks will connect and you can hit him twice at the end of each of his combos. Easiest fight in the game once you do that.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Does it makes sense to level up both Strength and Dex or should I focus only in one of them my good GAFfers? I ask because I can always find a weapon that requires more strength and then another who requires more Dex like Spears. Thanks in advance ;)
I'd say, focus on one of both. A suprising amount of "heavy strength" weapons need some points in Dex, so when you find one of those whom you would like to try out, for example, put some points in Dexterity. And upgrade Endurance every other level. That's what i'm doing, anyway. :p

Upgraded a mace to +4. Great Scott, those things are awesome this time!

Grief.exe

Absolutely, could be north of 500,000 with this level of concurrent users. Would love to see Arstechnica update their Steam Guage chart to see how it shakes out.

I really hope Ars does a article as that would give us not only information on how well this release is doing, but give us precedent going forward where we can approximate how well a title is doing.

You generally want to focus on one or the other Monk.

Right now I'm doing a STR build, but need to pump a bit of dex to use some of the other weapons. I'm sitting at 26 STR/12 DEX right now.

Finally got the chance to try this game today, played for about an hour and I get the idea that DS2 is quite a bit harder than DS1. Getting my ass handed to me. No estus flask in sight, weapons keep breaking and I've lost about 10k souls cause I can't level up anywhere.

Taking a break, trying again tonight.

No Estus flask? Don't leave Majula without it ;)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd say, focus on one of both. A suprising amount of "heavy strength" weapons need some points in Dex, so when you find one of those whom you would like to try out, for example, put some points in Dexterity. And upgrade Endurance every other level. That's what i'm doing, anyway. :p

Quality build all day every day, nothing beats the variety.

Am I high or is it not possible to compare equipment stats like the last game?

I haven't played Dark Souls in ages but you can still compare stats to your equipped stuff, not sure how to do otherwise.

Can't remember precisely how it worked in the original, but it was also kind of vague.

The_Monk

You generally want to focus on one or the other Monk.

Right now I'm doing a STR build, but need to pump a bit of dex to use some of the other weapons. I'm sitting at 26 STR/12 DEX right now.

Thank you both!

I'm at:
STR 24
DEX 12

Perhaps I could add a bit of DEX, then. As for Endurance I'm at 27 since Stamina is something really important to me. Perhaps I should went Knight instead of Warrior. Or was it the other around, can't remember. I'm playing the one that have a shield from the start, it's the first class you can choose.

Yeah, I'm trying, but 99% of my deaths are caused by dual thrust combo, can't stand that with my current max hollow health.

There are a lot of people doing this boss, toss your
small white soapstone sign down in front of the door before going in yourself; help someone else defeat the boss. You will get some practice, and when it is over you will be restored to human, have full health, your gear will be repaired, and your estus restocked. Plus you get a Smooth and Silky stone to boot ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
a few questions:

-
how the hell do you get the item on the body on top of a tree in the scorpion lady lair?

-
the ladder dude is near the majula hole now, he has 3 costs for ladders, safe to assume I the more I pay the deeper the ladder goes? so I should just fork the 12k?

-
I read that the dude near the death counter in majula gives you a soul vessel after you get 4 vendors in majula, but he hasnt give me anything. I have the witch, the pyromancy lady, the lady that sells titanite, the ladder dude, who am I missing?

-
I take the soul vessel to the witches at the start of the game for a respec correct? I need to get rid of my 50 STR because this demon club is shit

-
did I miss anything in the n64 turok zone? I found a chest with a ring, and then eventually the poison area with the scropion lady, I cannot be arsed with that fog shit unless theres something important there

thats it for now, thanks for the help guys

HowZatOZ

Banned
Am I high or is it not possible to compare equipment stats like the last game?
It does compare equipment stats, just select say head piece for example and flick over each piece. Will show you various changes to stats etc.

Story spoilers!
Is the chick with the mask starting to turn undead? She just took off her mask and has black around one half of the face :S

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is there an alternative route to fighting the three guys at
bastion? They seem awfully hard even in coop.
they're not really hard if you don't fall down kill one, separate the kill them both. They're fairly easy to kill alone downstairs with a lot of space.

Is there an alternative route to fighting the three guys at bastion? They seem awfully hard even in coop.
They are skippable, but I wouldn't do it on a first playthrough - they're quite easy when you've done them once.

It may be that you've come to them a little early. There are
two ways to get to the Lost Bastille and if you come straight from Forest of Fallen Giants by way of the Pursuer fight, the 3 Sentinels will be a steap difficulty curve.
. I would explore the other routes from Majula first and then come back.

a few questions:

-
how the hell do you get the item on the body on top of a tree in the scorpion lady lair?

Boss has to knock it down, if you missed it you are out of luck. However, it's nothing too important, just some Flame Butterflies.

-
the ladder dude is near the majula hole now, he has 3 costs for ladders, safe to assume I the more I pay the deeper the ladder goes? so I should just fork the 12k?

You will want 3K for sure and 12K ladder

I read that the dude near the death counter in majula gives you a soul vessel after you get 4 vendors in majula, but he hasnt give me anything. I have the witch, the pyromancy lady, the lady that sells titanite, the ladder dude, who am I missing?

Did you exhaust his dialogue? Also, I think the level requirements also require a certain number of invasions, NPC invasions count, but I could be wrong.

-
I take the soul vessel to the witches at the start of the game for a respec correct? I need to get rid of my 50 STR because this demon club is shit

-
did I miss anything in the n64 turok zone? I found a chest with a ring, and then eventually the poison area with the scropion lady, I cannot be arsed with that fog shit unless theres something important there

There are a couple of rings and a vendor that is very useful. Vendor is well hidden.

a few questions:

-

-

-

-

-

thats it for now, thanks for the help guys

-
You have to make her knock it down when she comes back up from her digging. It's nothing special, just a few flame butterflies iirc.

-
You can set up all 3 ladders. The more expensive the longer the ladder. They're basically 3 different stops.

-
I don't know if you need 4 vendors or all of them but I think you're missing the sorcery teacher from No-Man's Wharf.

-
Yes, just talk to the one nearest to the door.

-
There are 3 chests with rings in that area. Old Sun, Blue Clearstone and Cloranthy +1.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thank you both!

I'm at:
STR 24
DEX 12

Perhaps I could add a bit of DEX, then. As for Endurance I'm at 27 since Stamina is something really important to me. Perhaps I should went Knight instead of Warrior. Or was it the other around, can't remember. I'm playing the one that have a shield from the start, it's the first class you can choose.

That's a warrior, knight has no shield. But they're basically interchangeable in comparison to DS 1 since the knight doesn't start with a phat roll.

Varna

I started laughing when I got to the
Gutter
. I know what area people will endlessly bitch about now! It seemed quiet short unfortunately... that next area seems like it will be fun too.

I have a question. Early in that
forest area you come to a gate with an NPC setting nearly that closes once you walk in.
Unfortunately I had to retreat since I was holding on to a lot of souls. Any way to get back in there?

Blah.

Still having trouble with gamepad and getting jump attacks/guard breaks to trigger. If I swap my controls to use dpad for movement, I can hit up/rt no problem to trigger the jump attack. As soon as I swap controls to analog, ls/rt it will trigger maybe 1/10 times.

Frustrating.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thanks guys! so wait, if I pay the 12k for the longer ladder, I still need to pay for the shorter ones also for different spots?

I started laughing when I got to the
Gutter
. I know what area people will endlessly bitch about now! It seemed quiet short unfortunately... that next area seems like it will be fun too.

I agree, some folks have complained about the Gutter, but I thought it was a fun stroll. Fairly low stress area that looks amazing with the torch and only a couple of enemies worth worrying about.

Gregorn

I've been using this ugly leather shield for so long now, can someone tell me where I can get something cooler looking? I've got a lot of areas unlocked and keep seeing people with other shields, so I must have missed some.

Thrakier

They are skippable, but I wouldn't do it on a first playthrough - they're quite easy when you've done them once.

It may be that you've come to them a little early. There are
two ways to get to the Lost Bastille and if you come straight from Forest of Fallen Giants by way of the Pursuer fight, the 3 Sentinels will be a steap difficulty curve.
. I would explore the other routes from Majula first and then come back.

Yeah, I came from there. Which other routes?

I've been using this ugly leather shield for so long now, can someone tell me where I can get something cooler looking? I've got a lot of areas unlocked and keep seeing people with other shields, so I must have missed some.

Try jumping down
where the floor is broken after the pursuer area. There's a nice shield and then some.

Did you beat the
Pursuer in Forest of Giants (the second time, the fight with the Ballistas not the first "surprise" fight). If so, go through the small door at the other end of his room, behind him. This leads to the nest that takes you to the Bastille. Don't go in the nest, instead look for the big chasm in the floor and fall down it, you will find a corpse with the Dranliec shield (and armour and sword), but the shield is 100% block and pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom