• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Without downsampling at native 1080p I can rock the game even with boket on my 660TI, everything max with max SMAA. Sure, a tiny bit more jaggies than downsampled but boket and rockstable 60FPS makes it worth.

Nice, don't downsample at uber high res so I still keep the milky smooth 60 fps :)! But yeah game now looks great with all the bells and whistles!

Vitor711

Just got to the
gargoyles

And really? REALLY?!
6 of them!?
I beat the
3 statue fight
in
Lost Bastille
earlier and did not enjoy the practical necessity of co-op. The increased emphasis on simultaneous bosses is not fun. I dislike having to use the online as a crutch as the bosses don't seem to be designed for it outside of the multiple-at-one-time ones.

playXray

As much as I'm really enjoying DS2, my graphics driver crashes after about 60 minutes of play. If I restart it crashes again after just a few minutes. If I leave it for 20 minutes then come back I get another 60 minutes or so. Sounds like gpu failure to me, but I just ran a stress test for 4 hours and the GPU remained stable and never went above 70 degrees.

Anyone else get any issues like this? I'm aware of the startup issue but that doesn't seen to be related to this.

GAF I need help. I have been trying to kill the Executioner's Chariot for almost a day now. I ran out of human effigies long ago and I need to know where I can get more, because getting summoned and passing the area takes too long.

EDIT: Two more things
Also, where can I get a powerful, fast sword?

Why do my weapons degrade so fast?

eot

Banned
Just got to the
gargoyles

And really? REALLY?!
6 of them!?
I beat the
3 statue fight
in
Lost Bastille
earlier and did not enjoy the practical necessity of co-op. The increased emphasis on simultaneous bosses is not fun. I dislike having to use the online as a crutch as the bosses don't seem to be designed for it outside of the multiple-at-one-time ones.

I don't think either of those bosses are as hard as they initially seem and for me they've been more memorable than the 1vs1 bosses (which have not been particularly interesting for the most part, so far anyway).
For the Gargoyles you can keep their count at 2-3 by making sure you only damage them one at a time, as the other ones spawn based on the global healthbar.

Just got to the
gargoyles

And really? REALLY?!
6 of them!?
I beat the
3 statue fight
in
Lost Bastille
I think they just keep spawning until you their health bar is empty, up to a maximum of three at a time. I hate those kinds of boss battles really. Speaking of which, I just summoned for the first time against the
Duke's Spider Freja
, I'm kind of ashamed about it but
realizing that the small spiders kept respawning plus the annoying run to reach the boss room
just made me lose my cool. Lore question:
is she one of the great ones, whatever they might be? I'd guess so since a primal bonfire (whatever that is) is located just after her, but her soul doesn't have a special icon like the Lost Sinner's in the inventory.

Also, why are people complaining about the
Royal Rat Authority (looked more like a dog to me though)
? It seemed like a pretty standard boss battle to me. It basically just had two main attacks and they were both easily readable.

Zafir

So basically I just killed the
Sentry
boss in N
o-man's
W
harf
, and after it there was a room, with a contraption to move the
ship
and I think I saw a chest. If there was a chest, was there anything important in it, because I stupidly touched the contraption first?

Vitor711

I don't think either of those bosses are as hard as they initially seem and for me they've been more memorable than the 1vs1 bosses (which have not been particularly memorable for the most part, so far anyway).
For the Gargoyles you can keep their count at 2-3 by making sure you only damage them one at a time, as the other ones spawn based on the global healthbar.

Good to know but I still think that fighting
3 at a time
without help is cheesy. You're right that the 1 v 1 bosses haven't been overly memorable so far but still, I feel more satisifed when I beat them as I didn't likely rely on cheap tactics. Beating
The Pursuer
without using the environment was super cool.

GAF I need help. I have been trying to kill the Executioner's Chariot for almost a day now. I ran out of human effigies long ago and I need to know where I can get more, because getting summoned and passing the area takes too long.

If you need become human, drop your sign to summon from Small Soapstone and it returns you as human if you are successful.

Facism

So basically I just killed the
Sentry
boss in N
o-man's
W
harf
, and after it there was a room, with a contraption to move the
ship
and I think I saw a chest. If there was a chest, was there anything important in it, because I stupidly touched the contraption first?

Pyromancy flame

Maybesew

Skip him and come back later? Or don't. Totally optional boss.

wrongway

So how does armor work in these games/this game? Do all your pieces just add their stats to a pool like most RPGs, or does each slot actually cover a distinct hitbox? ie, if I go without a helm, will I get wrecked if something hits me in the face?

^ No it's just the overall stat - you won't take extra damage to the mug if you don't wear a cute lil' hat :)

Pyromancy flame
@Zafir - I believe (never done it myself) you can get back on the ship through NMW by
ringing the bell again
, there's no way back from Lost Bastille.

Mhm, it shouldn't be that hard, have you realized that you can
destroy the chariot before engaging it
, right?

xBladeM6x

Haha that must suck

That is very nice. Amazing the difference ENB makes

There's only one problem with the ENB, and it's that in a lot of places it leaves a ghosting effect on the screen of objects. It's like what would happen if you left a Plasma TV on a logo too long.

Mhm, it shouldn't be that hard, have you realized that you can
destroy the chariot before engaging it
, right?

I get to the horse itself and then the spell thing it has kills me almost instantly.
Powerful depends on your build and the scaling of the weapon. Need to know what you're focussing on.
I don't really have a focus. I am a Cleric. I could screenshot my stats if you guys have any ideas.

Arjen

^ No it's just the overall stat - you won't take extra damage to the mug if you don't wear a cute lil' hat :)

@Zafir - I believe (never done it myself) you can get back on the ship through NMW by
ringing the bell again
, there's no way back from Lost Bastille.

This is correct, did it myself. Just ring the bell again.

So I just summoned a helper for a boss I hadn't faced yet. The bosses were dead before I could even see their names. The person I summoned just went straight SEPHIROTH mode. Wow.

Also, my weapons degrade really fast! I'm using a +7 Broadsword right now, and it degrades pretty much between Bonfires. Any advice? I'm a sword/melee kind of guy, but I don't like greatswords...
Yeah this is putting me off summoning people. I'm basically watching a cut scene in my own game. I'd come back later but I really don't know anywhere else to go... worst of all I have to waste souls for the privilege of doing this.

I get to the horse itself and then the
spell thing
it has kills me almost instantly.
In that case you can just skip it and come back later, he's totally optional.

As for a powerful, decently fast sword that's served me well in the early game, after upgrading it, I suggest the Bastard Sword. You can get it after
one of those doors that you can unlock with the Soldier Key in the Forest of Fallen Giants, after climbing down the ladder from the bonfire
. I only recently switched from that to a Mastodon Greatsword (+10), which is basically its more powerful, far heavier version.

Of course it depends on your stat, I'm focusing of strength personally, but the Bastard Sword scales with both str and dex.

In that case you can just skip it and come back later, he's totally optional.

As for a powerful, decently fast sword that's served me well in the early game, after upgrading it, I suggest the Bastard Sword. You can get it after
one of those doors that you can unlock with the Soldier Key in the Forest of Fallen Giants, after climbing down the ladder from the bonfire
. I only recently switched from that to a Mastodon Greatsword (+10), which is basically its more powerful, far heavier version.

I will just skip it for now then. I'll see if I picked that sword up as well.

Oh and another question (Sinner's Rise spoilers)
What was the purpose of the eternal flame?

burgerdog

My estus flasks are only at +2 potency and the only area I have access to at the moment is huntsman's. I've explored the previous zones a few times already so it's possible I may have missed dust in them. What were you guys at after clearing Bastille and all other areas leading up to it?

SalomonA

So I've been playing for about ~6 hrs now and, wow, what a game. Just, wow.
Anyways, right from the beginning I noticed some pretty annoying screen tearing. But there doesn't seem to be any VSync option? So what do I do?
(I'm playing on a 1680 x 1050 monitor)

Has anyone been able to mod out the Cloranthy ring effect around the character yet? I didn't like it in Dark Souls either, and it's even more pronounced this time around.

Defuser

My gawd, Smelter demon is kicking my ass even with help. Then I decided to get to get the Great Gyrm shield for the 100%fire resitance, then on my way I kill ManScorpian Tark by accident :(

Why are all these enemies hitting like trucks. I don't recall it was ever like that in Dark Souls 1.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So is it just me, or does putting a message in front of an illusory wall now make it impossible to open? I mean, since you press A to open them instead of hitting them now

9)
You need to kill the boss with Lucatile to furhter her quest, but she is terrible at staying alive on the way to the ship. If you find her summon, kill everything else and then run back and summon her to go to the boss.
Well... Dammit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
My gawd, Smelter demon is kicking my ass even with help. Then I decided to get to get the Great Gyrm shield for the 100%fire resitance, then on my way I kill ManScorpian Tark by accident :(

Why are all these enemies hitting like trucks. I don't recall it was ever like that in Dark Souls 1.

Small orange burr, lightning weapon, stay mobile!
I pulled it off with only the Tower Shield.

mileS

Dumb question. I'm still early on and i'm seeing lots of summon signs. What happens if I summon someone to my game and they decide to attack an npc? Also wondering, I summoned one guy to my game, we went to kill the Heide Knight and it said his task was complete or something, and he left the game. How does that work exactly? did he basically just use an item to leave game when he wanted to?

Thanks in advance

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So is it just me, or does putting a message in front of an illusory wall now make it impossible to open? I mean, since you press A to open them instead of hitting them now

Wait, you have to hit A to open them?

WE NEED TO GO BACK.

Dumb question. I'm still early on and i'm seeing lots of summon signs. What happens if I summon someone to my game and they decide to attack an npc? Also wondering, I summoned one guy to my game, we went to kill the Heide Knight and it said his task was complete or something, and he left the game. How does that work exactly? did he basically just use an item to leave game when he wanted to?

Thanks in advance

From fixed that issue. They can't attack NPC'S since a summon only sees them as ghostly outlines now.

There are 2 summon types. The small and large stone. Small is short duration so that's probably why he left. Large soapstone sticks around until a boss. They may have used an item to leave called black separation crystal that you get from the start.

ugoo18

Has anyone experienced a crash when trying to travel from the bonfire in
the Forest of Fallen Giant to the one in Manjula
?

2AdEPT

I thought I heard adaptability was a crap stat like resistance in DS1. Is that not true?

Not true: check out my and tell me I wasnt moving quicker with 17 ADP rather than the 12 I started with. (yes I realize that vitality affects this as well but it affects the length of rolls not as much the speed.)

Whatever I did with my equip load and AGL stats, the maneuverability, i-frames etc. and estus chug ALL contributed to my first real victory in the game and I refuse to be a slug in any subsequent playthroughs! ;) Even as a strength weapon character!

Zeliard

Has anyone been able to mod out the Cloranthy ring effect around the character yet? I didn't like it in Dark Souls either, and it's even more pronounced this time around.

Not sure about that.

But on the topic of the Cloranthy ring, I'm still sad that it's been nerfed into the ground. It was probably my favorite Dark Souls 1 ring, and now even the Cloranthy Ring+2 is a mere shadow of its former self.

mileS

From fixed that issue. They can't attack NPC'S since a summon only sees them as ghostly outlines now.

There are 2 summon types. The small and large stone. Small is short duration so that's probably why he left. Large soapstone sticks around until a boss. They may have used an item to leave called black separation crystal that you get from the start.

Excellent. That explains it. Thank you!

While I'm here. How common are the items that let you reset your skill points? I don't plan on using a lot but I'm trying to plan out my build and at a certain level I'd like to fine tune it better and reset everything.

Excellent. That explains it. Thank you!

While I'm here. How common are the items that let you reset your skill points? I don't plan on using a lot but I'm trying to plan out my build and at a certain level I'd like to fine tune it better and reset everything.

There are around seven you can find in one playthrough.

Zafir

That was close... Knocked the stone down the well, the mummies came up and I killed them before they climbed down meaning the loot was on the cage. Managed to run and jump at it to loo the armour, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom