• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

Put some 40hrs in over the weekend. Felt good to be such a bum.

While it took a bit longer to get going, I'm enjoying this much more than Dark Souls 1. Not sure where it ranks next to Demon's, yet.

Also, the Belfry areas are fucking rad. The bosses are fun, the run from bonfire to boss door is short and easy, so even if you get invaded a bunch of times it's no big deal, and speaking of which, the ready speed of invasions is fantastic. Lag aside (those times you swing, light the dude on fire/lightning only for his health bar to not move...), I enjoyed them so much. I even came around to being summoned every other minute in the horrible rat area, and came to enjoy that.

Defeated (huge Diablo-esque boss)
Old Iron King
last night, after dying twice when he was on his last sliver of health (though I actually died more times (3) to the stupid fucking armoured turtle soldier on the way to him...), getting over excited going for one last swing, only to end up in the lava. Fantastic boss, and an area I really enjoyed making my way around. Coop in that area is intense, also. As someone with zero ranged abilities, I'm a little jealous of all the lightning spear throwing dudes out there!

eot

Banned
Come back when you've arrived at The Gutter.

I went through there tonight and having to use the torch was a lot of fun. Not having a shield wasn't as bad as in say Tomb of the Giants. It looks damn nice when you're walking around with the thing too.

I've never played a Dark Souls game (well, played about an hour of Dark Souls when getting it during a Steam Sale)

I started a Sorcerer in DK2 because I like Magic but having a very hard time with even some of the starting enemies (big knight dudes)

What is a good class, starting item, etc... for a newbie?

Try going a different direction.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wandering around as a human for the first time. Pretty sweet, have 2 phantoms with me. Open a chest without reading the message in front of it LIKE I SHOULD HAVE. Trapped chest bodies me. Ok, I can get back there. Go down ladder to kill simple 2 enemies and my computer alt tabs for no reason. Death becomes me, all souls lost. EXIT GAME.

Booshka

Here's the problem the game is based off Soul Memory instead of SL so in the end it doesn't matter. Just make it NG and not + and I think it would ok. I defer to someone with better experience though.

For a fight club, SL definitely matters. Fair fights with constrained builds is the way to have competitive PvP in Souls games. Regardless of the SM, people can keep their levels constrained and then just hope they are in the right SM bracket. On NG+ it gets pretty lenient, you can be within several million SM and still connect most of the time.

NG fight clubs are viable though, and you have less of a chance of getting randomly invaded by Blues or other Reds. The name engraved ring also makes it so that everyone that wants to partake in the fight club can choose a specific God to only match with those other players, so it's very convenient.

2AdEPT

I've never played a Dark Souls game (well, played about an hour of Dark Souls when getting it during a Steam Sale)

I started a Sorcerer in DK2 because I like Magic but having a very hard time with even some of the starting enemies (big knight dudes)

What is a good class, starting item, etc... for a newbie?

Starting class with lots of items and best maneuverabilty from square one is explorer...but you will need a good weapon either way (find in forest of fallen giants). Sorcerer is ok, just make sure to get the noob stuff like the ring of binding. You should be mobile enough to run by those big knights to get the ring which is behind a draw bridge off to your left...you may have to kill at least the knight there though in order to release the draw bridge.

Will some of the areas get better?

I beat the first area, the woods, but graphically and from a design perspective it was totally boring. I still remember how great the areas in DS1 felt. They really felt "special" and greatly crafted.

After the woods I went to some castle too and it really looked so generic. Then I went to Heides Tower and while the beginning of the area really looked cool, as soon as you entered the tower, it felt totally generic again.

Though I have to say the Harbor/Ship area was kinda cool.

Are there more memorable places in the Game? I also think some areas look great graphically, while others look like they were developed by a totally different team. In some areas my character doesnt even have a shadow, while in others the lighting seems perfectly fine.

Booshka

I beat the first area, the woods, but graphically and from a design perspective it was totally boring. I still remember how great the areas in DS1 felt. They really felt "special" and greatly crafted.

After the woods I went to some castle too and it really looked so generic. Then I went to Heides Tower and while the beginning of the area really looked cool, as soon as you entered the tower, it felt totally generic again.

Are there more memorable places in the Game? I also think some areas look great graphically, while others look like they were developed by a totally different team. In some areas my character doesnt even have a shadow, while in others the lighting seems perfectly fine.

The quality is all over the place in this game, definitely quantity was the priority. There are some very beautiful and memorable areas, but most of those are later on in the game. It's pretty spotty overall, doesn't have the consistent quality of Demon's, and unlike Dark Souls 1, the early game is less impressive than the latter half of the game, imo of course.

Heide's Tower
is definitely the high mark of the game from what I've seen, but the
Iron Keep
is neat as well. The visual design is very, very inconsistent.

HoosTrax

I haven't messed around with "attunements" or "miracles" or those scrolls things in my inventory at all (I never did in DS1 either).

Is there a point if I'm playing a melee character? Are there any general purpose ones that don't require faith/int that are recommended? I'm already at either 20 or 40 on my primary stats, so I'm looking at other stats to invest some points in.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's like I'm really in 6th grade again!

14039868902_7d8291021c_c.jpg

This is great!

Booshka

^ I saw that exact same message in my game the other day, it was at 9 ratings when I saw it. Of course I rated it up.
I haven't messed around with "attunements" or "miracles" or those scrolls things in my inventory at all (I never did in DS1 either).

Is there a point if I'm playing a melee character? Are there any general purpose ones that don't require faith/int that are recommended? I'm already at either 20 or 40 on my primary stats, so I'm looking at other stats to invest some points in.

Weapon and Player buffs are very good for melee builds with low cast speed, those type of spells don't really rely on being casted quickly, so you can use a ring to get ATT slots instead of throwing points at ATT. Spices can bring down a spell to a much lower requirement too, and most of the weapon and player buffs are flat increases that dont scale at all. So spice down the spells you want, use a ring to get some ATT slots, then you have a pretty good spellsword with low stat investment.

Much easier suggestion is to just use Pyro, you only need ATT slots for it, although with slow casting speed, a lot of them won't do a whole lot of good.

So do you guys keep an upgraded backup weapon? I find my + 7 bastard sword (primary weapon) to be at risk rather quickly and use a +5 heide sword just in case.

HoosTrax

^ I saw that exact same message in my game the other day, it was at 9 ratings when I saw it. Of course I rated it up.

Weapon and Player buffs are very good for melee builds with low cast speed, those type of spells don't really rely on being casted quickly, so you can use a ring to get ATT slots instead of throwing points at ATT. Spices can bring down a spell to a much lower requirement too, and most of the weapon and player buffs are flat increases that dont scale at all. So spice down the spells you want, use a ring to get some ATT slots, then you have a pretty good spellsword with low stat investment.

Much easier suggestion is to just use Pyro, you only need ATT slots for it, although with slow casting speed, a lot of them won't do a whole lot of good.
Thanks for the tips, very helpful (been wondering what all that spice I've been collecting was good for).

Forcing torches would make large sections of the game a royal pain in the ass for characters that rely on shields. I'm glad they ditched it.

Even if they kept the darkness level as is, lighting a lot of the empty sconces would improve the visual appeal of the game immensely.

Booshka

I should be able to put Charcoal Resin on my Great Club and have that function as a Torch. That way I can run around like a maniac with a Giant Burning Tree Branch smashing fools upside the head.

Gbraga

If I give Rosabeth more equipment, will she change her clothes? I really liked that. From delivered with the girls this time. Can't wait to reach social link lvl 10 with the Emerald Herald so we can hug.

Heide's Tower
is definitely the high mark of the game from what I've seen, but the
Iron Keep
is neat as well. The visual design is very, very inconsistent.

I agree about the inconsistency and there are definitely some head scratchers in your future, but just you wait, you will be blown away by a number of area's to come.

If I give Rosabeth more equipment, will she change her clothes? I really liked that. From delivered with the girls this time. Can't wait to reach social link lvl 10 with the Emerald Herald so we can hug.

I've heard conflicting reports about it. Some say she wears whatever was just given to her, others say it can be random from the stuff given in the past. Best to pick out something ahead of time and give it all at once.

Zafir

Was expecting to get some awful players when I was helping out on
Chariot
after what everyone was saying. Was pleasantly surprised that everyone seemed to know what they were doing. Only had one failed run. Maybe it's because it's the early hours of the morning, lol.

The one thing that still trips me up is the fact that I can't queue actions like I could in Dark Souls 1. Sometimes I'm just standing there and waiting for my character to use Estus and I realize nothing is happening.

I summoned Grave Warden Agdayne for the
Velstatd
fight. Unfortunately, he died during the fight. He's no longer at his normal spot as a vendor. Dafuq?

Got a good 1H recommendation for the
ruined sentinels? I've been 2H Demons Great Hammer up to this point and used it on all the other bosses, but a shield seems like a must for this one. Is it worthwhile to level up the craftsman hammer I got from the Lost Bastille smith? I'm thinking a strike weapon would be best, I tried to 1H a greatsword but it's damage was unimpressive against them (it isn't buffed at all though, it just looked like the "best" weapon I could 1H).

Gbraga

tumblr_n4ecb8znzb1rctu9po1_500.jpg

Weapon durability is the absolute worst thing

Really? I honestly really really like it. Having to manage durability (using rings, making repair powder more useful...) adds a very fun spin to it, and totally justifies repairing being automatic at bonfires. It also incentives variety to the same character (along with the 3 weapons slots and items that are a lot more useful).

I only bought Homeward Bones in the first game, but now I'm always buying knives and shit becauase they're really good. Always have my bow equipped too.

This was one of the things I thought they really got completely right.

Zafir

ruined sentinels? I've been 2H Demons Great Hammer up to this point and used it on all the other bosses, but a shield seems like a must for this one. Is it worthwhile to level up the craftsman hammer I got from the Lost Bastille smith? I'm thinking a strike weapon would be best, I tried to 1H a greatsword but it's damage was unimpressive against them (it isn't buffed at all though, it just looked like the "best" weapon I could 1H).

From what I remember magic does more damage, so using a magic imbued 1h weapon should probably help you.
Really? I honestly really really like it. Having to manage durability (using rings, making repair powder more useful...) adds a very fun spin to it, and totally justifies repairing being automatic at bonfires. It also incentives variety to the same character (along with the 3 weapons slots and items that are a lot more useful).

I only bought Homeward Bones in the first game, but now I'm always buying knives and shit becauase they're really good. Always have my bow equipped too.

This was one of the things I thought they really got completely right.
Depends on where you are, though. I remember the
wharf
was pretty bad for durability when I went through the first time, because there's no bonfires, and you don't really want to go back to the previous one because then you have to kill everyone again. :X

The standard Mace from the Blacksmith in Majula is good since you're looking to just use it for one fight. Upgrade it a bit and should work well. I would still sneak in some 2H attacks when the opportunity arises though. Apply some resin or do a weapon buff too.

Booshka

Just keep using the Demon's Great Hammer 2 handed, I think 3 hits will stagger, so try the R2 then R2 follow up combo with the spin to win. It should really melt down their health. Especially with a Resin buff. Just allow yourself stamina to roll away from their attacks, try to roll behind them though and set yourself up for more hits. It's better to stay close to one than afar.

Gorillaz

Dragon Aerie and shrine
are probably the most beautiful parts of the game. Which is why they showed that level off the most over all this time.

Garcia

Are there any missable items once you're done with NG? I'm moving to NG+ and would like to know if there's anything that won't be available once I make the transition.

Still can't beat the
Ancient Dragon
... He's too overpowered, lol!

Are there any missable items once you're done with NG? I'm moving to NG+ and would like to know if there's anything that won't be available once I make the transition.

Still can't beat the
Ancient Dragon
... He's too fucking overpowered, lol!

Well, some chests change what they have, but in terms of things needed for Achievements, I don't think so.

I got invaded at the first bell and no matter how many back stabs or parrys the guy wouldn't die. I was even able to summon someone but he just wouldn't die. He ended up quitting. I'm just annoyed. How do you view recent players met on steam? Is there an option? I want to report him.

mothball

Whoever designed these toxic rats...
madnlro5.gif

fake edit: oh god the game sound changed while I was typing this and when I tabbed back in I was being summoned. The rat covenant fun starts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom