• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Leveling Sunbros at
Throne Defender & Throne Watcher and Nashandra
seems like a bad idea because a lot of people keep
getting both fights consecutively
and most of them die instantly at
Nashandra
. But so many souls... :)

eot

Banned
Is it just me or is the SFX fucked up in this game? I noticed that the jingle jangle of the royal swordsman enemies always sounds like it's coming from behind you no matter how you position your camera.

Its hard to tell where enemies are coming from.

Sometimes enemeis right in front of me sound like they're behind me, yes. Very confusing.

Feindflug

Leveling Sunbros at
Nashandra

Freja
is a great boss to boost your rank quickly, the downside is that you don't get as many souls in there but the demand is pretty high.

la_briola

Freja
is a great boss to boost your rank quickly, the downside is that you don't get as many souls in there but the demand is pretty high.

Pinwheel 2.0 is the best fight for leveling sunbros. The bonfire is like 10s away and the fight lasts about 20-30s.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Freja

Maybe I'll try that, but I'm already at 2.6M soul memory, so it may be hard to actually get summoned since it's an earlier boss I guess?

Feindflug

Pinwheel 2.0 is the best fight for leveling sunbros. The bonfire is like 10s away and the fight lasts about 20-30s.

Haven't tried to put down my sign in there since I thought that the fight was too easy and people wouldn't search for help...I'll give it a try later today though. :)

Maybe I'll try that, but I'm already at 2.6M soul memory, so it may be hard to actually get summoned since it's an earlier boss I guess?

Give it a try and see, in NG+ it's definitely one of the better spots for co-op so keep that in mind if you are planning to do a second playthrough.

Grief.exe

Leveling Sunbros at
Nashandra

Freja

Best fight for leveling sun bros is the group of priests in Brightstone Cove. Easiest and quickest boss in the game.

Haven't tried to put down my sign in there since I thought that the fight was too easy and people wouldn't search for help...I'll give it a try later today though. :)

I put my sign down on every single boss at least twice to learn the fight before attemptimg myself.

Every single time I was summoned into a world with another phantom and the host. Even the easiest bosses in the game were just a zerg fest.

ugoo18

Finally killed the
Ancient Dragon

Good grief that's a terrible boss,
so much freaking health and every move it did OHKOd me (Moving it's foot slightly killed me more times than not).

It took 5 Soul Vortexes, 8 Soul Geysers, 10 Soul Spears and the Vengarl summon dying before the damm rat with wings died itself and even then i had to use Gower's Ring of Protection just to not instadie to it's Rain of Fire and as well as 3 repair spells to keep it from breaking.....

Fuck that dragon and it's ridiculous health, never again.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Does anyone know how to stop my other windows audio from lowering when phantoms are summoned? I cant seem to figure it out.

Maybesew

Best fight for leveling sun bros is the group of priests in Brightstone Cove. Easiest and quickest boss in the game.

I put my sign down on every single boss at least twice to learn the fight before attemptimg myself.

The Drangleic castle dragonriders were my fastest way. Instant summons, quick fights, 100% success

Zemm

So far no level reaches the highs of the previous game but no levels also reach the lows. There's really no standout levels so far, just as you think you're getting into an elaborate one (Drangelic Castle for instance) it's finished. It feels like a game designed for short bursts on a portable console.

Thrakier

Does it make sense to add pyromancy to a melee char? So far I out only points in melee skills bar Dex and str. What should I do?

Zemm

I've also one shot the past 5 bosses and he only boss to take more than 3 tries was Smelter. This game is miles easier than Demon's and Dark 1.

So far no level reaches the highs of the previous game but no levels also reach the lows. There's really no standout levels so far, just as you think you're getting into an elaborate one (Drangelic Castle for instance) it's finished. It feels like a game designed for short bursts on a portable console.
Agreed.

Uthred

too many bonfires kill any sense of threat and danger (which also speaks of a lack of vision)

Different vision != lack of vision, it seems pretty clear that bonfires serve a different design purpose here than in Dark Souls

(is there even a way to get back to Majula from the well beyond warping or using the primal fire?

Does it matter if there isnt? Warping is an intrinsic mechanic of the game and several of the levels were clearly designed around this fact. Nothing says anyone has to like it but expecting the game not to make use of it is bizarre.

Variety is good, but I'm craving for the big, interconnected levels of Dark Souls.

Just hang out in the Lost Bastille all the time ;) I'd missed how interconnected that place was my first time through

Gbraga

Drangleic Castle seemed to be HUGE and I thought there would be tons of backtracking there, but when I actually went to backtrack I found out I just got lucky and went to the right places, haha.

I don't mind the consistency though, even if it's consistently worse than the highs of the first game. It'll be good for replays. Just the fact that you'll never have to think "sigh, Lost Izalith now" will help a lot.

Where is your avatar from?

Forkball

Summoning and invading is finally working after being down for most of the day.

For a while, I had no bell invasions, but then I started to get them like crazy. It seems very sporadic though. You might get three in a row, then none for a lengthy period of time. I also did my first invasion as a red phantom. I hit up Iron Keep, and there was a guy there waiting for me. Complete heavy with Smelter Demon's armor and great sword. I managed to get a good backstab on him and got my first invasion victory. Finally I joined the Brotherhood of Blood and dueled, which is awesome. I invaded two more times. The first time was a close battle where we both killed ourselves, but apparently I got the credit (though I don't think I got any souls). The third time was 2v1 and I got crushed. I then tried to fiddle around with the Blue Sentinels. Blue Sentinel dueling is so lame since you actually have to spend your items and get nothing in return. I also tried to invade as a Blue, but I frequently got CAN'T FIND WORLD TO INVADE SORRY FRIEND messages. I did get two blue invasions: one in the Shaded Woods where the guy immediately died, and another in Forest of Fallen Giants that I won by myself. I kind of wish they would make the Blue Sentinels more rewarding. I read you need 500 victories for Targray's armor, what a ripoff!

Grief.exe

Summoning and invading is finally working after being down for most of the day.

For a while, I had no bell invasions, but then I started to get them like crazy. It seems very sporadic though. You might get three in a row, then none for a lengthy period of time. I also did my first invasion as a red phantom. I hit up Iron Keep, and there was a guy there waiting for me. Complete heavy with Smelter Demon's armor and great sword. I managed to get a good backstab on him and got my first invasion victory. Finally I joined the Brotherhood of Blood and dueled, which is awesome. I invaded two more times. The first time was a close battle where we both killed ourselves, but apparently I got the credit (though I don't think I got any souls). The third time was 2v1 and I got crushed. I then tried to fiddle around with the Blue Sentinels. Blue Sentinel dueling is so lame since you actually have to spend your items and get nothing in return. I also tried to invade as a Blue, but I frequently got CAN'T FIND WORLD TO INVADE SORRY FRIEND messages. I did get two blue invasions: one in the Shaded Woods where the guy immediately died, and another in Forest of Fallen Giants that I won by myself. I kind of wish they would make the Blue Sentinels more rewarding. I read you need 500 victories for Targray's armor, what a ripoff!

Apparently, in NG++ they just give you the items.

I was looking into starting a new game, since I went for a pure melee strength build my first time around (only later in the game completed with a decent bow, went for the dragonrider bow), I was considering a faith/dex character now. Is that viable at all? Dexterity scaling looked pretty terrible from my experience.

Mistel

Banned
I was looking into starting a new game, since I went for a pure melee strength build my first time around (only later in the game completed with a decent bow, went for the dragonrider bow), I was considering a faith/dex character now. Is that viable at all? Dexterity scaling looked pretty terrible from my experience.
Dex scaling is pretty bad your better of going strength/faith.

Uthred

Hybrid characters seem to fare pretty well in this game, Miracles are arguably the best spellset and as you can SL1 the game it should be more than viable. You probably only want to get Dex high enough to meet requirements and ideally you want a weapon with intrinsic lightning damage as it scales with Faith (I think the earliest one you can get is from
the first heide knight
)

I completed the Grave of Saints and ended up joining the rat covenant. I actually skipped the Doors of Pharros when I was going to Brightstone, so I thought there might be some benefits to being in the covenant when I go back there. Is that the case or was I mistaken?

Mogwai

Dex scaling is pretty bad your better of going strength/faith.
Is the scaling really the problem? As far as I can see, the Strike damage from many STR weapons is what makes it much more versatile. Slash is just so poor against armored enemies. But I haven't really done any in-depth testing myself.

deeTyrant

Played through the game on consoles as a pure Dex build and having just completed the game again on PC as a Str/Hex build I can say that Dex feels woefully underpowered in PVE. With some poison or bleed however Dex is pretty viable in PVP, or at least that's the impression I got from my very limited experience in PVP.

sprinkles

After beating the game yesterday I wanted to start a second playthrough as a caster. But then I remembered that I had Demon's Souls on my relatively new and completely unused PS3 lying around. So I started that instead. I enjoyed what I played so far, but oh my god, those console loading times..

krakov

Is the scaling really the problem? As far as I can see, the Strike damage from many STR weapons is makes it much more versatile. Slash is just so poor against armored enemies. But I haven't really done any in-depth testing myself.

The bonus you get from scaling is pitiful. It's pretty much 1-2 AR per level even with S/A. Combined with low base dmg and high defense armor rating some dex weapons do close to zero dmg in some cases.

As previously discussed there is almost no point to not go elemental and use a weapon buff.

Mistel

Banned
Is the scaling really the problem? As far as I can see, the Strike damage from many STR weapons is what makes it much more versatile. Slash is just so poor against armored enemies. But I haven't really done any in-depth testing myself.
Even with the slash weapons strength scaling is far better dex.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Woah, Lots of cheaters in PvP. Got summoned as a gray spirit when I was at the Doors of Pharros, and the guy was just standing on a ledge, tried to take him down with all the miracles I had but health wouldn't go down. Had to let a mob kill me to return to my world. Anyway I can find his account and report him to Steam?

Nabs

Woah, Lots of cheaters in PvP. Got summoned as a gray spirit when I was at the Doors of Pharros, and the guy was just standing on a ledge, tried to take him down with all the miracles I had but health wouldn't go down. Had to let a mob kill me to return to my world. Anyway I can find his account and report him to Steam?

Shift+Tab while in game and click on the Recent Players tab.

Dark Souls 2 why you gotta be like that
ds2_crash_invasion_by_realghostvids-d7h3hml.jpg

:(

Kamina

Golden Boy
I dont get why anyone would cheat and then go for PvP. Do they think people won't report them or what?
Cheating like that is just going to get them b&.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
played a bit more with my sorc earlier, got enough STR and dex to use one of the pre-order shields and also the flame sword you get in forrest of giants, feels much better now. Also got great soul spear or whatever its called, the better soul spear you find in the ballist room, so with 2 spells its feeling more like a sorc now. Ill probably respec out of the str and dex eventually when I have enough spells to just use... well, spells, but until then this is better

Also, as expected, im blitzing through forrest of giants since I remember most of the stuff

I'm at The Gutter now. Man, this place. Makes Blightown look easy. "Try torch ahead".

I think it may be the brightness of my monitor but I can't see jack shit here without the torch. It does look great do but I feel really naked without the big ass tower shield I was using...

And all that poison. Screw poison, jeez.

I reached a part where it said "Enter the mist from behind". Does this mean I did it wrong and took another path?

So what gesture does everyone use after winning in PvP. I've only done PvP through BellBros, but generally I go with the "No Way" gesture. Especially if they are running away or hiding.

I'm at The Gutter now. Man, this place. Makes Blightown look easy. "Try torch ahead".

I think it may be the brightness of my monitor but I can't see jack shit here without the torch. It does look great do but I feel really naked without the big ass tower shield I was using...

And all that poison. Screw poison, jeez.

I reached a part where it said "Enter the mist from behind". Does this mean I did it wrong and took another path?

If it makes you feel any better
there are hardly any enemies in The Gutter

Videospel

Finished the game the other day. The ending was... underwhelming. I didn't even realize I was fighting the last boss. Beat it without problems, got the ending scene and the credits started rolling. Disappointing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished the game the other day. The ending was... underwhelming. I didn't even realize I was fighting the last boss. Beat it without problems, got the ending scene and the credits started rolling. Disappointing.

harder than the first game's last boss at least >_> I guess last bosses arent From's strenght :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom