• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
After much moaning and gnashing of teeth, I bought Dark Souls 2 on the PC because I want From to make more PC title. I'm eating that crow.

I beat
the Ruin Sentinels
again. I think it's my favorite boss;
it could have easily seemed like lazy reuse, but the way it paces out the fight with one Sentinel in a cramped area before two more in an open arena makes it tense and dynamic. It also provides a challenge for projectile users, unlike most other bosses in Souls.

To be honest, I used to use Smough's armour. But ugly can be intimidating. In any case,
Looking Glass Knight's
armour is a bit less ugly, and has entirely competitive stats.
Ironically, Smough's armor is only in Dark Souls because Miyazaki thought it looked gorgeous.

Videospel

By the way, I'm annoyed by some of the little things in the game. For example, when you're buying weapons/armor from vendors, you only see their absolute attack/defense numbers, not their numbers relative to your equipped stats. If I'm contemplating buying a new sword, I want to know if it does more damage than my current one. I don't want to be forced to memorize my current stats, and then talk to the vendor and mentally comparing the different objects. Or have I missed something?

A similar thing is when you're infusing weapons. Pressing X/A to infuse presents you with a list of the different infusions, and you can see how these will affect your stats. But they only show the changes for the "current" status window. For example, if I'm on status window 2/3 and press infuse, I can see how the infusion of a weapon would affect my total attack. But to see how the detailed weapon stats with physical and elemental damage would change (status level 1/3), I have to go back one step, press triangle/Y, and then press infuse again. You can't switch between the different status windows while in the infusion menu. What kind of nonsense is that?

DJ_Lae

Anyone have tips for the
two giants at the bottom of black gulch
? I've gone pure melee, am currently using a zweihander and a greatshield, and there seems to be no practical way of fighting them due to range and how every attack goes right through the shield.

i love these shoulder guards so much <3 <3

3UWgtTI.jpg

I'm still using that armor myself, I like them too (the silly flared thigh guards less so but hey). I killed those captain guys until they stopped respawning, got a ton of the upper armor and helmets but I assume the gloves and legs are identical to the lesser enemies.

iKitRvJm8RLFF.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
#FashionSouls

Probably gonna roll with this forever. Love it. Using the Lion something bracelets, not the gloves from the second pic anymore.

Anyone have tips for the
? I've gone pure melee, am currently using a zweihander and a greatshield, and there seems to be no practical way of fighting them due to range and how every attack goes right through the shield.

There's a little cave in the back of the room. Perfect sniping spot.

Uthred

Just realised there's a way to bypass all those necromancers from the second bonfire in
Brightcove
, how I regret slogging through them from the third bonfire my last time through

je_ssi e

I decided to get a little more into the covenants this morning.
Maxed Sun Bro's in a few hours. I'm kind of confused on the bosses I was being summoned for. I tried to get picked up at what I'd consider harder ones, but in the end bounced back between two easy ones that seemed a lot more popular for some reason.

One thing that kind of surprised me is how many took in a summon (or two) on their first try with a boss. Half the fun with these games (in my opinion) is trying to kill these bosses that seem impossible. Learning their moves, etc. The sense of accomplishment after possibly many failures.. dat feeling. Ruin Sentinels first try solo! :p

After reading all the anguish about them it felt awesome walking out of that one. Like a baws.

Red Eye Ring Co-Op and they're cake! I dunno, mang.

Then I decided to try my hand at being a Rat Bro.
I've never really liked the PVP much in these games, but I had a little fun. Less so when I realized that most people weren't there to discover the area, but to kill me. I wasn't the roadblock like I thought I'd be.

GoS was pretty meh. I shouldn't have gotten the impression that all of the work was done for you. These guys knew the area. They were there for one thing. For me to be dead. And, dead I became. Aha. Not a good record there.

I guess I missed the rush when people were looking for the area boss.
DoP worked A LOT better. But, it's so damn cheap. I had to stop at rank one for now. I just can't!

I can't believe how many gross magic users I ran into. Blech! :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so whats the int number before you get diminishing returns, 30 or 40?

edit: also why do I have 31 soul spears now,, does INT raise the charges?

GoS was pretty meh. I shouldn't have gotten the impression that all of the work was done for you. These guys knew the area. They were there for one thing. For me to be dead. And, dead I became. Aha. Not a good record there.

I guess I missed the rush when people were looking for the area boss.
DoP worked A LOT better. But, it's so damn cheap. I had to stop at rank one for now. I just can't!
GoS is better done as early as possible imo. The people you lure in aren't overpowered and they are often just exploring, you can see the fear as they edge into the area and then run! XD

DoP is cheap as hell. I mean it's only as cheap as you make it, but the spawn point is bullshit - You have at least one rat, one mastadon, the host and possible a couple of Gyrms and another mastadon in the room - knee deep in water. It's unfair really, but great for clocking up a stack of lockstones :p

Facism

so i asked pages ago but nobody had any answers. Considering the base stats all have soft caps and whatnot, what about something like cast speed? Is there a point where more points in cast speed are essentially useless?

Facism

Also, i'm sitting at 52 INT/FAI. Do i really need that much lol.

You wouldn't think that i've completed this game 7 times.

Herla

Well, I finally managed to find a new weapon. Goodbye Mace, hello Sun Sword.
It's not as powerful and it's not going to be as useful against armor, but I pressed R2 and it was love at first sight.

Zafir

Bah think I waited too long to farm chunks in the bell covenant. Not getting summoned at 1M SM. xD

Guess I'll just have to get further so I can buy them.
Well, I finally managed to find a new weapon. Goodbye Mace, hello Sun Sword.
It's not as powerful and it's not going to be as useful against armor, but I pressed R2 and it was love at first sight.
Yeah, same, just swapped out the Mace for the Sun Sword myself.

I just find 2handers far too slow.

Blinck

Hey guys!

Coming back for another question:

So i've beat
the Duke's Spider, and it dropped a normal soul, but then there was another soul in the ground..a soul from an Old One I presume..but that didn't go into my inventory ? Anyway.. I've got that, the Fire Demonic Prince (or whatever the name is ) and the last sinner. I'm only missing one Big soul now, which I'm guessing it's in The Gutter or after it...
Taking that into consideration, how far am I to the end? When I get all the 4 large souls will I be at the very end game sort of like using the 4 souls to open the door the Kiln in DkS1 ?

finalflame

So..in NG+..do the red phantoms in
Iron Keep
keep re-spawning indefinitely? It was my experience, up until now, that the NG+ red phantoms didn't re spawn, but they always come back here.

finalflame

Hey guys!

Coming back for another question:

So i've beat
the Duke's Spider, and it dropped a normal soul, but then there was another soul in the ground..a soul from an Old One I presume..but that didn't go into my inventory ? Anyway.. I've got that, the Fire Demonic Prince (or whatever the name is ) and the last sinner. I'm only missing one Big soul now, which I'm guessing it's in The Gutter or after it...
Taking that into consideration, how far am I to the end? When I get all the 4 large souls will I be at the very end game sort of like using the 4 souls to open the door the Kiln in DkS1 ?

You're on the right track, keep going where you're thinking of going. You are about 40-45% though the game at this point.

Blinck

You're on the right track, keep going where you're thinking of going. You are about 40-45% though the game at this point.

Holy fucking shit...I'm like 40 hours in...am I being very slow or is the game that big? I'm not rushing or anything, but I'm also not dying that much..that's insane..
Thanks for the answer btw! :)

DukeBobby

he gave me some items
what about the candles ?
the is sign on the floor say try touch and boss

Did you get an achievement after talking to him? If so, that's all you need to do.

The candles appear after completing story events in the game. You've finished the game, so all of them are lit.

finalflame

Holy fucking shit...I'm like 40 hours in...am I being very slow or is the game that big? I'm not rushing or anything, but I'm also not dying that much..that's insane..
Thanks for the answer btw! :)

No problem! I beat the game at 39 hours, but I also have a lot of DkS1 experience, and I summoned for a lot of my boss fights. I also helped a lot of other people do boss fights, but overall I'd say I "rushed a bit, if inadvertently.

I'd say you're probably just pacing yourself differently from me. I'd say as far as content, you've only seen 40% at most of what the game has to offer. You might "breeze" through the second half a bit faster, but honestly I found the second half bosses to be pretty challenging (one in particular..).

L.O.R.D

Did you get an achievement after talking to him? If so, that's all you need to do.

The candles appear after completing story events in the game. You've finished the game, so all of them are lit.

yes, i got the achievement
then,NG+, here i come
the
rotten
boss is already an NG+ , so, he will be NG++?

I'm at The Gutter now. Man, this place. Makes Blightown look easy. "Try torch ahead".

I think it may be the brightness of my monitor but I can't see jack shit here without the torch. It does look great do but I feel really naked without the big ass tower shield I was using...
It's okay, it's not as if there's anything dangerous in The Gutter anyways. Just a bunch of hollowed undead (often without a weapon) and some sluggish, skinless dogs that have trouble realizing they're supposed to attack you with their flawed pathing in that place. The statues should be your only concern, but they're still stationary targets.

Blighttown was far more difficult and didn't feel so forgettable.

yatesl

I feel like T
win
D
ragonriders
is the easiest boss to be summoned for so far, not to mention the fastest. I only had 6 Sunlight medals (to my surprised, but also 6 co-op items), so decided to co-op there for a bit. Each fight takes about 30 seconds to a minute with
magic
- although I stick to a steady sword and shield.

People seem to get in, nuke, get out - and here's your medal.

Vitor711

So what's the point of less than 100% physical block shields?

And why is it that the coolest looking shields in NG+ are useless unless they fulfill that stat?

Desperately want to go full Looking Glass Knight cosplay but the shield is useless. There are a few others that fit this mold.

I swear in DkS and DeS it was only great shields that offered 100% damage reduction. Now this seems to be fairly common for the lighter ones also.

It's a vanity concerned complaint but still, bugs me that I can't use the nicer looking stuff based on my tank playstyle.

Grief.exe

After much moaning and gnashing of teeth, I bought Dark Souls 2 on the PC because I want From to make more PC title. I'm eating that crow.

Nothing wrong with rewarding From for making an excellent PC port and an excellent game.

Anyone have tips for the

Apparently, poison works well.

Finally,
Smelter Demon
is defeated. Holy shit did I suck at that fight, but I'm glad I stuck to my guns and did it solo. I fucking sweating here.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Another beautiful Sunday with the sun out and clear skies. Not windy either.

Time to spend it cooped up inside my room playing this videogame.

Smelter Demon
is so much easier in NG+. Overall I feel like NG+ is easier even with the additions of some red phantoms, because you are already fully decked out and know the fights, that and having solid agility levels early on makes a world of difference.

Also power stancing large clubs is ridiculous. Can halberds be power stanced too?

So guys, I've beaten every boss but Darklurker and the Ancient Dragon, anything I should really do before NG+ (apart from these bosses)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom