• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

I have a situation, and it's really frustrating. I was playing the Shaded Ruins, I had two shades in there helping me. 2 of us jumped down the hole, cleared out the Basilisks and I opened the door to Ornifex, the other Shade dropped down from above and angroed 3 of the lion soldier dudes and they jumped down after him. They killed ORNIFEX?!!

I've looked online to see how I can revive her, no one seems to know with 100% certainty.
I've been back to this area 3-4 times and her grave isn't in the room.

Any ideas? Please tell me this has happened to someone else.
This area seems to be loaded to fail, I mean if someone jumped down, freaked over the amount of Basilisks and opened the door in a panic, she'd be killed again...
It's suspicious since she is super valuable...

Isn't there usually a grave where they were for killed NPCs where you can just summon them using souls from? Might take a while to appear though.

I know a lot of folks are sour on this compared to Dark Souls, but I'm enjoying it exponentially more by virtue of it being so well optimized. I'm getting a smooth framerate constantly in this, so I'm able to enjoy it more. Even with DSfix, it could only go so far towards optimization of Dark Souls on my laptop. I won't be able to truly appreciate that game at a fully playable level until I get a big boy PC.

It's such a shame Dark Souls was such a piece of garbage port.

Well did you see this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110625733&postcount=14705 No kidding it runs better!

But really, the overwhelming majority are having a great time from all I've read; they're more sour about the downgrade than anything, and most people who are legitimately unhappy always seem to throw in the "still better than 90% of games though" at the end of their rants.

Orayn

Well did you see this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110625733&postcount=14705 No kidding it runs better!

But really, the overwhelming majority are having a great time from all I've read; they're more sour about the downgrade than anything, and most people who are legitimately unhappy always seem to throw in the "still better than 90% of games though" at the end of their rants.

To me, that kind of like my experience with the Zelda series. Even if one entry falls short in some areas, it's still an amazing game when you put it on an absolute scale.

Durante

If you don't mind me asking, what section are you in? That should give me a good idea of how much further you have to go.

Took me roughly 53 hours to clear dark souls 2, and that's coming from someone who has 200 hours of experience in OG Dark Souls under his belt.
I just finished the
Iron Keep
, and I have reached but not really started
Shaded Woods
. Did
Grave of Saints
though.

I should note that I'm doing a lot of coop, and that I'm generally very slow (let's charitably call it "meticulous" :p) at games (especially any that have rewarding exploration, and doubly so if they also reward caution). I'm also avoiding looking up stuff during my first playthrough.

famfrit

Dear GAF, It's possible to run this game in the HIGH/720p in my notebook with a i7 3610qm and a 640m or it s a better choice to go with the PS3 version?

Only ask that because the future mods, at least now I 'm trying to beat Demon Souls (c'mon guys, that shrine of storms level 2 is making me crazy, but thats why I like this game)...

wickfut

Banned
Still progressing with my tinkering..

Dramatic:-
16-2-1398980409.jpg

16-1-1398980409.jpg

Full
16-3-1399161652.jpg

16-2-1399161652.jpg

:)

Orayn

Dear GAF, It's possible to run this game in the HIGH/720p in my notebook with a i7 3610qm and a 640m or it s a better choice to go with the PS3 version?

Only ask that because the future mods, at least now I 'm trying to beat Demon Souls (c'mon guys, that shrine of storms level 2 is making me crazy, but thats why I like this game)...

I found a video of someone who says they're running it on a laptop with slightly worse specs at 40-60 FPS, seemingly at 1080p. So yeah, I think you'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX624Ofy77k

neoism

so is it just me or does the atmosphere of DS make you like feel shit this is the only game I even feel like I'm there... That skeleton boss yesterday was INSANE never got my heart rate up that much lol with a game... But because I do I can only play for about 3 hour max.. its really draining. I guess it's just me really playing and feeling not wanting to die at all. I think that's why I really hated Demon Soul's I bought the game based on Gaf... played it for 4 hours but quit because I felt like I was getting no where I really wasn't used to playing a game the really didn't tell you shit about it.. But I legitly was a little scared to play DS1 not really sure why I got that "feeling" but I played it for like 40 hours or more and only killed the second spider women boss... But I succked still and died a lot...( I just get mad and quit) But the other thing about this game that no other game is like other than probably D3 is I love to watch this game definitely speedruns... I watched DS1 alot of loooved it but when I played it I got that really uneasy feeling and it was just draining... But DS2 isn't as bad but it is nice that a game give me this feeling..ore anything at all Do most of you just YOLO the fuck out of this game and dun really care..?

I <3 this game though ...

Zomba13

Is it just me or is this game huge? At 47 hours in I haven't even been to all the areas. It seems larger out of the box than DS1 even with the expansion.

I've been thinking this while playing. When seeing the travel screen I though that'd be all the areas in the game but then I filled it up and hadn't even seen a bunch of places from the release trailer. I've got so many boss souls and so many areas I can go though and I've still not seen them all.

Hell, I'm not even sure what I'm doing here. Like, my goal. In Dark Souls it the first thing to do was ring the bells and you were told where they are (up and down), I may have accidentally skipped something from the Emerald Herald but I don't know my goal here. I know the overall thing, undead curse, find the king, but not sure what me going through this land is doing towards that. All I know is I'm going places, killing bosses and opening up more and more and more and more places to go.

elfinke

I have so much Giantbomb content to catch up on, far out. 100hrs of Dark Souls 2 has really eaten into my normal flow of digestion.

Also, PvP is fucking great, lag and all. Ancient Dragon bonfire is where it's at!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn, they made the
Chariot
boss pretty tough since the beta. That or I'm underpowered severely. I can't reach the second helper in time before I or my summons get taken out. Spells aren't useful and the only two weapons I can wield effectively is a shortsword and fire shortsword, so I can't kill the
skeletons permanently
it's driving me crazy if that's even possible.

Gbraga

I've been thinking this while playing. When seeing the travel screen I though that'd be all the areas in the game but then I filled it up and hadn't even seen a bunch of places from the release trailer. I've got so many boss souls and so many areas I can go though and I've still not seen them all.

Hell, I'm not even sure what I'm doing here. Like, my goal. In Dark Souls it the first thing to do was ring the bells and you were told where they are (up and down), I may have accidentally skipped something from the Emerald Herald but I don't know my goal here. I know the overall thing, undead curse, find the king, but not sure what me going through this land is doing towards that. All I know is I'm going places, killing bosses and opening up more and more and more and more places to go.

You're seeking the larger, more powerful souls that lead to the primal bonfires so you can seek the king.

Leezard

Damn, they made the
Chariot
boss pretty tough since the beta. That or I'm underpowered severely. I can't reach the second helper in time before I or my summons get taken out. Spells aren't useful and the only two weapons I can wield effectively is a shortsword and fire shortsword, so I can't kill the
skeletons permanently
only spoilers on this boss in this post.
To kill the skeletons permanently, you need to find the necromancers and kill them.

H2Yo

Isn't there usually a grave where they were for killed NPCs where you can just summon them using souls from? Might take a while to appear though.

Well I've been back about 4 hours later and it wasn't there. Maybe it counts how many times you warp to that zone?

DukeBobby

Damn, they made the
Chariot
skeletons permanently

That's probably the only boss in the game that I feel is harder in co-op, especially when all 3 of you are trying to squeeze into the same hole.

Booshka

Yep it caps out at 38 for agility so if you would like to go ahead.

This is a bad suggestion in my opinion, more VGR (up to 50) is always worth it, especially if you are up in things face whacking at them and not casting from afar. You can't count on dodging everything with i-frames or L33t skills. You just need more Hit points to survive a lot of what happens in Souls games.

Also, for PvP, a lengthy HP bar is pretty demoralizing to fight against; when I see squishy 20 VGR players I get a little twinkle in my eye and go for the two shot kill with my Great Club.

Zafir

Well I've been back about 4 hours later and it wasn't there. Maybe it counts how many times you warp to that zone?
Did you check the NPC's second location in brightstone as well? Outside of that I'm not sure. I know I've heard people say it can take a few hours for NPC graves to appear, but never experienced it myself.

H2Yo

Damn, they made the
Chariot
skeletons permanently

This boss is actually super easy. I was able to solo it without getting hit at all.
First you'll want a shield with 100% physical protection. As soon as you spawn in, run into an alcove and put up your shield. The skeletons will attack but won't kill you or get through your stamina before they are killed by the chariot. Make your way up one alcove at a time per chariot lap. There are only two necromancers in this stage so once you kill them the skeletons will stop spawning.
Soon you will get to a switch, pull it and it will close the gate and the chariot will crash. You will then have to fight the horse.
Fight it at a distance and you'll be fine.

UrbanRats

Still progressing with my tinkering..
Hey man, i'm playing with your ENB (regular one, i'm personally not a big fan of the dramatic one) and just want to say that it looks amazing.
A bit dark at times, but overall, it's a joy to look at... and i get 60 fps more or less rock solid!

Haunted

Is it just me or is this game huge? At 47 hours in I haven't even been to all the areas. It seems larger out of the box than DS1 even with the expansion.
There is a lot of unique content in this game, that's for sure.

First playthrough took me a bit over 60 hours and I didn't even do purposeful PvP or level up in most of the covenants. I did all the PvE content except for one optional boss, though!

And that's playtime without the usual RPG padding sidequests or fetch quests. It is, without a doubt, a huge game.

Why do they make the only weapon I've wanted to try (Katanas) so gosh-dang RARE!

[...snip]
Do most of you just YOLO the fuck out of this game and dun really care..?

I <3 this game though ...

This game has certainly surprised me more than most, which I suppose means I'm very, intently focused on the game. By that I mean there have been a few times where I've been legitimately startled or surprised by something - which is more than I can say for most games. Encounters with new enemies are sometimes thrilling, however the most consistently engaging and intense events are high stakes bloodstain retrievals as well as any kind of player interaction (mostly invasions).

Invasions can be especially stressful and intense, and since I'm playing in this game's heyday I've experienced waaaay more than in DS1. ...being a clangorous comrade might also be a factor... Fortunately this exposure has helped me adapt to the intensity of these encounters.

I hope they further refine the interconnected elements of Dark Souls, because this is a very unique and compelling formula.

Zomba13

Controller is acting up so a good time to post some of my thinkings on this game.

Not 100% sure on going back to having an NPC to level up especially when she lives at a bonfire and you can now travel freely between any bonfire at any time. Seems like no change from Dark Souls level up at any bonfire thing except this time there is a load screen between it which doesn't even matter on PC because the load times are so fast compared to the console versions.

I like how the town fills out over time as you find more and more NPCs. Firelink Shrine is cool and all but I like how the town looks with the sunset and sea. It's very pretty.

Not a real fan of some of the bosses being pretty easy and their mechanic being to throw a bunch of them at you. It's cool if you do it once or if they are mixed up (like Smough and Ornstein in DS1) but when it's just multiple of the same boss it just seems like a lame attempt to get you to use co-op. eg (boss spoilers)
The three Ruin guards, The Belfry Gargoyles, The skeleton lords, The Royal Rat Vanguard (though this was an interesting fight)

I loved that boss that was a huge DS1 reference

You can really tell how they planned for the sconces and fire to be a huge part of the game that was scaled back immensely at the last moment. There are a few things that you can use fire on but from what I've seen there is only one place you really need the fire to navigate. I'm using Durante's GeDoSaTo and the SweetFX profile that makes the game darker/look better (imo) and even with that you can see pretty well in the dark.
Watching the GB coverage of the game (the QL, We're playing Dark Souls Too) You hear them talking about the sconces and how they must do something if you light them all and stuff and not realising they are there because of the old lighting system (they even mention how there is still dynamic lighting as they run around with the torch lit at the end of Part 01).

Making Jump it's own button when running is great. I like how fat roll is 70%+ and below that is normal/quick roll (and I think below 30% is super fast roll or something? I dunno). Don't like how long it takes to drink or use a lifestone.

Damn, playing this game again as a miracle user and I feel like a complete badass now that I can use the lightning spear. It made the P
ursuer
trivial and that part in the forest with the multiple
iron turtle
guys, that kicked my ass as a melee character, was really easy too.

Any other cool miracles I should check out? I'm looking for the "cool" effect mostly, lightning spear seems powerful enough already as far as damage goes.

Not 100% sure on going back to having an NPC to level up especially when she lives at a bonfire and you can now travel freely between any bonfire at any time. Seems like no change from Dark Souls level up at any bonfire thing except this time there is a load screen between it which doesn't even matter on PC because the load times are so fast compared to the console versions.
That was such a weird choice, did they justify it in any way?

ugoo18

Any point in investing anymore points into Attunement?

I've currently got 6 slots and the Southern Band Ritual + 2 ring for a total of 9 slots.

Booshka

So is there a way to pick out illusion walls without mass wallchecking?

Some wall textures are more prone to illusory walls than others, and they usually stand out a little bit more than others, but for the most part you just have to spam X/A and rely on messages.

The few that you have to attack are a little more noticeable, overall though, they aren't as pronounced as previous games.

Durante

I may have accidentally skipped something from the Emerald Herald but I don't know my goal here. I know the overall thing, undead curse, find the king, but not sure what me going through this land is doing towards that.
You did skip a crucial part of the Herald dialogue :p

Still, I thought getting the
4 souls
would be the early part of the game, like ringing the 2 bells was, but clearly it's not.

There is a lot of unique content in this game, that's for sure.

First playthrough took me a bit over 60 hours and I didn't even do purposeful PvP or level up in most of the covenants. I did all the PvE content except for one optional boss, though!

And that's playtime without the usual RPG padding sidequests or fetch quests. It is, without a doubt, a huge game.
Yeah, that's what I meant. There's no padding or much content reuse, not even a lot of time spent reading dialogue (not that I dislike that!) and it's still huge.

TheSeks

only spoilers on this boss in this post.
To kill the skeletons permanently, you need to find the necromancers and kill them.

Oh, I know. I figured a holy-element or something would prevent that, but I guess not.

Guess it means having to power through the area to get them.

Orayn

Basically this.

hrlXSG4.png

Videospel

So is there a way to pick out illusion walls without mass wallchecking?

At least one wall
(to the second bonfire in Drangleic castle, just before the dragon riders)
seemed to be missing its lower "ledge". Didn't notice anything special with the others though, I had to look them up online... I liked them better in demon's and dark 1. Kudos to anyone finding them by themselves.

Got invaded, bastard got me down to a sliver of health, so I jumped to my death to not give him the satisfaction of killing me.

I'm such a coward.

Somebody just did that to me... hmmm... but the thing is I was plenty satisfied, possibly even more satisfied than I would have been if I had struck the killing blow myself. And I still got my chunk. So HA

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

4 souls
would be the early part of the game, like ringing the 2 bells was, but clearly it's not.

In terms of length, getting the 4 greats souls in this is about equivalent of getting the Lord Vessel in DS1.

Mistel

Banned
This is a bad suggestion in my opinion, more VGR (up to 50) is always worth it, especially if you are up in things face whacking at them and not casting from afar. You can't count on dodging everything with i-frames or L33t skills.
As long as you go don't surpass the hard cap your probably fine. About 100 or so agility is probably all you need.

vmqnGAq.jpg

Played the PS3 version and PC version back to back while getting all the trophies/achievements. 150+ hours on both version. PC version so good. Not going back to the Ps3 version ever.

Question. I can't remember where this was, I want to say it was the Gutter or Black Gulch. There was a long cave hallway that opened up to a very large and dark open area, with two huge monsters. I'm trying to find it again and I can't locate it. Where was this?

Orayn

4 souls

I can't say for sure because I'm not finished yet, but it seems like relative length of the main game and endgame are inverted in terms of both length and linearity.

EDIT: Yeah, what Sinatar said. I think the first part is maybe 65% of the game.

TheSeks

But seriously, I'm thinking I'm probably under-powered severely:

It's probably what is screwing me up in that fight more than the allies that fight has.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Question. I can't remember where this was, I want to say it was the Gutter or Black Gulch. There was a long cave hallway that opened up to a very large and dark open area, with two huge monsters. I'm trying to find it again and I can't locate it. Where was this?

Gulch.

Orayn

How am I supposed to kill the
elephant guards
at the castle?

Carefully and separately. If you lure them far enough down the steps, they'll eventually start to go back up together. At that point, you can hit one with a ranged attack and he'll turn around and fight you you while the other keeps retreating.

The actual fight isn't that bad, they don't use their shields much and most of their swings are very wide and easy to dodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom