• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
First bonfire of Huntsmans copse, the cave behind you should have an NPC in a Chair. If you have certain Faith and Int Requirements (8/8 I think) then you can talk to him and buy hexes and he will also give you stuff if you have more than base requirements for a lot of hexes. Later on there is a covenant that specializes in Dark, as covenant rewards you will get Hexes and Chimes, and can also purchase more.

Ty. So do I need faith to use dark spells? I smell a respec if so

Gbraga

Another thing that I considered for this Aldia theory was
"King Vendrick condemned his brother to the mansion". Navlaan is locked there, and you even have signs telling anyone who stumbles there not to dare release him.

Piano

Banned
Two questions that got missed in my last post:
Is it like the first game where there isn't much if any need to buy equipment because you can always find good drops?
Can a weapon from near the beginning still carry you through if you keep upgrading, as was the case in the first? Or, I guess, TWO weapons since the durability is now so low on everything. Any tips on that?

Also, is there any point in upgrading armor this time around?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it like the first game where there isn't much if any need to buy equipment because you can always find good drops?

There are great weapons that are dropped and and great weapons that are sold.

Can a weapon from near the beginning still carry you through if you keep upgrading, as was the case in the first? Or, I guess, TWO weapons since the durability is now so low on everything. Any tips on that?

Yea like the first game almost every weapon is viable in some way or another. Having a backup weapon isn't a big deal, just make sure to carry some repair powder with you.

Yea unlike the DkS1, upgrading armor makes a huge difference in the amount of defense you get.

On buying equipment: depends on your build. Certain armor and weapons can only be bought. More the former than the latter.

On upgrading armor: personally it depends on your armor. I fully upgraded the cover armor and that's what I'll be using in NG+. I don't ever have to worry about armor again. I think it depends on when you find what you think will be your endgame armor.

Grief.exe

Loved that lore video on Aldia. Watched part of the one on the Iron King as well from that guy's channel.

I love how Dark Souls lore works. You just need to read the item descriptions and connect it logically to NPC dialogue and geographical proximity.

Fit all of that together with a few logical leaps. The years tend to cloud the information to a degree.

Here is the current World Record for Any% on the current version of the game. Distortion2 is right now the fastest runner, but Noobest is at his heels and Santzo is starting to learn the skip as well. All bosses is held by Elajjazz.

DkS2 runs are starting to get really entertaining, pretty optimized and damn fast.

Bookmarked, thanks. Had no idea there was a resource like this.

Gbraga

Loved that lore video on Aldia. Watched part of the one on the Iron King as well from that guy's channel.

I love how Dark Souls lore works. You just need to read the item descriptions and connect it logically to NPC dialogue and geographical proximity.

Fit all of that together with a few logical leaps. The years tend to cloud the information to a degree.

I love the Iron King story, it feels very different from the usual melancholic tone the Dark Souls stories have, here it feels, creepy, I guess. I usually get sad reactions when I watch lore videos, but in that case it was just "damn".

DasFool

tumblr_miuqw1nA9O1s2lqsao1_400.gif

This made me crack up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
+10 Pyromancy Flame? Check.
+5 Smelter Sword? Check.
+5 on all pieces of Smelter Armor? Not on this playthrough, that's a LOT of Twinkling Titanite. Maybe on NG+.

2 quick questions (again)

1.) What is a cool looking shield that would go well aesthetically with Smelter Demon?
2.) What is the best Pyromancy that takes up 1 slot for PVP? I'm thinking the strongest version of that one which summons pillars.

Zomba13

Kinda want to power through now so I can watch a bunch of lore videos and start digging into the lore. I mean, I could do it now but I don't want to find links to places I haven't been to yet and once I get to NG+ then even if I missed things myself during the first playthrough I don't feel spoiled as I'm most thorough on my first playthrough so if I miss something there I don't feel bad for 'spoiling' myself.

I kinda feel bad though at how much I've used summons to get through bosses. In Dark Souls and Demon's Souls I didn't summon much (usually due to not being human much and then being a royal spellcaster on my most recent DeS re-playthrough). I think it's the quantity of bosses making me use summons more. I think I end up using summons on the multiple enemy bosses and there are a shit ton of them compared to previous Souls games and I've discovered I'm not a fan of them. Gimmie a big ass demon or a one on one duel to the death with a knight corrupted by darkness or a giant dog any day.

Edit: Also I would love to watch that DkS2 done in a hour speed run. I was shocked at the speed people raced through DkS1 in but I getting through this in an hour is on a whole over level.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Holy shit at that
Shrine of Winter
bypass at about the 18 minute mark, I'm still watching but it blows my mind what I'm seeing. :)

Could have sworn that skip got patched out. Either he is playing on 1.00 or he did it slightly differently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You can try parrying the pursuer to leave him open for the ballista but that might be harder than just fighting him. I'm trying to get used to parrying and the pursuer is hard enough already.

Ah, so the hint was real. I'm gonna try, I like to parry fools.

guys. fuck the
Iron Keep
. Seriously

I make it through the bullshit that is the furnace room only to find the last fire room. Manage to make it through that to be greeted by one of those iron mace guys. My options are get pounded or burned alive.

Seriously. fuck this place

Booshka

DkS2 with Shrine Skip is similar to Kiln Skip in DkS1. DkS1 in 51 minutes without Kiln glitch is far more amazing than shrine skip in 53 or even 51 min (if it gets there) for DkS2.

Zomba13

guys. fuck the
Iron Keep
. Seriously

I make it through the bullshit that is the furnace room only to find the last fire room. Manage to make it through that to be greeted by one of those iron mace guys. My options are get pounded or burned alive.

The way I got through that is to run past the opening down to him (straight past the fire). It'll agro him. When you can run past the fire again, back where you came and he'll just stroll through the fire and kill himself :D

Could have sworn that skip got patched out. Either he is playing on 1.00 or he did it slightly differently.
It got patched but this is a different skip.

guys. fuck the
Iron Keep
. Seriously

Did you miss the ladder in the furnace room? You're inside the giant bulls head statue you can see from Magarold's windows, at the top of the ladder is a bonfire and a switch to turn off all the fire spewing horse heads.

You can also just bait the turtle guy into attacking, roll back, go in for an attack, rinse and repeat.

Booshka

You might like this then:

Dark Souls 2 - All bosses beaten in 2 hours and 11 minutes

And this is the just console version with long loading times.

I've seen All Bosses as well, I follow a lot of the Runners on Twitch.

All Bosses on DkS1 is also more impressive lol, it's mainly the amount of optimization and skill of execution that was required late in Dark Souls life. The routes were really fast, and there was so much that you could fuck up on to ruin a run.

Gbraga

About Aldia, Priscilla and the Emerald Herald:
I didn't think too much into the obvious Priscilla reference because I couldn't find a connection that went beyond just a nod and the fact that I guess both could be considered crossbreeds of dragons, but what if it really is a nod, but to clarify what many people couldn't about Priscilla? Many theories regarding her parents and the Painted World of Ariamis, but nothing solid on why she's such a terrible abomination, what if the nod is to make us apply our knowledge on the Emerald Herald to Priscilla? Maybe Seath's intentions were to break the curse using this new breed of dragon?

Priscilla may have been considered an abomination and locked away before he could even come to a conclusion (or maybe he just went nuts before that was possible), but that also brings me back to the Aldia = Tseldora (or someone close to the duke) possibility, it would make sense for Seath to try it again now that he has direct influence over the world through Tseldora. Now he/they create Shanalotte, a new dragon crossbreed to try to break this curse.

I have absolutely no evidence of anything, it was just a thought that crossed my mind and I decided to share to hear other people's opinions on the matter. I love Priscilla, but I can't figure out a lot about her and judging from the little research I did, it seems to be common to speculate a lot about her origins, but no one has any idea about her objectives.

Booshka

Would it be too much to hope for that this is them fixing stuff around for PvP?

Hopefully mass bannings are going down, and Soul Memory fixes, phantom range, hitboxes, all kinds of balance issues. Hopeful thinking lol, I will probably have to wait at least a year for most, if any of that stuff to be fixed.

Damn. Finally done with
Iron Keep
outside of BellBroing. Even managed to take down the boss on the first try. Very awesome.

Annnnd i think I'm done for the night.

The way I got through that is to run past the opening down to him (straight past the fire). It'll agro him. When you can run past the fire again, back where you came and he'll just stroll through the fire and kill himself :D

I tried that...and he somehow got the timing down and then punished me on the ladder.

Did you miss the ladder in the furnace room? You're inside the giant bulls head statue you can see from Magarold's windows, at the top of the ladder is a bonfire and a switch to turn off all the fire spewing horse heads.

You can also just bait the turtle guy into attacking, roll back, go in for an attack, rinse and repeat.

haha. son of a bitch, I missed the ladder. Thanks

UrbanRats

Lol, i'm committing genocide in the
Iron Keep
, but i did the
Old Iron King.
I beat it on my 4th try, but 2 of those times i
fell in the lava like an idiot
, he was pretty easy otherwise.

On the other hand,
Smelter Demon
... shudder.

I've been summoned like 8 times, and only managed to beat him once, and because we had a badass mage doing most of the damage (so me and the host were just basically taking aggro).
Then tried once with two phantoms for myself, and died with him at about 25% health.. goddamn.
Still unbeaten.

Aside from that, soloed a lot of other bosses, most of them easy, some of them weirdly so (those
3 mages
, or that
Rats filled room
).

I feel like some of them were more annoying than challenging, like the
Rat Authority
, it took me three tries, but all because
of the toxic minions

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I usually don't level Vigor at all but I don't think I can get away with that using a dual wield char.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so is there any good reason to not jump into NG+ immediately after beating the boss?

I mean I feel like there's some side stuff that I missed, but I might just grab that on the next trip round

tuna_love

Banned
guys. fuck the
Iron Keep
. Seriously

In that furnace room you can kill most of then with levers and running over the pressure plates.

So I got 2 daggers, infused them with poison, set up power stance and L1 them constantly and now I can instantly poison nearly all enemies in 3 attacks.

This is insane. Might just switch them out with bleed.

Zafir

so is there any good reason to not jump into NG+ immediately after beating the boss?

I mean I feel like there's some side stuff that I missed, but I might just grab that on the next trip round
If you care about achievements, the map one requires you to go back to talk to him after the final boss I think.

Prodigal

Banned
Any of y'all havin' a graphical problem where the screen goes almost completely white and everything starts to blur? It's happening to me every 2 minutes...

I'd love to keep playing but I might have to stop because I can't play the game at all when this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom